PDA

View Full Version : The purpose of ogives?

Darth-Vaj
05-09-2021, 11:47 PM
I remember placing my very first order on a set of 8S .308 cal bullet swaging dies. Now I remember being told that for my hunting needs. The 8S is good for the job. What is the purpose of ogives? And why is the 8S ogives is good for my application? Need some more info to understand. Are there specific ogives for hunting and or target shooting? Why that particular ogives? What’s the science behind it?

Winger Ed.
05-09-2021, 11:52 PM
What’s the science behind it?

My understanding is within the constraints of OAL, chamber dimensions, etc., its the most efficient and aerodynamic
way to transition from bore diameter, to OAL and produce the least amount of drag and in flight air resistance
for the flattest shooting & best long range bullet performance.

dtknowles
05-10-2021, 12:17 AM
I remember placing my very first order on a set of 8S .308 cal bullet swaging dies. Now I remember being told that for my hunting needs. The 8S is good for the job. What is the purpose of ogives? And why is the 8S ogives is good for my application? Need some more info to understand. Are there specific ogives for hunting and or target shooting? Why that particular ogives? What’s the science behind it?
I don't think you are sufficiently confulsed yet and need to read this:

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2018/09/bullet-geometry-tangent-secant-and-hybrid-ogives-explained/

As conviluted as that story is it still is oversimplifying the science. Basically long gentle curves have lower drag but a bullet needs a bearing surface so the whole bullet can't be a compound curve. Oh, mach number matters too. Subsonic bullets are best if not pointed. Ideally high mach bullets would come to a sharp point but practically that does not work because they perform badly if damaged or inconsistent.