PDA

View Full Version : lee #68 6 cavity mold

billnconnie
01-01-2009, 11:28 AM
I called Lee and asked about the 6 cavity mold that they are listing on their web site and the lady told me that they were the undersized group molds.
Didn't know if anyone had checked this out.
Thanks Bill

DLCTEX
01-01-2009, 12:30 PM
What size did they cast? Anyone know?

IcerUSA
01-01-2009, 01:16 PM
From what I read they had a small front driving band and cast undersized by about .002-.003 .

Check the thread in Group Buys , H&G #68 Lee Clone , or someting like that .

Keith

mtgrs737
01-01-2009, 01:35 PM
The front driving band was .006" under the base band which cast .453" to .454" from my ww alloy. The nose radius was a bit sharp too, but others that cast and shot some said they fed well.

runfiverun
01-02-2009, 03:41 AM
iirc the front band was about 448.

ChuckS1
01-02-2009, 07:53 AM
Given all the issues you guys had with these molds, I'm surprised that Lee, knowing the problems, would sell these to the unsuspecting public. I realize they want recoup their loss, but makes me wonder.

Spud
01-02-2009, 09:11 AM
iirc the front band was about 448. I was one of those guys and that's what they measured from my mold. They fed fine in my Taurus, no jams, etc.. Never really checked them for accuracy. Just received the replacement last Tuesday. Have yet to cast boolits from 'em.

DLCTEX
01-02-2009, 11:10 AM
Doesn't sound like anything I'd want. How could a machinist make that large an error and it not get caught by QC?

Avery Arms
01-02-2009, 05:13 PM
Doesn't sound like anything I'd want. How could a machinist make that large an error and it not get caught by QC?

QC? I thought we were talking about LEE?

PP

MakeMineA10mm
01-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Yep, those are the "ERROR" moulds from my Group Buy. I'm suprised they're selling them, too... I guess it's still more money they'd get than scrapping out the aluminum... I'd think they're going to create themselves more problems with dissatisfied customers than it's worth myself. They may get many of them back, or worse yet, some folks may try these and then swear off ever using a Lee mould again (and they'll never know the negative impact that will have).

As far as QC, that's a fun question. In my estimation there is some, but it is limited and only at certain points in the system. One of the ways they save money (in order to give lower prices) is to trust that they hire guys who know what they're doing and do it right the first time and every time. This mistake happened because the (new) guy they hired to convert machine drawings into CAD programming is NOT a bullet caster and misinterpretted a measurement on the drawing. Our drawing was drawn correctly, and because the mistake created an undersized boolit, there was no questions asked on the return and re-work of the moulds.

ChuckS1
01-02-2009, 09:31 PM
Well, if Lee is knowingly selling these defective molds, then I guess I won't be buying any molds from Lee in the future.

yondering
01-02-2009, 11:49 PM
Wait, if one of us were to buy one of these molds from Lee, and find out it was undersized as stated above, would Lee replace it with a correctly sized mold? Since they did fix the group buy molds, they obviously have the correct dimensions and tooling to do so... [smilie=1:

MakeMineA10mm
01-03-2009, 12:02 AM
You can go double-check their website, but I'm pretty sure these are listed as factory seconds and there is a no-return, purchased as-is policy on those. Double-check me on that though...

Catshooter
01-03-2009, 02:03 PM
No, they are listed as returnable.

I have bought some of them from Lee with the idea of repairing them and then offering them for sale here. It is such a good design I hated to see them not be loved. We will see.

Cat