PDA

View Full Version : Pocket Knives - How many of y’all still carry one?

JoeJames
04-27-2021, 10:42 AM
I was up at my cousin’s a couple of Sundays ago, sipping on a Guinness and the subject of pocket knives came up. My cousin is about 20 years younger and he stays more aware of things than I do. He said, “How many folks that you know carry a pocket knife?” I said I figured most all did. He said, “Ask around and see how many still do”. Cousin said if you will check you will find that very few do. And he said that when he was in school they were forbidden to carry any knives including pocket knives. I thought he was kidding, but maybe he was right, and perhaps I was like Rip Van Winkle and had been asleep for 30 years. I carry a 3" AG Russell featherlite lockblade and a small Swiss Army knife. What do y’all say?

slim1836
04-27-2021, 10:50 AM
I've got a shoe box full of knives and carry a small 3 blade Case XX every day.

Slim

bakerjw
04-27-2021, 10:51 AM
Nope. Don't carry one.

blackthorn
04-27-2021, 10:52 AM
I have carried a pocket knife since I was 8 years old (now I'm 82) and continue to do so. I carry a Utica, 3 blade knife daily and a Puma lock blade when I am camping, hunting or up at my cabin. I would be lost without my knife! I have accumulated many knives that I use as the mood strikes me.

memtb
04-27-2021, 10:54 AM
I’ll repeat what my Dad told a man about 60 years ago that he was working with, “I can’t believe a grown man doesn’t carry a knife”! I’ve carried one for as long as I can remember. Hell, even my wife carries a pocket knife.....though, it’s carried in her purse! :grin: memtb

rockrat
04-27-2021, 10:58 AM
Been carrying one for about 60 years. Even all thru high school. Exceptions are gov't offices (nowadays--used to be different) and airlines (also different now).

dk17hmr
04-27-2021, 11:00 AM
I'm 34 and work in the construction trades, I'm always surprised how few people have a pocket knife. I carry a spiderco that I keep shaving sharp. What also surprises me is of the people that carry a knife most are barely sharper than a butter knife.

tai95
04-27-2021, 11:11 AM
I always have at least one knife on me. I have a SOG key knife on my key chain that always gets me in trouble for forgetting about it and trying to go through a security checkpoint. My son and daughter if they don't have a knife on them, they at least have one in their vehicle. I was young when I was given my first pocket knife by my dad. The only rule he gave me was if I cut myself he would take it away. I still have the scar on my thumb from that knife.

LUCKYDAWG13
04-27-2021, 11:14 AM
Always carry a pocket knife

OS OK
04-27-2021, 11:18 AM
Yup...I carry everyday since about 1958 & it stays sharp.

zarrinvz24
04-27-2021, 11:20 AM
I've been carrying a pocket knife every day for the 17 years I've been on active duty. I would say in the military community it is uncommon to not have a pocketknife. I've carried benchmade, Emerson and spiderco blades, as well as the trusty Kabar. A good Marine always has a knife.

Omega
04-27-2021, 11:22 AM
I have carried a knife for over 3 decades, currently carrying a Benchmade auto and a Gerber multitool.

Thundarstick
04-27-2021, 11:30 AM
I usually carry 2 or 3!

robg
04-27-2021, 11:47 AM
carried a knife since i was 10 years old .as laws have changed ive gone from fixed blade to lock knives ,now i use a bird tern non locking folder.economy model by spiderco.

nvbirdman
04-27-2021, 11:50 AM
I always carry one.

Conditor22
04-27-2021, 11:58 AM
never leave home without at least a swiss army knife and add a Gerber multi-tool to my belt when I go shooting.

Bobbers
04-27-2021, 12:02 PM
I have carried a pocket knife long then I can remember. When I go somewhere I can not have one I feel slightly of when I reach in to my pocket for change or keys and it is not there.

Joe504
04-27-2021, 12:08 PM
I'm 50, worked the last 20 years or so in an office. I never got into the habit of carrying a knife much, but always have one handy when I spend time outdoors.

It's pretty uncommon for people who live and work in a city to carry one. Most offices actually have policies against carrying knives.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jakharath
04-27-2021, 12:15 PM
I carry a Benchmade Osborn and a Leatherman PST every day. Got the kids folding Buck knives for Christmas year before last when they were 6 and 8.

Mal Paso
04-27-2021, 12:29 PM
I carry 3. A Gerber folding clip knife to slay cardboard and packaging. A Swiss Army with scissors and screwdrivers and a 2.5" folder with a wicked edge. I also carry a Coast LED miniature flashlight in a 9mm mag pouch. 2 knives and the flashlight are visible so I guess that's open carry. LOL

ButchC
04-27-2021, 12:30 PM
I suspect you might get a bias polling this group. I carry one wherever I'm legal doing so. I started out with Swiss Army back in elementary days and would ritually rotate it out of my pocket every Sunday night since I fall into that "no weapons in school" age group (not even cap guns, I checked in kindergarten). Through the years I've gone from CRKT and Emerson folders to Leatherman and Swiss Army with a Mercator and now Civivi scattered in there depending on where I'm spending my time and what I'm doing.

ryanmattes
04-27-2021, 12:34 PM
I carry a benchmade these days. When I used to have to dress for the office I carried a tiny Gerber 1.5", just because it was tiny and light. I've carried a pocket knife since my grandparents gave me an old timer when I was about 8.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Walks
04-27-2021, 12:41 PM
I've carried a Swiss Army Knife since Jr. High,
a Boy Scout knife before that and a Buck in the Service. Now a Buck Gentleman.
Feel sorta naked without one in each pocket.
Going into a Courthouse or getting on a Air-Liner, I feel out of balance.

