PDA

View Full Version : South Florida: What to do???

beechbum444
05-05-2021, 09:45 PM
Evening everybody:

Im currently in Naples Florida visiting family, working on getting a contract in Miami (Nursing)......where to go, what to do? where are the gun shops??? old country stores?? Flea markets that all of us are into ??? would like to find a land hunting lease to harvest a few wild hogs from each month, but dont really know where to start looking. It feels kinda weird cold knocking a farmers door.....It be another adventure to hunt a few Iguannas, maybe even catch a snook. Any and all info is appreciated....

Mods ...not sure where to put this....please move if need be ..............Regards

JimB..
05-06-2021, 12:49 AM
You can always walk the beach, an early riser picked up 65lbs of cocaine that way a couple weeks ago.

I’d love to airgun hunt some iguana.

Finster101
05-06-2021, 07:56 AM
Finding a hunting lease may prove difficult. You hear about the hog problem we have, which is indeed a big problem but farmers and ranchers are hesitant to let people on their property. For fishing, since you are in Naples I would try to find a guide out of Everglades City or Chokoloskee for a half day or day trip.

contender1
05-06-2021, 08:27 AM
I'm not in Florida,, but I used to spend a lot of time visiting south Fl. I found that things were much better just a bit north of Miami. Pompano was my main destination as it always seemed to have the diving, fishing, & stores I preferred. As for hunting,, I've found Central Florida was better,,especially on the western side.

RU shooter
05-06-2021, 11:37 AM
Go get a cheap rod and reel combo a few hooks and some bait! pretty good fishing in that area

Gator 45/70
05-06-2021, 10:32 PM
Evening everybody:

Im currently in Naples Florida visiting family, working on getting a contract in Miami (Nursing)......where to go, what to do? where are the gun shops??? old country stores?? Flea markets that all of us are into ??? would like to find a land hunting lease to harvest a few wild hogs from each month, but dont really know where to start looking. It feels kinda weird cold knocking a farmers door.....It be another adventure to hunt a few Iguannas, maybe even catch a snook. Any and all info is appreciated....

Mods ...not sure where to put this....please move if need be ..............Regards

Hey keep us posted, The wife (RN) was looking at openings down around Vero beach. Thanks

beechbum444
05-07-2021, 10:41 PM
Its beautiful down here , I know hoe cousin Eddie felt when he parked in front of Clarke's house , I parked my Ford f250 with kayak strapped to it in front of his house . The HOAs don't allow trash cans to sit out over night .......

trails4u
05-07-2021, 11:03 PM
don't know if you're a fan of really good, authentic mexican food or not, but if so....worth a drive over to immokalee. there is a tortilleria there that makes the best al pastor i've ever had. La Rancherita I believe is the name....

Gone_rabid
05-08-2021, 09:05 AM
I grew up in north Miami and visited frequently up until the last few years.

Here’s a flea market for you to check out.

https://www.floridaswapshop.com/

There is tons of stuff there but the inside stuff is your typical full time cheap junk stores. But the cars are awesome.

Gun stores - there is quite a few on biscanyne blvd (A1A) that’s between downtown and north Miami @ me 123rd st? Can’t recommend anything as I’ve never been in them.

DougGuy
05-08-2021, 09:41 AM
Foodies don't normally associate South Florida with Mexican as much as they do Cuban cuisine. I love it myself, I go to Florida I leave the Gringo food at the Georgia line and I go for the Cuban coffee and authentic Cuban food and especially the bakeries.

Homestead is the last stop on the mainland if you take a trip to the keys, there is Mario's there, highly recommended, they got the real deal Cuban omelette and Cuban coffee, breakfast that lifts you with a jolt of caffeine and sends you down highway 1 to Key West with a great attitude for the trip.

Finster101
05-08-2021, 01:41 PM
Depends on which coast you are on. Way more Mexican cuisine on the west coast.

Gone_rabid
05-08-2021, 03:50 PM
Genuine Cuban food.. delicious!

The keys are awesome to visit. Amazingly laid back. It’s like it’s not even part of Florida.

Bmi48219
05-08-2021, 06:52 PM
Keys are as gone rabid says, except Key West which is a certified freak show. Not the place to take kids.

waksupi
05-09-2021, 10:37 AM
I used to really enjoy snorkeling the Keys.

Stewbaby
05-09-2021, 10:51 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210509/511ceb8fe4902f9ecc2d7e09015ad44a.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210509/d1b91d76e2a7b9179cf1e1c765c6a286.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210509/a728a0d4f68e0822b3166e4ae68cfcac.jpg

woodbutcher
05-09-2021, 02:01 PM
[smilie=s: Hi Gator45-70.Vero Beach is my home town.Used to be really nice.Don`t know about now though.Have`nt been there since 1995.
Check out www.myflorida.com and look for the Vero Beach site.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Gator 45/70
05-09-2021, 02:19 PM
[smilie=s: Hi Gator45-70.Vero Beach is my home town.Used to be really nice.Don`t know about now though.Have`nt been there since 1995.
Check out www.myflorida.com and look for the Vero Beach site.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Thanks ! Will do

Finster101
05-09-2021, 08:41 PM
The upper and middle keys are still nice for fishing and such. As stated before Key West is a freak show. I 've been there many times with a bunch of biker friends just to party. Not the place to take the kiddies unless you want to educate them in what you should not do.

Finster101
05-09-2021, 08:45 PM
If you are still in Naples, Fort Myers and Punta Gorda are nice towns and not near as expensive as Naples. The Ford, Edison Winter Estate is in Fort Myers.

MstrEddy
05-09-2021, 08:56 PM
OP, shoot me a PM, and we'll exchange email addresses. I live in Miramar, Broward County, just over the Miami-Dade line. Work in Doral. Grew up in West Miami. Have kicked around much of Miami-Dade.
Naples, west coast area is nice. We vacation in Ft Myers Beach area.
Hunting, not really much of it in S Fla. You have to get into Central and Northern FL for that. Fishing, as mentioned, book a trip out of the West Coast. Mexican food, Cuban, Colombian, Nicaraguan, you name it. We have it. Mario's is good. When I head down to Homestead, I usually stop there or Casavanas.

baogongmeo
05-09-2021, 08:58 PM
Evening everybody:

Go to Kellyco in Orlando... buy a good metal detector and scoop and hunt the 1715 beaches. Maybe hit the jackpot.

beechbum444
05-10-2021, 07:02 PM
The 1715 beaches as in the Spanish fleet that hit the Atlantic coast ????

Gator 45/70
05-10-2021, 07:13 PM
The 1715 beaches as in the Spanish fleet that hit the Atlantic coast ????

Pfft, From what I've been reading the Spanish wreaked out steadily for 400 years, Some found,some not but there appears to be a ton of rules and regulations to navigate around

megasupermagnum
05-11-2021, 02:18 AM
South Florida and the keys are not where you want to hunt. When I was there, I fished pretty much every day, and it was great. Some of the best fish I ever ate, I caught there. Red Snapper is phenomenal. I don't remember key west being bad at all, plenty of kids there. I wouldn't take kids anywhere in south Florida much after dark, but during the day, the keys is a family friendly touristy area. Actually the only area that gave me real concern was just south of Miami. Cars with bullet holes, stolen vehicles chased by cops, and every store had bars on the windows. Not just the door, but the cashier was behind bars too. Once you cross the bridge to the keys, it is a whole different environment. Miami itself was just fine other than typical big city stuff.

One helpful tip, buy your fishing stuff in Miami. For whatever reason finding tackle and bait in the keys was no easy task. There's a bunch of fishing charters too, and I had fun for a morning on one. It wasn't much for trophies, but all I did was let what they called a chicken rig sit off the side of the boat, and we all did pretty good.

Rcmaveric
05-31-2021, 01:59 PM
Go to far south and all you have is Florida Key Deer. Size of German Shepard and highly illegal to hunt. They he indangered. Plus the rut gets wacky and hard to predict. First cold snap in winter and boom rut. If you are SOL at work and you missed it.

Aim for central Florida. Its more gun and hunting friendly and not to far. There are gun shops everywhere. I was just in Largo and Lake City at gun shows (lets not discus price shock). Guns are cheap but ammo aint. Dollar a round can eat my shorts. I felt bad because a few of them I gave them the your an idiot look. I know for damn sure the whole sellers havent raised prices. 220 bucks for a brick of primers. Big box shops are cheaper than that. Did get some deals on AR15 parts. Building my second one. Just down to the Bolt, BCG, barrel and gas system and only 270 bucks invested. Barrel and BCG is the most expensive parts.

For hunting. Florida has lots of public lands. Go down to the county tax collectors office as they normally have maps. You can jump over to the florida DFW website and look for ones close by. Be carefull on public lands ole timers get possesive but its first come and first serve so dont let them run you off. Its 50/50 if someone is going to be a dick or respectful. Expect to have your tree stand and cams stolen. Hell even private property expect your camera to be stolen. I have turned more than one person in for tresspassing and theft. I started putting my cameras out so they over lap each other. You can steal one or two cameras but i promise you missed one of mine and i got your purty mug in the act. Life lessons learned the hard way lol.

Hunting clubs and leases are expensive and for the rich. Public land is productive while you make friends and network for private property to hunt. I go squirrel hunting and rabbit hunting while i camp and track public land. Then i post up come deer season. Read and know the laws on the particular stretch of land you plan to hunt. Also... for public land... he who shoots and drops the deer keeps it. I still hunt, a lot of Florida boys run dogs. If that dog runs a deer within range of me i will take the shot and keep that deer. Keep the warden number on speed dial. Those boys get pissy. Most are cool but there is always one ass whole who thinks they owne the woods. It took me a couple years but I now have a few private properties i hunt in North Eastern Florida in conjunction with a couple public lands.

Hint for public lands, deer arent stupid. They will stick closer to human activities than you would think. They know they wont get shot near the campgrounds.

Hint two: take a budy. Bears are just as quiet in the Palmettos as deer. Also it helps when you find the deer bedded down. Have a buddy push them out towards the other hunter (discuss shooting lanes before hand). You will almost have to step on them to move them out of their beding in the Palmetto.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

gwpercle
05-31-2021, 08:03 PM
For something to do .... Go Fishing
Plenty of fishing piers , go on a charter boat deep sea trip ( the Flying Fish Fleet Charters) I have had some great trips with this outfit .
Fish from the bank or surf fish ... anywhere you can pull off the road ...you can fish .
Lots of Public fishing places ...all free ... piers , jetties and marinas .
Florida is a fisherman's paradise ... I love fishing off the Sunshine Skyway Fishing Pier ... it's such a nice place with bait shop , store and rest rooms ... I wish Louisiana had one .
Gary