PDA

View Full Version : You've never heard of it?

Idaho45guy
04-26-2021, 04:59 PM
Eagerly awaiting the arrival of my new Ruger Predator rifle and wanted to pick up some lapping compound to smooth out the bolt.

Went to the local Autozone store and asked the clerk where the lapping compound was. Young boy of around 20 or so. I have primers older than him. Blank stare. He asked his slightly older co-worker. Never heard of it. Then the middle-aged female manager came out and, again, had no idea what I was talking about.

So I got to explain to all three what lapping compound is and how it is used in engine building and firearms.

They didn't have any.

Napa was closed, so had to drive the fifteen miles back home empty-handed.

I wonder what else today's auto parts store clerks have never heard of...

2A-Jay
04-26-2021, 05:12 PM
I bought Valve Lapping Compound At O'Rileys (SP) Auto Parts about a Year ago.

Idaho45guy
04-26-2021, 05:20 PM
I bought Valve Lapping Compound At O'Rileys (SP) Auto Parts about a Year ago. I should have tried there, I guess. They were just another few hundred yards down the street.

Scrounge
04-26-2021, 05:26 PM
I bought Valve Lapping Compound At O'Riellys (SP) Auto Parts about a Year ago.

I got mine from O'Reilly's a few years ago. Still haven't used it yet. The day I do is getting closer, though...

Bill

Dusty Bannister
04-26-2021, 05:26 PM
https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-garage-tools/valve-grinding-compound?filterByKeyWord=lapping%20compound&fromString=search&isIgnoreVehicle=false&searchText=lapping%20compound

Must not know how to look up a product either.

2A-Jay
04-26-2021, 05:30 PM
It is shocking at the number of Illiterate people in the Work Force today isn't it?

Scrounge
04-26-2021, 05:34 PM
It is shocking at the number of Illiterate people in the Work Force today isn't it?

It isn't just illiterate. It's ignorant, and unable or unwilling to learn. Or work, for that matter. If they can't find it on a computer it doesn't exist.

Gator 45/70
04-26-2021, 06:09 PM
Ha, Hand them a 20 bill and wait for the correct change, If the machine doesn't tell them how much to give back, Well most of them are blowed up !

FLINTNFIRE
04-26-2021, 06:26 PM
I bought 2 tubes of it one coarse one fine about a year ago , I do not doubt how many of the younger ones do not know about it , same at work most are to dumb to trace out piping or bother to trouble shoot anything , now the power cords need sent in to get new plugs .

I find having lapping compound to be a necessity , along with files and sand paper , sharpening stones .

Mk42gunner
04-26-2021, 06:39 PM
Even the fine valve grinding/ lapping compound is pretty coarse for gun work. I bought an assortment from Brownell's close to thirty years ago when I started jeweling bolts and other gun parts.

What I use most is the 800 grit stuff that came with my scope ring lapping kit.

Robert

farmbif
04-26-2021, 06:55 PM
not a whole lot of folks rebuild engines these days in our current throw away society and specialized products are getting more and more difficult to find.
ive only ever gotten 2 new guns in my life but do the new rugers need smoothing out right out of the box? let us know what the fit and finish is when you get it if you would

Idaho45guy
04-26-2021, 07:18 PM
ive only ever gotten 2 new guns in my life but do the new rugers need smoothing out right out of the box?

The Ruger American series of rifles are pretty notorious for making a weird "zipping" noise when working the bolt. Sort of like rubbing your nail on corduroy pants. It's due to the rough machining inside the receiver.

Buzz Krumhunger
04-26-2021, 07:29 PM
“I wonder what else today's auto parts store clerks have never heard of.“

The kids at Auto Zone here don’t know what breaker points are.

Idaho45guy
04-26-2021, 07:49 PM

Only reason I kept a book of matches in my glovebox of my `69 Ford Torino was adjusting the points.

kenton
04-26-2021, 07:59 PM
It isn't just illiterate. It's ignorant, and unable or unwilling to learn. Or work, for that matter. If they can't find it on a computer it doesn't exist.