Burnt Fingers
04-27-2021, 12:42 PM
Unless prohibited I always carry a knife.

Currently it's a Lightning OTF model. For ~$33 they are a bargain.

Being able to open and close with one hand is the best thing since buttered bread.

pworley1
04-27-2021, 12:43 PM
If I have my pants on I have a knife. It has been that way for over 60 years.

CoolHandMoss
04-27-2021, 12:53 PM
Gotta have a left hand weapon. When I came of age and started carrying a gun I moved my knife to the left side. Spyderco. Always a spyderco with a zip tie.

TyGuy
04-27-2021, 12:58 PM
Years ago I had an awful dream that resulted in my carrying of a blade at (almost) all times. I am in my early-mid 30s and I can’t think of any of my friends around my age that carry a knife. Many carry a pistol but they all know that when the need for a sharp knife arises to ask me. I’m very popular around the Christmas tree... :-D

I currently clip a Kershaw into my pocket every morning but I’m not brand picky. I like the spring loaded quick opening blade and the low profile rubberized grips. Most of my jeans are frayed in the corner of the right front pocket.

I’m now of the opinion that everyone should have a knife on them.

EMC45
04-27-2021, 01:11 PM
Always carry a knife, unless prohibited (wanded). I have had pocket knives since I was 6 years old and the stupid scars to prove indiscretion.

Right now I have a Spyderco Endura 50/50 Clipit in my pocket, a Leatherman SuperTool 200 on my belt and a Victorinox "Executive" in my front pocket. I use the Leatherman for work stuff (still razor sharp) and the Swiss knife for smaller stuff like digging around my nails (I put the "MAN" in manicure). The Spyderco is shaving sharp as well.

I too am shocked by how many folks don't carry knives. I've been asked many times through the years "hey man can I use your knife?" My first response if "where's yours?" and then "What are you wanting to do with it?" I have had people tell me they wanted to pry something or loosen a screw....I told them to get a pry bar or a screw driver. A knife is the most expensive and innaffective screwdriver or pry bar you'll ever use.

Rizzo
04-27-2021, 01:33 PM
I carry a folding knife in my pocket when I go out.
There are so many situations that have come up that I was glad I do.

From cutting cord to tie things in my pickup, opening heavy taped packages, to just cleaning my fingernails.
Worst case scenario would be for defense.

Dunross
04-27-2021, 01:35 PM
If you see me outside of my home without a knife it's because I forgot to put my trousers on.

Der Gebirgsjager
04-27-2021, 02:02 PM
Yup! Every day. As has been said, like putting my pants on. As has also been said, got a shoebox full of them. But just one favorite, a 4" closed Boker trapper....made in China! Thought it wouldn't live up to the brand name, but it has. I've carried it for about 8 years now in my back pocket. You know how folks that use Skoal get a visible worn circle in the back pocket of their Levi's? Mine all have the outline of the Boker. A little large for some jobs, a little small for some jobs, but a happy compromise. The only thing I sometimes wish I had is a can opener/bottle opener blade like a Boy Scout knife, but I solved that by having a military P-38 on my keychain.

DG

BigAlofPa.
04-27-2021, 02:11 PM
I have always carried a swiss army knife.

MrWolf
04-27-2021, 02:13 PM
Yup. Current is a Buck gf got me. Has a convenient tiny ring on it and hang it next to my keys and sunglasses.

FISH4BUGS
04-27-2021, 02:21 PM
Gosh....how can people NOT carry even a small pocket knife?
I have a Gerber 2" folding knife that feel naked without.
Getting dressed in the morning is the checklist - keys, glasses, knife, wallet, fountain pen.

redneck1
04-27-2021, 02:23 PM
I rarely carry one around the house or shop . but if I'm going out anywhere I have a small tree brand Barlow style knife I stick in my pocket .

Winger Ed.
04-27-2021, 02:31 PM
I've got a few really nice ones, but I carry one of those folding ones that has a changeable/replaceable blade.

I use it all the time, and don't want to ding up the blade on the good ones.

VariableRecall
04-27-2021, 02:41 PM
It may just be me in the younger generation where you aren't allowed to carry anything potentially dangerous on your person in your K thru 12, but I don't usually carry a knife on me most of the time. I have one of those Leatherman TREAD tool bracelets that has a small stitch cutter that fulfills most needs of something sharp in my everyday life. The TREAD is usually more novelty fashion item than tool most of the time, but it can come in handy on occasion. However, when I'm doing handy things, I usually take my Gerber Suspension multi-tool with me.

There have been plenty of times where I had needed something easy to grab and sharp for general utility, but when that happens it's only a little inconvenient when it's not around. Usually it boils down to, "I'll just grab my multitool and get it done".

Moonie
04-27-2021, 02:50 PM
I'm 53, I'm in the "If I have my pants on I'm carrying a knife" crowd. I have several I rotate between, my current one I carry every day is a Benchmade Super Freek in M4 steel sharpened razor sharp.

scattershot
04-27-2021, 03:20 PM
Yep. I’m 74, and have carried a pocketknife every day since I was about six. If I have a pocket, there’s a knife in it.

JoeJames
04-27-2021, 03:37 PM
Interesting, my cousin graduated from high school in about 1989, from a small school at the edge of the Ozarks in Arkansas. He said pocket knives were forbidden, but at the time this must have been observed more in the abeyance, because once his coach asked if any of them had a pocketknife because he needed one, and all raised their hands. I got out of high school in 1969 and at that time I had not idea at all that a pocketknife might conceivably ever be considered a weapon. Shoot, about half the pickups in the school parking lot had rifles or shotguns in their gun racks. So from the posts in this thread it looks as though the divide is kind of around age 50 or so, when it appears most school; even rural schools in Arkansas made that decision; some more serious than others. Just a trend I was certainly unaware of until he brought it up.

