PDA

View Full Version : Ruger strikes again!!

cwtebay
05-10-2021, 10:53 PM
Ruger SBH, mold from a member ( pistol purchased from a member!!!) 44 yards, 1 shot.
Gotta say, love my Rugers!!!https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210511/2fc93aa8839dafc4cc561071e43c37f3.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

CoolHandMoss
05-10-2021, 10:57 PM
Whatever that is, we don't have them around here. Is that a porcupine?

cwtebay
05-10-2021, 11:13 PM
Yes, it's a porcupine.

CoolHandMoss
05-10-2021, 11:14 PM
Bad ass.

44Blam
05-10-2021, 11:51 PM
Nice.

My wife says I can have a porcupine but I cannot have a concubine.

cwtebay
05-10-2021, 11:59 PM
Nice.

My wife says I can have a porcupine but I cannot have a concubine.That's a little close minded of her!

megasupermagnum
05-11-2021, 02:26 AM
I hear porcupine tastes great, but I've never seen one in the wild. The only one I've ever seen was dead on the road.

smithnframe
05-11-2021, 06:33 AM
Gonna eat it and not waste it!

Texas by God
05-11-2021, 07:47 AM
Good shot and nice looking Ruger! You now have a years supply of toothpicks!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

dahermit
05-11-2021, 08:21 AM
I have seen tape worms in Porcupines. Eating them can be risky.

brass410
05-11-2021, 08:40 AM
one of the few animals that can be relied upon as survival food if lost in bush, they can be easily hunted (they're not fast, easily dispatched a stone or stick will do) they have a high fat content meat which supplies a lot of energy as you will discover when you butcher it kinda like a fall bear.

GhostHawk
05-11-2021, 09:00 AM
Brass410 nailed it. I have seen 2 in the wild in my life.

They hated them at the old logging camps. Porky's crave salt, so a good axe left out overnight might be missing half its handle in the morning.

Pulling those stickers out of a dogs nose is no fun job either.

rintinglen
05-11-2021, 10:06 AM
"Pulling those stickers out of a dogs nose is no fun job either."

Amen, brother, Amen. My Uncle, my father and I spent the best part of an afternoon pulling spines out of Daisy's snout. Works best if you cut them first and then pull them out with pliers.

cwtebay
05-11-2021, 10:20 AM
I gave it to a bunch of folks at a survival camp to eat and utilize, I have eaten them before and it's not bad.
Mostly I killed it because it was in my horse pasture.

BigAlofPa.
05-11-2021, 10:44 AM
Great shot. Them 44's will thumb game for sure.

quilbilly
05-11-2021, 05:10 PM
Here is a fun fact about the porkies that had me laughing myself silly. I was in the eastern Washington desert one evening and saw porky lumbering along a small basalt ledge so watched what he was doing from about 200 yards. Lo and behold he made a hop up that ledge to the next level. I had no idea that a porcupine has a four foot vertical leap from standing still. Next day I went over and even measured it. Who knew!?! That bit of useless information made the whole trip worthwhile.

NEKVT
05-11-2021, 05:37 PM
I have turned a porcupine into jerky using a Cabelas hickory mix. Can't tell what it is when cured and dried...tastes like jerky!

LUCKYDAWG13
05-11-2021, 05:45 PM
I hear porcupine tastes great, but I've never seen one in the wild. The only one I've ever seen was dead on the road.the trick is to pickle the baby porcupine and eat them head first:mrgreen:

Gofaaast
05-12-2021, 01:03 AM
I see them most years elk hunting. Couple years back there were several bears in the area I was hunting along with a healthy porcupine population. I was walking in before daybreak and put a couple to bed in a large blueberry just at daybreak. I was trailing them threw some large sage and just knew the noise was a bear before I silhouetted the first one climbing in the blueberry bush. A couple years prior one of the guys took a selfie with one one afternoon in some dark timber.

David2011
05-12-2021, 01:54 AM
I was surprised how many I saw between Big Spring and San Angelo, TX. Mostly dead along the highway.

Mohawk Daddy
05-12-2021, 03:36 AM
I've only seen one alive in the wild. Me and a couple of companions walked up on a big porky who was eating apples from a tree at an old abandoned house place. We walked up to within 3 or 4 paces of him and he had no interest in us at all, just kept on munching away and wouldn't even look at us. He was on a limb about 4 feet off the ground. I believe we could have dispatched him with a walking stick, but we left him to go on with his business. Good shot with the Ruger by the way.

reloader28
05-12-2021, 09:29 AM
Are you sure he was eating apples or was he eating the bark off the tree?
Growing up on a ranch, we kill every one we find.