So true, those who raised this worthless generation should be ashamed, they are to blame for not instilling values in their childern.

popper
04-26-2021, 08:00 PM
`69 Ford Torino Terrible car. A thin dime works too but nobody's got one now, just paper bills.

white eagle
04-26-2021, 08:04 PM
Reminds me of one time I wanted some motor oil
asked the clerk for some 10w30 and his reply was
we don't have any but we have this low30 (10w30) [smilie=w:

hoodat
04-26-2021, 08:07 PM

hoodat
04-26-2021, 08:18 PM
You guys are pretty harsh on the youngins, and there is plenty of reason with a lot of them.

I'm fortunate to live and work in small town America, and while we've got no shortage of stupidity, both kids and adults, we also have a good number of young men and women who would fit nicely in any generation.

I love them all the more because I know what they are up against being raised in this last couple of decades.

Don't forget that YOU might plant the seed that sends one of these guys in the right direction. jd

FISH4BUGS
04-26-2021, 08:22 PM
we don't have any but we have this low30 (10w30) [smilie=w:
Like the kid at the bagel shop responded when I asked for a half pound of cream cheese.
"...I'm sorry sir, all we have are the 8 ounce sizes".
We are headed for disaster.

tai95
04-26-2021, 08:57 PM
My one buddy is a mechanic, He tells stories about the new kids seeing his timing gun and getting upset he has a weapon in his box.

WRideout
04-26-2021, 09:07 PM
Only reason I kept a book of matches in my glovebox of my `69 Ford Torino was adjusting the points.

Try to find a new timing light.

Wayne

Polymath
04-26-2021, 09:11 PM
I had to make some in a pinch one day when I was lapping out a mold that I wanted a bit larger. Took some emery cloth and a sharp piece if steel and ground off a bit. More than enough to do the job.

eveready
04-26-2021, 09:13 PM
This is a direct result of our democrat education system. Kids today aren't educated in school, they're indoctrinated.

Idaho45guy
04-26-2021, 09:42 PM
`69 Ford Torino Terrible car.

Blasphemy!

I built mine into a pretty impressive road car...

hc18flyer
04-26-2021, 10:14 PM
I know I will get grief over this! Last week I was in Wal-Mart Automotive section, asked the young Guy about using the ' filter interchange chart, he absolutely didn't have a clue! I will know better next time! hc18flyer

45workhorse
04-26-2021, 10:30 PM
My one buddy is a mechanic, He tells stories about the new kids seeing his timing gun and getting upset he has a weapon in his box.

My daughters alternater went bad and her friend told me, the it was bad, because it wasn't getting enough compression!:groner:

Hogtamer
04-26-2021, 10:51 PM
The exact same thing happened to me last Wednesday! I went down the street to O’reilleys, in and out in 2 minutes flat. Had a too tight shotgun chamber that needed polishing.

Texas by God
04-26-2021, 10:55 PM
281971That one.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

rbuck351
04-27-2021, 02:25 AM
Valve grinding compound isn't used much anymore for lapping valves as the new valve and seat cutting equipment is a lot better than what it used to be. Points haven't been used in cars since about 1975 and try to find someone that can rebuild a carb or an alternator or even a generator. Most auto parts stores don't even carry parts to rebuild an alternator or carb and certainly don't have brushes or bushings for a generator. I still have my old Snapon timing light but haven't seen anything in quite some time to use it on. Ask the younger parts guy for a diode pack or brushes for an alternator and you will get a dumb look. Nothing is rebuilt by todays mechanic or should I say parts changer.

WheelgunConvert
04-27-2021, 02:48 AM
A handy use for valve grinding compound is to make Phillips head screwdrivers grip better. Just a little dab on the end of the tool will help keep the tool engaged without walking out. Works good for the power driver bits too.

namsag
04-27-2021, 03:57 AM
These young hipsters in the auto parts stores, if they can't type a year make and model into their computer terminal, there is Zero chance they will find it for you.

metricmonkeywrench
04-27-2021, 04:55 AM
I believe thinking outside the box has turned to thinking outside the monitor. Half the time I do all the research myself, call and verify the part is on hand (visual check) and walk in with a printout and say “I want this”. Gone are the days of the catalog rack and the guy who knew where everything was on the shelf without a electronic inventory management system.

As stated several times already this does not bode well for future generations with DIY touch labor anymore.

trapper9260
04-27-2021, 04:55 AM
These young hipsters in the auto parts stores, if they can't type a year make and model into their computer terminal, there is Zero chance they will find it for you.

You find that is other places also . Then you also have some that have a clue what to do, but it is getting rear for that .

bakerjw
04-27-2021, 07:52 AM
I went into an AutoZone a couple of decades back looking for a 6 cylinder spark plug kit. You all know, the generic kind that they used to sell. The kid asked what kind of car that it was for and I stated, "You're not going to have it. I need a generic 6 cylinder spark plug kit." Well, he insisted that he could look it up, so....
A 1969 Triumph GT6.
<Insert deer in the headlight look here>

The other guy at the counter was a parts man. The kind that we used to see in every auto parts store. He shook his head and told the kid to look up a 78 Chevy something or other truck. The kid brought it out and after checking it, I knew that it would work.

fixit
04-27-2021, 08:07 AM
We live in sad times! Not too long ago, I was yakking with a gentleman, and it seems he had retired and shut down a small auto repair operation, not because he was ready to retire, but because of the sad state of people in the work force.... nobody under 30 or 40 knew how to diagnose anything unless a computer told them what was wrong, and worse, he couldn't find anyone who would stay on the job for more than two or three weeks!

Mr_Sheesh
04-27-2021, 08:28 AM
I guess I can add setting points up properly to the trash bin in my resume where I mention using keypunches, replacing keypunch ribbons, and emptying keypunch chaff boxes, sigh. Oh and toss carb rebuilding in there too? Ugh.

Ed K
04-27-2021, 08:38 AM
This works both ways though and can be to our advantage. On rare occasion get asked about introducing a new one to shooting but when they find out nothing in the safe is black they quickly lose interest!

bedbugbilly
04-27-2021, 09:26 AM
Well . . . for one thing, very few Industrial Arts ? Shop programs exist in the public schools any more. After all . . . "the future is in computers" . . . . so we now have kids who have very few "hands on" experience unless they go to a trade school. Even when I was teaching shop classes some 45 or so years ago, I would have to start out with the very basics - how to read a ruler - how to transfer fractions of an inch into decimals and even basic math. I'm sure there are kids today who still fool with cars, rebuilding engines, etc. but they are probably few and far between so it doesn't surprise me that they don't know what lapping compound is.

A few years ago, I was pouring a pewter nose-cap on a rifle for a friend while we were in AZ for the winter. I was lacking files so I went u to Home Depot to pick a few up - had a hard enough time finding someone who could steer me to where they were as they weren't where you would expect them to be. I selected a few and then told the younger fellow that I needed a "file card" and some chalk. He looked lat me like he had no idea what I was talking about - so I patiently explained "what" a file card is and how it is used and why chalk was used. He still had no clue. He couldn't even tell me what a ferrous and non0ferrous metal was.

Unfortunately, we have lost so much of what used to be "common knowledge" because such things as shop classes, home-ec classes, life =-skills classes have been eliminated from the public schools. Funny how the government can want to insert systemic racism education in the schools, starting in early elementary school through high school - but they have no interest in if the kids can read and write nor if they have any exposure to classes to teach them skills they can use through out their lives.

Conditor22
04-27-2021, 11:24 AM
I had to make some in a pinch one day when I was lapping out a mold that I wanted a bit larger. Took some emery cloth and a sharp piece if steel and ground off a bit. More than enough to do the job.

toothpaste works :), I normally use Flitz

Mk42gunner
04-27-2021, 11:45 AM
Just try finding some one to rebuild a magneto today. I had to convert my WD to points ignition, so I needed a resistor to keep the points from burning constantly. I had also put a 12 volt alternator on to replace the stolen 6 volt generator.