DougGuy
04-27-2021, 03:42 PM
I carry one of those stainless S&W folders from Auto Zone, 4" blade, belt/pocket clip, best $9 knife you will EVER use! I got a few of them in case of loss or damage, they won't make those forever so I stocked up on a few to keep for future use.

S&W CK70

Electrod47
04-27-2021, 04:07 PM
Cold Steel Ti-Lite Linerlock Knife clipped in my carhart pants tool pocket and a spiderco 3" in my front pocket when in town.
When in the woods I usually have a 110 Buck Knife on the belt. ( I live in the woods)
In the Army in my younger days as a gunner in the M60A1 I carried the Leatherman of that era, a Electricians knife by Barlow that had a screwdriver blade with wire stripping capability and a good fat straight edge. You can't believe what a man could take apart with that thing. I still have it.

James Wisner
04-27-2021, 04:07 PM
I carry two knifes whenever I can.
A Kershaw # 4500 lever lock, and a Gerber LST
JW

Armorer77
04-27-2021, 04:10 PM
At 62 yrs , I still carry the govt. issue TL folder . Ed

curdog
04-27-2021, 04:27 PM
I carry a small swiss army and a benchmade assisted open................Curdog

CastingFool
04-27-2021, 05:13 PM
At 62 yrs , I still carry the govt. issue TL folder . Ed
Almost wore one out as a jury crew chief. Got a second one, but haven't used much.

gwrench
04-27-2021, 05:17 PM
I doubt that I represent most of the population but I'd feel naked without a good knife.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8YyDyap7wI

sigep1764
04-27-2021, 05:19 PM
I carry a Boker AK-74 button opener every day. When I fly to Michigan for Christmas, my brother gave me his to carry since knives on a plane are a no no. I loved it and he gifted me one on my birthday. His is black and mine is red. Really durable little knife. The kids that work for me all think its a weapon until they discover how easy it is break down boxes, open bags/packages, etc. Then they get idea that its simply an everyday tool.

CastingFool
04-27-2021, 05:20 PM
Been carrying a pocket knife, before I went in the service (1971) , sometimes, I carried two of them. I have a Buck 110 that I used used to field dress every deer I've killed, except one. That one, I used a small Buck 444, which is my daily carry knife

Pressman
04-27-2021, 05:23 PM
Forty years ago I attended a winter warfare course in Norway with the Norwegian army. They politely explained that a soldier without a knife was totally worthless and may a well stay home. They were all carrying "Lap" knives with a 10 inch blade. I had a M-8 fighting knife as it looked like a bayonet so the "brass" never bothered me.
After that education I took carrying a knife as a personal responsibility. Working in an office environment I kept a GT Knives, auto with a Tanto blade in my pocket. Out side I carry a fixed blade. Knock on wood, I have never been stopped or hassled about the very visible knife on my right hip. A 5inch blade is correct for doing anything I may ever need a knife for.

Ken

gwpercle
04-27-2021, 05:41 PM
I always have and always will .

One of my Dad's little "life rules" were you didn't leave the house without a clean handkerchief and a pocket knife . He made sure I had one by passing down his worn Case knife when he bought a new one .

He taught me how to sharpen it with a oilstone and how to whittle things out of wood .
When I depart this Earth I'm going to have a clean Handkerchief in one pocket and a Case pocket knife in the other .

Thanks Dad,
Gary

tai95
04-27-2021, 05:55 PM
Interesting, my cousin graduated from high school in about 1989, from a small school at the edge of the Ozarks in Arkansas. He said pocket knives were forbidden, but at the time this must have been observed more in the abeyance, because once his coach asked if any of them had a pocketknife because he needed one, and all raised their hands. I got out of high school in 1969 and at that time I had not idea at all that a pocketknife might conceivably ever be considered a weapon. Shoot, about half the pickups in the school parking lot had rifles or shotguns in their gun racks. So from the posts in this thread it looks as though the divide is kind of around age 50 or so, when it appears most school; even rural schools in Arkansas made that decision; some more serious than others. Just a trend I was certainly unaware of until he brought it up.

I graduated after your cousin. In the sticks of NY we were allowed the first day of deer season off as a legal absence. The rest of deer season we would miss first period and come from the woods to school. Our guns were either locked in the car or our lockers. Then Columbine happened and that all changed. I had a kid working for me who was almost arrested because they found a 12ga shell in his trunk during auto shop class.

Within the past few years though my old school started a trap league, so they are once again at least teaching kids some sort of gun education.

bruce drake
04-27-2021, 06:02 PM
I've been carrying a Western brand model 062 hunter knife for nearly 30 years. It has brown delrin scales and has a long narrow clip blade that I find perfect for filleting fish and a standard clip blade that I use for general work. Each blade is 3.5" in length so I make a point of not carrying it when I travel by air or if I'm wearing dress clothes but if I'm in jeans, its on my belt.
(This photo is an almost exact copy of mine except my bolsters aren't brass but are nickel silver.)
Bruce

fiberoptik
04-27-2021, 06:03 PM
I always have and always will .

One of my Dad's little "life rules" were you didn't leave the house without a clean handkerchief and a pocket knife . He made sure I had one by passing down his worn Case knife when he bought a new one .

He taught me how to sharpen it with a oilstone and how to whittle things out of wood .
When I depart this Earth I'm going to have a clean Handkerchief in one pocket and a Case pocket knife in the other .

Thanks Dad,
Gary

Yuppers, gramps rules— 4 things: got on clean undies? Got a hanky? Got your pocketknife on you? Did you go to the bathroom?
Now I usually have 3 knives on me.
Carried a few in the Corps as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

budman5
04-27-2021, 06:13 PM
I’m not as hardcore as most of you.
I’ve only been carrying a pocket knife for 58 years.

Texas by God
04-27-2021, 06:18 PM
I always have, and I always will.Because every day you might have to cut something !https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210427/fa845acd98719463e2499de93ea6ecf2.jpg

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

beezapilot
04-27-2021, 06:22 PM
Swiss Army in my pocket, Buck on my belt.

Here is my Swiss Army knife story....

Good story.

I too carry a Swiss Army knife. Had the same one for over 30 years. About ten years ago one of the scales came off, but they are covered by a lifetime warranty- so I sent it in.

Gosh came back sharpened and new springs and new scales and.. just a great job!

When it left it was configured for a toothpick and a set of tweezers, when it came back it had the toothpick (new) tweezers (new) and an odd little marlinspike that was fitted in the handle as well.

You wouldn't think that a little marlinspike would be so handy. Knot in your shoelaces? Mini-pry bar? Used it for a multitude of things!

One day I decided to sharpen it. Pointy is better than dull, right?

As soon as it kissed the emery wheel it exploded!

Blue goo every where.

Wasn't a marlinspike.

It was a pen.

panhed65
04-27-2021, 06:23 PM
I have been carrying 1 or 2 pocket knives since grade school, am 72 now. when I was in school, nearly every boy had at least 1 knife. we also could bring a gun to school, and put it in our locker so we could hunt after school. times change, and not for the better.
Barry

375RUGER
04-27-2021, 06:31 PM
Always have at least 2 on me. One is a bench made that stays sharp and ready to cut flesh, the other is the go-to for cardboard and such. I might have 5 out in the truck right now, pocket knives and fixed blades. Knives are like guns to me, I'm never very far away from either, and never far away from a few or several.

rking22
04-27-2021, 06:57 PM
Yep, always have a pocket knife. If I got pants on there’s a knife in the pocket. Worked for 30+ years for a large company, lately they said no personal knives”you might cut yourself”. I ignored the idiots and continued carrying and using my knife as always. Never a word said. Might be anything from a fixed blade Barkriver to a German stockman or canoe but there will always be a knife on my person. Been that way for 50 years, don’t intend to change it either.

Gtrubicon
04-27-2021, 07:17 PM
I carry a knife ever day

TimD
04-27-2021, 07:41 PM
I carried a case folder as a boy on the farm.
Always had a Buck on my belt in the service, still have it and several marlin spikes.
A buddy gave me a CRKT which is great for cutting the wrap off hay bales and other chores. I liked it so much I now have several around the house and in the shop.
I always have a small folder in my pocket, my favorite is a Kershaw Chive.

My son does the same.

Handloader109
04-27-2021, 07:44 PM
I always have a knife in my pocket. I've about a half dozen that rattle around. But one is in my pocket all the time. My last job had a prohibition on knives, even went to the extent of only allowing us to purchase safety box cutters, one of most worthless inventions ever. My manager gave me a look and fussed at me when i popped open my knife to open a box. I totally ignored him.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Adk Mike
04-27-2021, 07:57 PM
3 blade medium Case Stockman for me . Sometimes in hot weather a clip n
Knife. Never ever without a knife. That would seem foolish.

jlm223
04-27-2021, 07:58 PM
Always, have one for everyday carry, work, and hunting.

xs11jack
04-27-2021, 08:12 PM
My current carry is a Old Timer, it is very handy but a bit hard to keep sharp. Would like something with a blade that holds the edge longer but that costs money that I don't have. I have had knives for about 60 years now. I also have a Leatherman I bought about 35 years ago. Great for everything.
Old Jack

sharps4590
04-27-2021, 08:26 PM
Permanent accessory. If it isn't allowed, I don't go there, period or, consider that "what they don't know won't hurt them.". I'm not a criminal and never have been a criminal.

Got in the habit about 8 yrs. old on the farm carrying a 3 blade stockman, still do. Dad gave it to me and I don't remember what kind it was. That was 60 years ago. I expect around here most carry a pocket knife of some sort.

Minerat
04-27-2021, 08:30 PM
3 for me, a Remington upland folding knife, a Spiderco clip knife and a little Swiss army to trimming nails. All the time since age 8 except where they make me leave them in the car. Even in suit pants to weddings and funerals. I insist they be carried in my office:smile: so we have something to play Mumblety-peg with.

GhostHawk
04-27-2021, 09:23 PM
https://www.budk.com/Boot-Hill-Razor-Pocket-Knife-Damascus-Steel-Blade--46159

This is my current EDC. I love the blade, love the damascus look, dislike that the clip is on the wrong end and is not easy to move.

But it sharpens up VERY nice.
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse1.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3Fid%3DOIP. zFB1QI3fut1wsE7Zmdt3wgHaHa%26pid%3DApi%26h%3D160&f=1

Slahp
04-27-2021, 09:55 PM
I have carried a knife for about 50 years, if I have a pair of pants on I have one in my pocket. I cant believe the young people at work that cant even open a box without asking for one. My current knife is a Kershaw Cryo ll.

