PDA

View Full Version : $ primers

hiram
05-02-2021, 04:21 PM
I went to a gun show in south Florida on March 21. Primers were $100--150/1000. Ouch.

ruger1980
05-02-2021, 04:30 PM
I have seen them bring $200-250@1k at the last few auctions around here.
Almost makes me want to sell a few

Czech_too
05-02-2021, 07:08 PM
Went to the first show in a year and a half(?), saw prices ranging from $90 to $200.
Did pick up a couple of ammo cans for $10 per though.

porthos
05-02-2021, 07:34 PM
there are individuals that are charging these prices. but, there are also laarge dealers doing the same. i hope that we remember those dealers and stores that are doing this and we don't go back to them

Wild Bill 7
05-02-2021, 07:51 PM
Haven’t looked this week, but several weeks ago FedArm’s had spp for $2000.00 for 5000. Then last week they were on sale for $1699. Glad I have some on hand and making some with the Prime all compound. It’s slow, tedious and corrosive but I feel it’s something I need to know. Hopefully things will get better.

yovinny
05-03-2021, 06:03 AM
Did a show in Paducah KY this weekend and remmy primers at $125./K on the next table were hardly selling..
Unless I missed one,, Im pretty sure he only sold 2-3K all weekend.

FWIW,, there was also all anyone could want of 9mm fmj @ $30. Or 45acp fmj @ $40. from just about every other table and it was also moving like pond water...

dale2242
05-03-2021, 06:03 AM
They were $250 a thousand at the last gun show I attended.

B R Shooter
05-03-2021, 06:10 AM
$150/1000 of CCI at my local gun shop last week. First time they have had any for sale in quite some time.

Cargo
05-03-2021, 06:29 AM
I went to a local sporting goods chain last week and large rifle primers were $69.95 per 1k. Prices on GB are starting to come down on primers and firearms. Friday my local range had all of the most common rds, prices were still inflated but they were on hand. Hang in there and wait a little while longer if you can manage it.

jimlj
05-03-2021, 09:54 AM
I check at the local gun shop when I go in. Once in a while they have them. CCI $3.50 or Federal $4 per hundred. Limit of two hundred at a time. Be patient, they will be back in stock.

myg30
05-03-2021, 10:32 AM
I check at the local gun shop when I go in. Once in a while they have them. CCI $3.50 or Federal $4 per hundred. Limit of two hundred at a time. Be patient, they will be back in stock.

Now that’s the kind of shop I like to deal with !

Mike

Half Dog
05-03-2021, 11:31 AM
I got some recently at Academy for $5.99 per 100 count box. Limit 2 boxes.

tomme boy
05-04-2021, 12:33 AM
Powder valley has a statement that an individual had millions of prime rd to sell to them at $0.17/ea. They told the people no thanks! PV said they are getting in primers at normal prices but it is very random. They said they were not going to feed the scammers what they want.

Wheelgun
05-04-2021, 12:50 AM
Last show I went to almost everyone was asking $250 per K... No one was buying and few guys even laughed when they asked how much. Ticked off the guys selling, but I thought it was fun watching lol

Another guy was sold out, but he had been asking $80-90 per k depending on brand.

dverna
05-04-2021, 08:03 AM
I believe the "new normal" will be $35-50/k and expect it to happen by the end of the year. Agree with others who said to be patient if you can.

I do not black list companies that are charging market prices. I have run a couple of companies and understand the tradeoff of volume and margin. A "fair" margin when you are selling 100k a month is different than a fair margin when you are selling 20k a month....many operating expenses are not variable and you still need to keep the place open. Heck, I will even buy from Cheaper Than Dirt if they have the best price. Call me a *****...but I am not stupid.

bluebird66
05-04-2021, 10:29 AM
Larry Potterfield sold me some small pistol for 75.00 per k.

Bookworm
05-04-2021, 10:42 AM
I believe the "new normal" will be $35-50/k and expect it to happen by the end of the year. ..

I think you are on the low side. I expect $50-60/K at retail. I think the days of 1K bricks in the $30 range are nothing but a (soon to be fond) memory.

Although, I hope you are correct.

downzero
05-04-2021, 11:39 AM
I'd gladly pay $150 a pound for the powders I'd like to have in the cabinet. Hope I don't have to, but if I do, I'm happy to pay what the market will bear.