I went to the parts store and asked for a resistor, one of the kids had no idea what I was talking about. The other one was involved in tractor pulling and knew what I wanted.

Seems like everybody has forgotten how to think without a computer.

Robert

robg
04-27-2021, 11:54 AM
i used solvol autosol chrome polish or t cut .both are abrasive enough.

Burnt Fingers
04-27-2021, 12:48 PM
Well . . . for one thing, very few Industrial Arts ? Shop programs exist in the public schools any more. After all . . . "the future is in computers" . . . . so we now have kids who have very few "hands on" experience unless they go to a trade school. Even when I was teaching shop classes some 45 or so years ago, I would have to start out with the very basics - how to read a ruler - how to transfer fractions of an inch into decimals and even basic math. I'm sure there are kids today who still fool with cars, rebuilding engines, etc. but they are probably few and far between so it doesn't surprise me that they don't know what lapping compound is.

I never fail to be surprised at how many people can't do basic math. Things like converting a decimal to a percentage. It's to the point where when I see someone give a percentage I always check the math. 90% of the time they have it wrong.

fc60
04-27-2021, 01:26 PM
Greetings,

My offering is this...

Went to the O'Reilly parts store and handed the attendant the carb off my generator. I asked for two feet of fuel line to fit the stem on the carb. He looks at me and asks "Fuel injected or carburetor fuel line?" while holding the carb.

Cheers,

Dave

jim147
04-27-2021, 02:18 PM
I had my wife stop by a store for me to get a mower belt. I said tell them you need an A90. They told her they need all the mower info to sell her a part. That was the point I started ordering all non emergency parts online.

Kraschenbirn
04-27-2021, 04:08 PM
Couple weeks back, I was servicing the Cub Cadet in preparation for the summmer mowing. Went to the farm supply store where I bought the tractor to pick up an oil filter. Checked the shelves and they were out of the FRAM filter to replace the OEM part so I tried their cross-reference book...no joy there, either. Went over to the service desk and gave the salesperson the Cub Cadet p/n for the filter (remember, this is the store that sold me the tractor!) and was told the number was "not in the system" and I must have read the engine data plate incorrectly. As I walked away before voicing my opinion of the store's product support, I happened to glance at the Briggs & Stratton service parts display and...Lo and Behold!...there was a whole stack of the needed filters, each with a cross-reference chart to OEM part numbers for about a half-dozen brands of lawn/garden equipment printed on the back of each box. On my way to check-out, I couldn't help but wonder how many customers had been sent somewhere else to purchase a common B&S service part.

Electrod47
04-27-2021, 04:26 PM

AND, Auto Zone stock trades over 1,500.00 per/share ????

tomme boy
04-27-2021, 08:30 PM
I worked at our local AutoZone for about a year just for something to do part time. All the old guys came to me when it dealt with off the wall odd things they were looking for. Dave Ohrt off of American Pickers came in one day. He was working on a old Harley for a guy and needed a oil pressure sending unit for it. The manager was helping him but she could not find any info on the Harley he had. I asked him if he just needed a single pin pressure switch. He said yep, just for an idiot light. Told the manager to look up any GM car or truck from the 70s and give him the oil switch off of that.

This store goes through people like crazy. I saw a few really brite young kids working there. The main problem we ran into was customers that did not have a clue to what they needed and it was your fault because you gave them the exact part they asked for. It was always our fault that they don't know what they were doing.

My favorite one was asking a lady what kind of vehicle she had. "The blue car" was her answer. I got so tired of all the idiots everyday and had to leave. Every time I go in there they ask me to come back. No thanks. Try working on the other side of the counter once before making claims of incompetence.

Burnt Fingers
04-28-2021, 09:34 AM
I worked at our local AutoZone for about a year just for something to do part time. All the old guys came to me when it dealt with off the wall odd things they were looking for. Dave Ohrt off of American Pickers came in one day. He was working on a old Harley for a guy and needed a oil pressure sending unit for it. The manager was helping him but she could not find any info on the Harley he had. I asked him if he just needed a single pin pressure switch. He said yep, just for an idiot light. Told the manager to look up any GM car or truck from the 70s and give him the oil switch off of that.

This store goes through people like crazy. I saw a few really brite young kids working there. The main problem we ran into was customers that did not have a clue to what they needed and it was your fault because you gave them the exact part they asked for. It was always our fault that they don't know what they were doing.

My favorite one was asking a lady what kind of vehicle she had. "The blue car" was her answer. I got so tired of all the idiots everyday and had to leave. Every time I go in there they ask me to come back. No thanks. Try working on the other side of the counter once before making claims of incompetence.

Hear hear! It's even worse on the other side of the gun counter.

farmbif
04-28-2021, 09:48 AM
for us old folks who grew up repairing and rebuilding stuff we understand what these things are. in todays world the older mechanical stuff has been moved out of the mainstream to specialized sources. magnetos like mk42 says are now a very specialized item, only used in airplanes and antique engines and tractors. there are sources for this stuff but they are sometimes not easy to find. and the folks that know about them are few and far between.
Goodson is an example its about the only place I know that has a full array of engine rebuilding stuff. another example is Steiner tractor parts, they specialize in everything for all the older tractors. many of the engines and machines built these days are throw away they cannot be rebuilt for oner reason or another maybe its because some of is built not to be affordably rebuilt and or many items are built these days only to last so long--throw away products

Lloyd Smale
04-28-2021, 10:05 AM
most of the people behind the counter at parts stores probably dont even know how to drive a stick or change a flat. If you tried relating Saginaw or Muncie to cars they think they were citys where cars are built. Wouldnt know a rat or mouse from a beaver.

Pressman
04-28-2021, 10:08 AM
A handy use for valve grinding compound is to make Phillips head screwdrivers grip better. Just a little dab on the end of the tool will help keep the tool engaged without walking out. Works good for the power driver bits too.

You win the prize for the Most Helpful post of the week.

Ken

poppy42
04-28-2021, 11:25 AM
`69 Ford Torino Terrible car. A thin dime works too but nobody's got one now, just paper bills.
Terrible car?
I had a 70 Torino with a 429 cobra jet in it. I got a ticket for in excess of 100 miles an hour(The speedometer went to 160 and it was pegged the trooper gave me a big break!) on the Massachusetts Turnpike! I could let go of the steering wheel and the car would go straight for a mile! I don’t think it was such a terrible car I wish I still had it.

Char-Gar
04-28-2021, 02:12 PM
I keep Clover in 220, 320, 500 and 600 grit around my shop and have for many years. Many uses.

Scrounge
04-28-2021, 03:04 PM

Or a point file. I've only got one left, here somewhere, but I do have one. Can't afford to replace my 63 Impala SS, either. I could buy a bunch of -03 Springfields for what that would cost...

Some addictions are stronger than others.

Bill

Scrounge
04-28-2021, 03:08 PM
I guess I can add setting points up properly to the trash bin in my resume where I mention using keypunches, replacing keypunch ribbons, and emptying keypunch chaff boxes, sigh. Oh and toss carb rebuilding in there too? Ugh.

Yep. You, Sir, are obsolete. Oh, and sorry about assuming your gender.

Forgot to say "Welcome to the club."

jim147
04-28-2021, 06:48 PM
Is the current clover brand still oil based like it was in the '80's?

Txcowboy52
04-28-2021, 07:22 PM
Very few people re-build engines now days . When I was growing up if and engine had trouble you pulled it out and fixed it . Most people I knew did this . Lots of hands on experience. As time goes by so many things are lost .

jim147
04-28-2021, 11:44 PM
I've built a ton of engines over the years. The main reason few people do it these days is that a properly maintained engine will go 300,000-500,000 miles these days. At that point the car is worn out.

