PDA

View Full Version : Insulated toaster oven for heat treating.

JeffinNZ
01-02-2009, 02:09 AM
Team.

I bought a second hand toaster oven expressly for heat treating bullets in order to maintain a degree of domestic harmony. It cost me the princely sum of $12.00.

Well I fire the old girl up and the temperature went up and down like a stripper's knickers. Man that thing flucuated. Something had to been done. There was no way I could heat treat bullets like that.

I dug out the 1/2 inch thick fire proof board I had left over from when I installed our old log burner. I cut slabs to cover the top, back and glass door. The ends of the unit did not get hot to the touch so I figured there had to be a degree of insulation under the panels.

Flucuations are no more I can report; well maybe + or - 15F. And 'she that must be obeyed' wonders why I keep off cuts and crap! HUH!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/Insulatedtoaster.jpg

housedad
01-02-2009, 02:19 AM
Good one!!

I like it.

wilddog45
01-02-2009, 07:42 AM
Sounds like something I need to do as I have been wary of using the family oven. Have you tried it out yet? And if you have what temps does it produce as I have never owned a toaster oven let alone one to heat treat boolits in.8-)

Bret4207
01-02-2009, 08:03 AM
A toaster oven with body armor! COOL!!!

My wife doesn't get the whole " I might need it someday" idea either. Of course that only applies to ME. I won't go into the clothes and shoes, shoes, SHOES!!!!!!!

dubber123
01-02-2009, 09:53 AM
Jeff is yours just a timer and temp model, or does it have different cooking features, (Broil, Bake,) etc? I ask because I bought a decent GE model that has a bunch of different settings, including "Convection". It took a lot of fiddling to find a combination of settings and tray placement, as I too was getting wild temp fluctuations.

I finally found the combo of a tin "blocker" over the lower element, lowest boolit tray postition, and Convection setting that seems to maintain about a 5-8° variation. I'm betting it works well for you.

twotrees
01-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Some of the guys I worked with at Westinghouse R&D Center needed to get just a mite more out of an oven and did what you have done. Result, melted shell and door.

The oven they were working with, went to higher temps, than yours, but watch the door in particular.

We teach a class in Metals where I work now and use a Toaster oven to hold Aluminum at 350 F, before testing. The one we have holds temps well, as long as we ask for 200 F +. The Kids kid me about that thing each year, but it keeps on keeping on.

Good luck with your "High Tech Heat Treat Oven".

JeffinNZ
01-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Team.

Oven has grill and bake settings so I use bake. Works just great No problems getting reliable temps at 450F at least.