PDA

View Full Version : Lyman Lubrisizer Questions

wildwes
01-01-2009, 12:26 AM
Hey folks, I've been reading threads on here for a while, and now I have some questions, so I decided it was time to join. Anyway, I've been using all of my grandaddy's casting and loading equipment for the past few years, including his old Lyman 45 lubrisizer. Well, it works fine, and is in great shape, but now that I have been using orange magic and also casting for some calibers that I don't have sizing dies for, I have some questions. First off, will sizing dies and top punches for a 450/4500 lubrisizer work with my machine? I have been using his old dies, so I haven't ever bought any for it. Also, will a new lube heater, such as the base plate ones, work with this machine? And last, but not least, does anyone see any problems arising from taking a .325 sizing die and using a .331 or .332 valve gide reamer to open it up? I have been sing a lee sizer for my M95 Steyr, but I am about tired of pan lubing, I would much rather use a lubrisizer.
Anyway, I would appreciate any and all help on these questions, I figure somebody here can answer them :) Thanks in advance everybody.

beagle
01-01-2009, 12:35 AM
Yes, the new dies from Lyman will work just fine in there. In fact, the new dies have a beveled entrance that makes sizing easier and the sides of the bullet smoother. A good machinst can bevel the mouths to make the old ones like that as well. The original dies from Ideal/Lyman had a step at the entrance and that caused all kinds of problems.

I'm not sure about the heater. I have a heater that Crazy Mark made for me and it will take a #45 so I suppose someone makes them.

As far as opening the die, I'd contact Buskshot and have him open it up for me as he's experienced and equipped to do that unless you want the experience and satisfaction of doing it yourself. BUt yes, that's doeable as well./beagle

Calehedron
01-01-2009, 12:56 AM
The heater base doesnt have pre drilled holes for the 45 but you can drill your own as long as you stay clear of the element that comes in rear dead center. Shouldnt be hard to miss it.

Boerrancher
01-01-2009, 02:01 AM
I have an old Lyman 45 and use many of the new sizers. If you choose to open up the sizing die the best way to do it is with a piece of emery cloth wrapped around a dowel rod, making sure the emery cloth is wide enough to extend through both ends of the die. put a small amount of pressure on each end of the dowel rod and roll the die back and fourth on your leg to remove material from the inside of the die. Just remember to leave enough material so that you can use extra fine emery to polish it to the final size.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

dromia
01-01-2009, 06:07 AM
Welcome to Cast Boolits Wildwes. :drinks:

94Doug
01-01-2009, 03:26 PM
As far as a heater, you could go with the metal plate an Iron method. Let me know if you need a copy of a manual.

Doug

MT Gianni
01-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Welcome Wes. For a heater I use a trouble light hung next to the lube. If you need more heat go with a magnetic engine block heater. Gianni

wildwes
01-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Well, I appreciate the help y'all are giving me. I'm glad to know that the new dies work ok, I'd hate to have to get into having to modify stuff too heavily, I get enough of that with my old tractors and equipment :) And as far as the heater, I don't guess I need it too hot, just something to make lyman orange magic flow a little easier, that stuff is a pita when it's cold outside, as the building I work in isn't heated. As far as opening up the sizing die, I have a lee die that I really like, It sizes and seats gas checks well, I just really want to be able to lube in a lubrisizer, so I figured if I open it up enough to not size the bullet any, just lube it, I'll be fine. Anyway, like I said before, I'm grateful for any and all help or advice I can get. And I guess it's a little late now, but happy new years everybody!

wildwes
01-01-2009, 10:57 PM
Oh yeah, one other question, Gianni, how would you attach a magnetic engine block heater if it were you?

MT Gianni
01-02-2009, 12:49 AM
I stick the magnet onto the luber. It's a pain to turn it off and on to adjust temps but it's cheap when you have one in the toolbox.

wildwes
01-02-2009, 09:27 PM
I guess that would be simple enough, lol, I was thinking maybe you clamped it to the reservoir or something, but then again I was picturing one of the engine heaters like they make for tractors that go in where the dipstick usually goes. I may just buy a baseplate heater, when I have money, and drill it out. I don't mind drilling and tapping it, I would just hate to drill into that element and ruin it. And thanks for the help everybody!