While I've been out of the machine shop for years I'll still take on an engine rebuild from time to time. I love it. One cylinder or twelve don't care.

Mr_Sheesh
04-29-2021, 12:13 AM
Scrounge, the "Mr" in my username part is subtle, innit? LOL Yeah, pretty obsolete, can still fix most things tho :) Rebuilt so many engines, fixed so many things...

In the search & rescue group our squadron was given an old 63 Falcon ex-USAF van, engine was seized from rust. Removed the head. 6 cyl inline. Got a block of wood, put it in the right cylinders in turn, hammered it a bit to get the pistons to move a bit; Honed each once we got it to BDC, blew and vacuumed out the crud ofc. It ran for some time once, uh, I guess call that fixed. Biggest problem next was steering box had almost 1/2 turn of play in it, you did NOT take that thing on the freeway, that was too exciting!

Top of the radiator did pop off one day, that was exciting, I'd been doing too much flight training, said "Bail out, bail out, bail out!" as I parked it, my sis was in the car and gave me an odd look. Was glad it was just steam/antifreeze, thought it was a fire at first! Knew a good radiator shop and they fixed it for cheap, just needed new soldering, old had cracked free & popped off.

samari46
04-29-2021, 12:17 AM
Went into Academy once and couldn't find any 35 Remington. Deer in the headlights look. Said to try another store down the road that has the highest prices in town. Have about 5-6 of the caps you stick on oil filters. And about 3 different steel strap wrenches for different oil filters. Was in auto zone and the guy couldn't find the cap wrench for his oil filter. Since he had the new filter in hand we went over to the strap wrench section and found one that fit his oil filter. Still have my old timing light, yeah looks like something from Buck Rodgers. Frank

Petrol & Powder
04-29-2021, 08:21 AM
I still have all of my ignition wrenches, files for points, a timing light, dwell meter, vacuum gages, etc.
As others have pointed out, it's been a long time since engines had things like mechanical points and carburetors.
The last time I got a weird look from parts clerk was when I asked for a set of brushes for an alternator.

I don't blame the clerks, most of them are just retail clerks trying to sell what the customer wants. In the suburban parts stores, about 95% of the time the clerk just needs to master a computer and cash register. In the past, the parts clerks were almost always mechanics. In the parts stores that are aimed at serving mechanics, many of the clerks still are mechanics. There's a huge difference in the counter staff needed at a parts store that is geared towards retail to car owners verses parts supply for a mechanic.

And a 19 year old making near minimum wage is unlikely to make a career out of auto parts retail. The stores cannot keep employees, so the system has to be geared towards short training and high turnover rates. For the average customer in an auto parts store, a cashier behind the counter is all you need.

VariableRecall
04-30-2021, 04:24 PM
While I'm blessed to have a dad that's taught them the basics of automotive maintenance and general handyman stuff, there's quite a lot of younger people like me that have never had that experience. I'm certain the majority of your problems with the kids in the Auto shops stem from the fact that they took the jobs because they were hands to run the teller, not exactly for their automotive experience.

Come to think of it, most like these kid's family cars were all fuel injected in the first place with modern electrical systems from the get-go. Unless the mom or dad had an old beaut in the garage (Whose sizes are shrinking in general by the decade), They don't know anything else.

Not to mention, most kids in general don't have much hands-on experience with cars outside of the steering wheel or the gas pump. There's certainly enthusiasts around, but even those don't go nearly as hands on as is required with a vehicle from the 70's.

Another important factor is that most times any serious maintenance for vehicles these days are done at dealerships where more specialized technicians are doing the job instead of the customers. Engines aren't so easily removable as they used to as well.

elmacgyver0
04-30-2021, 05:14 PM

I seem to learn something every day, This is something I never heard of before, as old as I am I learn more things all the time.
I will be 70 years old tomorrow and still learning!

woodbutcher
04-30-2021, 11:37 PM
[smilie=s: Yep.The lapping compound on the Phillips screwdriver is an old one.I heard about it from an old mechanic when I was about 10 or 12 years old.He started his mechanicing career around 1913.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Three44s
05-01-2021, 12:51 AM
That trick with the lapping compound and Phillips screw drivers is a real keeper!

