PDA

View Full Version : Mold for OO Buck??

klcarroll
01-02-2009, 01:03 AM
I really want a six cavity (or more) mold for OO buckshot!!

Do you guys think there would be enough interest to get a "Group Buy" going???

Kent

turbo1889
01-02-2009, 03:34 AM
If we are talking a Lee six cavity mold for #4, #1, O, OO, OOO, or OOOO buck I'm interested.

Or if we are talking a buckshot mold for any of the above mentioned sizes that is made like Cap'n Morgan's buckshot mold I'm even more interested:

http://img77.imageshack.us/img77/6789/mold1xw3.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

http://img168.imageshack.us/img168/9499/buckshothp1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

klcarroll
01-02-2009, 03:48 AM
Well, ...I was originally thinking of a Lee six-cavity; .......But I would buy one like Cap'n Morgan's in a heartbeat!!!

Kent

Euan
01-02-2009, 04:17 AM
I have been casting my buckshot with a Lee 310 cal two cavity mold. It is painfully slow when I'm loading 12 31 cal balls in each shell. I have had good success with the 31 cal balls from wheel weights.
So I would be in for one.

acemedic13
01-02-2009, 05:14 AM
Count me in on the group buy!!! By the way, That is really cool mold. Look's like it would leave you to re-melting that stem piece but, hell who cares? It is 16 pieces of buck at a time. Really cool pic.

shotman
01-02-2009, 05:16 AM
there is [or was] a member here that makes them--skiesunlimited-- they work ok but you will need to put better handles on them

ihunts2much
01-02-2009, 05:41 PM
I just bought a #4 and 00 from skiesunlimited and they look real good.

ovendoctor
01-02-2009, 06:50 PM
there is [or was] a member here that makes them--skiesunlimited-- they work ok but you will need to put better handles on them

I am happy with my 00 mold

the handles do get warm

the biggest problem I have is the hing pin drops out wen the mold gets to temp.

it doesn't take long to fill a can with buck shot:drinks:

hate the thought of going back to the lee single cavity mold:groner:

ihunts2much
01-02-2009, 09:13 PM
I read about your problem with the hinge pin in another thread, I was thinking about drilling and tapping to install a set screw.

klcarroll
01-02-2009, 11:09 PM

How many cavities do the molds have, and how much did you have to pay???

Kent

shotman
01-03-2009, 12:05 AM
the sharpshooter is about $40 and is double sided cast 20 at a time. Y ou need to get a cheap set of side cutters and grind the bottom to cut the sprut clean. 1 hour in rock tumbler and look as good as factory. If anyone want his email post here and will put it up

Just Duke
01-03-2009, 06:43 AM
I would like to get ahold of the fella that makes the moulds please.

Muddy Creek Sam
01-04-2009, 12:39 AM
the sharpshooter is about $40 and is double sided cast 20 at a time. Y ou need to get a cheap set of side cutters and grind the bottom to cut the sprut clean. 1 hour in rock tumbler and look as good as factory. If anyone want his email post here and will put it up

shotman would like the contact info.

Thanks,

Sam :D

Just Duke
01-04-2009, 12:47 AM

I would like one of each too.

ihunts2much
01-04-2009, 12:26 PM
I do not have his e-mail, I contacted him though ebay. He sells under skiesunlimited. I beleive he is a member here as well, you couyld send him a PM

klcarroll
01-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Yes, …..”Skiesunlimited” is a member here.

I used the “send email” forum option to contact him and enquire about his product. He responded with this picture, and the following short email:

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q84/klcarroll/themold.jpg

“When molds are available they are sold on Gunbroker or E-bay. At this time I am sold out. Mold sizes are #4 through #0000 buckshot. #4 through #000 have 20 cavities, #0000 has 10. All molds are $34.95 plus $5.00 shipping to all 50 states.
Thanks
Rick”

Personally, I think all of us who are interested should contact him to let him know how much business is waiting!!! (LOL)

Kent

Muddy Creek Sam
01-04-2009, 03:14 PM
I sent him a PM.

Sam :D

jsizemore
01-04-2009, 06:02 PM
You can buy a cheap jewelry trimmer at wally world. Fashion Tools #4463 flush cutter. It's over in the crafts section next to the beads.

