PDA

View Full Version : Date a Rehabber They said

Wolfdog91
05-16-2021, 02:00 PM
Date an animal rehabber they said it will be fun they said your not gonna constantly get bit by various critters they said :grin: just some pictures from some to the animals we've been rehabbing

slim1836
05-16-2021, 02:08 PM
I have friends and family that informally rehab critters, it takes a special breed to do so. Glad to see a couple more that do. Nice pics, thanks for sharing.

Slim

BigAlofPa.
05-16-2021, 02:21 PM
That is awesome. Nice to see folks who care about animals.

Cargo
05-16-2021, 02:21 PM
Life will never be boring.

HuzzaH!!

BNE
05-16-2021, 02:22 PM
Possum is just an ugly critter. The little ones are kinda cute, but it’s down hill from there.

Good for both of you. It’s fun to learn all the characteristics of critters.
BNE

frkelly74
05-16-2021, 02:31 PM
Look at how the possom smiles at you. He shows you all his teeth. They are a good clean up crew that work for free.

WRideout
05-16-2021, 02:31 PM
My seven year-old granddaughter was born to be a field biologist. We take "nature walks" around our neighborhood, and she is fascinated by the creatures, lately bugs under rocks. She is constantly asking me why bird, squirrels, etc. run away when we get close. I explained it every way I know, but I still don't think she gets it.

Wayne

Der Gebirgsjager
05-16-2021, 02:53 PM
I wouldn't stick my finger in front of that possum!

DG

Winger Ed.
05-16-2021, 02:56 PM
Way cool.

The best hobbies are also ones that pay for themselves.
You can rent out that parrot to your single buddies to carry around at parks and swimming pools.
They're about the best 'babe magnet' that there is.:bigsmyl2:

bakerjw
05-16-2021, 02:58 PM
We have a rehabber a fair ways away from here. A couple of years back I was tilling an area of the yard. I looked down and a pristine baby rabbit got kicked out the back with the dirt. It was unharmed. How it made it through the tines, I have no idea. I stopped the tiller and started looking for other babies and luckily didn't find any. I put the baby in a box with loose grass and headed in to do my research. I research EVERYTHING.
I found that mother rabbits only visit the babies at night or early morning before first light. It is critical that the baby gets some of the bacteria from the mother early on in life and after that, they can be bottle fed and released. This one was too young, so I found the rehab place (Wynnwood Wildlife) and contacted them. They said to bring the baby rabbit out and they would nurse it enough for release.
Many complain that it's just a rabbit. But, having come through the tines of death unharmed and me having been the one to destroy it's nest, I felt responsible for the little thing. I took it Wynnwood and they nursed the little creature to be released. I then became a sponsor for them and will continue to do so because of the work that they do with all animals.

lightman
05-16-2021, 03:01 PM
Good on you for what you are doing! Great pictures too!

Wolfdog91
05-16-2021, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't stick my finger in front of that possum!

DG

https://youtu.be/Eem1BHKwKzQ

Shawlerbrook
05-16-2021, 03:49 PM
You can tell a lot about people by how they treat animals. Congratulations!

Finster101
05-16-2021, 03:51 PM
Way cool.

The best hobbies are also ones that pay for themselves.
You can rent out that parrot to your single buddies to carry around at parks and swimming pools.
They're about the best 'babe magnet' that there is.:bigsmyl2:

Yeah, nothing screams "Mr. Right" more than a guy with bird poop on his shoulder.

Winger Ed.
05-16-2021, 04:29 PM
Yeah, nothing screams "Mr. Right" more than a guy with bird poop on his shoulder.

The smart guys leave it in the cage.
But you do what works best for you.

444ttd
05-16-2021, 04:36 PM
possums eats ticks and they don't usually carry rabies. i hate rabies and i don't like ticks!!!!!!!!

https://possumfacts.com/do-possums-carry-rabies/
https://possumfacts.com/do-possums-eat-licks/

smithnframe
05-16-2021, 05:37 PM
Good job...........very good job!

Finster101
05-16-2021, 07:05 PM

You have to remember I'm in Florida. There are plenty of want to be pirates here especially near the beach.

Great job on the rehabing. The young ones are always cute.

Winger Ed.
05-16-2021, 07:37 PM
You have to remember I'm in Florida. There are plenty of want to be pirates here especially near the beach.

I forgot about that.

But being in a tourist, party destination---
You might want to tell the city boys that if they want to impress the ladies at the beach,,,,
they need to put the potato in the FRONT of their bathing suits.

LUCKYDAWG13
05-16-2021, 07:40 PM
That's pretty cool is that a fox snuggling on your neck

bedbugbilly
05-17-2021, 08:38 AM
What an uplifting post! Thanks for sharing and giving a nice start to the day - good folks with big hearts helping out God's creatures when they need help . . . . a good lesson and reminder of the truly important things in life.

Burnt Fingers
05-17-2021, 12:35 PM

My feathered child is a person just like you or I. If we're home he's most likely out of his house and on either his mom or dad. We've had Munchkin for close to seven years now and I can count on one hand the number of times he's pooped on me. If he has to poop he lets me know and I take him to a poop place. He loves pooping in the toilet or the garbage can.