Burnt Fingers
05-04-2021, 11:51 AM
I think you are on the low side. I expect $50-60/K at retail. I think the days of 1K bricks in the $30 range are nothing but a (soon to be fond) memory.

Although, I hope you are correct.

Announced price increases would put most of them in the $38-$40/1000 range. What your local shop charges.....

Two years ago some people were perfectly happy paying $4.99/100 at Academy and the good local shop was selling them for $30/1000. When Scheel's opened up they were $31/1000.

They being CCI and Winchester primers.

yovinny
05-04-2021, 02:17 PM
100 packs ?
Who normally buys primers by the 100 pack ?
When I started out, I bought 1000 pack boxes,, but I havent bought any primers in less then 5k case lots in probably 30yrs.
Even after the last big Obummer primer shortage,,, 5K cases went back down to $79.

jim147
05-04-2021, 02:33 PM
100 packs ?

When I first started loading I didn't have 100 cases so why spend $10 when I could spend $1. I was kinda cheap back then and could only get a few day to shoot here and there.

Now that I don't work much and just have to walk out the door to shoot I buy in larger quantities.

yovinny
05-04-2021, 03:15 PM
When I first started loading I didn't have 100 cases so why spend $10 when I could spend $1. I was kinda cheap back then and could only get a few day to shoot here and there.

Now that I don't work much and just have to walk out the door to shoot I buy in larger quantities.

Im all for being cheap,,, thats why I buy in quanity and am just now getting into my post Obummer scare $79. cases of primers....

VariableRecall
05-04-2021, 03:44 PM
Larry Potterfield sold me some small pistol for 75.00 per k.

At least with Larry you have the opportunity to get speedy, free shipping and less overall hazmat fees. It's not exactly a great deal, but it's well worth getting primers from a reputable online retailer.

Midway USA has been my only source of retail primers.

Shawlerbrook
05-04-2021, 03:51 PM
Agreed that $50/1000 is about as low as they will go. That said, right now $90-100/1000 is a deal.

VariableRecall
05-04-2021, 04:02 PM
Agreed that $50/1000 is about as low as they will go. That said, right now $90-100/1000 is a deal.

Even at Larry's current prices it still means that I don't have to pay $1.30 a round for .38 Special. With my current equipment and expendables, I'm paying about $12 per 50 rounds of .38 Special. Not great in terms of maximum reloading savings, but I'd rather pay $12 than nearly $70 for the same amount of ammo.

Red River Rick
05-04-2021, 04:35 PM
Lots of primers up here at $60.00 per M, works out to roughly $48.00 USD.

RRR

tomme boy
05-05-2021, 02:13 AM
Lots of primers up here at $60.00 per M, works out to roughly $48.00 USD.

RRR

I would gladly pay $60 per Million of primers. I work with electronics. That is just a pet peeve of mine.

brass410
05-05-2021, 09:35 AM
I would gladly pay $60 per Million of primers. I work with electronics. That is just a pet peeve of mine.

thinking its a typo I also have seen many in the 48-52 us dollar but ateast we are seeing them. Not like a while ago, you had a better chance of sighting a unicorn!!!

jimlj
05-05-2021, 10:17 AM
M is 1000 in roman numeral. It used to be used commonly when designating thousands. I doubt it was a typo.
When I saw the post million didn't even cross my mind. I guess I'm getting old.

Wis Tom
05-05-2021, 10:47 AM
Some things are starting to come around here, but primers, still none to be had. LGS says just none to be had and said check back in July. LOL

downzero
05-05-2021, 11:02 AM
Even at Larry's current prices it still means that I don't have to pay $1.30 a round for .38 Special. With my current equipment and expendables, I'm paying about $12 per 50 rounds of .38 Special. Not great in terms of maximum reloading savings, but I'd rather pay $12 than nearly $70 for the same amount of ammo.

Wow! $1.30 per round? I bet I can load it for 6 cents. That is incredible.

Murphy
05-05-2021, 12:11 PM
I feel for those who got caught short handed on supplies during this shortage, regardless of how or why.

I was in one of my local shops this past week and the owner was on the phone talking about reloading to a friend. His friend was as frustrated as the rest of us about the lack of supplies. He did tell the shop owner, one thing I can promise you is this, once this is over and supplies are available again? I am NEVER going to get caught short on supplies. I'm not sure what the new guys shooting habits are, but he apparently enjoys it enough he's ready to invest deeply.

38 Specials. My current cost? About the same as they were 12-15 years ago. :)

Murphy

sparky45
05-05-2021, 12:14 PM
Me too Murphy; as a matter of fact some of my PWD is vintage 1970's. Still goes bang and the chrono doesn't seem to notice much difference.

VariableRecall
05-06-2021, 01:40 AM

$1.30 a round was the last time that I had seen .38 Special in a store. I really wished that I could load for cheaper, but at the moment I've yet to find cheap lead, primers, or brass.

Either way its far better than paying extortion prices for ammunition.

Sasquatch-1
05-06-2021, 07:57 AM
I am wondering what the people who having been buying up all the dies, presses and molds are doing if they can't get supplies to use with them. I have checked several times on Amazon for dies and molds (didn't need any but was curious) and they had nothing available. I really don't think their production was affected as badly as the component's industry.

yovinny
05-06-2021, 07:57 AM
$1.30 a round was the last time that I had seen .38 Special in a store. I really wished that I could load for cheaper, but at the moment I've yet to find cheap lead, primers, or brass.

Either way its far better than paying extortion prices for ammunition.

Was that for some speciality carry ammo ?
There was a few flavors of standard 38spl at the show last weekend,, $35. per 50rd box.
And I saw lots of people fondle them, but didnt see a single sale....

VariableRecall
05-06-2021, 02:20 PM
I believe it was the store's last few boxes of Re-manufactured ammo, just milk toast FMJ from the looks of it.

VariableRecall
05-06-2021, 02:22 PM
I have been noticing that the die makers have been having spots of coming back in stock these past two months. The mold that I had received from Lee smelled like they were fresh out of the factory.

Scrounge
05-06-2021, 03:29 PM
I believe the "new normal" will be $35-50/k and expect it to happen by the end of the year. Agree with others who said to be patient if you can.

I do not black list companies that are charging market prices. I have run a couple of companies and understand the tradeoff of volume and margin. A "fair" margin when you are selling 100k a month is different than a fair margin when you are selling 20k a month....many operating expenses are not variable and you still need to keep the place open. Heck, I will even buy from Cheaper Than Dirt if they have the best price. Call me a *****...but I am not stupid.

The LGS has to make enough money to keep the doors open. My favorite LGS just closed a couple of weeks ago, as they couldn't get new stock in, and couldn't afford to keep paying the rent. Their FFL guy is looking on the bright side. He drives race cars, and has been having to race home after the weekend races so he can open up on Mondays. Now he won't have to do that. I am sad to see them go, but happy for him and his wife. And sad for their employees.

David2011
05-07-2021, 02:13 AM
100 packs ?
When I started out, I bought 1000 pack boxes,, but I havent bought any primers in less then 5k case lots in probably 30yrs.
Even after the last big Obummer primer shortage,,, 5K cases went back down to $79.

There was a time when I would buy 4 to 6 100 packs at $0.69 each because that’s what the budget allowed. I was loading .38 Special on a Jr. 2 press so that was a lot of primers.

0verkill
05-07-2021, 03:15 AM
Some have been doing what they have to, but there's been a lot of gougers. Personally, if primers don't come below 50$ a brick, I won't be buying many. I have a Tap-O-Cap (Which I should have sold when the panic buying started, can't get triple digits out of it now, so why bother) and a flintlock for when I want to make noise. I got a couple cheap pellet rifles that honestly I have just as much fun with. I only have need for a shotgun and a pistol really, prices aren't below that by the end of the year, start looking in the swappin' and sellin' for a bunch of rifles.

Sasquatch-1
05-07-2021, 07:43 AM
Some have been doing what they have to, but there's been a lot of gougers. Personally, if primers don't come below 50$ a brick, I won't be buying many. I have a Tap-O-Cap (Which I should have sold when the panic buying started, can't get triple digits out of it now, so why bother) and a flintlock for when I want to make noise. I got a couple cheap pellet rifles that honestly I have just as much fun with. I only have need for a shotgun and a pistol really, prices aren't below that by the end of the year, start looking in the swappin' and sellin' for a bunch of rifles.

