PDA

View Full Version : Extreme Long Term Storage Of Firearms

jonp
05-08-2021, 01:19 PM
I have several pistols that I never seem to have time to shoot but do not want to continue cleaning them every few months. Maybe pull them out every couple of years or so and shoot them then store them again. What is the best way to store them long term as in several years? I was thinking of 0-20w Synthetic Motor Oil and either a Mylar bag with O2 pack or vacuum pack.

zarrinvz24
05-08-2021, 01:22 PM
Blue guard VCI vacuum bags. Seal it and it’ll be good for 20 years. Crap I see they’ve discontinued the production as of Dec 2020. I guess you’ll need to do it in two parts then, get VCI paper. Clean the firearm like normal and then wrap in the paper. Next place in a Mylar bag and vacuum seal. It should be good for 20-25 years as long as you don’t open it. If you just wrap in VCI paper and place it back in the factory box it will probably last 2-5 years before you need to replace the paper.

Winger Ed.
05-08-2021, 01:24 PM
After one has been out in the sun enough to get really warm, then well oiled, and in a 1 gal. freezer bag is how I do it.
The vac. bag would be better though.

jonp
05-08-2021, 01:32 PM
VCI paper and a vacuum sealer? I have a vacuum sealer but it uses plastic, you know, food stuff. That should work just the same. I assume Brownell's can sell me what I need.

Burnt Fingers
05-08-2021, 01:33 PM
I use Breakfree Collector instead of oil. It's made for long term storage of firearms.

Shawlerbrook
05-08-2021, 01:42 PM
Wipe down with a good rust preventative lube and use these.
https://www.zerustproducts.com/products/firearms-ammo-weapons/vci-gun-storage-bags/

jonp
05-08-2021, 01:56 PM
I use Breakfree Collector instead of oil. It's made for long term storage of firearms.

How is that better than full synthetic

Alstep
05-08-2021, 03:23 PM
I've used RIG for 60 years, but the storage bag system sure looks a lot better and not as messy.

Handloader109
05-08-2021, 04:07 PM
Heck oil up and vaccuum bag
should be great

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Burnt Fingers
05-08-2021, 05:03 PM
How is that better than full synthetic

It's thicker and has better rust protection. Motor oil doesn't have the strongest rust protection out there.

JimB..
05-08-2021, 05:19 PM
Not sure where you are jonp, but I rarely clean the guns that I shoot every couple months, and certainly not the guns that I don’t shoot!

Vci paper, tab or bag should be good as described above. I’ve always wondered about oiling before storing with vci, it seems like the oil will prevent the vci from bonding to the metal. I’d only lube as usual rather than going heavy.

jonp
05-08-2021, 05:31 PM
Not sure where you are jonp, but I rarely clean the guns that I shoot every couple months, and certainly not the guns that I don’t shoot!

Vci paper, tab or bag should be good as described above. I’ve always wondered about oiling before storing with vci, it seems like the oil will prevent the vci from bonding to the metal. I’d only lube as usual rather than going heavy.

NC same as you

zarrinvz24
05-08-2021, 05:33 PM
VCI is the best. Read up on it but it’s the industry standard for corrosion prevention. Yes you can get it at brownells. I’ve purchased theirs before and it works just fine.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/shop-accessories-supplies/gun-storage-materials/gun-wrap-paper/gunwrap-paper-prod1197.aspx

zarrinvz24
05-08-2021, 05:34 PM
Just make sure it conforms to MIL-PRF-3420 class 2 or 3 and you won’t have any problems at all. I prefer class 2 as it is thicker.

jdfoxinc
05-08-2021, 10:16 PM
I use zerust plastic bags. Produce the same vapors as the cci paper.

jonp
05-09-2021, 06:11 AM
https://www.zerustproducts.com/products/firearms-ammo-weapons/vci-gun-storage-bags/

Exactly what I was looking for. I'll get some paper from Brownells for in the safe and these bags for the long term ones in those HF plastic ammo cans. Thanks

Thumbcocker
05-09-2021, 09:44 AM
I think that I would wipe them down good with Ed's red and vacuum seal them with a food saver or similar appliance.

Multra
05-09-2021, 10:30 AM
Cosmoline.

lksmith
05-10-2021, 12:08 AM
I have several pistols that I never seem to have time to shoot but do not want to continue cleaning them every few months. Maybe pull them out every couple of years or so and shoot them then store them again. What is the best way to store them long term as in several years? I was thinking of 0-20w Synthetic Motor Oil and either a Mylar bag with O2 pack or vacuum pack.

I'd be concerned with the motor oil reacting and softening polymer guns over the long term since many have additives to keep seals soft and supple.
I'd say vacuum, o2 pack and VCI paper should last a while. Use mylar instead or or in addition to the plastic and it ought to store indefinitely.

I have some 9mm I loaded and used food saver bags on back in 2008 and have been sitting in the attic (0F to 110F outside temp, probably close to 200F in the unventilated attic) of my shop until recently with the temperature swings and the humidity we have and when I opened it up a couple weeks ago the brass still looked new. These were all reloads that were tumbled and when I loaded I didn't wear gloves. Usually brass has fingerprints in short order from the oil/acid on my skin, these didn't

William Yanda
05-10-2021, 06:59 AM
Do what the govt. did, use cosmoline. You did say extreme.

HATCH
05-10-2021, 09:27 AM
https://www.cosmolinedirect.com/mil-spec-grease-mil-c-11796c-class-3/

jonp
05-10-2021, 01:47 PM
Extreme to me means 5yrs or so. I like to shoot what I have if I can

Rick R
05-10-2021, 03:18 PM
I tried Boeshield T9 on a set of steel molds several years (5-8) ago. Still in my unheated shop, still no rust. I intend to clean them and try casting boolits in them this week.

jonp
05-16-2021, 12:05 PM

Ordered Wednesday direct Fed Ex Express envelope and they were here Friday. Can't ask for better service.

zarrinvz24
05-16-2021, 12:23 PM
Just to clarify, the USGovt has not used cosmoline since the 50’s. They transitioned to VCI products, and sealed heavy plastic/Mylar bags.

Char-Gar
05-16-2021, 12:25 PM
In 1960, I helped a gunsmith prepared a couple of rifles for long term storage. He put a can of Rig on a hotplate and turned it to liquid. He applied it to the firearm and stock with a small paint brush. I did the same a few months later to a fellows 73 Winchester. 50 years later, his brother brought me the rifle to see if I could clean the goop off of it. It was them I remembered I was the fellow that put the goop on it. I cleaned it off and out with acetone and the rifle was just like it was, inside and out 50 years before.