PDA

View Full Version : My first from a plank

RU shooter
05-03-2021, 08:40 AM
Started this on beginning of February finished up a few days ago 45 cal 36" GM barrel chambers lock and rice triggers . Wood is a nice piece of black walnut . Sorta a generic southern / Tenn style with features off of several different originals I liked the looks of . Not in the picture but has a lollipop type long tang except with a diamond at the end to go with the diamond patchbox . I put a primitive rear peep on it because it's about all I can use these days if I wanna hit anything . 282354282355282356282357

JoeJames
05-03-2021, 09:22 AM
I like it. With the caliber, the walnut stock and the strong wrist on it, to me it looks like a plains rifle. I have one that my great grandfather bought around 1867 of course in percussion, and made by J Henry and Sons, Philadelphia. It is in @42 caliber, walnut stock, and steel furniture. Some of my cousins continued to hunt with it until they were drafted in WWII.

pietro
05-03-2021, 09:45 AM

Wow ! You did well, pilgrim !

Very nice work, indeed...… :)

waksupi
05-03-2021, 11:30 AM
Good job. too many are afraid to tackle a plank build. I find them easy to do, and you can make them as you like. Too many kits have sloppy inletting, or the lock mortise out of place. I've not done a Kibler kit, but they apparently have such good CNC work they are almost a drop in build.

Goofy
05-03-2021, 12:22 PM
Well done!

pworley1
05-03-2021, 12:35 PM
Great work!

RU shooter
05-03-2021, 12:46 PM
Good job. too many are afraid to tackle a plank build. I find them easy to do, and you can make them as you like. Too many kits have sloppy inletting, or the lock mortise out of place. I've not done a Kibler kit, but they apparently have such good CNC work they are almost a drop in build.
Thank you , I've done a few precarved builds in the past First one was with the lock already inlet nothing but problems ! Next couple was just preshapped and I inlet the parts, Better this way but I wanted something more of a challenge so went to the plank route . Yep it was a challenge alright all I had to go on was a butt stock tracing of an original I had to go on just pictures and what seemed "correct" made lots of mistakes but also learned how to correct mistakes too so a good teacher it was .

Kylongrifle32
05-03-2021, 02:12 PM
Fine looking rifle. Always wanted to try my hand at building one but can't get up the gumption to do it.
I have a tick that once I start a project it's all I think about till it's done. Stay up all night thinking about it. Weather I should do this or that. Yes I sure do envy your skills.

bedbugbilly
05-03-2021, 07:17 PM
Beautiful job!

45workhorse
05-03-2021, 09:58 PM
Nice!

GARD72977
05-03-2021, 10:06 PM
Very nicely done. I admire you skill and confidence to takle this project!

Pleas post a pic of the sight. Im like you and need a peep to shoot. This has kept me from shooting my muzzleloaders for a while now.

RU shooter
05-04-2021, 06:32 AM

Pleas post a pic of the sight. Im like you and need a peep to shoot. This has kept me from shooting my muzzleloaders for a while now.
Thank you Sir , I'll snap a picture of it after work . Real simple to make and you can use your existing hole in the tang may need a longer bolt though or drill and tap a new 8-32 hole

beemer
05-04-2021, 04:35 PM
Great job, nothing beats building your own from scratch. I went to Rice barrels a while back and bought a 13/16 X 42".40. and I have a couple boards. Due to family concerns it might be a while, can't wait to get started.

I like the poor boy style but don't fret over being to PC. Just make it fit me and please my eyes. Got another one in mind ?

RU shooter
05-04-2021, 06:12 PM
Great job, nothing beats building your own from scratch. I went to Rice barrels a while back and bought a 13/16 X 42".40. and I have a couple boards. Due to family concerns it might be a while, can't wait to get started.

I like the poor boy style but don't fret over being to PC. Just make it fit me and please my eyes. Got another one in mind ?
Thanks the next one is gonna be a 20 ga smoothbore not sure what style though

RU shooter
05-04-2021, 06:20 PM

Here's that rear peep 282437282438

GARD72977
05-04-2021, 07:23 PM
Very intresting sight. I will have to try that!

wapiti22
05-15-2021, 12:39 PM
I have a project going in walnut. 50 cal, 42 inch barrel. Going to be a full stock Hawken. I really like working in walnut. I find it works better than maple.

beemer
05-15-2021, 03:38 PM
I like working with cherry. Some of my boards are a little thin, dressed 8/4. You can squeeze out a slim rifle if you are careful. I have a curly maple board that you would have to see to believe. Curls are about 1/4 in. wide and solid down the board. Curly maple is a pain in the butt to work but it's worth it.

RU shooter
05-17-2021, 06:30 PM
I agree on the super figured maple . Them chisels gotta be laser sharp all the time . This walnut wasn't too bad at all although I didn't do carving or other fancy work either . Fairly plain cherry is what I'm wanting to use for my fowler

TNsailorman
05-17-2021, 07:04 PM
I think you did extremely well for your first build. I built a .50 Hawken in the mid 70's and I did have some coaching and a little help. Did it from a set of plans I got from the Colorado State museum of an original Hawken rifle. I did not get the lock plate located quite right and the hammer hits the nipple slight off center but I have never had a misfire. Won a lot of matches with it and still have it. I used a browning solution that was made up from an old recipe that I found somewhere and it look really period. I did not polish the barrel at all, I just used some 400 grit sand paper and cleaned it well before putting the browning solution (a slow rust solution) and it turned out like I wanted it too. A slightly dark brown color that had an aged look. It took me almost 3 months working about 2 evening a week. It was a labor of live and I am thinking about doing a southern rifle this winter, maybe a flinter in either .36 or .40. james

beemer
05-18-2021, 02:24 PM
I also wish my first one looked like yours. Did it in 1976-77, knew no one that could help or give any kind of advice. Way to much wood left on the forearm among other things but I breached the barrel properly, had a Sharon barrel and the inletting is good. It has accounted for several deer and a sack full of tree rats. I have done 9-10 rifles now and things do look somewhat better.

missionary5155
05-20-2021, 05:00 PM
Well done ! I am very biased to flinters but still that is a keeper !