PDA

View Full Version : Do You Have A Garden ... What Cha Got Planted ?

gwpercle
04-28-2021, 07:35 PM
New Year and a New Garden . Got some backyard planting in:
Tomatoes - Better Boy , Celebrity and Roma (BLT's and freezing some)
Gypsey Peppers (pickled )
Jalapeno Peppers (pickled)
Large Green Bell Peppers (cooking and stuffing )
Pecorino Peppers (pickled and cooking)
Yellow Squash
Cucumbers
Snap Beans ( had a good yield last year and they taste great)

I put so much okra in the freezer for cooking last year (bumper crop) that I'm not growing any okra this year , have saved seed for next year . Sunday night I fixed a nice Big Chicken , Sausage , Andouille and Okra Gumbo ... heavy on the okra too ... it was soooo gooood !
If anyone wants some seeds to plant okra ...Tall Red or Green Bush okra , just let me know ... I got plenty and it's easy to grow .
Gary

rancher1913
04-28-2021, 09:04 PM
we are only doing a small garden this year, about 2 acres. got the sweet corn planted and about 150 pounds of potatoes. everything else is stil in the greenhouse as its to cold to get it in the ground just yet. got 450 cabbage plants, 300 broccoli, 150 cauliflower, 10 zukinis, 50 beans, 50 turnips, 100 beets, 150 tomatoes, 150 peppers, and probably some more that I can not remember.

MaryB
04-29-2021, 02:51 PM
I have 40 tomato plants started, they are just setting their second set of leaves. I won't plant most of the garden until the end of may. Cold weather stuff going in next week. Finally past the hard freezes I think... no more temps dropping to 20...

FISH4BUGS
04-29-2021, 03:26 PM
I have a 35 x 35 garden and grow most everything.
I don't get much casting and reloading time in the summer but that's OK with me.
3 6 foot stand up freezers full of vacuum sealed organic veggies.
Butternut squash and leeks are the best ever.
Nothing like growing your own.

gwpercle
04-29-2021, 06:04 PM
I have a 35 x 35 garden and grow most everything.
I don't get much casting and reloading time in the summer but that's OK with me.
3 6 foot stand up freezers full of vacuum sealed organic veggies.
Butternut squash and leeks are the best ever.
Nothing like growing your own.

Want some Okra seed ?
Rancher1913 .... I don't see any Okra on your list .
It's organic Okra seed !
Gary

Winger Ed.
04-29-2021, 06:17 PM
I've got two retaining walls about 4' high and 30-odd feet long, with a lattice fence in front of them.

I usually plant a package of sunflower seeds in the space between the fence and the wall for the birds.
I couldn't find them this year.
So I planted a row of purple hull peas. A old retired Marine gave me a bunch last year and I saved a couple for seeds.

We've got some of those gourds started to put on the four ends of the fence.
They're the ones ya make bird houses out of.
On the one fence, I've got bell peppers going in the middle and a couple of tomato plants going.

Now that there is stuff coming up--- there is one old bull squirrel that is now in great danger.:bigsmyl2:

Shawlerbrook
04-29-2021, 06:21 PM
Will plant carrots, zucchini, green beans, kale, Swiss Chard, cucumbers, lettuce and tomatoes in our 30’x30’ plot.

MrWolf
04-29-2021, 09:14 PM
We did tomatoes, peppers, lettuce, and cucumbers all in big buckets on patio or in hangers, have strawberries, blueberries in our new berry patch, and planted two cherry trees next to our two mature apple trees. Protecting everything was fun when we had two straight days of freeze warnings last week.

Markopolo
04-29-2021, 09:53 PM
i just building my "Alaskan Greenhouse" made outta scraps from lumber i milled a few years back... every year I build it and it gets bigger and bigger... just starting to plant seeds for just about everything.. cant grow nuthing on the ground here due to Banana Slugs and constant rain from the rain forest.. everything most plants need get leeched out and don't like our very acidic soils. i build up the soil every year from ash and compost.....

https://youtu.be/lb_wdXf88s0

MT Gianni
04-29-2021, 09:59 PM
Well last certain frost date is June 20 generally. We push things and usually get stuff in by Memorial Day and cover what we need to. Potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, onion and garlic. Cauliflower, carrots and berries.

loveruger
04-30-2021, 12:00 AM
Ground still froze.

Scrounge
04-30-2021, 12:03 AM
New Year and a New Garden . Got some backyard planting in:
Tomatoes - Better Boy , Celebrity and Roma (BLT's and freezing some)
Gypsey Peppers (pickled )
Jalapeno Peppers (pickled)
Large Green Bell Peppers (cooking and stuffing )
Pecorino Peppers (pickled and cooking)
Yellow Squash
Cucumbers
Snap Beans ( had a good yield last year and they taste great)

I put so much okra in the freezer for cooking last year (bumper crop) that I'm not growing any okra this year , have saved seed for next year . Sunday night I fixed a nice Big Chicken , Sausage , Andouille and Okra Gumbo ... heavy on the okra too ... it was soooo gooood !
If anyone wants some seeds to plant okra ...Tall Red or Green Bush okra , just let me know ... I got plenty and it's easy to grow .
Gary

Not any more. Last garden I planted here, I figure my tomatoes cost me $300/pound. I'm afraid I'm one of those folks who have a black thumb. If I touch a plant that I want to keep alive, it dies. I'd be OK with it if I could do it intentionally, but I can't kill them when I want to do it. :(

DavidB56
04-30-2021, 12:43 AM
thats impressive.I always assumed you could just plant a full fenced garden in AK. here in N Idaho, I have a 7 foot fence to keep out deer and a few elk. the bears dont seem to bother, but my 4 dogs probably keep them away.

farmerjim
04-30-2021, 06:07 AM
My garden has been a disaster this year. I usually plant my tomatoes in the ground Feb 15 and cover the plants with Agribon ag30 This gives them frost protection down to 27 with extra heat when the sun shines. The ground was too wet to plant till March 1. The plants grew well till we got over 8 inches of rain over a weeks time. The ground became so waterlogged that it killed 3/4 of my tomatoes. I planted sweet corn and the heavy thunderstorms compacted the ground so much that I only got about 40% germination.
The rain continues with so much water that the anaerobic bacteria break down all the soil nitrogen. I just started picking some of onions that I planted ( seed ) in Sept. and transplanted in Dec. The granex 33's (vidalia) are the first followed by the red burgundy, then the 1015y Texas sweets and lastly the Candy onions. I downsized about 70 % this year because my back and now bursitis in my right hip is too painful to work more than a few hours a day. I did pick my first tomato 3 days ago.

GW try Flamingo peppers. they are a larger version of Gypsy and produce more per plant.

FISH4BUGS
04-30-2021, 07:50 AM
Want some Okra seed ?
Raccher1913 .... I don't see any Okra on your list .
It's organic Okra seed !
Gary

The good Lord made just a few errors when he created the earth....okra was one of them :)

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-30-2021, 07:58 AM
I like Okra, but only eat it raw...I don't really care for it cooked, whether is was frozen or fresh.

About 3 weeks ago, I put some cold loving seeds into the garden, most are up now.
Radish
Spinach
leaf lettuce
Cilantro
Peas
Cabbage
Beets...only a few of these up, I think it got too cold for them last week, a couple mornings it got down to 20º, which even damaged some Asparagus that was up...and seemed to stunt all the plants.

I have a flat of tomatoes and a flat of Peppers in the house, under the lights...they are coming along nicely. I'll probably be planting them mid May, depending on the weather forecast for the following week.

Markopolo
04-30-2021, 08:53 AM
The good Lord made just a few errors when he created the earth....okra was one of them :)

Amen!!!!

Markopolo
04-30-2021, 08:55 AM
thats impressive.I always assumed you could just plant a full fenced garden in AK. here in N Idaho, I have a 7 foot fence to keep out deer and a few elk. the bears dont seem to bother, but my 4 dogs probably keep them away.

its the constant rain in my part of alaska that kinda forces the greenhouse. the average temp is in the 50's in the summer so the extra warmth really helps as well.

gwpercle
04-30-2021, 12:56 PM
Not any more. Last garden I planted here, I figure my tomatoes cost me $300/pound. I'm afraid I'm one of those folks who have a black thumb. If I touch a plant that I want to keep alive, it dies. I'd be OK with it if I could do it intentionally, but I can't kill them when I want to do it. :(

Let me send you some Okra seed to grow ... nothing kills okra ... not even the "Black Thumb" .
If you can't grow Okra ... then you are for shure cursed by the Gardening Gods .
PM me a mailing address ... I'll send them ...