Pete44mag
04-27-2021, 09:57 PM
My Dad gave me a Buck lock back in 1967 for Christmas when I was 12 years old. I have carried the same knife for 54 years where legal, and sometimes not. Will pass it down to my son. Pretty beat up but still works fine.

Hossfly
04-27-2021, 10:15 PM
Buck 110, and Case always.

nicky4968
04-27-2021, 10:35 PM
I carry two. One is small. The other is smaller.

rbuck351
04-27-2021, 11:17 PM
Been carrying one since about 1954. Used several different knives until about 1980. I worked on the north slope in Ak and found a Swiss Army tinker in a washing machine at the camp where I was staying. I liked it so much I haven't been without one except for the last two years as a correctional officer. An officer use a pocket knife to protect himself against some inmates and admin came down hard on the rule about no knives at work. I didn't carry at work for the last two years but other than that I don't get up in the morning without what I call my Swiss army tool kit. When I fly commercial I put my knife in my checked bag as I will need it when I get where I'm going. Don't know how folks get by without one.

winshooter
04-28-2021, 12:08 AM
Got my first one around 1955 for Christmas from my dad. Been carrying pretty much ever since. I was in the Navy for 38 years and either had one on my belt or in my pocket, sometimes both. I remember when you could carry when flying. Right now I have a Benchmade on my belt. I'll keep carrying thank you.

WinchesterM1
04-28-2021, 12:12 AM
I am a bench made guy, I just got this crooked river after retiring another bench made from 12 good years of use

I’ve carried a knife DAILY for 15 years, if I forget my phone at the house I won’t care, but if I forget my pocket knife I’ll turn around and go back

granville_it
04-28-2021, 12:39 AM
I like "Opinel", S/S.

Otherwise, I use a "Case XX" three bladed knife.

Mark

WestKentucky
04-28-2021, 12:40 AM
In high school the teachers would occasionally borrow mine. Now, I carry a smaller and lighter knife but I never go without one. Generally a CaseXX peanut. I have 2 that I rotate between. One is red jigged bone, the other is a motor oil color smooth bone. I found the smooth one in a parking lot at work and it was never claimed. In the car are more serious implements.

tigweldit
04-28-2021, 12:43 AM
Carried one since 9 or 10 years old. Still carry one today, 60 years later. I've got a collection of about a hundred or two, so I can throw a different knife in my pocket as the spirit moves me. Usually a 3" two blade Case with razor edge.

gbrown
04-28-2021, 01:18 AM
I've usually had one all my life. A few years, didn't. Got one in my pocket right now. A cheap Amazon buy. But, it holds an edge, one hand knife. I have a ton of pocket knives, but this one is what I prefer. Always want to have one close by. Handy stuff.

ryanmattes
04-28-2021, 02:06 AM

Nice! Haven't seen that one. Mine's like yours but more utilitarian. And it's got an assist, so you can open it easily with one hand.

I went in to buy a knife, and the guy kept trying to sell me fancy **** with window breakers and seat belt cutters, and all kinds of cutouts and different finishes. I said "Look, I don't care about any of that crap. I need it to be light, not collect dust and lint from my pocket, and cut whatever the hell I put it to."

This one fit the bill. But I have to admit, the wood is nicer than the plastic.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210428/556df02b4809f2ea0281c7a7b5a85319.jpg

David2011
04-28-2021, 02:42 AM
It’s a tool that I use far too often to be without it. Unfortunately the stainless steel blade on the Buck that I carry constantly is difficult to sharpen. I have no problem sharpening kitchen knives, chisels and plane irons very sharp. For years I carried an Old Timer with carbon steel blades. It was fairly easy to get shaving sharp but the blades are thinner than I want for workshop use.

Before pocket knives were prohibited at work a co-worker asked to borrow my knife. He started to use it to pry something and I stopped him. He was very offended (as was I) and was a real jerk when I offered him a screwdriver.

2A-Jay
04-28-2021, 03:17 AM
I have a few Oldtimers and a small 3 blade Buck Pocket knife. At least one is in my jeans pocket at all times.

Lloyd Smale
04-28-2021, 04:15 AM
used to allways carry one. But anymore im at home most of the time and got out of the habit.

NC_JEFF
04-28-2021, 06:23 AM
Still carry mine everyday

Burnt Fingers
04-28-2021, 09:28 AM
Back when I was working in the USPS we weren't supposed to have a knife. But whenever one was needed everyone came to me. I was carrying a Benchmade Bedlam, BIG knife.

Nothing was ever said.

I'd still carry it but those Benchmade belt clips are made from mild steel and bend way to easy. I've also got an HK auto from when Benchmade built them and it has the same belt clip problem.

gwpercle
04-28-2021, 09:57 AM
Yuppers, gramps rules— 4 things: got on clean undies? Got a hanky? Got your pocketknife on you? Did you go to the bathroom?
Now I usually have 3 knives on me.
Carried a few in the Corps as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got them Clean Undies ?

For some reason my old man didn't have a stance on underwear ... it may have been optional ... I never asked !
Gary

Echo
04-28-2021, 12:51 PM
I carry a little Swiss Army job - blade, scissors, screwdriver/rasp, and more...

TimD
04-28-2021, 01:29 PM
Got my first one around 1955 for Christmas from my dad. Been carrying pretty much ever since. I was in the Navy for 38 years and either had one on my belt or in my pocket, sometimes both. I remember when you could carry when flying. Right now I have a Benchmade on my belt. I'll keep carrying thank you.

I used to fly with this all the time. The gate gal asked me about it, opened both blade and spike, held it aloft and stated "Look what he wants to bring on the plane!" Funny thing was she made me put it in my seabag, which I carried on the plane.

