PDA

View Full Version : Winchester Revolver – Why is That Not a Thing

trapper9260
04-26-2021, 03:21 PM
https://www.alloutdoor.com/2021/04/23/potd-winchester-revolver/

Scrounge
04-26-2021, 03:36 PM
That prototype was kind of elegant looking. I like it!

Bill

Tyguy95
04-26-2021, 06:23 PM
My understanding is that back in the day colt and winchester made a bit of a gentleman's agreement. Winchester would build their lever guns and colt would build revolvers to avoid cutting into each other's business

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Scrounge
04-26-2021, 06:29 PM
My understanding is that back in the day colt and winchester made a bit of a gentleman's agreement. Winchester would build their lever guns and colt would build revolvers to avoid cutting into each other's business

Colt made revolving rifles and shotguns, IIRC, so I'm not so sure I buy that argument. OTH, I don't know exactly when they did those things, either. I learned to shoot with an old SAA Colt in .45Long, but have never owned a Colt anything myself. Not that I'd turn it down if someone made me a deal, just never found one I could afford when I could afford it.

Bill

Der Gebirgsjager
04-26-2021, 06:49 PM
It truly is a historical fact that Colt desired to enter the lever action market. Winchester made 5 revolvers not all of the same pattern, and visited Colt to demonstrate them. A deal was reached where Colt would not make lever action rifles, and Winchester would not produce revolvers. I do not know if it's still there today, but back in the late '60s and early '70s there was a Wells Fargo bank on Olvera St. in downtown Los Angeles. They had a very nice display of Old West revolvers, and I saw one of the Winchester revolvers in their display.

DG

cwtebay
04-27-2021, 12:22 AM
I was of the understanding that the introduction of the Burgess by Colt begat Winchester's foray into revolvers. I have seen only the one in Cody, pretty cool story about "gentleman's agreements".

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Bigslug
04-27-2021, 08:34 AM
Handguns were just not their destiny.

I forget the source of the article, but years back somebody did a piece on a WWI prototype Winchester 1911 pistol. Kinda like the North Americans, they never really got off the ground with making them past the initial tool room/demo. I don't recall the reasoning, but it seems likely Uncle Sam decided the need for M1917's and BAR's was a better use of their time.

I do not recall exactly when Colt and Winchester agreed not to tread on each other's turf, but consider the possible "what if's" of John Browning NOT being able to freely work for both companies.

Tyguy95
04-27-2021, 09:19 AM
https://www.historynet.com/colt-revolvers-winchester-repeaters-wests-legendary-firearms.htm here's a nice write up on what happened between the two

ranchman
04-27-2021, 10:03 AM
Rock Island had one of the 13 Winchesters available from an 1876 centennial presentation, upon which Winchester wished to enter the revolver market. This sale was from 2019 if anyone wishes to look it up. Some neat and very interesting information in the highlights.

Gorgeous revolver.

Jtarm
04-27-2021, 03:56 PM
The late Harry Sefried said he saw the design while working for Winchester and found it interesting. He later incorporated at least some of the elements into the Hi Standard Double Nine.

Sefried later went on to design the Security Six and the Hi Standard Sentinel, IIRC.

Jtarm
04-27-2021, 04:06 PM
Handguns were just not their destiny.

I forget the source of the article, but years back somebody did a piece on a WWI prototype Winchester 1911 pistol. Kinda like the North Americans, they never really got off the ground with making them past the initial tool room/demo. I don't recall the reasoning, but it seems likely Uncle Sam decided the need for M1917's and BAR's was a better use of their time.

I do not recall exactly when Colt and Winchester agreed not to tread on each other's turf, but consider the possible "what if's" of John Browning NOT being able to freely work for both companies.

Winchester did manage to PO Mr. Browning enough that he took his later designs to Remington and FN.

I don’t think he ever worked “for” Colt, beyond Uncle Sam awarding Colt the contracts for the 1911 and 1917.

cwtebay
04-27-2021, 07:49 PM
Winchester did manage to PO Mr. Browning enough that he took his later designs to Remington and FN.

I don’t think he ever worked “for” Colt, beyond Uncle Sam awarding Colt the contracts for the 1911 and 1917.I believe that JMB at least worked "with" Colt.
As in the 1895 Colt and every iteration of what would be the 1911. Not to mention the 1903, 1908, one could argue the Colt Monitor.....

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Winger Ed.
04-27-2021, 07:58 PM
I always wondered why Remington got out of the revolver business.
In their day, they were good guns and innovative too.

trapper9260
05-01-2021, 05:30 AM
Here is a video on some https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk4PoFFNnaE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfFSYj8cWgI here is another one