+1 on the Rock Lock and the Cap Lock. I actually have a couple of flint lock pistols I enjoy shooting. If the worst happened I could always learn how to make Holy Black.

I have also considered buy a large caliber PCN air rifle but recharging the air supply has always scared me away.

dverna
05-07-2021, 11:05 AM
+1 on the Rock Lock and the Cap Lock. I actually have a couple of flint lock pistols I enjoy shooting. If the worst happened I could always learn how to make Holy Black.

I have also considered buy a large caliber PCN air rifle but recharging the air supply has always scared me away.

Not large caliber but a .22 PCP is not a bad way to get trigger time cheaply. I sold enough primers at these stupid prices to get a decent gun and air tank. The air tank costs $10 to fill and I should get over 4000 shots out of it. Of course it is not very "manly". Quite, no recoil, and no smoke. The other "downside" is no cases to pick up and prep and no reloading to do. Pellets are so cheap, it is not worth casting for it.

Powerful enough for rabbits and such to 50 yards...maybe 75 yards.

Evoken
05-07-2021, 08:20 PM
For what it's worth, I got a brick of large rifle primers today from my local fella. Just under 40$, they are slowly trickling in if you just have some patience.

Kyle M.
05-07-2021, 11:25 PM
Two of my local shops are still getting primers in sporadically, about once a month they say. You have to be there when the truck comes in first come first serve. They’re only getting about 10,000 of each size at a time. CCI large and small rifle and pistol $28.99/1000 same as they’ve been for years. If you see price gouging it’s the dealers/distributors not the manufacturers. Lots of people boycotting a local shop selling CCI blazer brass 9mm for $34.99 a box, someone saw his invoice from CCI he’s still paying what he was two years ago and should be selling them for $10-$11 a box.

Things didn’t get hard to find here until last October. But I sure wish it would get back to normal I could really use some large pistol primers and some Unique and 2400 or H110.

rockrat
05-07-2021, 11:35 PM
Lgs had some 130gr fmj 38 spcl for $21.99 and another store had it for $25.99, both boxes of 50.

magyars4
05-08-2021, 07:49 AM
Haven't seen primers anywhere around here for some time.
I don't like the current prices but I understand how capitalism/ supply and demand work.

Idaho45guy
05-08-2021, 10:05 AM

If you think you can load ANY ammo for 6 cents per round, then you are using faulty economics.

Maybe you can reload a cartridge based on prices on components from over a year ago, but based on current prices, you can't buy primers for 6 cents each.

You may have paid $20 per 1000 primers five years ago and $15 for a pound of powder, but you can't buy those things at those prices now.

So, even though you may have 6 cents into a cartridge you load today, to replace the components you use to load those cartridges will cost you closer to 25 cents.

So, the only way to claim that it would only cost you 6 cents per round, is if you had enough components to last until the cost to replace them comes back down (which is likely never), or, you never replaced those components.

It's why gas stations charge you the higher price for gas when the price increases, even though the gas sitting in their tanks cost them 10 cents less a gallon. They are charging you the replacement cost for that gas and not what it cost them initially.

LUCKYDAWG13
05-08-2021, 11:26 AM
Sometimes I think about selling some primers for the going rate of $175. per K but I cant replace them so I'll just keep them

Sasquatch-1
05-08-2021, 12:08 PM
If you think you can load ANY ammo for 6 cents per round, then you are using faulty economics.

Maybe you can reload a cartridge based on prices on components from over a year ago, but based on current prices, you can't buy primers for 6 cents each.

You may have paid $20 per 1000 primers five years ago and $15 for a pound of powder, but you can't buy those things at those prices now.

So, even though you may have 6 cents into a cartridge you load today, to replace the components you use to load those cartridges will cost you closer to 25 cents.

So, the only way to claim that it would only cost you 6 cents per round, is if you had enough components to last until the cost to replace them comes back down (which is likely never), or, you never replaced those components.

It's why gas stations charge you the higher price for gas when the price increases, even though the gas sitting in their tanks cost them 10 cents less a gallon. They are charging you the replacement cost for that gas and not what it cost them initially.

