PDA

View Full Version : tin question

Mike in MD
05-15-2021, 04:59 PM
I have some Tin tea kettles that I was wondering about. Might they be the same as some of the tin muffins I have purchased from members here or is the tin we use as casters alloyed with something else? Should I keep it ... can I use it ..... can I melt/render it in my current lee melting pot?

The hallmark is GATELY & ROGERS QUADRUPLE 182 AND I think STAMPING WORKS RODCHESTER, N.Y. ROCHES

Thanks, Mike

MT Gianni
05-15-2021, 05:21 PM
I would google them to make sure they are not an antique or collectible. Many people suffered from lead poisoning from soldered tin cooking products and most were done away with over 100 years ago.

GregLaROCHE
05-15-2021, 05:45 PM
A lot of people melt down tin objects so they may use the tin in boolit casting. I have some objects I plan to melt down and others that are more valuable to me as they are.

William Yanda
05-15-2021, 05:49 PM
It has been my experience that items marked quadrupleplate are silverplate over a pewter base. This is based on both online research and observing them melt similarly to items marked pewter, and the visible remnants of the silver coating.

dondiego
05-15-2021, 06:53 PM
There is a sticky in the Lead and Lead Alloys page that is a world of info. Check it out!

Dusty Bannister
05-15-2021, 07:14 PM
You say tea kettle, but perhaps you mean tea pot?

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=gately+%26+rogers+quadruple+182&qpvt=GATELY+%26+ROGERS+QUADRUPLE+182&form=IGRE&first=1&tsc=ImageHoverTitle