PDA

View Full Version : Bucket of Buckles ?

Drm50
05-18-2021, 04:57 PM
I just got about a water bucket full of these buckles. They weigh about 4lbs and are hard. I suspect large zinc content. I really have no idea what they are for. 1st guess was some kind of diver weights. They would be out of place here in SE Ohio. Anybody know what they are and composition?283152

trails4u
05-18-2021, 05:08 PM
look like dive weights to me..... could be any composition.

toallmy
05-18-2021, 05:10 PM
Diving weights could be anything but probably are lead .

Markopolo
05-18-2021, 05:17 PM
yep... diving weights for sure!!!

Budzilla 19
05-18-2021, 05:34 PM
Be worth more for dive weights than boolit lead! Might have to do a little selling , but I bet you the diving community would snap them up! Go to the scuba websites and go from there! Just my .02
Good luck.

Rickf1985
05-18-2021, 10:04 PM
They are dive weights but as far as selling them to divers it might not be as easy as you think. I haven't dived for many years but I was talking to a guy at the range who has been an active diver for 50 years and he was telling me that the new equipment is completely different from what I used. The weights and ballast are all semi automated now and lead is going away. I couldn't quite grasp how what he was describing would work but apparently it does. I doubt there is any zinc in them, zinc is lighter than lead and the whole idea was most weight in smallest package. Do an acid test on them to find out.

Dusty Bannister
05-18-2021, 10:06 PM
Just about like the ones I make from contaminated lead alloy. With the open mold you can pour anything from 2-4 pound weights. Check your area for dive clubs around large lakes. I would suggest you file a clean spot and apply a drop of muratic acid to check for zinc in the alloy. No zinc reaction, it might be a decent bullet alloy.

NyFirefighter357
05-18-2021, 10:29 PM
I have dive weight molds like that, probably COWW. Check them with muriatic acid see if it foams. Just a drop or 2 per weight will be enough. I would wire brush a small area on the back to test.

Winger Ed.
05-18-2021, 10:42 PM
It was common in the old days for people or shops to make them from plumbers Lead and or tire weights.
Those sources were much more common/plentiful than they are today.

I'd melt one and try casting boolits or even fishing sinkers with it.
It'll probably work out well.

contender1
05-18-2021, 11:08 PM
I too concur with the fact they are dive weights.
I still have molds from when we made the ones we used in our shop.
Nowadays, "soft weights" which are sealed pouches of lead shot are more common for divers to use. (And more comfortable.)

Most likely, as noted, plumbers lead or WW material. Test for zinc, and check for hardness & go from there.