trapper9260
05-01-2021, 06:19 PM
Yes they are , just take care of them you will have them for life ,

JLF
05-01-2021, 07:12 PM
Thanks trapper9260

gwpercle
05-01-2021, 07:22 PM
Depends on the maker . Some are better than others .
When Lee sold single and double cavity moulds , with handles , for only $10 to $20 this poor boy fell in love with Aluminum , simply for the cost . They wern't the best moulds ever made but I could do a little hand finishing and cast servicable boolits .
A 4 cavity NOE aluminum mould opened my eyes as to how sweet a aluminum could be ... they cost much more than $20 ... but you get exactly what you pay for and with a NOE maybe a little / lot more ... they don't come with handles so that cost has to be considered .
I'm sold on aluminum ... even Lee moulds are quite servicable .
Gary

GARD72977
05-01-2021, 07:27 PM
I prefer aluminum molds. (Not LEE)

JLF
05-01-2021, 07:30 PM
Depends on the maker . Some are better than others .
When Lee sold single and double cavity moulds , with handles , for only $10 to $20 this poor boy fell in love with Aluminum , simply for the cost . They wern't the best moulds ever made but I could do a little hand finishing and cast servicable boolits .
A 4 cavity NOE aluminum mould opened my eyes as to how sweet a aluminum could be ... they cost much more than $20 ... but you get exactly what you pay for and with a NOE maybe a little / lot more ... they don't come with handles so that cost has to be considered .
I'm sold on aluminum ... even Lee moulds are quite servicable .
Gary

Thank you Gary

JLF
05-01-2021, 07:31 PM
I prefer aluminum molds. (Not LEE)

Thank you GARD72977

david s
05-01-2021, 10:43 PM
I have a couple of the LEE 6 Cavity moulds a 45-230-TC and it's little brother a 9-120-TC that I don't remember the actual mould numbers for. There okay moulds. That said I consider the NOE aluminum 5 cavity moulds at about $100 minus any discounts as about the best mould deal going.

ioon44
05-02-2021, 09:10 AM
The aluminum molds I use that are made by Accurate are the best I have ever used.

Cosmic_Charlie
05-02-2021, 11:33 AM
Yes, aluminum are the easiest to cast with. I preheat mine on the glass top stove while the pot melts. Good boolits from the git go.

Larry Gibson
05-02-2021, 11:55 AM
I also prefer aluminum moulds. I have no problem with Lee's moulds. They just need a bit more mould prep prior to use than other moulds costing 3 or more times as much. I've Lee Moulds I bought back in the mid 70s (cost was $6.95 at the LGS) and have cast hundreds if not thousands of bullets with them and they are still in excellent condition. As mentioned, you just have to take care of them and don't beat them to death.

zarrinvz24
05-02-2021, 01:10 PM
I seem to be in the minority here but I prefer iron molds. They hold heat better and overall are much less fussy. Corrosion is what everyone hates about them, get some VCI paper and store in an airtight container like an ammo can and you won’t have any issues at all. If Lyman had never had the quality control issues they did, they likely would still be everyone’s go to.

DocSavage
05-02-2021, 01:16 PM
NOE,Accurate,Arsenal,LBT and NEI are the aluminium molds I have all have served me well . Tried a couple of Lee molds just couldn't get a decent bullet with them eventually gave them away.

farmerjim
05-02-2021, 01:38 PM
I have 1 NOE aluminum and about 40 Lee molds . They both need a little break in and a bit more care than the 6 steel Lyman molds that I hardly ever use. They are a lot lighter than the steel.

John Boy
05-02-2021, 02:24 PM
Cannot agree more ... The Best

AM #9
Boolit Master

The aluminum molds I use that are made by Accurate are the best I have ever used.

jonp
05-02-2021, 03:44 PM
I prefer Lee moulds although they do heat up faster keeping a damp rag on the side helps in this. I like the reduced weight and I don't notice any quality difference in them vs RCBS or Lyman

17nut
05-02-2021, 05:30 PM
Nah. They dont last.
Aluminium is softer and will wear way faster than iron, you cant deny it!

Usually my Lee 459-405-HB moulds last no more than 1800-2000 fills before the sprue hole get's severely elongated and that is with 97/3. The Lee base up moulds tend to last longer.

But i have yet to wear out a single iron mould and i have some more than 80+ years old!

JLF
05-02-2021, 06:31 PM
Thanks a million to all of you.
It is nice to read opinions of people with a lot of experience.

jonp
05-02-2021, 06:56 PM
Really? Because I have several Lee moulds with several thousand through them and they cast fine

Huskerguy
05-02-2021, 09:20 PM
I think you have some good opinions. I haven't cast a million but I do have an opinion. As far as longevity, steel is hard to beat. I have several of them, Lyman and RCBS. I have a couple 2 cavity Lee's and while I can get decent bullets from them, they do not compare to their big brother the 6 cavity. I also have a couple NOE and an Arsenal that you cannot tell apart. They are obviously softer material but much lighter which you will appreciate when you get older. If you take care of an aluminum I don't see why they won't last a lifetime and more. I can get the aluminum molds up to heat quickly and keep it there and cast bullets like a mad man. Likely you will need to cool it off.

GregLaROCHE
05-02-2021, 09:37 PM
Aluminum works, but that doesn’t guarantee that a couple of lemons don’t get produced now and then. Be especially careful buying used aluminum molds. They are a good inexpensive way to start casting. You can afford to try various size boolits to see what your gun(s) like and maybe invest in a more expensive one in the future.

JLF
05-02-2021, 09:57 PM
Aluminum works, but that doesn’t guarantee that a couple of lemons don’t get produced now and then. Be especially careful buying used aluminum molds. They are a good inexpensive way to start casting. You can afford to try various size boolits to see what your gun(s) like and maybe invest in a more expensive one in the future.
Thank you very much for the advice....

kevin c
05-02-2021, 10:01 PM
I started with aluminum molds, having picked them for lower cost and higher capacity. The first ones got beat up pretty badly, but I've learned to take better care of newer molds. I also have a couple brass molds, but haven't used them yet.

If you need a lot of bullets, the lighter weight of aluminum permits molds that will drop 8 bullets a pour with less fatigue and discomfort for those getting on in years or with arthritic hands or wrists (a bottom pour pot with a mold guide also helps a lot).

JLF
05-02-2021, 10:06 PM
I started with aluminum molds, having picked them for lower cost and higher capacity. The first ones got beat up pretty badly, but I've learned to take better care of newer molds. I also have a couple brass molds, but haven't used them yet.

If you need a lot of bullets, the lighter weight of aluminum permits molds that will drop 8 bullets a pour with less fatigue and discomfort for those getting on in years or with arthritic hands or wrists (a bottom pour pot with a mold guide also helps a lot).

Thanks Kevin c ... What is the basic maintenance of an aluminum mold?

tankgunner59
05-02-2021, 11:07 PM
I have mostly Lee aluminum molds and they work great for me. I have had a couple glitches with one or two, but all in all they work great as long as you care for them.

Walks
05-02-2021, 11:31 PM
My first Aluminum molds were 3 Lee 2cav 44cal molds that my Dad purchased Used at a GunShow about 33yrs ago. The Older Gentleman that sold them to us said to treat them a bit Gentle.
Always have, about 30,000 bullets so far.

Treat My N.O.E. and Accurate molds the same way. Cast about 4,000 from them so far.

Yeah, they can be Good molds, treat them with respect.

kevin c
05-03-2021, 03:45 AM
Thanks Kevin c ... What is the basic maintenance of an aluminum mold?

I've only been casting a few years, but I can at least describe the mistakes I've made and what remedies I've used in casting 25 to 30 thousand pistol bullets in multi cavity aluminum molds.

The first thing worth remembering is that aluminum is softer than steel or brass, so more care may be needed to keep the blocks in good shape.

Opening the blocks should be done so that they don't hit each other. When closing them, the blocks should be square to each other with the alignment pins directly opposite their holes so the faces close flat and flush without edge or pin contact with the faces.

The tops of the blocks and the bottom of the sprue plate should be lubed regularly during a casting session to prevent lead build up and to ensure smooth plate operation. Special care should be taken to keep the pivot bolt and the area around it clean of lead and lubricated; this area can get circular scratches that make the mold top uneven. Tightening the bolt in this situation usually does not make sprue cutting better; my personal experience is that it and the scratches both get worse. I also think that the weight of six and eight cavity steel sprue plates that have cammed opener handles can put a lot of pressure on this area if left hanging in the open position, so supporting it during use might be a good idea.

Speaking of the cammed sprue plate openers, the cam bears on the side of the right hand mold block. MP puts a countersunk steel bolt there to prevent progressive scarring under the cam; other companies do not. It might be worthwhile to protect the block this way.

Steel tools like Allen wrenches and screw/nut drivers should only be used on the steel hardware. Don't make my mistake of using the steel needle nose pliers I got to pick up hot rejects and sprues to also act as a mold tapper or to push out bullets stuck in the cavities; the consequences of a slip or misplaced blow are dire.

Aluminum doesn't rust, but the steel hardware can: rust preventive measures should be taken for storage.

Over time, the mold block and sprue cam wood handles can loosen as repeated heating of the tangs dry out and char the handle interior. Eventually, reseating a loose handle with a whack on the end no longer works, so some drill and pin, others apply JB Weld.

Lead deposits are not your friend. On the mold faces they cause finning and out of round bullets, on top uneven bullet bases and more finning. And once there's a deposit, it tends to grow. Getting then off the soft aluminum without damage precludes using some of the rougher techniques usable on, say, iron molds, so it's better to take preventive measures. As mentioned, lube (or graphite) on the mold top and sprue plate makes new lead deposits easy to wipe off with a lubed cotton or burlap cloth. Close the blocks carefully to avoid damage, and keep them closed firmly while filling. If you do get a speck of lead on the mold face, a graphite pencil, bamboo skewer or an UNlubed cotton or burlap cloth can be used to remove it while the mold is up at casting temp.

That's all I can think of for now. The wiser heads and voices of greater experience I'm sure will add their thoughts.

JLF
05-03-2021, 11:31 AM
I thank Mr. Kevin C for his detailed report on how to care for the molds.
A big hug from Argentina ...

high standard 40
05-03-2021, 12:22 PM
I have about an equal number of iron and aluminum molds. Both cast excellent projectiles. All of my aluminum molds are either Accurate or NOE. The only Lee molds I have are the six cavity versions and I have them only to feed my semi auto handguns. Quality aluminum mold will last a very long time if properly cared for.

JLF
05-03-2021, 12:36 PM
Thank you Mr. high standard 40

kevin c
05-04-2021, 01:59 AM
I thank Mr. Kevin C for his detailed report on how to care for the molds.
A big hug from Argentina ...
De nada (or is it "por nada"? I never got the regional variations straight). I hope to visit your country some day.

JLF
05-04-2021, 11:58 AM
Both terms have the same meaning.
If you come, I will gladly invite you to hunt

Burnt Fingers
05-04-2021, 12:38 PM
I have about an equal number of iron and aluminum molds. Both cast excellent projectiles. All of my aluminum molds are either Accurate or NOE. The only Lee molds I have are the six cavity versions and I have them only to feed my semi auto handguns. Quality aluminum mold will last a very long time if properly cared for.

My MP 8 cavity is at least 33% better than a Lee six cavity :)

high standard 40
05-04-2021, 03:20 PM
My MP 8 cavity is at least 33% better than a Lee six cavity :)

Only 33%?

Bobbers
05-04-2021, 04:12 PM
I have a few aluminum molds and they work fine for me.

JLF
05-04-2021, 09:19 PM
Thank you friends ... for continuing to provide experience

DocSavage
05-04-2021, 09:55 PM
Got silicon lube if you need it.

kevin c
05-05-2021, 04:56 AM
At least for HiTek coating, silicone lubes are bad news. Per the inventor, it prevents adhesion if there's even just a trace on the cast slug. Perhaps not an issue with standard lubes. Dunno if PC would have issues.

I do use spray on silicone lube, but only for case sizing.

Burnt Fingers
05-05-2021, 11:06 AM
Only 33%?

Eight is 33% more than six :)

high standard 40
05-05-2021, 12:47 PM
Eight is 33% more than six :)

Oh, OK. I thought you were referring to quality.

Rich/WIS
05-12-2021, 11:14 AM
A big plus for a lot of us older guys is the lower weight of aluminum molds when talking more than double cavity. A lyman 4 cavity is heavy and RCBS are double cavity so your only option if you cast a LOT of bullets are LEE, NOE or accurate, and these are AL molds (brass too but have never had one). Properly used and cared for AL molds will last a long time and produce a mountain of bullets.

kevin c
05-20-2021, 12:33 AM
I'd put MP 8 cavity aluminum molds on that same list for quality, weight and productivity, though he isn't a US company (Slovenia).