PDA

View Full Version : MiHec mold question

AggiePharmD
05-12-2021, 09:52 PM
I was casting with my 6-cavity MiHec mold today and noticed something. Are these set up to add the Lee sprue lever from Lee's 6-cavity molds? If so, I really feel dense that I'm just noticing this.��

RKJ
05-12-2021, 10:08 PM
I can't answer your question but if they are I've not noticed either, I've been using them for about 5 years now. I use the sprue as it comes with no issues.

Mal Paso
05-12-2021, 11:05 PM
The Aluminum 6-8 cavity molds come with a 3rd handle to open the the sprue plate. The 6 cavity brass has a conventional sprue plate. Haven't been able to buy one in a while but I think this is correct.

kevin c
05-13-2021, 12:38 AM
Every eight cavity aluminum MP mold I own (about a dozen) came with a Lee style cammed sprue plate lever, and all have a countersunk bolt in the side of the right hand block at the cam contact point to take the pressure. There's also an appropriately located hole drilled through the sprue plate where the handle mounts (the handle comes disassembled in the shipping box). The two four cavity brass MP molds I have (one solid, one with HP pins) have hand operated sprue plates and no side bolts.

It'd be unusual for Miha to forget to include anything needed for mold operation, so if you're the original purchaser and it came without a cam handle in the box, no mounting hole in the plate, and if there's no bolt in the side, I'd guess you have a hand operated sprue plate, as intended and designed. I don't have brass or aluminum six cavs, though, and it's possible that the sprue plates are shared across mold types if they have the same number of holes and spacing, regardless of whether a cam is used, so I can't be definite.

AggiePharmD
05-13-2021, 07:44 AM
Every eight cavity aluminum MP mold I own (about a dozen) came with a Lee style cammed sprue plate lever, and all have a countersunk bolt in the side of the right hand block at the cam contact point to take the pressure. There's also an appropriately located hole drilled through the sprue plate where the handle mounts (the handle comes disassembled in the shipping box). The two four cavity brass MP molds I have (one solid, one with HP pins) have hand operated sprue plates and no side bolts.

It'd be unusual for Miha to forget to include anything needed for mold operation, so if you're the original purchaser and it came without a cam handle in the box, no mounting hole in the plate, and if there's no bolt in the side, I'd guess you have a hand operated sprue plate, as intended and designed. I don't have brass or aluminum six cavs, though, and it's possible that the sprue plates are shared across mold types if they have the same number of holes and spacing, regardless of whether a cam is used, so I can't be definite.

Found what you are referring to on opposite corners of each block. Allen flat-head, counter sunk bolt so you can set up depending on your hand preference.

Thanks for the info.