PDA

View Full Version : Air cylinder adaptation-automation

cheese1566
01-02-2009, 01:13 AM
Has anybody contemplated or prototyped mounting a pneumatic cylinder to a sizing press?

I am toying the idea in my head about adapting an air cylinder (similar in idea to hydraulics-only uses air power) to move the sizer up and down at the touch of a control lever.

I think it could be done for about $50 give or take some fittings...

I think this, coupled with a Auto Lube Feeder from CastingStuff would speed production, other than buying an expensize Star...

1hole
01-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Sounds like a fast way to loose a finger to me.

garandsrus
01-02-2009, 02:41 PM
Cheese,

I would be interested in what you come up with. As long as you are using a bullet feeder, I don't think there would be safety problems.

John

klcarroll
01-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Hmmmm…….

1hole is right: …..There is an inherent problem in pneumatic circuits with controlling the speed of an “unloaded” piston. Due to the expandability of compressed air, piston speeds can be very rapid.

A safer and more precise solution might be to use an “air-over-hydraulic” configuration. All this requires is the addition of a couple of diaphragm type accumulators to the system, where the pneumatic pressure can be converted into hydraulic pressure.

The non-compressibility of hydraulic fluid then lets a simple flow control valve produce a nice, controllable ram speed, regardless of loading.

Kent