Just Duke
01-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Someone should invite this talented resourceful fella to this thread. :)

Fish_N_Russ
01-04-2009, 09:09 PM
Geeze I have a ton of shot like that for making fishing weights.....dont know the size but its 1/10th and 1/6th oz weights.....I have a special mold from do-it that makes em.

Cap'n Morgan
01-05-2009, 01:40 PM
If there's enough interest I guess I could run a batch of molds for a few sizes of buckshot. Only problem; I live in Denmark, and shipping would make individual ordering rather costly.

Also, I wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes if they're trying to make a living out of mold making, while I do it mostly for fun. :neutral:

klcarroll
01-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Cap'n Morgan;

If they're good, multi-cavity molds, I have NO problem with paying a little bit more for shipping!

I have two Saiga shotguns to feed, (..a 12 Ga. and a .410) ...and they go through buckshot in a hurry! (LOL)

Kent

cobby
01-05-2009, 07:20 PM
I would be intrested if you are willing to post to Australia :-|

Russel Nash
01-05-2009, 07:25 PM
How about the "Do-It-Mould" that is normally meant to cast "ammo" for a sling shot?

anybody here ever try one of those?

Silicon Wolverine
01-11-2009, 03:13 PM
ive tried both and i found the skiesunlimited mold works better. i used a side cutter thats ground down on the face to cut them off the tree so i dont have to run them in a rock tumbler. i just run them as is and the patterns are exactly the same as the ones that have been tumbled. no appreciable difference and i can make them MUCH faster by eliminating the tumbling step.

SW

Silicon Wolverine
01-11-2009, 03:17 PM
here is the profile of the ebay seller with email and private message links.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?u=3703

SW

Blammer
01-11-2009, 05:57 PM
I'd like to have #4 buck on one side and 00 buck on the other. :)

klcarroll
01-18-2009, 10:07 AM
Hey!!!!

"Skiesunlimited" is selling his buckshot mold on Ebay again!! (I just bought one.)

Kent

ovendoctor
01-18-2009, 10:46 AM
bought a pair of flush cut side cutters for trimming tie wraps[the boss wines wen he gets scrapped]they are kleins work great

also fixed the hing pin issue with a machined shoulder bolt .250x1.250

no more falling out ;)

centershot
01-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Here's a link for the "Do-It" sinker molds. Anyone know what a 00 buckshot pellet weghs?:confused:

http://www.do-itmolds.com/category2.aspx?c=10

shotman
01-19-2009, 02:08 AM
you can look him up in the members list at top .I found a cutter that works real good. Pet toe nail trimmers. If you have a Big Lots near they sell for $1 pair. I am going to get some more sets So if you cant find them and want a pair PM me and will send you a set at what it cost to send. He has any size[well he was out of no3] you want

freedom475
01-19-2009, 02:32 AM
If there's enough interest I guess I could run a batch of molds for a few sizes of buckshot. Only problem; I live in Denmark, and shipping would make individual ordering rather costly.

Also, I wouldn't want to step on anyone's toes if they're trying to make a living out of mold making, while I do it mostly for fun. :neutral:

Wonder if we could get this set up as a GB with a Honcho so Cap'n could send just one package to the states and a Honcho could divy them out to the buyers?

freedom475
01-19-2009, 02:34 AM
I just did a pretty good search of ebay and can't find these moulds.??? Has he shown any interest in offering a batch to us as a GB?
Hey!!!!

"Skiesunlimited" is selling his buckshot mold on Ebay again!! (I just bought one.)

Kent

turbo1889
01-19-2009, 03:04 AM
I just bought the last OO buck mold skiesunlimited had up for sale on e-bay plus talked him into selling me a "grade-B" with a few cavities with machine swirls in them #4 buck mold at a discount. Said it would be a week or so before he had any more sizes besided OO buck to sell, and no current listings for that size either, something about going on a trip.

Recommend others start looking him up after that time period if they want a size other then OO buck, I myself still need to grab up a couple molds for the other sizes as well.

Sorry, freedom475, but I beat you to the draw -- I ran an advanced search on his completed listings and it looks like I wasn't the only one. Had some previous auctions sell out pretty quick as well.

