PDA

View Full Version : Lub

JLF
05-04-2021, 05:42 PM
What kind of lubricant do you use for lubing bread?

Bad Ass Wallace
05-04-2021, 07:21 PM
Butter???

Pipefitter
05-04-2021, 07:48 PM
Blueberry jam?

JLF
05-04-2021, 07:52 PM
Butter???

I apologize.
What kind of lubricants do they use for the tips when they lubricate them with temperature?

justindad
05-04-2021, 08:08 PM
Sorry if I come off the wrong way... post your question in your first language, and I’ll see what google translate does.

high standard 40
05-04-2021, 08:59 PM
If I understand your question, do you mean what type of lube do we use for cast bullets that requires some heat to flow in a lubrisizer?

JLF
05-04-2021, 09:00 PM
If I understand your question, do you mean what type of lube do we use for cast bullets that requires some heat to flow in a lubrisizer?

Exactly ... that's what I mean

45DUDE
05-05-2021, 02:40 AM
I like a soft 50 50 beeswax but I have one of my 450's set up with a solder iron with adjustable heat. It doesn't take much. I have a Christmas tree light on one I never turn off. I have 4 lube sizers and 3 have different lubes. If too hot lube will squirt out. Liquid Alox will work also and you don't need equipment if the boolit is the correct size. I do that also. I load 98% pistol loads for mid range.

high standard 40
05-05-2021, 07:07 AM
Exactly ... that's what I mean

I started using Felix lube exclusively a few years ago. It does require a small amount of heat to flow reliably in my lubrisizer. I have an older Lyman 450, which does not have a provision for a heater. I use an automotive engine block heater as a heat source. It is magnetic and I place it on a steel plate that I fabricated that mounts under the base of the 450.

gwpercle
05-05-2021, 02:45 PM

You're good ... Speaking Cajun French comes in handy sometimes ... the bread and butter thing had me sideways !

I don't use hard lubes , over the years I have found soft lubes to do a better job especially in handgun loads .
I've picked up way too many recovered boolits with hard blue / red lube still stuck in the lube grooves ... it needs to be in the gun barrel to do any good .
Gary

high standard 40
05-05-2021, 03:52 PM
You're good ... Speaking Cajun French comes in handy sometimes ... the bread and butter thing had me sideways !

I don't use hard lubes , over the years I have found soft lubes to do a better job especially in handgun loads .
I've picked up way too many recovered boolits with hard blue / red lube still stuck in the lube grooves ... it needs to be in the gun barrel to do any good .
Gary

I agree. Felix only requires a little heat to flow well. It's actually kinda tacky to the touch at room temperature. I use it in everything from 32 H&R to 44Mag and 22 Hornet to 358 Win. I gave up on hard lubes for the reason you stated.

JLF
05-05-2021, 08:33 PM
The function of lubricants is to seal and lubricate, therefore, a lubricant whose dripping temperature is high is convenient, or it is not.?

justindad
05-06-2021, 10:58 PM
The function of lubricants is to seal and lubricate, therefore, a lubricant whose dripping temperature is high is convenient, or it is not.?
You have to compare the temperature range of your lube to the temperature range of your environment & barrel. Not all lubes span the same range, so a narrow range & high melting temperature lube may not actually behave as a lube. If the lube stays on one side of the boolit while flying from barrel to target, accuracy will suffer.
I want the lube to not melt and flow into the gun powder, while storing rounds in my black car in the South Carolina sun. No higher. After that, the lube must be liquid enough to leave the boolit at the muzzle on cold days. Even with that, I have to acknowledge that I am pursuing curiosity more than necessity.
Be careful asking questions about lube. Before you know it, you’ll be dissolving solid lithium, and making your own lithium greases. I’m not the first people doing this :)
Have you considered Felix lube?

rbuck351
05-12-2021, 10:44 AM
Felix lube is the only one I use. It does not require heat at room temp. In a cool loading area (60 deg F) I preheat the sizer with a hair dryer and usually don't have to reheat before I have finished a batch.

Rich/WIS
05-16-2021, 08:12 AM
I use WLL Alox 50/50 or XLOX 2500 and unless I let my reloading room temp drop into the lower 60's have not found a heater necessary. The few times i needed to warm the sizer I put the little electric space heater I use in my shop on the bench with the fan blowing on the 450 and in maybe ten minutes it warms and the lube flows like it should.