PDA

View Full Version : lube contamination

porthos
04-27-2021, 04:21 PM
might be a silly question; but is there any chance of bullet lube contaminating the powder when the powder rest against the bullet base. such as tumble lube.

zarrinvz24
04-27-2021, 04:25 PM
Yes it’s possible, but fairly unlikely.

jim147
04-27-2021, 05:05 PM
Let it dry before loading. I've had stuff loaded for years with alox. Now some lubes can melt where stored at high temps.

mehavey
04-29-2021, 12:21 AM
Properly applied (thiiiiiin, and dried)......
No.

dahermit
04-29-2021, 10:28 AM
I have observed that with very light loads (2.9 grains under a 130 grain bullet) in .38 Special, RAL 50 15 Caroline Blue powder coat will cause squib loads if the loaded cartridges are allowed to sit bullet-down. Due to that fact, I have taken to placing the loaded cartridges nose-down in the cartridge boxes, but then store the loaded cartridge boxes upside down so the power sits on the primer end of the cartridges until I get around to firing them. I do not know if there is any other combination of powders, loadings and powder coatings that would also cause squibs.

Addendum: After re-reading my post I noticed that I did not specify Titegroup powder. I have no first hand knowledge if other powders (Bullseye, etc.), in very light loads and Caroline Blue powder coat would cause squibs.

lightman
04-29-2021, 11:00 AM
I would say that its possible but unlikely. If you stored them in an environment of high heat it would be more likely.