As far as the, Cap'n Morgan, molds GB goes nobody said I wasn't still interested -- would probably want a custom 410" ball diameter though -- would make real quick work of 410 round ball slugs cast from soft alloy for sure. Don't think skiesunlimited would do custom sizes just the regular buckshot sizes.

turbo1889
01-19-2009, 11:44 AM
HEADS UP !!!
I just checked e-bay again and skiesunlimited just listed three fresh auctions for three more OO buck molds:

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/skiesunlimited

AR15-SBR
01-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Man... I am glad I jumped on one yesterday. :-D

AR15-SBR

Cap'n Morgan
01-19-2009, 01:22 PM
Wonder if we could get this set up as a GB with a Honcho so Cap'n could send just one package to the states and a Honcho could divy them out to the buyers?

Fine by me...

I have a few ideas for a simple alu mold that would work with a set of standard handles & a Lee bottom pour.
About 2 x 10 size #0000 if stacking them properly - more in the smaller sizes.

Give me a couple of months, and I'll make a test mold to work out the optimal runner and inlet size. Then we can take it from there.

Tristan
01-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Thanks for the heads-up...

- Tristan

turbo1889
01-19-2009, 04:30 PM
. . . I just checked e-bay again and skiesunlimited just listed three fresh auctions for three more OO buck molds:

http://shop.ebay.com/merchant/skiesunlimited

Down to just one left - two have sold.

southpaw
01-19-2009, 06:01 PM
I bought one (00) a while back and I love it. It takes a few cast to get it up to temp but when it gets there its smooth sailing. The mold is kinda smaller than I was expecting, no prob tho. One thing that I learned is that you need to have gloves on both hands when using ( I kept grabbing the inside of the handles for some reason). Kinda smarts after a few times... I would like to get one in #4.

Papa Foxtrot
01-19-2009, 06:15 PM
Down to just one left - two have sold.

Gone...

cobby
01-20-2009, 06:05 AM
Just bought a "00" Would like to get a #4

EMC45
01-20-2009, 06:29 AM
Are these fixed prices or are they auction prices ie; highest bidder? I only ask, because they are on Ebay.

turbo1889
01-20-2009, 08:23 AM
Are these fixed prices or are they auction prices ie; highest bidder? I only ask, because they are on Ebay.

All of the listings I've seen so far have been "Buy it Now" single price style listings at $34.95 + $5.00 continental 48 shipping.

shotman
01-20-2009, 09:42 AM
look in the members list at top of page. under S --skiesunlimited-- email him he dont get on here everyday . He has many sizes it not out of stock.. The hinge pin is a problem but a bolt fixed mine

mikenbarb
01-20-2009, 05:08 PM
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/mikenbarbj/002-21.jpg
http://i374.photobucket.com/albums/oo185/mikenbarbj/001-22.jpg
I use a Palmer shot mold #500. The first is .329dia, #2-.284dia, #3-.255dia., and the small ones are .220dia and BB size and all are approx. sizes. It works great and it was 15 bucks!

shotman
01-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Those are a ROUGH ball I had one and scraped it Rick

mikenbarb
01-20-2009, 05:25 PM
This one has a couple rough ones but most are nice and round. You can also touch them up with the proper ball cutting bit.

KCSO
01-20-2009, 06:13 PM
I got a couple squares of aluminum from the metal broker (Enco ???) I then faced off and matched a couple and used a ball cutter for a dremel tool for a cherry. Since this was for buck shot I clamped the pieces and drilled a short pilot hole for the shank and then used the mill to cut 1/2 a ball in each side. It didn't come out perfect but when they are done i drop them in my roller plates and they round right up prefect. Other than time I have about $5 in a mould that drops 10 buck shot at a time. Now if you count my time yo could have bought about 5 of those sinker moulds!

fallout4x4
01-24-2009, 02:03 PM
I think I got skiesunlimited last 00 buck mold. The casting is sharp and the machining is quality. Im happy with it, still have to try it yet but soon.

AND I told him he needed to be selling here!

22lover
01-26-2009, 11:47 AM
I'd be up for one, depending on price of course, if a group buy comes together. Been looking for a way to make my own 00.

BCall
01-26-2009, 03:16 PM
I got my mold today. I had asked Skiesunlimited about a #4 mold, and he said he would be doing them next, probably in about a week. He offered me a "second" or blemished mold at a great price, and I took it. It still looks good. Some slight swirl marks on the mold face, but nothing in the cavities that I can see. Hope it warms up a little soon so I can go try it out. Billy

cowboyin2nite
01-31-2009, 01:00 AM
He just listed some more there are 4 left $34.95 plus $5.00 shipping

cobby
02-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Would anybody care to share some starting loads in 12g for the oo shot mould ?

Cheers Cobby

kycrawler
02-02-2009, 08:56 PM
i load 17.2 gr red dot in win aa or remington gun club hulls with a win white wad federal or remington sts primers 9 00 pellets stacked in the hull nice mild load and kills coyotes just fine

bearcove
02-02-2009, 09:52 PM
Do-it molds sells molds called slingshot ammo I think 4 different weights. I use their molds and they are better than what LEE makes

cobby
02-03-2009, 03:39 AM
Thanks Kycrawler sounds like a good starting point

Shooter6br
02-15-2009, 12:09 AM
I load 12 ga birdshoot and Lyman slugs .Want to cast and load some 00 buck. What method is used? What info is around to load your own. Thanks Rick :castmine:

klcarroll
02-15-2009, 02:55 PM
Thanks Kycrawler!

That sounds like a nice, easy load to duplicate.

Kent

vonnieglen
02-16-2009, 11:37 PM
Do-it molds sells molds called slingshot ammo I think 4 different weights. I use their molds and they are better than what LEE makes

This is only my second post on the forums and I have learned alot and gotten really excited about casting after reading the discussions. I would have to respectfully disagree that the Do-it mold is better than the lee molds. I have several Lee round ball molds and the Do-it 1/6oz / 1/10oz mold. In my opinion it is an apples to oranges comparison.

I really do wish that Lee made the .311" RB in a six cavity mold. I have cast a couple thousand .311" balls with the two cavity mold and it does seem like a waste of time compared with making bullets. It takes nine of them to load a shell. I can turn out about 300 in an hour, but I can make the same number of bullets with a two cavity mold and they are probably worth several times as much. For me producing bullets with a mold with a sprue cutter is like my wife playing solitaire on the computer. I can veg out for hours mindlessly churning out bullets with a bottom draining production pot and dropping them into a bucket of water.

One would think that making ten balls at a time with the do-it mold would be much faster. I could make even more at a time, but I haven't figured out a good way to use the 1/6oz balls in a shotgun shell. I haven't been able to find a routine that works for me, and the end product does not look quite as nice.

With the Lee molds I don't bother fishing the balls out of the bucket until I am through with my run. I've only got a ten pound pot so with the Do-it mold, I have to stop after every couple dozen drops change my gloves, fish the sprues and round ball assembly out of the water. Trim the balls off the sprues. Dry the sprues off. Put the previous batch of sprues in the pot; and let the ones I just took out sit in front of a heater so they can dry completely. By that time the mold has cooled down enough so that the balls aren't coming out quite as nice. It's a little like the rabbit and the turtle story. So far for me slow and steady gets the job done just as quickly. I am still working on it, maybe I'll feel differently once I get a good routine for the Do-it mold worked out.

shotman
02-17-2009, 02:52 AM
I would not take the time to water drop the whole mess in water. The sharpshooer mold cast fast I found that Big Lots sell pet toe nail clippers for $1 pair they work good to cut the sprut. I put them in a tumbler and in about 2hr they are round and cant tell there is a sprut cut

vonnieglen
02-18-2009, 02:08 AM
I am going to give the pet toe nail clippers a try in the morning. I had been using some side cutter pliers and was not that happy with the results. I am going to check the pattern of the wheel weight buckshot dropped in water vs not dropped in water. It probably depends on how hot a load you put behind it. I like the idea of tumbling them to get rid of the sprue cut. I don't really care what they look like but it seems like the flat spot could affect the pattern. I want to test that out also.

I edited my last post because I am actually putting out over 300 balls an hour with the Lee double cavity mold. In the .311" size that is still only about 20oz. I am paying $.40 a pound for tire weights at the recycler near my home with the waste I get that is probably closer to $.50 a pound for the finished product. The last 5 pound box of Hornady buckshot I bought cost me $25. So it takes me an hour to make $6.25 worth of buckshot minus $.65 for the lead = $5.60 an hour at my current rate. Definately not worth it when compared to boolits which I can make at the same rate, but are significantly more valuable.

