PDA

View Full Version : which furnace to buy, and why.

seabat0603
01-02-2009, 12:19 AM
About 8 years ago I started casting. I bought a lee because it was cheep and did what I needed at the time. Now I am in need of a new furnace and I am looking at the lyman mag 20@ $350.00, or the RCBS pro-melt @ $430.00 .Will you guys please give me your input on the two and which you like the best and why. Tell me if one has better features or is more easy to use. Which is made better is important to me as well. The price isn't important to me. Again thnks-seabat

MT Gianni
01-02-2009, 12:26 AM
If you are a ladle caster instead of a downspouter, consider a WAAGE also. RCBS has a lifetime guarantee that may or may not cover electronics depending on who you talk to. Gianni

94Doug
01-02-2009, 12:29 AM
You could probably do much better than that on price......

seagiant
01-02-2009, 12:39 AM
Hi Seabat,
First,anything RCBS over anything Lyman! I've had both of these pots and you could not give me another Lyman. From QC to warranty,go with RCBS! By the way I bought mine from the nice lady at RCBS by calling and asking if by some snowballs chance they had a scratch and dent model and they did! $200 OTD and I had to look for the scratch real hard to find it! Might be worth a phone call!

Dale53
01-02-2009, 01:12 AM
I have two RCBS' electric pots. The first one was bought new and has cast tens of thousands of bullets. The second one was an estate sale for less than a $100.00. It was full of bullet metal and was like new. Recently I bought a Lyman pot in like new condition for $75.00 at the local club. So, sometimes you can find them used, but I wouldn't count on that.

New Lee Pro-4-20 lb pot is $60.00
New Lyman $257.00
RCBS $340.00

Priced from Midway -others may have them priced even lower (F&M, Natchez, Graf & Sons, etc). Shop around.

If I were buying new, I would try the Lee. Definitely the most bang for the buck. I have been VERY happy with my RCBS (Lee was not available when I bought mine - that's how old the first one was). Whether the Rcbs is worth $80.00 more than Lyman would be up to you.

What it all boils down to is you makes your choice and pays your money...

Dale53

454PB
01-02-2009, 01:25 AM
I'd never argue that the Lee bottom draw pots are anywhere near the quality of an RCBS, but I've owned three of them. The oldest is 35 years, and the newest about 10 years. None of them has failed to perform as advertised. However, they do have their quirks and the ways to handle that are well documented here by using the search function.

crabo
01-02-2009, 01:50 AM
I posted at the range that I was looking for casting stuff. A few months later I got a call and bought 5 H&G molds at a price good enough that I sold 3, paid for the molds and kept the two that I wanted for free. It can't hurt to put your wish list out there.

cajun shooter
01-02-2009, 08:56 AM
As stated above look at Midway. Bought RCBS for 237. Best thing I ever did, It makes casting fun again. Fill it up, set thermostat and forget. No need for thermometer or chasing temps all day as with the Lee.

Tom Herman
01-02-2009, 11:44 AM
As stated above look at Midway. Bought RCBS for 237. Best thing I ever did, It makes casting fun again. Fill it up, set thermostat and forget. No need for thermometer or chasing temps all day as with the Lee.

I bought the RCBS Pro Melt from RCBS: The normal price was a lot cheaper than elsewhere, plus it was on sale when I bought mine!
I've not regretted it. The unit works like a champ! I don't even own a casting thermometer.
Once in a while, I need to run a paper clip up through the spout to clean it, but that's it for real maintenance. I regularly wipe the outside of the pot down with a sponge after casting, as the FA Clean Cast flux leaves an hygroscopic alkaline residue.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

EDK
01-02-2009, 01:37 PM
Telling this bunch of tightwads (me included!) you're going to pay RETAIL...what an opportunity to get harassed. You are in the midst of bargain hunters extraordinare!

I had a SAECO for years...got messed up in a basement flooding and generally wore out after 20 plus years.

Bought a LYMAN bottom pour....when it worked, great...sprout plugging up was a major issue...started using my H&G ladle again. It might need a factory rebuild.

Just bought a LEE Magnum Melter dipping pot and it runs like a champ...especially at approximately $50 from GRAFS. It has inspired me to consider buying a LEE bottom pour as a second pot while the LYMAN gets shipped back for rebuilding.

WAAGE is the favorite of the BPCR guys over at Shilohrifle.com/forums/ BUT there are some horror stories about lack of warranty/customer support. They aren't cheap either!

LEE is my choice. If it craps out and can't be fixed, they'll sell you a new one for half of retail IIRC. For $50, I'd throw it in the trash and get another one rather than mess with it.

:Fire: :cbpour: :redneck:

FN in MT
01-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Bought a WAAGE as I'm a ladle guy. LOVE it!! And...Made in the USA as well.

FN in MT

seabat0603
01-02-2009, 05:30 PM
Thanks for all your input. I listed the retail price when asking my question and I know they are cheaper than what I wrote. Besides, I'm not looking to get taken. It seems that the RCBS is the way to go from what you guys have told me, and it has an adjustable temp to boot. Thanks again for your time on my question- seabat0603

94Doug
01-02-2009, 08:35 PM
Another thing to check out, give RCBS a call. Once and a while they have seconds for sale.

ronbo
01-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Have had the same Lyman 61 melter since the mid 1970's and was going to retire it as the spout started dripping. Bought a Lee and and it felt so cheap I missed the old Lyman. Fixed the Lyman by emptying the pot and reaming out the inside of the spout lightly with a drill bit to clean out the oxidation, polished the rod tip and it's back in service again no leaks.