The problem I run into is even if you have a good parts person, they are hamstrung by their lack of resources. The chain store parts houses have orientated everything into a computer system. You tell them you are working on an earlier something and it’s not in the computer.

Things is a gettin tougher every day!

Three44s

jonp
05-01-2021, 04:43 AM
we don't have any but we have this low30 (10w30)

I was at the Ford dealer on a useless quest when a lady came in with her brand new car, bought there a month or two before, spoke to the parts manager and they went outside. I watched through the window as he opened the hood for her and pointed something out then closed it and came back in. He looked stunned when he told the other guy that she couldn't find the OIL dipstick to check it. All she could find was the 710 whatever that was. Other guy was too surprised to laugh, I just looked at them both also kinda speechless.

Went into Academy once and couldn't find any 35 Remington.

I went into a sports store when I was 12-14 or so. I needed ammo for deer season. Guy asked me what I had and I told him a Rem 742 Woodsmaster 308. He actually told me that all he had was 308 Winchester ammo. Won't that work? No, I needed 308 Remington ammo. He was serious. Worst was the guy at the counter who was talking to him. That clown just smirked and shook his head at the dumb kid who didn't know what he was talking about.

jonp
05-01-2021, 04:59 AM

Starsky and Hutch do not approve of this comment.

ok, they used 74-76 Torino's.

jonp
05-01-2021, 05:08 AM

That's a shame. In high school I rebuilt the 4 Barrel for my 72 Caprice Classic 402 on the kitchen table. While my grandmother was gone I might add.

Mr_Sheesh
05-01-2021, 06:06 AM
Guy I knew loved and used to rebuild Quadrajets frequently and would always end up with a couple parts left over.

You're really supposed to have the metering needles there, inside the carb, inserted through the metering jet orifices, before you close the carb up, every single time.

For some reason, he couldn't get it -facepalm-

My first car was a "throw him into the water and see if he drowns" project, old VW that had a pranged engine, man did I learn a lot disassembling the engine, getting it machined, reassembling it, etc. It would have been easier with help, but that isn't the way of my family, seems.

sharps4590
05-01-2021, 07:21 AM
Two things. Went into our Auto Zone and asked for a set of spark plugs for my 1974 MG-B. Now, nearly ALL the major chains carry basic tune up parts for MG-B's, Auto Zone included. Fella in his late 30's-early 40's asks, "who makes that?" I should have said Hudson or Packard but, I didn't. As many others have said, older guy behind parts counter is shaking his head. Teachable moment.

Second. My wife used to spread mulch on her 18 flower beds every spring. Well....the years have taken their toll on both of us and we can't do it all these days. Soo..we called the Christian Campus House our church supports as they offer help of all kinds to those who need it. No pay is expected, ever. All they say is, if you can, donate something to the House. However, we use their services sort of frequently and as he Lord has blessed us greatly, the house receives a significant donation. We could probably hire it done cheaper but the benefit wouldn't be nearly so great. Anyway...I digress.

I told the house manager to make sure he sent me a student who could drive a stick. So I'm getting ready to load mulch in my little dump truck and I shout, "Who here can drive a standard transmission?" Two responses received, identical, "I WISH"!! Not one of 8 engineering college students, from freshmen to seniors could drive a standard transmission. Wish I would have had time to teach one or more of them.

Making change, don't get me started. It's one of the most rude things there is when a cashier gets the change out of the drawer, lays it on top of the receipt, hands it to you and says, "here".