But when did I ever do things that made sense anyway? If I could get my rate up to 600 balls an hour I think it would almost be worthwhile. Is anyone producing that much with a Do-it or sharpshooter mold?

Silicon Wolverine
02-19-2009, 08:06 PM
with my sharpshooter mold i can mold 600 00 buck in less than 20 min. the biggest problem i have is keeping hte mold cool enough for fast production. it usually overheats after maybe 25-30 casts and i have to switch ot something else.

SW

MissionaryFarmer
02-22-2009, 12:02 AM
Where do you buy the slingshot molds?

diehard
02-22-2009, 12:06 AM
http://www.do-itmolds.com/category2.aspx?c=11

YOu might find a better price with a google search for "do-it molds" though

edit:
like here--
http://www.barlowstackle.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=6&Product_ID=1520&CATID=59

Jaymo
03-07-2009, 04:35 AM
I have the sharpshooter mold in 00 buck and just ordered another one in #4 buck. The 00 will get used in my 12 ga and .410 mostly. The #4 is for my 20 ga Howdah pistol.

shotman
03-07-2009, 04:52 AM
here is the guy that sells the molds $40 makes 20 at a time. he makes any size [almost] email is skiesunlimited@att.net tell him you are from this site and not feebay

guninhand
03-13-2009, 11:46 PM
For those going with the Do-It mold, if you get unsatisfactory fill out, you might try opening up the feed holes with the next size up drill bit that won't poke through the original dimension. I also found that 2 quick back and forth passes under the bottom pour spout worked a lot better than one slower pass. YMMV.

22lover
03-17-2009, 12:59 AM
For those going with the Do-It mold, if you get unsatisfactory fill out, you might try opening up the feed holes with the next size up drill bit that won't poke through the original dimension. I also found that 2 quick back and forth passes under the bottom pour spout worked a lot better than one slower pass. YMMV.

Just got my Do-It mold over the weekend. Tried it out first time this evening. I had problems with more than half of the cavities filling out. I took a piece of well-formed shot, bore a small drill bit into it, and spun it in each cavity w/stainless steel polish. I then cleaned the goo off and smoked the cavities with a candle. I just cast about 200 "00's" in a row with zero problem...not a single cavity unfilled. Snapped them off the sprues with my gloved hands, easily. They looked pretty darn good as-is. They're now tumbling in my little Lyman with a couple pounds of BB's....

cptkeybrd
03-25-2009, 07:53 PM
just got a mold from skiesunlimited. Purchased on ebay, great price 35bucks and 5 buck shipping, got a 00, received the mold in 3 days. the mold looks excellent, makes 20 balls at a time. Haven't used it yet but will report back about the problem some people said with the hinge pin, and best way to cut the sprue. Refer to previous post pictures.
Regards

:castmine:

shotman
03-25-2009, 11:25 PM
I posted before, Big Lots sell pet toe nail clippers for $1 and they do good job, You will find that a better set of handles will make for a better day casting.

Nazgul
03-26-2009, 08:43 PM
I made approx 40 lbs of buckshot in a sharpshooter mold over the last week. I find that if I run it hot, the pot and mold, it works best. When up to temp I open it and a quick tap on the bucket rim knocks everything into the water. It goes quite fast when hot.

A trip through the tumbler and load.

Don

mikenbarb
03-26-2009, 09:20 PM
I just got a couple of the blem Sharpshooter molds he sells from time to time and love them! Take his advice with how to use them and he also includes a P/N of a flush cutter from Wal-Mart for under 5 bucks. I bought two yesterday and they work great and make a nice clean cut at the face of the pellet. Its located in the craft section and its called "The Fashion Tools" Flush cutter P/N- 4463 and it costs $4.95.
PS- Wear good welding gloves when using these molds. The handles get real hot real quick and im going to get some oak U trim to make longer ones so they will stay cool.

Bob Krack
03-31-2009, 07:24 AM
In the group buy forum, the thread "Cast shot from Capt Morgan" is the apparent start of a group buy of the Cap'n Morgan mould(s).

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=49264

Bob