Iron369
04-28-2021, 03:40 PM
I carry these two every day and use the bm pretty much daily. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210428/b3dc0345d392c9bb190370cfda26b071.jpg

WinchesterM1
04-28-2021, 04:20 PM
Nice! Haven't seen that one. Mine's like yours but more utilitarian. And it's got an assist, so you can open it easily with one hand.

I went in to buy a knife, and the guy kept trying to sell me fancy **** with window breakers and seat belt cutters, and all kinds of cutouts and different finishes. I said "Look, I don't care about any of that crap. I need it to be light, not collect dust and lint from my pocket, and cut whatever the hell I put it to."

This one fit the bill. But I have to admit, the wood is nicer than the plastic.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210428/556df02b4809f2ea0281c7a7b5a85319.jpg

Yeah I am a huge bench made fan!! I love them I have a barrage not the mini. I think I’m up to 13-14 benchmades now. I also use them for my hunting knives the high country or the high canyon... I can never remember

Geezer in NH
04-28-2021, 04:35 PM
I carry two every day. First a small Case Congress folder with 3 small blades goes in my front pocket with my money clip and key set and a Kershaw automatic with clip in my rear pocket. Unlike the BM the Kershaw's spring is very strong and does not bend on its own.

The Kershaw is my work knife for every use around the farm, house and wherever I am. The case takes care of the fine needs to small for the other.

Jim22
04-28-2021, 04:49 PM
I guess after reading the other's comments I have to say I carry three. I have a small spring-assisted Kershaw that clips on my pocket. I have a small Swiss Army knife with a corkscrew, and an old first generation Leatherman. I have replaced the pouch for the Leatherman many times. Last time I built a proper one with cowhide and rivets. I have stories about the Leatherman. I'm not sure I can get the knife blade unfolded on it but what I use most is the pliers. I saved the life of a whitetail fawn that was stuck in a wire fence. Its mom clearred it fine but not the baby. I had to cut just two wires.

bimus
04-28-2021, 05:16 PM
Growing up all the lumber yards and hardware stores had sharping stones holders set out on the counters for the customers to use .

Uncle R.
04-28-2021, 05:57 PM
I have a three blade USA made Uncle Henry that I've carried for decades. I just looked at the logo - it's an 897 UH. It belongs in my trouser pocket, I just don't feel right if it isn't there.

When out in the woods camping, hunting, or just walking I like to carry something a little more substantial. I have a Buck folding hunter with a plastic handle that weighs almost nothing but locks open and holds a wicked sharp edge. I like it a lot, but it's pretty big for city carry.

I'm an old Boy Scout, and the scouting ways must have been burned in pretty deep. I still think a man should have a knife and fire with him pretty much at all times.

Be Prepared.

Uncle R.

bedbugbilly
04-28-2021, 06:14 PM
I have been carrying a pocket for 60 years - first one was a Cub Scout knife - back when just about every boy carried a pocket knife - even to school. I currently carry a Rough Rider Sowbelly Stockman pocket knife - I really like the 3 bladed knife and easy to keep honed razor sharp. Probably not a day goes by that I don't pull it out and use it for some task.

Markopolo
04-28-2021, 06:24 PM
I have carried a Leatherman of some type for almost 40ish years. I carry the 300 super tool for the last 10. before the multi tool, I was a Case guy

ruger1980
04-28-2021, 08:16 PM
I have on and off for most of my life. If not on me in my car or service truck. I do seem to loose the expensive ones I buy so I keep to the budget minded ones...LOL.
I usually have the small one at the top in my watch pocket and sometimes carry one of the other 2.

MstrEddy
04-28-2021, 08:47 PM
Another daily pocket knife carry here. I too have asked folks -- "you don't have one?" I've gifted a couple to some friends and they have gotten used to carrying them as well. I recently retired from the AF Reserves as a Security Forces Officer and most of us carry a pocket knife, or two, and other things...
As many, I feel that I'm not quite dressed, if it's not clipped in my pocket.

Kyle M.
04-28-2021, 09:05 PM
I’ve carried a pocket knife since I was about 12. Couldn’t carry it to school but once I was home I had it. Every job I’ve ever had has technically prohibited the carrying of any knife but most guys still do.

Beerd
04-28-2021, 11:14 PM
I have on and off for most of my life. If not on me in my car or service truck. I do seem to loose the expensive ones I buy so I keep to the budget minded ones...LOL.
I usually have the small one at the top in my watch pocket and sometimes carry one of the other 2.

time for some thread drift,
- how many of y'all know what a watch pocket is? [smilie=p:

Mr_Sheesh
04-29-2021, 01:34 AM
Watch Pocket, I do :)

I carried a Boy Scout knife for many years, in 6th grade our teacher asked if any of us had knives, he then praised those who did, saying that humans were tool users, and should carry tools on them. I agree with that concept! :)

In high school or so I upgraded to a Craftsman or Case pocket knife and a the belt trio of Leatherman PST, Victorinox Camper (IIRC), and Buck, for years of camping, searches, fixing things, and the mundane non woods parts of life, except if prohibited.

My PST's can opener finally broke after 40+ years, Leatherman's 30 year warranty covered it, so I now have a new Rebar, wish they'd been able to replace the can opener (lots of things fixed with that PST!) but the Rebar will do it :)

Today I carry the same sorta thing, plus multiple flashlights (each keyring has a tiny Nightcore Tube, then a larger one in my bag) - Seeing is nice, our trainers in SAR loved hauling us out of class at 4PM, tossing us in a truck carrying what we had on, and dropping us off in the boonies, in small groups, "Take a compass bearing of 050 magnetic and we'll see you in the morning.", so we got practiced at carrying large garbage bags, compass, flashlight, etc., as otherwise that was sorta miserable. In the usual rain hereabouts, you CAN find some few trees that shed almost all rain away from their base, but you have to look, more reliable to carry shelter.

