PDA

View Full Version : Who is gonna be hit by the plague of locusts?

Idaho45guy
04-25-2021, 11:12 PM
Ok, actually Cicadas...

I was living in Iowa for the last, small hatch, and it was crazy. This one is supposed to be of Biblical proportions.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/cicada-invasion-17-years-underground-billions-emerge-spring/story?id=76921532

This spring -- 17 years later -- those cicadas are part of Brood X (ominous as the "X" sounds, it stands for the Roman numeral ten) and for all that time they have been underground eating and growing.

Researchers aren't sure exactly how many will surface, except that it will be in the billions: They estimate the numbers will be at least 1.5 million per acre, which could mean as many as 30 of the creatures covering your average square foot.

Brood X, sometimes referred to as the Great Eastern Brood, is among the largest in terms of geographical areas in North America, according to the University of Connecticut's Cicada Mapping Project.

oldscool
04-26-2021, 12:20 AM
I have been hit by them for many decades. I hear them singing at least 3/4 of my waking hours.

Jeff Michel
04-26-2021, 05:43 AM
They've been in Washington DC since January.:bigsmyl2:

falmike
04-26-2021, 05:46 AM
I feed my Bluejays peanuts year round but cut back when the cicadas come out. The jays treat them like flying peanuts.

bakerjw
04-26-2021, 06:23 AM
Cats love cicadas. Something that buzzes when caught and can fly in a tantalizing manner.

BNE
04-26-2021, 06:45 AM
One of this light blue dots is over my lad in SC. I hope they come out and eat kudzu....

marlin39a
04-26-2021, 07:00 AM
I had them so thick a few years back, that I couldn't hear a rattle snake warning me to stay away. lucky thing I spotted it before walking on it.

Kylongrifle32
04-26-2021, 08:12 AM
They should be emerging in my area soon. We have had so cooler days here but it's starting to warm up this week. Wife has been complaining about them for a month now.

Shepherd2
04-26-2021, 09:39 AM
We had them pretty bad here in eastern Ohio 4 or 5 years ago. They did a lot of damage including killing many trees.

scattershot
04-26-2021, 09:54 AM
Just keep ‘em east of the river, thankyouverymuch.

375supermag
04-26-2021, 10:52 AM
Hi...
The cicadas should be emerging any day now here in southcentral Pennsylvania.
The last 17year cycle saw enormous numbers of cicadas.
I drove through veritable clouds of them driving to work. Sounded like hail hitting my truck at the time. Hundreds of them stuck in the grill every day.

Good news is that after two-three weeks, it is all over with.
Messy, noisy and inconvenient...sort of like liberal politicians.

Murphy
04-26-2021, 11:05 AM
Seems I live in the only county in Oklahoma showing multiple broods (far S.E. corner of the state).

I've seen them come an go over the decades. I recall as far back as the late 50's and early 60's seeing them all over Oklahoma City when I lived there. Hopefully they won't be too bad. Cat's love them? Mine is going to have grand ole' time then. Even though he's well taken care of, he absolutely loves to hunt.

Murphy

Buzz Krumhunger
04-26-2021, 11:21 AM
My neighbor and I killed buckets full of cicadas with our Daisy BB guns when we were kids. Our dads approved and supplied the ammo.

LUBEDUDE
04-26-2021, 11:40 AM
As kids we would tie a string around their bodies and spin in circles as they flew. Kind of like those motorized model planes with lines attached to them.

444ttd
04-26-2021, 12:06 PM
in somerset co, pa the last cicada cycle, i didn't see or hear them. but the time before that, i did see and hear them, alot!!!! i guess i was 14-15yo when it happened. me and grandpa were out all summer in raystown lake. the only thing that fish were biting was cicadas!!!! it was easy to catch cicadas, just reach out your arm to pick them up. the worm dealers went out of business!!!!!!! :veryconfu

then while i was travelling to work, it must of been '98 or '99, the cicadas were bad in WV. i'd have stop every couple of miles to clean off spatter marks of my windshield.