Have Okra - Will Send
PM Gary
Baton Rouge

gwpercle
04-30-2021, 01:01 PM

You don't get no free okra seed ...
Gary

Txcowboy52
04-30-2021, 01:10 PM
Tomatoes, onions, yellow squash, eggplant, okra, asparagus, brussel sprouts, cabbage, potatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, carrots, and lots of sweet and hot peppers!!

Scrounge
04-30-2021, 01:18 PM
Let me send you some Okra seed to grow ... nothing kills okra ... not even the "Black Thumb" .
If you can't grow Okra ... then you are for shure cursed by the Gardening Gods .
PM me a mailing address ... I'll send them ...

Have Okra - Will Send
PM Gary
Baton Rouge

Okra is ok for animal food. If I hate the animals. ;) I appreciate the offer, but I'm gonna hafta decline!

SWMBO likes it, for some strange reason, but has never asked if we could try to grow some. And she hasn't ordered any foods with okra since the younger two kids moved out. I guess I'll relay the offer to her, and see if she has other instruction for me. I'll get back to ya on that!

Bill

Butzbach
04-30-2021, 03:10 PM
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=282185&d=1619809389

3 newly built 4' x 8' beds. TOMATOES: Cherokee Purple, Homestead, Husky (cherry), Sweet 100s (cherry). SQUASH: Yellow & Zucchini. CUCUMBERS: Straight 8. PEPPERS: Jalapeno & Marconi.

gwpercle
04-30-2021, 06:47 PM
Farmerjim ,
Flamingo Pepper ... thanks for the heads up , looks like improved Gypsy pepper and should be great for pickling , cooking and ...Stuffing ! Stuffed peppers are my favorite !

The weather has been extra hard on you Farmers ...rain and freeze and all ...
Picked Tomatoes 3 days ago ... My Hat is Off to You ... You Real Farmers Amaze Me !
Gary

Gewehr-Guy
05-01-2021, 10:13 PM
Just tilled the garden, and it is plenty dry. Planted some onion sets, radishes, kohlrabi, and spinach. Maybe plant some potatoes tomorrow, I know its late.

Question, I also replanted some carrots that were in storage, is that how they will go to seed ? I would like to start saving more of my own seed, and not sure if there are any special ways to get them to set seed before stuff freezes in the fall.

Thundarstick
05-02-2021, 08:01 AM
I'm a little late to this party, but got the garden started early. Eating spring onions, spinach, and lettuce. Have egg plants, tomatoes, hot and bell peppers, red okra, and roma green beans in the ground. I've got peaches, plums, and pears on the trees. The blackberries are blooming and the chestnuts won't be far behind. It's looking like a busy summer around here!

curdog
05-02-2021, 08:23 AM
Tomatoes, peppers, bell and jalapeno, yellow squash and zucchini and okra, cucumbers. FRied okra, chicken and okra and okra gumbo is hard to beat. Lots of garlic in it...............Curdog

gwpercle
05-03-2021, 01:36 PM
Tomatoes, peppers, bell and jalapeno, yellow squash and zucchini and okra, cucumbers. FRied okra, chicken and okra and okra gumbo is hard to beat. Lots of garlic in it...............Curdog

I was wondering how the heck do you grow heat loving Okra in Illinois ... then I saw it ...
... Southern Illinois ... that explains everything !

I got the fried okra and okra Gumbo recipes down ... Tell me about your Chicken and Okra Recipe !
I don't have that one and it sounds good ... Post It !
Gary

country gent
05-03-2021, 02:36 PM
Here a garden does very well growing coon,woodchucks,rabbits,deer and other critters

curdog
05-04-2021, 07:32 AM
I dont really have a recipe but here you go. I cut up some chicken breast and brown them in a cast iron skillet with olive oil, then add some garlic,onions and bell peppers and okra and three cans of rotel tomatoes or whatever tomatoes you got.I add a little water to cook down all the veggies and season with Tonys cajun seasoning and black pepper. Cook it down long enough to get the slick off the okra. I eat it over rice and with a thin crunchy cornbread. I think it is very tasty........................Curdog Gary here you go.