Scrounge
04-29-2021, 02:08 AM
I was up at my cousin’s a couple of Sundays ago, sipping on a Guinness and the subject of pocket knives came up. My cousin is about 20 years younger and he stays more aware of things than I do. He said, “How many folks that you know carry a pocket knife?” I said I figured most all did. He said, “Ask around and see how many still do”. Cousin said if you will check you will find that very few do. And he said that when he was in school they were forbidden to carry any knives including pocket knives. I thought he was kidding, but maybe he was right, and perhaps I was like Rip Van Winkle and had been asleep for 30 years. I carry a 3" AG Russell featherlite lockblade and a small Swiss Army knife. What do y’all say?

I normally carry two or three knives, but I also go to a class one of the local technical colleges, where they also have high school students, and knives are forbidden there. Technically, I'm not even allowed to have them in my car while I'm on campus the couple of nights a week I have class. I'm in my mid-60's, and when I was in high school, knives were pretty common at school. And I attended high school in a suburb of Los Angeles, and a small town in Western Colorado. About 25 years ago, I went back to school to become a teacher, and they were frowned on, but not exactly illegal. Now it's a year's suspension even if you left it in your car, if anyone sees it, or it gets reported that you have one.

Scrounge
04-29-2021, 02:11 AM

Used to have one and carry it. Now I have a pocket telephone/calculator/computer/library/electronic leash. I'm not sure things have improved, except that when I have to wait in a line, I've got in excess of 13,000 books in my pocket to read while I wait. Oh, and it also tells time. ;)

Thumbcocker
04-29-2021, 09:12 AM
Swiss Army knife. Carried so much the scales are worn to the point that the metal cross came off. Have Carried a pocket knife evert day since the 70's.

EMC45
04-29-2021, 10:21 AM
My preferences are Spyderco/Benchmade/Kershaw/Buck/Victorinox/Wenger/Case/Shrade (USA)/Leatherman/Gerber/Mora in no particular order.

lightman
04-29-2021, 10:56 AM
I've started carrying a knife when I was in grade school and have every since. It was probably against the rules, but I still did it. I try to keep it sharp but thats a never ending job.............

jonp
04-29-2021, 07:18 PM
Had one since I was a kid. Trapper 3 blade then. Switched y ears ago to a pocket clip. Spyderco for a long while now Byrd half serrated. Big fan of the half serrated blades

jonp
04-29-2021, 07:21 PM

How many know what a stone pocket is?

pete501
04-29-2021, 08:43 PM
Stone Pocket?

alamogunr
04-29-2021, 10:21 PM
Stone Pocket?

Beautiful Randall! I made the mistake when I was a poor college student buying a Randall #3 W/7" blade. Been in a drawer ever since. Wish I had bought the #1 W/7" blade. Would be worth a mint now.

BTW, the #3 was about $30 when I bought it. That was 57 years ago.

Idaho45guy
04-30-2021, 01:05 AM
Used mine today. Was at a Mexican fast food place and was getting a beverage. Pushed the water dispenser button in and it stuck, so water just kept coming out. Took out my pocket knife and used the tip to pry the button out and shut off the water. You never know when you're going to need a knife.

dodah
04-30-2021, 06:45 AM
cannot remember not having one in my pocket, carry at least two or three every day. Don't understand how some carry them and cannot sharpen them. Keep them razor sharp.

jimlj
04-30-2021, 03:26 PM
If I have pants on, I have a knife in my pocket. The only exception is if I'm in a airport or on a plane.

John Guedry
05-01-2021, 09:02 AM
Every day I have one or another in my left front pocket.

MostlyLeverGuns
05-01-2021, 09:41 AM
Usually carry two, a selected Swiss Army with particular tools in left pocket, a Buck 286 clipped in right pocket, haven't flown since I can't carry my Swiss Army, won't unless I leave lower 48.

Shawlerbrook
05-01-2021, 10:37 AM
Always, at least one.

Ickisrulz
05-01-2021, 10:45 AM

The Kershaw Ember (knife on top) is a little gem and costs only $22. I carry one myself.

RudyN
05-01-2021, 11:07 AM
I have carried a pocket knife as long as I can remember. I have a Swiss Army Knife in my left pocket and at this time a Kershaw 1776BLK clipped to my right pocket.

Gator 45/70
05-01-2021, 11:15 AM
Bringing one today to a crawfish boil, Someone has to cut open the strings on the sacks.

GL49
05-01-2021, 11:22 AM
Keys in left front pocket, wallet in right rear, pocketknife in right front.
I just turned around from the computer and counted 18 pocketknives on the bookshelf behind me, and I know I've got at least three in the garage.

monkey wrangler
05-01-2021, 01:22 PM
If I got pants on I'm caring a pocket knife been that way since I got out of high school liberals would not let me carry in school. Last couple years its been a S&W M.A.G.I.C. spring assist and I use it like a tool and try to keep it sharp.

I don't carry expensive knives any more TSA has claimed to many of them. More Liberal retards.

Yes I am considered a city boy I guess, live on outskirts of Phoenix.