Munchkin is a Goffin's Cockatoo, but he knows he's a people. He communicates with us all day. Verbally and non-verbally. Right now he's cuddled up on my right shoulder preening. Parrots and cockatoos are one of the few animals that can tell you they love you and know what it means.

The other day I was talking with my wife about cutting/trimming my beard. It's been growing for just over 8 years. Munchkin was on my shoulder at the time and suddenly slid down on my chest looked me in the eye and said "no". He loves my beard. He hides under it and plays with it. He's never seen me without it. He had strong opinions about me cutting my beard.

Parrots are little people in feather suits.

Mr_Sheesh
05-17-2021, 09:53 PM
Wolfdog91, your success in not getting bitten just may have to do with how fast your reflexes are? LOL Looks pretty quick so far, no gore, that's good :) I've mostly stuck with cats and dogs, but there is lots to do to help critters.

Burnt Fingers, have you seen the youtube vids where they have dogs and cats pushing buttons to 'talk'? (billi talks or something, and bunni speaks? there are other channels too.) Pretty interesting. Parrots don't need buttons, handy for them. Critters are a lot smarter than some people give them credit for. Billi was telling her mom that she hated her music in one, Bunni told her mom to shut up in another, teenagers LOL

uscra112
05-17-2021, 09:58 PM
Possum is just an ugly critter. The little ones are kinda cute, but it’s down hill from there.

BNE

AMEN! I'd rather rehab a Democrat.

gwpercle
05-18-2021, 08:48 AM
Possum rehabbing ??? ...
All I can say is ...You must really Love that little Lady to do that for her ![smilie=s:
Gary

Fishman
05-18-2021, 06:27 PM
In my job, we have reason to contact the local rehabber on a fairly regular basis. It is a never-ending task with little thanks. So thanks!

Wolfdog91
05-18-2021, 07:17 PM
And she just texted me this :redneck:

Wolfdog91
05-18-2021, 07:18 PM
Possum rehabbing ??? ...
All I can say is ...You must really Love that little Lady to do that for her ![smilie=s:
Gary

Lol it's actually not all that bad. Just bottle feed them and change their bedding . Pretty easy to care for actually, now that fox on the other hand lol

imashooter2
05-18-2021, 07:24 PM
Why in the world would anyone rehab a possum? The proper course of action is to smack it with a shovel.

Wolfdog91
05-18-2021, 08:29 PM
Why in the world would anyone rehab a possum? The proper course of action is to smack it with a shovel.

It's a baby critter that need help . It's not an invasive soooo.

SeabeeMan
05-18-2021, 08:38 PM
Growing up my mom did animal rehab. Bathtubs full of racoon babies, deer in the yard, hawks and eagles in the garage. I was always confused because my mom would tell us that baby bunnies just never survive, then she'd tell people that brought nests of them in that they'll be fine. I realized after a while the baby bunnies were hawk and snake food!

Mr_Sheesh
05-18-2021, 11:46 PM
If you just socialize cats and have "a few" *cough* in a 2BR apartment, that'll keep you busy, too. Bit different workload and definitely different rewards, all of it needed.

Idaho45guy
05-19-2021, 02:07 AM
When I first moved to Arizona, my neighbors across the dirt road were rehabbers. Wonderful folks who always had a variety of interesting critters to get to know. From Chloe the skunk, to the twin baby owlets, Oliver and Percival, they had all sorts of cool creatures.

I loved going over and visiting them and the latest rescue. Wild creatures are cool, and even cooler when you can hold them and get to know them.

Murphy
06-05-2021, 05:00 PM
Just now seeing this post. Good on you and your lady for doing the rehabbing.

Murphy

Scrounge
06-06-2021, 08:41 AM
Growing up my mom did animal rehab. Bathtubs full of racoon babies, deer in the yard, hawks and eagles in the garage. I was always confused because my mom would tell us that baby bunnies just never survive, then she'd tell people that brought nests of them in that they'll be fine. I realized after a while the baby bunnies were hawk and snake food!

It's a quicker end than starving to death. Bunnies and squirrels are just rodents with better PR than rats. ;) I've raised (well, really, my Dad raised the ground squirrels/chipmunks) them, and kept both pets and meat animals of the rodentia. Rats make good pets, except that they don't live very long even with the best of care. And grown rabbits have teeth the size of wood chisels. And are not hesitant about biting. Ain't no fun when the teeth meet going through the web of your thumb.

(also kept a Sidewinder baby once upon a time...)

Bill

Bill in OKC

Scrounge
06-06-2021, 08:43 AM
And she just texted me this :redneck:

They are so cute as babies. Unfortunately, they grow up. Some of them get really big. And they can be pretty mean when they're grown.

shooterg
06-07-2021, 07:13 PM
My NaNa Dean woulda fed that possum corn for a few weeks and then invited him to be dinner !

GregLaROCHE
06-07-2021, 10:54 PM
I didn’t see any pictures of snakes or alligators. They often need to be rehabbed too.
Good luck. It looks like you are really enjoying what you’re doing.

richhodg66
06-08-2021, 07:47 AM
Not sure what everybody has against possums, coons are way nastier animals any day of the week.

Some frinds nearby had a mother and litter of foxes living under their shed. They set out a Havahart trap intending to relocate them, caught one of the babies and it was so cute, they couldn't do it. They let it out, put the trap away and enjoy watching them now.