PDA

View Full Version : 454 Taurus Raging Bull: results with opened throats

hornady308
04-27-2021, 06:37 PM
I've had a 6.5" Raging Bull for several years now, but never gotten the kind of accuracy from it that I always expected. It was impossible for bullets sized .454" to fit into the cylinder when using Casull brass. I could load it just fine in Colt brass, but that sort of defeated the purpose of getting a 454 Cas. Anyway, I sent the cylinder to DougGuy (vendor sponsor) and he opened all the throats to .454 so that I can now load correctly sized bullets in Casull brass. I took this to the range today along with two loads using the fine NOE 454-265-FN. These loads used 18gr and 20gr of Blue Dot with standard small rifle primers. I didn't chrono these loads since I just wanted to test for accuracy. The results are very promising and the pistol is much more accurate than it used to be. I fired 5 rounds of the 18gr load at 100 yards before I started adjusting the scope and ended up with a 3.5" group. I then fired 4 rounds of the 20gr load, over-adjusted the scope, and fired the last 3 rounds into 1.4". This is the kind of accuracy I had hoped for in the first place (actually a little better than I hoped for). My thanks to DougGuy for his great work!

rintinglen
04-27-2021, 06:45 PM
I am impressed, but not surprised. Doug does great work.

lar45
04-27-2021, 07:06 PM
Mine will print 3 in a cloverleaf at 50yds, but the other two open the groups to 1.5".
I usually size my bullets to .452" for the raging bull

minus1gun
04-27-2021, 10:56 PM
Another thumbs up for DougGuy. I just got my Ruger single six bisley .32 H&R magnum's cylinder back in the mail today. The throats were too tight for even a jacketed bullet, but now are correct for both jacketed and cast. I will take it out in a couple of days, knowing that if the groups are not good, it is my fault. Thanks, Doug.

memtb
04-29-2021, 10:03 AM
hornady308, That’s pretty impressive. My groups will never match yours, as I’m using a 3 moa red dot sight. But, my last 3, 4 shot groups went under 3.5” @ 100 yards.....the best being 2 5/16”.

I’ll soon be sending my cylinder from my S&W 460 XVR to Doug to get “trued-up”! I’m experiencing extraction issues at low pressures as well as one “charge hole” that throws a wide shot every time! Hopefully, Doug will get all tolerances as even as possible, and determine and correct the “charge hole” flyer issue! If not......I guess that I will mark that one, and make certain it’s #5 shot in the line-up! memtb