I am not convinced that the amount of new knowledge is equal to...or as useful for life, as the knowledge lost and being lost. My two boys do pretty good, they're 45 and 48. The oldest mostly grew up on the farm with my wife and I and took Vo-Ag in school. A very small, rural school. The youngest chose to stay with his mother but he was on the farm often enough he was exposed to and learned quite a bit of useful, life knowledge and, he does very well taking care of "stuff". Both are in the computer field for their careers and both have expressed gratitude for what they learned "on the farm". Neither would have any trouble following this conversation...and they can both drive standard transmissions. 'Course they could both do that by age 12. When the oldest bought his first automatic I got a huge laugh when he said the same thing I said when I bought my first automatic. First two days of driving it I about stomped a hole in the floor looking for the clutch.

Mk42gunner
05-01-2021, 04:14 PM
First two days of driving it I about stomped a hole in the floor looking for the clutch.
I still do that occasionally, along with grabbing for the non-existent floor shifter to hit third gear.

Robert

DocSavage
05-01-2021, 08:27 PM
I'm old enough to remember points,roters,rotor capsetc Haven't driven a standard in years. My late uncle was a hard ass old yankee bought a new car went to show it him the minute he saw electronic ignition on the car told me to yank it out ( like that was possible) and replace it with points,condenser etc his reasoning if it dies it will be expensive to replace.
I asked how much would I spend every 6 months replacing points etc compared to how often electronic ignition fails.

sharps4590
05-01-2021, 08:36 PM
We have 7 licensed, registered vehicles and I bought Dad's Suzuki Carry after he passed away so call it 8 altogether. 5 are standard transmission. 'Course 3 of them are vintage MG's, one is a Morris Minor and the Suzuki is a standard transmission. So I still drive a stick every day. My 2017 Mercedes gets driven the least of them all.

dverna
05-01-2021, 09:56 PM
I avoid a lot of hassle, wasted time and save money by buying stuff like this on Amazon. Closest auto parts store is 25 miles away.

Idaho45guy
05-01-2021, 10:30 PM
My coworker showed up with this today...

He's had it since he was 14. He's 27 now. Dad bought it for him. I went out to look at it and popped the hood and he had no idea what anything was. Didn't know what transmission it had, didn't know how to adjust the idle on the carb, or even what carb it had (Edlebrock Performer 600 cfm). I was shocked by how little he actually knew about the car and how to keep it running. Engine was filthy and lots of oil leaks. Carb also needed rebuilt as it was leaking pretty bad.

I don't know... When I was his age and had muscle cars, I knew just about everything about them and how to maintain them. Even a kid that owns one nowadays doesn't know a fraction about them as kids back in my day. Sad.

Winger Ed.
05-02-2021, 07:16 PM
"Who here can drive a standard transmission?" Two responses received, identical, "I WISH"!!

My next door neighbor frequently loans out his pick up to other neighbors.
None of our neighbors ever ask to borrow mine.
I figure it's because it has a six speed manual trans.

WestKentucky
05-03-2021, 12:28 AM
I’m disgusted with my generation and ashamed of the younger ones. Folks barely half my age are graduating from high school right now, and about 98% of them can’t work their way out of a math problem without consulting their trusty cellphone 8 times and asking somebody else for the answer. It’s to a point where I just order what I need and select the pick up in store option. More than a few times I have been told it took a while to find something.

More frustrating though are the simple things that aren’t sold anymore. I replaced a sink and needed a new paper gasket for the disposal drain fitting. It’s a $0.31 cent part online, with $6.99 shipping and it will be here in 2 weeks. The sink got a rubber gasket that fit well enough. That was far better than the reducer for my old outboard motor fuel line which just isn’t sold anymore at all. On the bright side though, I have a few guns now that should have cost far more than I paid and all I had to do was a detail cleaning and some very minor repairs. I do have a mill now to make parts on when I can no longer find what I need.

smithnframe
05-03-2021, 06:34 AM
They don’t know what a timing light is either!

woodbutcher
05-03-2021, 10:48 AM
[smilie=b: Had a counter jumper that did`nt know what a scribe was either.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo