PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with sticking

1z-bar
01-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Hello,
I'm new to this fourm. I started casting in the early 80's I had goten away from it for a while and now I'm back!
I'm using wheel weights with a little bar solder throwen in. I have a lyman 20 Lb bottem poor pot and I'm using a 4 cavity lyman mold. My bullets release fine out of my mold untill I get it warmed up and then they start sticking. It's mainly 1 or 2 cavitys but some times all 4 of them. Ive tryed smoking {matches} with no efect. I even tryed a diffrent 4 cavity mold with the same results. The first mold was a 150GR SWC .358 . The 2nd was a 160GR RN .358 .
Thank you for your time![smilie=b:

Maven
01-01-2009, 04:43 PM
1z-bar, Two questions: First, is it possible that the mold is too hot, thus not allowing the CB's to contract enough and release? Try Bruce B's speed casting method to see whether bullet release improves. In essence, your pour your alloy and just as the sprue becomes solid, quickly invert the mold on a damp cloth or a sponge in a pie plate of water. Cut the sprues, empty the mold and repeat until you have enough CB's. Btw, I sometimes cool the bottom of the mold as well if I think it is overheating. Second, are you certain that there are no burrs or rough edges in the cavities that are contributing to the problem?

canebreaker
01-01-2009, 04:58 PM
Use a piece of pine knot, heavier rosin, works best for me.

cbrick
01-01-2009, 05:41 PM
My bullets release fine out of my mold untill I get it warmed up and then they start sticking. It's mainly 1 or 2 cavitys but some times all 4 of them. [smilie=b:

Bullets shrink as they cool, this is what allows them to fall out of the mould. It sounds as if your casting too hot, both pot temp and mould temp. Are you using a thermometer in your pot? The next time they start sticking leave the mould closed and set it down, go pour a cup of coffee. When you come back if they fall out it's not a burr, they simply cooled enough to shrink. This is just an easy way to know for sure if your casting too hot.

The only thing I ever cast hotter than 750 degrees is HP's at 800 degrees.

Rick

montana_charlie
01-01-2009, 07:06 PM
The next time they start sticking leave the mould closed and set it down, go pour a cup of coffee. When you come back if they fall out it's not a burr, they simply cooled enough to shrink.
Ahh! Simple logic is soooo beautiful!
CM

shotman
01-01-2009, 09:28 PM
use Kroil no problems

1z-bar
01-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Hello,
Thanks- it was to hot. I used a sponge to cool the botom of the mold they came out a lot easer. I had tryed adjusting my temp before, but I think my mold was already to hot. I think I will have to buy A thermoter. Btw whats Kroil???

badgeredd
01-02-2009, 12:09 AM
Hello,
Thanks- it was to hot. I used a sponge to cool the botom of the mold they came out a lot easer. I had tryed adjusting my temp before, but I think my mold was already to hot. I think I will have to buy A thermoter. Btw whats Kroil???

I missed your first post, but as a fairly new caster I would have mentioned that I recently found that keep a wet rag near to cool the mold occasionally has helped a lot with one mold I have. I was letting it get to hot.

Now you've found that this was the problem, you like myself will become a believer in the thermometer. I have one mold that likes to have hot lead, meaning between 750 and 800 degrees. BTW most of the others like the lead at closer to 700 degrees. If I don't pay attention and let it get close to 850, it starts sticking boolits badly. Of course the damp cloth helps to keep the mold temp in the right area too.

These guys sure can tell you a lot about your problems with darn little information. Ain't they great?!!!!!!

Edd

runfiverun
01-02-2009, 03:40 AM
you can also just run another mold and go back and forth or do the cast two and set down pick up the other cast two and set down.
i like this method with one steel and one aluminum mold.
i cast with the metal while the aluminum is heating up. then cast 3-4 with the aluminum and do two with the steel one.
keeps them both hot and cool at the same time.