With that way of thinking I will be at 6 to 7 cents a round for a couple of years. And that is loading magnum loads for 44.

martyd
05-08-2021, 01:02 PM
Hi,
In Arizona the gun shows average price for primers is $150 for the past 3 months.
Some stores, who are CCI Dealers, are selling them for $99.50.
One person posted on an Arizona local forum he paid $450. This in my humble opinion was dumb on his part.
On the Smith & Wesson forum a couple of weeks ago there were several postings of primers showing up in quantity at gun stores throughout the central part of the US at regular retail.
CCI is now selling ammo and I think primers direct to the public at their regular retail.
I heard Federal was doing the same thing.
Ammo has no hazmat fee.
Primers and Powder do have a hazmat fee, usually the seller adds $25 to the cost of the primers/powder/shipping charges.

Personally I think there is NO AMMO SHORTAGE of the military calibers.
There are scarred folks who are afraid the ammo will disappear and they will pay anything regardless of its availability.
There is a Glut of 5.56 x45mm and 7.62 x51mm and 7.62 x39mm.
The major sporting goods stores in Arizona have cases and cases of the stuff up and down the isles stacked 3 feet high.
Plus, there is always a enormous amount at the gun shows.

jonp
05-08-2021, 01:25 PM
Last gunshow I went to a few weeks ago had the $150/1000 primers and silly 9mm prices. I was walking around that place for a few hours and didn't see one primer or ammo sale.

I think the post panic price will be in the $40-$50/1000 range and I'd pay that for primers. Much more and I'd have to rethink my target practice

Bmi48219
05-08-2021, 07:10 PM
Hi] CCI is now selling ammo and I think primers direct to the public at their regular retail.
I heard Federal was doing the same thing.
Ammo has no hazmat fee.
Primers and Powder do have a hazmat fee, usually the seller adds $25 to the cost of the primers/powder/shipping charges..

I just looked at both Federal and CCI websites. Both say check with local suppliers for availability.

tomme boy
05-09-2021, 01:04 AM

I load all of mine for free. I sell brass all over the net on different boards. I take it to the scrap yard. I get all of the brass for free. I just pick it up. All of that $ is set aside from my regular $. I can't remember the last time I used my normal $ to get a gun or loading supplies. While i don't like the new prices, it is still not costing me any actual $ yet.

jonp
05-09-2021, 06:32 AM
I load all of mine for free. I sell brass all over the net on different boards. I take it to the scrap yard. I get all of the brass for free. I just pick it up. All of that $ is set aside from my regular $. I can't remember the last time I used my normal $ to get a gun or loading supplies. While i don't like the new prices, it is still not costing me any actual $ yet.

I don't understand your post. You take brass TO the scrap yard? You mean you go to the scrap yard and get brass, clean it up and sell it then use the money from that to get more supplies? There is one scrap yard near me that gets bins of brass from several ranges but you have to buy it from them and it's in a barrel so you have to pick it.

762 shooter
05-09-2021, 07:18 AM
I bought enough primers at $.03 apiece to never have to pay more.
Current prices are normal if you are just starting.
Remember this cycle when times are rosy and primer prices come back down.

Cosmic_Charlie
05-09-2021, 08:33 AM
Out lgs got some srp in recently. Limit 200 and selling for a nickel a piece ( $50/1000 ). At least powder is starting is starting to show up. When this is all over I will buy primers 5000 at a time and powder in 8 lb jugs.

rbuck351
05-09-2021, 11:25 AM
Being 72 now and buying and storing components since the 70s, I believe I will never have to buy any components again. If I averaged the price I have paid for primers over the years it would probably be around $15 per thousand. Powder would probably be around $15 per lb as well. Lead has been very cheap or free and I recycle from my home range. I can load for most of the calibers I shoot the most (9mm 38, 45, 22H, 25/20 and other such) for around 3 to 4 cents per round and still pass on a bunch of components to my sons.

I got caught in a primer shortage sometime in the 70s and decided it wasn't going to happen again and so far it hasn't. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Gator 45/70
05-09-2021, 09:40 PM
I sold something like 14K of primers a couple of months ago on a local board, All these belonged to my dead friend and every dime went to his widow.

Mossy88
05-09-2021, 10:24 PM
I went to a gun show in south Florida on March 21. Primers were $100--150/1000. Ouch.

god I hate gougers. I just busted one of them at walmart last week buying up 22lr and 12 gauge.
we were talking just fine then I mentioned how i HATE gougers and all of a sudden he gets real twitchy acting and moved away from me as fast as he could, then reminded me I got there second, lol.

justindad
05-10-2021, 07:32 AM
I blacklist vendors selling at “market prices” of $250/1000.
A company can ask “how much can I possibly sell an item for?” or “How can I make a good profit?”
“How little can I pay my employees, and limit raises?” or “How much can I afford to pay my employees?”
Capitalism in the absence of morality will yield socialism.

tomme boy
05-10-2021, 09:21 PM
I don't understand your post. You take brass TO the scrap yard? You mean you go to the scrap yard and get brass, clean it up and sell it then use the money from that to get more supplies? There is one scrap yard near me that gets bins of brass from several ranges but you have to buy it from them and it's in a barrel so you have to pick it.

I take scrap none sellable brass to the yard. Check the price of it right now. Highest it has ever been. Thinking about taking my 55 gal barrels full and getting a new car.

Idaho45guy
05-11-2021, 03:37 AM
I blacklist vendors selling at “market prices” of $250/1000.
A company can ask “how much can I possibly sell an item for?” or “How can I make a good profit?”
“How little can I pay my employees, and limit raises?” or “How much can I afford to pay my employees?”
Capitalism in the absence of morality will yield socialism.

Exactly! I believe in Capitalism, but I believe in morality more. Socialism is not moral, but unfettered capitalism isn't either. Our country has been in a moral crisis for the past 50 years or so. I don't see it surviving another 10 before imploding into tribalism and chaos due to a complete rejection of Biblical values and morality.

Randy Bohannon
05-11-2021, 03:51 AM
Who’s morality ? By what standard ? Crony Capitalism is as dangerous as any other economic model. We’ve passed the Crony Capitalism and have moved onto ‘Share Holder Capitalism’ just like the ChiComms, isn’t Communism great ?

dverna
05-11-2021, 10:51 AM
I love hearing people "blacklist" companies. When those companies have a sale, there is more cheap stuff for me to buy in bulk. I will pay more to support the LGS if I need something quickly or non-stocking supplies, but on-line retailers are all the same to me. Who ever has the best price gets the order.

So please take your name off their email alerts. It is a win-win. You will not be tempted to 'cave', and there is more for capitalists like me to hoard. If "gougers" ever offer primers at $35/k, I don't want socialists to have morality issues.

Geezer in NH
05-11-2021, 07:25 PM
Think about it. Some local dealers are selling at the higher prices, I do know one dealer doing the same as he had to spend big bucks to get some for in store sales to keep his customers in supply.

Boycotting a dealer for sellng at a higher price now later on when the prices go down is going to loose another stocking dealer.

Here in NH we have had 3-4 of the bigger gun shops close in the last 2 years or so. Now some of us are getting stuck buying from the big box ones 1 in NH 2 in ME.

Gator 45/70
05-11-2021, 08:07 PM
Shoot man, I looked at one old boys meager stash last weekend, I estimated +/- 52K more or less.
He's not worried about gougers and laughs at the habitual un-prepared.

Idaho45guy
05-11-2021, 09:27 PM
Shoot man, I looked at one old boys meager stash last weekend, I estimated +/- 52K more or less.
He's not worried about gougers and laughs at the habitual un-prepared.

Sounds like a real peach of a guy. When his stash gets destroyed by a hurricane, I guess it will be our turn to laugh at him.

Gtrubicon
05-11-2021, 11:03 PM
Sounds like a real peach of a guy. When his stash gets destroyed by a hurricane, I guess it will be our turn to laugh at him.

Wow

Chill Wills
05-12-2021, 12:05 AM

I am trying to figure how to take that.....? Ouch?

trails4u
05-12-2021, 12:09 AM
I am trying to figure how to take that.....? Ouch?

Agreed. Good on him for being prepared. Can't find any humor in the possibility of him losing the work he's put in to be ahead of this, as many of us have.

jaysouth
05-12-2021, 01:14 AM
Did a show in Paducah KY this weekend and remmy primers at $125./K on the next table were hardly selling..
Unless I missed one,, Im pretty sure he only sold 2-3K all weekend.

FWIW,, there was also all anyone could want of 9mm fmj @ $30. Or 45acp fmj @ $40. from just about every other table and it was also moving like pond water...

I was at that show and saw powder sellers asking $70 a pound for powder. I hope they learn to eat it when prices come to a "new" normal.

Idaho45guy
05-12-2021, 04:05 AM
Agreed. Good on him for being prepared. Can't find any humor in the possibility of him losing the work he's put in to be ahead of this, as many of us have.

But it's OK to laugh at folks who weren't prepared? Maybe some were foolish and didn't think to stock up, but maybe others are on a limited income, or maybe they just recently got into reloading.

Not sure why it's perfectly fine to laugh and gloat at fellow gun owners that don't have tens of thousands of components.

Gator 45/70
05-12-2021, 07:41 AM

Jealous much? Wishing for a hurricane on someone is bad, Very bad juju man.

rbuck351
05-12-2021, 10:25 AM
I am well prepared as I have invested a lot of time and effort in being prepared. I don't laugh at the grasshoppers nor do I wish bad things on those that chose not to prepare. I do feel for those that could not prepare but I believe those are very few compared to those that chose not to prepare. I chose to build up my food, gas, tools, TP, loading components and other items that would help my family get through shortages or disasters. I did without the toys that most now days seem to think necessary such as new cars and trucks, boats, airplanes, campers, playing golf, ski lift tickets, gyms and other non essential things. We all make our choices on where we spend the money we earn. I feel for those that choose poorly and don't laugh at them, but don't expect me to help those that choose that path.

So, I am well prepared, but if a hurricane should destroy my stuff it will probably destroy a lot of Idaho and Eastern Washington as well. Beware the unintended consequences of your wishes.

dverna
05-12-2021, 11:53 AM
I am well prepared as I have invested a lot of time and effort in being prepared. I don't laugh at the grasshoppers nor do I wish bad things on those that chose not to prepare. I do feel for those that could not prepare but I believe those are very few compared to those that chose not to prepare. I chose to build up my food, gas, tools, TP, loading components and other items that would help my family get through shortages or disasters. I did without the toys that most now days seem to think necessary such as new cars and trucks, boats, airplanes, campers, playing golf, ski lift tickets, gyms and other non essential things. We all make our choices on where we spend the money we earn. I feel for those that choose poorly and don't laugh at them, but don't expect me to help those that choose that path.

So, I am well prepared, but if a hurricane should destroy my stuff it will probably destroy a lot of Idaho and Eastern Washington as well. Beware the unintended consequences of your wishes.

Good post.

Idaho45guy
05-12-2021, 01:49 PM
Jealous much? Wishing for a hurricane on someone is bad, Very bad juju man.

Not jealous; I have plenty of components for my needs. And I never wished a hurricane on anyone. I was just pointing out that gloating over how many components you have and laughing at others that have less is poor behavior, and that tragedy can happen to anyone.

I know a guy that works at a bullet manufacturing company. Had an impressive collection of firearms and five lifetimes worth of components. Super nice guy. He had an electrical fire in his shop and he lost it all in less than an hour.

But since he doesn't have 52k primers, I guess it's okay to laugh at him, right?

Or the young college kid on here that just got into reloading last year, during the worst time ever, on a limited budget. Should we laugh at him?

Interesting how someone can read something and come up with a completely opposite impression of what was written.

Idaho45guy
05-12-2021, 01:58 PM

Do you seriously think I wished a hurricane on anyone? How did you get that from what I wrote?

I used the example of a hurricane as a natural disaster that could take everything from someone and then leave them with no components. I used a hurricane as an example due to where the OP lived. If he lived up here, I would have used a forest fire as an example. I know people that have lost everything in a forest fire.

Not sure how anyone could get from what I wrote that I was so jealous that I wished a natural disaster on someone to wipe out all their components. Seriously?

Gator 45/70
05-12-2021, 08:47 PM
Not jealous; I have plenty of components for my needs. And I never wished a hurricane on anyone. I was just pointing out that gloating over how many components you have and laughing at others that have less is poor behavior, and that tragedy can happen to anyone.

I know a guy that works at a bullet manufacturing company. Had an impressive collection of firearms and five lifetimes worth of components. Super nice guy. He had an electrical fire in his shop and he lost it all in less than an hour.

But since he doesn't have 52k primers, I guess it's okay to laugh at him, right?

Or the young college kid on here that just got into reloading last year, during the worst time ever, on a limited budget. Should we laugh at him?

Interesting how someone can read something and come up with a completely opposite impression of what was written.

Yeah well, I told him I hope he can swim naked in all his primers and hopefully none go off.
On behalf of all the gentlemen in the south that stand on our sacred soil we wish you well up there.

rbuck351
05-12-2021, 11:05 PM
Laughing at someone that would lose his primers or anything else from a hurricane would to me be very similar to laughing at someone that could not or did not stock up when prices were a lot more reasonable. I'm not into laughing at anyone unless they are trying to be funny and many of those aren't.
I also believe there are folks on this forum that have a lot more than 52K primers. I congratulate those that had the foresight and means to prepare for uncertain times when things were available.
Sorry for those that could not.

bangerjim
05-13-2021, 07:53 PM
Just found a guy that sold them for $300/12,000! Nice deal. Could not transport across the country. Primers are where you find them.

remy3424
05-14-2021, 07:25 AM

Well said. If shooting was/is important to you,you would have apply your resources to this hobby/lifestyle. It isn't like we didn't see this coming.

Freightman
05-15-2021, 05:22 PM
I am old beat up and have a old beat up PU and not a lot of $$$ but I was smart enough to stock up years ago. I will more than likely pass before I use all the stock, but the boys can and do use the stock. Thought about trading some for a new PU truck LOL but I like my old truck.:bigsmyl2:

shdwlkr
05-17-2021, 12:40 PM
just got an email from
Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore
10:15 AM (21 minutes ago)
they have cci primers small pistol in stock for 129.99/ 1000

LenH
05-17-2021, 01:14 PM
I was talking to a fellow shooter and was talking about getting some SPP from gun broker for $1500 for a case of 5K. I looked at him like he had a third eye.
He shoots a bunch of 9MM and was out.

On the other hand another fellow shooter had cleaned out a storage container and has been getting his stuff narrowed down and we refer to the back of his pickup
as Bobby's flea market. I was in need of some large rifle primers and got box of 1l for $40 and both of us went home tickled.

Cosmic_Charlie
05-17-2021, 02:10 PM
just got an email from

That is too high. I will go without before paying that much. A little over a year ago I paid $165 for a thousand primers but they came with 9mm cases, powder and j words all put together.

Battis
05-17-2021, 09:54 PM
I walked into the shooting section of The Store today and there on the shelf were a few dozen boxes of SPP for $5.99 per box. Limit two boxes per person per day. I bought two, my wife bought two. It looked like the old days.
Last week I bought 2 boxes of LRP for about the same price.

sparky45
05-18-2021, 08:18 AM
Were those boxes of 100 ea? If so, maybe that's going to be the new norm.

mfraser264
05-18-2021, 08:37 AM
yovinny,

You brought back memories of when we started loading, could only afford 1 pack of 100, 1 box of bullets, 1 pound of powder and so on. When we bought our first brick of primers I felt rich!

dverna
05-18-2021, 08:55 AM
I walked into the shooting section of The Store today and there on the shelf were a few dozen boxes of SPP for $5.99 per box. Limit two boxes per person per day. I bought two, my wife bought two. It looked like the old days.
Last week I bought 2 boxes of LRP for about the same price.

That is not bad. I suspect buying in bulk, the new norm will be $40-50/k.

Battis
05-18-2021, 10:52 AM
$5.99 per box of 100 (CCI). I went there late in the day and there didn't seem to be a rush on them. There were no other sizes on the shelves. Like I said, I got two boxes of large rifle primers last week. They had some ammo on the shelves but I didn't really check it out.

kayala
05-18-2021, 03:12 PM
just got an email from

I've got similar email about a week or maybe two ago, guess they don't sell much at that price. Unsubscribed from their future emails actually, don't think I'd be buying from them frequently if at all.

Conditor22
05-18-2021, 04:06 PM
primers are available online IF you are lucky and fast enough.

I got lucky last week---- I can live with $50.50 a brick right now.

Products & Fees
Item # Name Price Quantity Total
RM712LA REMINGTON PRIMER 7-1/2 LA SMALL RIFLE BENCH REST 5000/CS $222.99 1 $222.99

Fixed-Rate Shipping $9.95
Hazardous Materials Fee $19.50

Total $252.44

The Remington plant recently got fired up again working 24/7 hopefully we will see more of this soon.

slohunter
05-18-2021, 04:36 PM
No thanks, I'll wait awhile.