Thundarstick
05-04-2021, 07:39 AM
I dont really have a recipe but here you go. I cut up some chicken breast and brown them in a cast iron skillet with olive oil, then add some garlic,onions and bell peppers and okra and three cans of rotel tomatoes or whatever tomatoes you got.I add a little water to cook down all the veggies and season with Tonys cajun seasoning and black pepper. Cook it down long enough to get the slick off the okra. I eat it over rice and with a thin crunchy cornbread. I think it is very tasty........................Curdog Gary here you go.

There ya go. Smothered okra with chicken!

Thundarstick
05-04-2021, 07:48 AM
curdog I'm going to give you a little twist to try next time.

Take your skillet and oil, this time fry the okra (no coating, just raw okra) very brown till you no longer see the slime strands, then add the tomatoes, other ingredients you listed, cooked chicken and chicken broth. I'd make it soupy and add some dark roux to thicken it up!

Just a thought.

farmerjim
05-04-2021, 07:52 AM
I don't know where you are located. I have had carrots overwinter in Montreal Canada and the ones not found and harvested did go to seed. ( carrots are a biannual ) I could harvest my carrots during the winter because the 2 feet of snow kept the ground from freezing. I am now in South Louisiana, I have had carrots lost and left in the ground go to seed the second year. I have never replanted a carrot to get seed so I am not sure, but my guess would be yes they will. They make a beautiful flower. (Queen Anne's lace the wild carrot) Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

curdog
05-04-2021, 07:57 AM
Thundarstick, Thats a very good idea I will do that next time, thanks..................Curdog

Wayne Smith
05-04-2021, 08:01 AM
Don't have a lot of room for a garden - but we have a cucumber, peppers, green beans, lettuce and spinach, and eggplants all in the ground. Have blueberries for 27 years and obviously well established and Jerusalem Artichokes, which have nothing to do with Jerusalem and are in no way relate to artichokes - they are actually a sunflower. Also sage, rosemary, mint, oregano, and three types of thyme growing.

Along with iris, day lilies, Chinese lilies, two colors of Lenten rose, Virginia bluebells, white bells, etc. Around here everybody has azaleas - Norfolk has the Azalea Festival every year.

Lloyd Smale
05-04-2021, 08:11 AM
no time this year. building a new house

bluebird66
05-04-2021, 10:18 AM
Just getting started on mine.

gwpercle
05-04-2021, 12:14 PM

Got It ! and thanks ... I'm always on the lookout for easy and good recipes and those with okra is a bonus . It's easy to grow (my freezer is loaded) but not high on people's recipe list .
I like Thundarstick's cooking suggestions , a little dark roux always adds to the taste also and the name "smothered okra with chicken".
Thanks !

Curdog , My wife is mailing your seeds today , watch for them .
Gary

curdog
05-05-2021, 09:45 AM
Thank You Gary I appreciate it and will get them planted as soon as it dries up................Curdog

memtb
05-05-2021, 10:08 AM
gwpercle, We’re a little behind you on planting times! 40 F this morning! 😉 But, will soon be planting some lettuces, mustard greens, potatoes, onions (green and sweet), a couple different beans, broccoli, corn, Bell Peppers, Egg plant, Beets, cantaloupe, zucchini, watermelon, and in about 6 weeks some tomatoes! Hoping to establish a new bed for Strawberries and Asparagus!

I’m envious of your Okra.....tried several times with no success!

I really miss the great gardening opportunities of the Zachary area.....but, I’ll take our murder/crime rate over that of the Baton Rouge any day. I just wish that my kids would get out while the “gitt’ns good”! memtb

loveruger
05-05-2021, 10:58 PM
Looking to plant collard greens any suggestions. Northern MN 90 miles from Canada.

gwpercle
05-06-2021, 03:38 PM
University of Minn. Extension Service says Collard Greens will grow in your neck-o-the-woods .
Check out their site : www.extension.umn.edu
Growing Collards and Kale in Home Gardens - UMN Extension .

Another site is : www.northerngardener.org
Growing Greens in Early Spring - Minn. State Horticultural Society .

These have directions on when , what and how to plant collard in Minnesota .

This Louisiana boy does it totally different and would give you some poor advice .
I bet FarmerJim could tell you how ... he's a real farmer ...even up North farming .
Gary

MaryB
05-07-2021, 02:00 PM
Kale is easy to grow in MN, stuff is like a weed! Never tried growing collards...

Electrod47
05-07-2021, 04:47 PM
Love Tomatoes, but hate store bought. So, summertime is plant ta'matter's time around here. Neighbors ( bless their heart) bury us in squash. peppers, cucumbers, kale, greens and Silver King or is it Queen? sweet corn. I put up a few years ago a 4' X 10' raised just for the tomatoes.
Can't wait for fried green tomatoes and thick slab tomatoe sandwichs.

gwpercle
05-09-2021, 09:03 PM
Love Tomatoes, but hate store bought. So, summertime is plant ta'matter's time around here. Neighbors ( bless their heart) bury us in squash. peppers, cucumbers, kale, greens and Silver King or is it Queen? sweet corn. I put up a few years ago a 4' X 10' raised just for the tomatoes.
Can't wait for fried green tomatoes and thick slab tomatoe sandwichs.

We lucked up on a few local grown tomatoes and had our first BLT's Friday ... I went "Whole Hog" and added some grated Extra Sharp White Cheddar Cheese to mine ...BLTC ...it were AWESOME !
Gary

SeabeeMan
05-09-2021, 09:09 PM
Got about half an acre fenced to 5', with wires at 6' at 8' to keep the deer from jumping in. Raspberries, blueberries, apple trees, asparagus, chives, and mint are the perennials. There is a trellis made out of 16' cattle panels bent into an arch, 3 of them wide, that we use for peas, cucumbers, and anything else we can train to climb. Some raised beds usually have tomatoes and peppers, and then the rows typically have onions, brussel sprouts, lettuce, beans, etc. Occasionally we've done squash but never had any luck with melons. I've tried corn and had some success, but we don't each much freezer corn and nothing I grow can compete with the "Peaches and Cream" sweet corn that grows down the road. A paper sack for $10 out of the back of a pickup is fine by me.

reloader28
05-15-2021, 12:21 PM
Going to be planting potatoes this week and whatever else seeds are going in.
I dont dare put any plants in yet. We usually wait until closer to June, although the water towers really help from frost.
We aint had any ice on the water buckets for about a week and a half now

farmerjim
05-15-2021, 12:39 PM
SeabeeMan The deer here jump my 6 foot field fence with wire at 7 ft and 8 1/2 feet. They walk up to about 2 feet from the fence then jump over. I have to have electric fence wires down both sides of each row. The only things the deer won't eat are summer squash, eggplant, and onions. Double fences ( one electric) will usually stop them, but they still try to jump them sometimes and break the electric wire when they hit the fence.

JRLesan
05-15-2021, 12:50 PM
Last year deer claimed almost all my tomatoes off 24 plants. No surrounding fence but all plants caged with field wire cages 18" around and 4' tall. Never in 35 years have I lost all the tomatoes except the ones deep inside the cages. This year a thermal scope on a .45PCB hopefully will alleviate the problem...

gwpercle
05-15-2021, 07:53 PM
SeabeeMan The deer here jump my 6 foot field fence with wire at 7 ft and 8 1/2 feet. They walk up to about 2 feet from the fence then jump over. I have to have electric fence wires down both sides of each row. The only things the deer won't eat are summer squash, eggplant, and onions. Double fences ( one electric) will usually stop them, but they still try to jump them sometimes and break the electric wire when they hit the fence.

Will the deer eat Okra ? ... Not too many or too much seem to eat Okra ... a few Cajuns some Creole's and that's about it . No animals around my city garden eat it ... the coons , possums and squirrels avoid it like the plague .
Gary

tja6435
05-16-2021, 11:00 AM
we are only doing a small garden this year, about 2 acres. got the sweet corn planted and about 150 pounds of potatoes. everything else is stil in the greenhouse as its to cold to get it in the ground just yet. got 450 cabbage plants, 300 broccoli, 150 cauliflower, 10 zukinis, 50 beans, 50 turnips, 100 beets, 150 tomatoes, 150 peppers, and probably some more that I can not remember.

Do you have water for all of that or are you able to dry land some/all? I have to irrigate everything down here