PDA

View Full Version : Gunsmiths and BPCR Shooter - Farmington NM

bhfury
01-02-2009, 01:33 AM
I want to buy a Winchester 1885 Highwall 30” barrel no sight BPCR 45-90 from Texasmac (Wayne). Since these guns come without sights, I want to have someone put a tang, front, and barrel sight on the gun for me. I’m fairly new to the Farmington NM area and I’m not sure how good the gunsmiths are in the area. Also, are there any BPCR shooters in the area who can give me some advice on who to use or general BPCR questions? I’m strongly considering having the gun sent to Lee Shaver to have him put all the sights on and doing a trigger job.

If you would like, please contact me at bhfury@aol.com

Thanks,
Greg

August
01-02-2009, 01:42 AM
Well, you may not be comfortable with this, but installing sights on a modern high=wall is a pretty simple do-it-yourself project. Two screws to install the rear. The front sight requires some filing/sanding to the bottom surface to fit it to the dovetail -- a little patience and trial and error.
Sight installation will take you about an hour.

You can remove the trigger from the rifle and send it to Lee. He provides complete directions for doing this.

Now, the reason I've suggested this alternative is that shipping a highwall with a target barrel is very expensive and the rifle has some fragile characteristics (stock and sights). I think it cost me seventy dollars to ship and insure a high-wall recently -- one way.

I know you're looking for a different answer, but I had to give my $.02 worth.

Badger barrels has someone in the Farmington area they recommend for working with their product. Give 'em a call.

bhfury
01-02-2009, 02:01 AM
August - Thanks for the response. The sight I worry about installing is the tang sight. Also, I really don't want to chance something and screw up the gun or barrel. Good idea to cantact Badger Barrels - I will do that....

Thanks again,
Greg

martinibelgian
01-03-2009, 07:08 AM
Greg,

Even I (with my 2 left hands) am capable of installing a tang sight on a rifle - just take your time to look and think it over at your ease, and you'll wonder why you ever thought of sending it to a 'smith...
Even getting the staff plumb isn't all that much of an issue, just take your time and shim the correct side.

bhfury
01-03-2009, 08:55 PM
That's what I'm hearing :drinks:

Char-Gar
01-04-2009, 05:25 PM
When I lived in Farmington about 15 years ago, there was a gunshop right downtown that did gunsmithing and they were capable of doing the work you want. They may or may not be there anymore.

For real serious stuff I took my guns to Score High in ABQ. They are a top notch place who can do anything you want and more. They are still there. I know it is long drive to ABQ but it is pretty and there is always the pit stop in Cuba.

montana_charlie
01-04-2009, 07:43 PM
Southwest Shooting Authority, in Farmington, claim to have a full-service gunsmithing service.
http://www.southwestshootingauthority.com/

Seems like using your hometown smith beats sending a rifle to Lee Shaver in Missouri for such a common task...unless you already know something bad about the locals.
CM