PDA

View Full Version : Coating lumps

gnappi
05-18-2021, 01:55 PM
I PC'd a pistol linear compensator yesterday in silver over a black coating of some kind. The powder stuck perfectly without shaking, I just closed any openings with silicone and dunked it in the powder. After tapping the comp on a tray to get excess powder off of it, I baked it. The first coat was very good but the black was still lightly visible under the PC, so I dunked it again and after cooling there was no sign of black.

A minor issue is the powder lumped / clumped / ran in spots and I would like to know if these areas could be sanded flatter or should I just strip it and try re-applying the paint? I could live with the few clumps I guess, more so than the black come on a stainless gun but I wondered if there's a simple remedy for clumps on a finished part.

Smoke4320
06-08-2021, 10:07 AM
strip.. clean with acetone, clean then clean again. let dry at least a few hours then recoat

Finster101
06-08-2021, 10:13 AM
You will never get a really smooth coat without a spray gun. You still need to prep well as Smoke stated.

Burnt Fingers
06-08-2021, 11:23 AM
You will never get a really smooth coat without a spray gun. You still need to prep well as Smoke stated.

This right here.