PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 35891 in a S&W Model 52

goodwrenchldj
05-16-2021, 07:10 PM
I just loaded some ammunition for a recently purchased S&W Model 52. Lyman 35891 with 2.7 grains of Bullseye for a cartridge overall length of 1.198 which is the SAAMI max length. The bullet is slightly recessed into the case. These rounds easily fit & function in the magazine. I have not shot this weapon yet. Does anyone have experience with this load? Would I be better off loading the bullet backwards and flush with the case mouth? Your thoughts please.

Martin Luber
05-16-2021, 07:18 PM
Classic load my friend. saami has no day on the 52, only magazine length matters.

It may smoke unless you also add tumble lube.

You may get a case bulge at the boolet base ( and it won't chamber) if you have +p design brass that has thicker sidewalls at the case head. Wadcutter brass is preferred

45DUDE
05-16-2021, 07:34 PM
It will work but you will be better off with a dewc seated flush. They were made to shoot a hbwc that will expand and seal at a load speed. Seating deeper raises pressure but it should be ok with 2.7. If it has a good base you can turn it around and seat flush. I have 3 wad cutter 38 autos and tried a little bit of most everything. You could shorten the brass about length of the nose but that is a lot of trouble. I shoot that boolit in my Colt N.M. 38 and my Clark Long slide for practice and save my hbwc's for a match.

goodwrenchldj
05-30-2021, 04:33 PM
I fired 75 rounds loaded as described in my 5/16/21 post and the gun functioned perfectly. Got 1 1/4" groups from a pretty shabby rest. When you load that boolit for your Colt N. M. what is your cartridge overall length? What DEWC do you recommend?