PDA

View Full Version : Another chronograph required.

littlejack
05-02-2021, 07:10 PM
So yesterday, I went to the gun club with visions of grandeur. I was all excited to check the speed of my trimmed 460 cases being used in my shot loads in my 45 Colt cylinder. Set up the Shooting Chrony Alfa, loaded one round, aimed center mass and squeezed off the round. The Chrony was only 3' away (three feet). Can't miss that open area, right? You know those fliers we're always taking about? :killingpc You guessed it. 1 (one) pellet of #9 shot got away. Punched a hole in the upper left quadrant of the sheetmetal, and penetrating the plastic case that encases the vitals. Killed it grave yard dead.
Not the first time though. My brother put it to sleep about 12 years ago with a .22 LR. I sent it back to the manufacturer for repair, and an upgrade. Been working great ever since. Well, until yesterday.
Seeing as Shooting Chrony is out of business, I've ordered a Competition Electronics ProChrono DLX. They seem to have good reviews, (depending on where you read). Anyone have any expierience with this particular brand? I know there are quite a few different brands out there. I suppose, in its price range it will do the job and be comparable with others. I look at brands like this. All will probably fail at some point in time. If the item weren't of decent quality, and function properly, the manufacturer wouldn't be in business.
Comments?

metricmonkeywrench
05-02-2021, 08:02 PM
I have an older model with the Bluetooth adaptor. Simple enough to use and does everything I need it to do.

The one thing that folks do is to get some wooden dowels to replace the sunscreen metal rods in case of an errant shot

littlejack
05-02-2021, 09:12 PM
mmw
Yeah, I've read about others using bamboo skewer sticks to replace the metal rods. That sounds like a good idea. Thanks for reminding me. Good to hear that yours is working well for you.

mattw
05-03-2021, 12:06 PM
They are wonderful units. I got mine after my daughter put a 221 fireball thru the previous model.

littlejack
05-03-2021, 01:42 PM
:lol: Good to hear another positive about the PrChrono.
Sorry for the death in the family. :bigsmyl2:

kingrj
05-27-2021, 07:07 AM
Although I do not own a Comp Electronics Pro I DO use their most excellent light trigger screens with my homemade chrono...They are reasonably priced if you shoot one and they work with bullets at least as small as .22....I think you will be well satisfied...

littlejack
05-27-2021, 12:08 PM
kingrj
Thanks for the tip.

Dan Cash
05-27-2021, 09:30 PM
OP, this won't help you now but perhaps next time you want to chronograph some shot shells. Obtain a more or less 2 foot square of rubber matting or ply wood and cut 3 inch hole in the middle. Suspend the mat in front of the chronograph so that the shot can pass through the hole and over the sky screens but stray shot or sabots in the case of BP loads will be trapped and not damage the sky screens.

littlejack
05-28-2021, 01:40 AM
That would probably work.

Lloyd Smale
06-04-2021, 07:29 AM
just got one this spring. Works great. Much better then the old one i had. two chronys and a pact.

Dan Cash
06-05-2021, 10:28 PM
That would probably work.

That system is used by the military to chronograph sabot tank rounds. They do use very thick steel though.

uscra112
06-06-2021, 10:40 PM
I wonder how well a LabRadar would work for shotgun loads.

murf205
06-08-2021, 03:58 PM
I wonder how well a LabRadar would work for shotgun loads.

While we are wondering, I wonder how a Magneto Speed would work with shotguns. I have only used mine once but for rifles, it is a success. Especially at the public range I shoot at. With the Magneto Speed, you don't have people waiting until you get your Chrony set up and aligned. Anybody tried it with revolvers?

country gent
06-08-2021, 09:48 PM
I use my Lab Radar with BPCR loads bullet a couple wads and PP loads with the confetti and under wrap wads and bullet with little issues. The smoke dosnt affect it either.
Where the issue may come in is the LR "sees" the base of the bullet. A shot charge isnt a solid base and is strung out longer and less dense. This may make make readings harder to get

starnbar
06-09-2021, 08:45 AM
Hey those who haven't messed up equipment are few and far between it was not intentional but it happens.

murf205
06-09-2021, 10:45 AM
Hey those who haven't messed up equipment are few and far between it was not intentional but it happens.

As I have said before: chronographs live in a very dangerous neighborhood!

farmbif
06-10-2021, 09:57 AM
old truck mud flap in front of chrono sounds like a great way to protect investment. I have an old green box chrony still works like new, but ive never tried shot shells through it and try to take good care of my equipment.

littlejack
06-11-2021, 12:40 PM
Seeing as how a single #9 pellet took my Chrony out, I would suggest getting real close with a shotgun. I was 3' away shooting extended 45 Colt loads. Just sayin.

uscra112
06-11-2021, 04:07 PM
Trouble with getting that close is that the shock wave and/or the gas cloud from the muzzle gets to the first screen before the bullet. One time I drove myself batty trying to test loads from a 4" .357 revolver that way, until it dawned on me.....

Somehow I've managed to not injure an old red box Chrony for nigh on 25 years. I took to using bamboo skewers right away. Still haven't touched one.

Recently was given a blue box Chrony with the readout on a 10' cable. THAT one I could protect with a piece of 6x6, since I don't have to see anything but the guide sticks and skyscreens. On a cloudy day you could even dispense with those for shotgun loads.

littlejack
06-11-2021, 05:33 PM
Very good point.

Liberty1776
06-21-2021, 07:20 PM
Sorry about your chronograph. There was a totally destroyed chronograph for "sale" at my local gun shop one time with a sign reading, "Only Used Once."

But I'm interested in your .460 S&W Mag shells converted to .45 Colt shot shells.

Please explain the process.

littlejack
06-25-2021, 12:48 PM
Liberty:
Go to the "Shot shell loads for pistols". Look at my post on 460 cases for 45 Colt shot loads.
Regards

pworley1
06-25-2021, 01:02 PM
I am on my third. Shot placement is everything.

littlejack
06-25-2021, 03:26 PM
That's what they say; Location, location, location. :guntootsmiley: