PDA

View Full Version : Working the kinks out of an old CVA .32 Squirrel Rifle

David LaPell
04-29-2021, 10:21 PM
With all of the issues so many are having with .22 LR right now, getting the ammo etc. I decided to try and work out some more kinks with my old CVA .32 Squirrel Rifle. This gun was built as a kit by my Grandfather sometime in the 1970's and I inherited it some 25 years ago. It was in pretty rough shape when I got it, and I essentially had to rebuild it and ended up refinishing it. The double set triggers didn't work and there was something wrong with them internally so I converted it to a single trigger which works very well. I replaced the nipple with one that takes musket caps which made the ignition much more reliable.

Last year though for some reason the gun was not shooting well with a load I had worked up for it. My normal load used to be 10 grains of FFFG Triple 7 and a .010" patch (any thicker and it would burn through) with a .310" roundball. But as you can see from the first target at 30 yards, there was no consistency. So I decided to try it out with some Goex FFFG and the same patch, same roundball but the load was upped to 20 grains, no burn through on the patches either. I shot it again at the same distance and the results were much better. So this is now just part of the arsenal I plan on taking out this fall squirrel hunting so that I don't have to use up shotgun or .22 LR ammo where as .310" roundballs are pretty much everywhere and I have enough on hand to last me several years, and 20 grains of powder at a time is hardly enough to worry about.

The first target shot with Triple 7 powder at 30 yards.

https://i.imgur.com/WkxJe7r.jpg?1

The second target with Goex FFFG at 30 yards.

https://i.imgur.com/2ZrWQY5.jpg?1

A pretty big difference between the two.

https://i.imgur.com/CIlPmbb.jpg?1

TNsailorman
04-29-2021, 11:05 PM
I had a TC .32 at one time and should have kept it. I used FFFG also and it shot very well for me. Those little rifles makes a pound of powder go a long way and the round balls are cheap compared to a 50 or 58. Enjoy that little rifle, they are a hoot to shoot for sure. james

AntiqueSledMan
04-30-2021, 06:21 AM
Hello David,

I've been playing with .32 since 1984, the CVA's are fun little guns.
Unfortunately I sold mine and purchased a .32 Pedersoli Flint with a 39" barrel.
Unable to get it firing reliably I converted it to Percussion.
Years later I picked up a CVA Squirrel kit and my son assembled it, he did a very nice job.
So nice that I decided I wanted another one myself. I did finally find one.
We have put the Mountain Rifle Sights on both, looks much nicer than the Hunting Sights they came with.
I've been shooting a .308 RB with a thick patch, it was all I could find back in the day but shoots well.
The only issue with the little Squirrel Rifles is the lack of comb in the stock.
Here is a little history of the Squirrel Rifle.
The Squirrel Rifle, .32 caliber Percussion or Flintlock, 1:48 twist 25” x 11/16” barrel, introduced in 1983
The Left Hand 32 caliber Percussion Rifle and Percussion Kit introduced in 1984.
The 36 Caliber Percussion Squirrel Rifle and Percussion Kit introduced in 1989.
The 36/50 caliber Combo Percussion Kit introduced in 1989.

AntiqueSledMan.

mooman76
04-30-2021, 09:03 AM
I have a Traditions Deerhunter in 32 cal. I shoot it with 15gr Pyrodex P. Good little shooter and powder lasts forever.

Mk42gunner
04-30-2021, 04:20 PM
I've got a Traditions Crocket in .32 that I really need to get busy with, squirrel season starts next month.

The Crocket rifle is nice and light, just as a small bore should be. I saw one of the Deerhunters in a store for about half what I paid for mine, but it felt awful heavy with its large barrel and small hole.

Robert

mooman76
04-30-2021, 06:13 PM
I got it cheap cause it was on clearance. Wish I had gotten two. It's a little heavy but not bad for me and has a short barrel so balances well for me.

country gent
04-30-2021, 06:28 PM
I would recommend measuring the twist in the barrel as TC and others went to a faster twist ( universal) if it is one of these give a bullet a try. You might try something along the lines of a 32 cal round nose pistol bullet in the 70 grn range cast from pure lead. the longer bullet may match the rifling better

indian joe
05-04-2021, 08:57 AM
I would recommend measuring the twist in the barrel as TC and others went to a faster twist ( universal) if it is one of these give a bullet a try. You might try something along the lines of a 32 cal round nose pistol bullet in the 70 grn range cast from pure lead. the longer bullet may match the rifling better

If its a 48 twist thats the round ball twist for 32 and 36 cal - 66 twist for 45 and 50 cal - 66 or 72 for a 54 cal ...................
Big fun advantage of a 32 round ball is you can take an aerial shot with it and if you miss you not gonna kill your neighbor in his hayfield - even a 22 is dangerous shot in the sky most places we live these days.

Ural Driver
05-04-2021, 10:52 AM
That is a nice rifle. I have been looking for a .32 for many years.