I have even bought the 11 year old sharp knives gotta learn some time right.

jonp
05-01-2021, 01:48 PM

When I carry my Bunn Special or one of my Hamilton's it comes in handy

Daekar
05-01-2021, 09:02 PM
We weren't allowed to carry knives in school, but I carried one every day since elementary school anyway. I don't carry as big a knife as I used to, but I still have a small Leatherman on my keys.. shocking how often it comes in handy even for an office worker. I can't imagine being one of those people that wanders around without a flashlight and knife of some kind.

myg30
05-01-2021, 09:47 PM
In 1988 I got a leatherman tool, used it every day for something and carried it till this past year. I always have a pocket knife with 50/50 blade ( half serrated ) and another just plain edge.
Today while brush hogging, the plain edge disappeared, must have pulled out of my pocket while to close to tall bushes. It was a Rat ll with D2 steel blade. ~40 $. I would be really mad if I lost my Spyderco with the CPM35 50/50 blade. I’m not a steel snob, but that knife blade does everything I need it to do. I just hate to abuse it and the rat was great for abusing.

Mike

Keyman
05-01-2021, 11:53 PM
I carry 3 knives, old style Leatherman Supper Tool, old 3 blade Winchester, and Camillus USA 3 blade. When I leave town more go on belt, and in travel bag.

2A-Jay
05-02-2021, 12:12 AM
I always have a pocket knife in my Wranglers pocket Either one of several Case folders or the newest member of my knife family a K-Bar Warthog Lock Back Folder with a Belt strap

curiousgeorge
05-02-2021, 09:44 AM
Been carrying a pocket knife for as long as I can remember. As stated by others, if I have on pants, I have one or two knives with me. Small 3 bladed Case with red handles goes with me every time.

johniv
05-02-2021, 10:43 AM
Yup, still do.

Murphy
05-02-2021, 01:13 PM
I'm 67 years old now, I can't remember when a pocket knife became part of my daily attire. I grew up in Oklahoma City, they didn't do the school lockdown thing over a pen knife, etc. back in those days. So it's really hard to say just how long I've been carrying a pocket knife. At the age of 13, my father moved us back to the rural area where he grew up. About the only kid that didn't carry a pocket knife, typically were the the young ladies. And more of them carried one than most folks knew about.

In short, I just don't feel right if I don't have a knife on me. It may be a small Trapper model, or a 4" lock back. But I have one always.

Murphy

Outpost75
05-02-2021, 02:23 PM
I've always carried at least one knife, even in many non-permissive environments. Sometimes you have to be creative. Good quality nonmagnetic Zirconium kitchen knives are cheap enough to be disposable.

https://agrussell.com/knife/Stone-River-Gear-Ceramic-Kitchen-Knife-Set-White--SRG-23CKW

abunaitoo
05-03-2021, 02:39 AM
I used to, but changed to a Leatherman.
It's more useful for me.

2A-Jay
05-03-2021, 03:26 AM
My Father would not allow me to have a Pocket Knife or any kind of knife I joined the Navy when I was 17, I quickly bought my first Pocket Knife after graduating Boot Camp from the Navy Exchange That was in early 1972. I have carried a Pocket knife of some sort ever since.

Cast10
05-03-2021, 08:59 AM
Can’t remember just when I was given my first pocket knife by my dad. But, I was expected to carry it everyday. Dad said, “You shouldn’t have to ask another man to use his knife.” I am old enough that I carried a pocket knife to school everyday. I was also told to keep it in my pocket unless needed.

My entire life, a pocket knife is with me every day. Two are kept in the truck along with other things. When armed, the knife is there, too.

Oh, Christmas is a big day for the pocket knife, as my dad, me, and son all have to cough up our knives so the ladies can open their gifts.

Watch, keys, knife; minimum daily load out. Other things as required.

blackthorn
05-03-2021, 11:01 AM
When my granddaughter was 7 I gave her a pocket knife. Not a very expensive one but well sharpened and still of good quality, made in Ireland. We were at my cabin and she went outside and attacked a willow tree. Awhile later, she showed up holding her finger. "how bad I asked"? "Not bad" she replied, "but I'll tell you one thing, Mummy is not going to be impressed"! She was right.

Gator 45/70
05-03-2021, 01:08 PM
I know we played mumble peg a lot in jr. high, Can you imagine the shock if jr high boys played this today?

downzero
05-03-2021, 01:58 PM
I have a Benchmade knife I carried forever, but I usually don't now. If I need a knife, it may be sacrilege, but I have a folding utility knife with throw away blades I use most often. It's always sharp and zero work. I stopped carrying my pocket knife when I started carrying a revolver in that pocket, and because I almost always have that pocket occupied by a revolver, having my knife there doesn't work. Old habits die hard, so trying to carry it on the left or something never took off and I just leave it at home.

8mmFan
05-03-2021, 03:47 PM
I have a knife in my pocket about half the time, but I’ve always had knives. We used them on the farm as kids, and we were fortunate to have good ones that my dad would pick up from time to time. Mostly Schrade USA or Buck stockman/two-bladed types.

Now I wear dress clothes a lot of the time, and I really have come to like the Benchmade Bugout. It’s so light you don’t know it’s there, even in a light suit pants pocket.

Another knife thing that I’ve come to appreciate, and that wasn’t around when i was a kid, is the pocket clip.

8mmFan

gwpercle
05-04-2021, 12:39 PM
I've always carried at least one knife, even in many non-permissive environments. Sometimes you have to be creative. Good quality nonmagnetic Zirconium kitchen knives are cheap enough to be disposable.

https://agrussell.com/knife/Stone-River-Gear-Ceramic-Kitchen-Knife-Set-White--SRG-23CKW

THAT ! is a sharp idea !!!
Thanks Outpost 75 .
Gary