Markopolo
05-12-2021, 09:37 AM
they are very damaging.. they used to knaw and chew on everything around my camp in the interior. one day one of the ladies in the camp came running out of the bathhouse hollering.. a porcupine had wedged himself between the toilet and the wall and was not gunna leave.. i convinced him to leave with a toilet plunger.. they can take quite a plunging before making the decision to actually head for the door...

dondiego
05-12-2021, 10:59 AM
They certainly like the plywood used for the walls of my out house at my hunting camp! They even stand on the toilet bowl and lean over to get to the plywood walls from there. They climb up in my trees and eat half the bark off the branches causing some trees to die or get real deformed. I used to run bird dogs and I have some sad stories about that too.

fixit
05-12-2021, 12:55 PM
I have heard (no experiences...we don't have them in Indiana) they will eat the tires off your vehicle, when road salt is being used!

cwtebay
05-12-2021, 01:41 PM
I have heard (no experiences...we don't have them in Indiana) they will eat the tires off your vehicle, when road salt is being used!Hoses - yes, flat tires - yes, leather, wood, trees, never had one chew in inflated tires...... but I am of a live and let live mindset. I kill them if they're close to my home or livestock, but they are kinda fascinating little creatures!
Oh - and DO NOT.... repeat - DO NOT clip the ends to pull them from a pet or horse (or yourself). They're hollow, not filled with some "toxic gas". All clipping them does is make pulling them harder!!! The tips are barbed and the black portion is fairly solid, so grap them as close to the entry point as possible and pull straight out slowly. Think of pulling a post out of the ground, would it help to saw off the part sticking out?
(In the spirit of full disclosure - I do this for a living - I definitely charge more when some jack wagon decided to clip the ends before bringing them in).

gwpercle
05-12-2021, 02:16 PM
I thought you had killed Punxsutawney Phil ... scared me there for a second !

Fricasseed Porcupine
First you make a dark roux ... need I continue
Gary

AndyC
05-12-2021, 03:09 PM
they can take quite a plunging before making the decision to actually head for the door...
For some reason that visual made me bust a gut :)

Butzbach
05-12-2021, 06:39 PM
Hmm, let me see . . . the last one I saw was in the Huron National Forest in Michigan in the early 1970s. My cousin had just shot it with a 30-30 about 25 feet up in a tree. I got quite an education about how much of a nuisance they are by reading this thread. I had no idea.

NEKVT
05-13-2021, 08:14 PM
This tree was girdled and died.

A nearby tree is scarred but still alive.

From activity I've seen around my cabin property they seem to be attracted to the few mature Hemlocks at least in the winter when you will see the snow littered with the tips and pieces of branches. Being so low to the ground their trails look like troughs in the snow. I have seen many but have never shot one. The one turned into jerky mentioned previously was shot by a fellow bowhunter and he didn't want to waste it so jerky it became.

jimb16
05-13-2021, 08:37 PM
Used to see them all the time at the fishing camp in Canada. See them occasionally in the Allegheny National Forest where we camp. One our dogs (long gone now) decided to try a bite. Fortunately, he only get a couple of quills. Never wanted to go near another one. Reddi was a fast learner! *LOL* None around here though, and I'm glad of it!

Three44s
05-15-2021, 03:05 AM
Shot on sight!

Damage to trees, cattle and dogs. Do not tolerate them around here.

44 is good medicine and the .480 is even better!

Three44s

Cosmic_Charlie
05-15-2021, 04:28 AM
I think Fishers, those large weasels, are the only animal that eats porcupines.

Lloyd Smale
05-15-2021, 04:30 AM
dad always said dont kill the porkys. He said that someone lost in the woods without a guns best bet for a meal is a porky. I didnt listen to well back then though and how many people do you know that were lost in the woods and ate a porky!!

dahermit
05-16-2021, 04:41 PM
one of the few animals that can be relied upon as survival food if lost in bush, they can be easily hunted (they're not fast, easily dispatched a stone or stick will do) they have a high fat content meat which supplies a lot of energy as you will discover when you butcher it kinda like a fall bear.

How often are porcupines seen in the wild? How many people are actually lost for an extended period of time in the wilderness? How many people have actually attested to being lost and have eaten a porcupine? Wilderness survival stores are not reality. Lets try and stick with reality.

brass410
05-17-2021, 10:28 AM
angry city lady incessantly complaining to the veternairan about the high cost of having quils removed from her lap dog for the third time this summer. She quiped you'll probably be able to go to the islands for the the whole winter and I'll be stuck here in the country side with my dog full of quills again!! The olde vet looked over his specticles perched rather far down on his nose and replied " No mam I'll be here breeding porcupine all winter for spring release"