PDA

View Full Version : Better grips for a .45 Ruger Bisley?

PBSmith
04-26-2021, 08:49 PM
This piece is about 35 years old, if date of manufacture makes any difference. Possibly Ruger has since changed the grips to a more comfortable fit. Mine are factory original, c. 1985.

The factory grips are beautiful but they're killing my hands. It's the old problem of the middle finger knuckle jamming the trigger guard. If I lower my grip to get clearance, the sharp heel digs into my palm.

I've noted on the web reference to custom grips for this revolver. Nice, but they're out of my income bracket.

Do any of you Ruger Bisley shooters have a reasonably priced solution to better grips? I see a number of after-market products, but don't know if any of them fit large hands better than the factories.

contender1
04-26-2021, 09:52 PM
Well, gun manufacturers make only a few sizes of grip frames, and in general, they can fit a fair portion of the shooters out there.
When you add in the grips,, you are also hoping for a good fit.
But us being humans,, and not all hands are the same, fit issues arise often enough to where some form of "custom" is necessary.
You mentioned custom grips, but there is another option. A different grip frame.
Ronnie Wells in Texas is making different shaped grip frames to fit more hands. He himself has larger hands, & as such, has developed a Bisley g/f with more space behind the trigger guard, and even different angles.
That said,, it's a custom option that can run into the $400-$500 range.

As for another option, such as a "cheaper" one to modify the grips or use different grips, I haven't seen anything of any quality out there.

But, do not despair. There is an alternative, that won't cost much.
Make a set of grips yourself, to fit your hands. It's not as hard as you'd think. And if you start making a few sets, you can find out it becomes easier, and you can make them to YOUR specs w/o spending anything but time.

It's what I did.

stubshaft
04-27-2021, 03:53 AM
I use Bearpaw Grips on my Lipsey Flattop. The thickest part of the grip is at the top of the grip reducing roll and increasing (to me) comfort.

smithnframe
04-27-2021, 06:21 AM
Check out Badger grips!

chuckbuster
04-27-2021, 03:42 PM
Another vote for BearPaws

Mk42gunner
04-27-2021, 05:32 PM
I didn't realize Ruger had been making Bisley models since 1985, time flies.

What I did on my Bisley Vaquero, from the early years of this century, was to thin the bottom half to two thirds of the grip panels. I think by about ¼" at the bottom. It did make a difference in how they feel, but I wasn't getting bumped by the trigger guard either.

Robert

lar45
04-27-2021, 06:59 PM
I have a couple of finger recoil pads that I bought from Brownells years ago. I'm not sure if they are still available, but they work great. Keeps me from busting the knuckle on the 470 double also.

bigboredad
04-30-2021, 10:18 PM
I have a couple of finger recoil pads that I bought from Brownells years ago. I'm not sure if they are still available, but they work great. Keeps me from busting the knuckle on the 470 double also.You can get a different version a Wal-Mart pretty cheap. I used to use 2 band aids til I learned how to hold it

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk