PDA

View Full Version : "Thunder Ranch" 45acp

218bee
12-31-2008, 10:49 PM
Saw one of these for sale used, still pricey and was wondering if anyone here has played with one. I've been wanting a 45 acp wheelgun (would use auto rim cases) to play with. I would probably hold out for an "older" Smith as I just like the way they were built and finished years ago compared to the newer ones, and I seem to remember hearing/reading somewhere that the throats or bore on some of the newer ones were out of whack for a while but am not sure.
Has anyone played with one of these especially with cast boolits?? What were the results??

billyb
01-01-2009, 02:50 AM
I have one. I have shot quite a bit of cast in it. Very little paper work, mostly at close range 20-25 feet. I use the load that i use in my 1911's. Mostley shoot the steel plates on our action pistol range. Takes the eight inch plates down right smart like.Same range as above. I use 230rn,200swc,& the rcbs 45-230-cm in it. Il i like the gun, my son says it has a very cool factor and after i am gone it's his.What are they asking for the gun? Bill

Bret4207
01-01-2009, 07:38 AM
I want one.

Lloyd Smale
01-01-2009, 09:59 AM
if you can afford it buy it! you wont regret it.

218bee
01-01-2009, 10:55 AM
If I remember they want around $700 for it. It does have a cylinder ring (drag mark) so its been used. I didn't handle it. I'm thinking brand new was only a hundred or two more no? It also has the Thunder Ranch case/bag.

Thumbcocker
01-01-2009, 01:10 PM
DANGER WILL ROBINSON! A friend of mine who is a LEO and can carry other than dept. issue bought one. It has been a turd. Back to the factory becaue it would gour 8" at 25 yards with factory hard ball. Point of impact at 25 yards was 12" low. Filing down the front sight finally got groups up into the black but still not very accurate. The skinny grips shift around in your hand. We have tried 452460's (which usually shoot well in any .45) and H&G swc's with other laods and still could not buy a group. In short a great idea that did not execute well. He has reached the point where he no longer has confidence in the gun and his hsooting is suffering.

I have heard that S&W changed their rifleing but I do not know if that is true.

Save your money and get an model of 1989 or an acp mountain gun or a us firearms with an acp cylinder.

FN in MT
01-01-2009, 01:31 PM
Frankly I'd buy an older 25-2's before I'd buy one of the overpriced "Thunder Ranch" guns. Not only were they overpriced but I felt the LOGO on the side was hideous and nothing more than an ADVERTISEMENT for TR. Then again...S&W lost me as a Customer several years ago when they went with the LOCK.

FN in MT