PDA

View Full Version : Might need some parts made.

beezapilot
05-11-2021, 06:10 PM
Well, bought a nifty and uncommon vintage shot gun! When you buy a nifty and uncommon vintage shotgun you make a HUGE discovery... ain't many parts out there.

I picked up a Remington 870 Competition. Now this is a weird hybrid of 870 and 1100 technology. It is a single shot pump action shotgun with an 1100 style gas piston assemble in the "magazine tube". The end result is a VERY low recoil trap gun.

There are two buffers, one looks like a stepped washer with an ID of about 5/8 and another heavy spacer. From what my research has lead me to believe these parts are not on a standard 1100. Checking out various forums there may be a bit of demand- but they only made about 5500 of these, so don't know how much of a market there really is.

The material would be subject to a fairly harsh environment, don't know what kind of material you can use / print with.

Anyway, I'm going to continue looking for off the shelf parts, but may need a back up. Is this a possibility???????? # 42 and 43....

RedlegEd
05-11-2021, 07:31 PM
Hi,
If you still have the original parts, I suspect someone with a lathe could easily turn them from Delrin or Nylon. You could 3D print them, but I'm not sure most of the filaments used in hobby printing could stand up to that kind of wear. There are commercial 3D printing organizations that can print using much stronger materials. It may be worth checking them out.
Ed

beezapilot
05-11-2021, 08:19 PM
I think I've enough of a lathe to make them, I looked up Delrin, sounds like it has most all of the required qualities- save shock absorbing. I don't know if there might be a more "rubbery" plastic with the toughness required. The original parts look like the material they used for the old fiber washers. I'm sold on giving them a go to make them, any other suggestions on plastic types? Something that might absorb shock???? I know a bit about wood, but plastics are a mystery.

RedlegEd
05-13-2021, 12:54 PM
Hi,
If you are looking for something with a little more elasticity, how about urethane? You can get it in different durometers (i.e. "softness".) Here's a link to a place that sells it. (https://www.urethanestock.com/) The only thing is I'm not sure how easily it will machine or turn on a lathe.
Ed

country gent
05-13-2021, 02:40 PM
It might be easier to make a mould and cast them from polyurethane. here the hardness ( durometer) can be adjusted by the material used. It would have the cushion desired also. t would mean mixing 2 parts of the material and pouring into mould then allowing to cure even better would be a pressure pot or vacuum pot to cure in.

Alumilite is one source of the material

Moulds can be made of metal or silicone material and formed from existing parts.

Mr_Sheesh
05-14-2021, 08:44 AM
I've considered 3d printing a mold, then using that to mass produce parts, seems doable for lower precision parts.

If you need better precision, look into local model railroading clubs, fairly often they find someone who can make molds and has the rest of the needed equipment, and will do it for reasonable costs.