MrWolf
04-26-2021, 12:18 PM
Looks like i am in line for brood X and V. That nature's version of the 5 and dime? [smilie=l:

Gone_rabid
04-26-2021, 03:45 PM
We had them pretty bad here in eastern Ohio 4 or 5 years ago. They did a lot of damage including killing many trees.

Im East of Cincinnati and don’t recall having very many of them. To me it was hilarious the last go around due to some of the people I worked with being scared to death of bugs and the pranks we would pull with them.

I can’t wait for this next batch. Haha

Mr_Sheesh
04-26-2021, 04:13 PM
Miller Moths in Colorado are about as bad but at least quiet. Gal I know in Colo. Springs was a bit freaked her first year there as there were about a million in the apt's mail room LOL

Grew up with time in Kansas, heard enough Cicada 'song' then for me.

Electrod47
04-26-2021, 04:17 PM
I love the sound of Cicada's. When I was a boy visiting my grandfather in the mid-50's in Osawatomie Kansas they were the background music to all my BB gun shooting and and catfish fishing and being with that glorious old man. Everytime I hear the cicadas I thing of him and all that that meant to me. I hope its a big hatch! My father was'nt that interested in teaching me any outdoor or firearm skills. Cicadas haven't been that prominent here in South Central Mississippi the 10 years I been here so far. Growing up in the greater Los Angeles area there were no night bugs to serenade us.

gwpercle
04-26-2021, 04:18 PM
Thanks to the advent of Central Heating and A/C they are no longer a problem .
Insulated walls , insulated windows that stay closed during the night ... you don't hear them .

Back in 1958 we had Attic fan and slept with every window open ...then you could hear them ...

Now ... A/C running drowns out noise and insulated windows shut tight ...No Problem !
Gary

gwpercle
04-26-2021, 04:20 PM
I love the sound of Cicada's. When I was a boy visiting my grandfather in the mid-50's in Osawatomie Kansas they were the background music to all my BB gun shooting and and catfish fishing and being with that glorious old man. Everytime I hear the cicadas I thing of him and all that that meant to me. I hope its a big hatch! My father was'nt that interested in teaching me any outdoor or firearm skills. Cicadas haven't been that prominent here in South Central Mississippi the 10 years I been here so far. Growing up in the greater Los Angeles area there were no night bugs to serenade us.

LIKE ! :drinks:
Gary

MT Gianni
04-26-2021, 05:30 PM
It still is nice to live where I don't need AC and never have heard or seen one of the super bugs.

LUCKYDAWG13
04-26-2021, 06:15 PM
I have been hit by them for many decades. I hear them singing at least 3/4 of my waking hours.
Yup from the time I wake up until I fall asleep sucks

higgins
04-27-2021, 02:56 PM
During a cicada hatch is the best fishing I've ever had. Go anywhere they are hitting the water and throw any kind of small surface or shallow running lure. If you're a fly rodder my friend tells me a large brown wooly bug works; last hatch he fished he wore himself and a couple of bugs out catching carp on a fly rod. A cicada hatch is the only time I've ever seen carp feed agressively, along with everything else.

scattershot
04-27-2021, 03:16 PM
Okay, how do you pronounce the name of this bug? Everywhere I go, it seems like it’s different.

mexicanjoe
04-27-2021, 04:42 PM
Cant remember the year but we had a cicada and grasshopper infestation...... the Mrs did not feed her herd(not flock) of chickens, ducks, geese and the ninjas of the fowl: her guinea hens loose!!!! I mean to tell you they laid waste to the bugs... One guinea hen was so full she couldnt hard fly!!! the battle lasted about 3 hours, with a tie being declared. The fowl were outnumbered and full of bugs, and the bugs just moved next door..... win-win

Idaho45guy
04-27-2021, 08:52 PM
Okay, how do you pronounce the name of this bug? Everywhere I go, it seems like it’s different.

I pronounce it and have only heard it pronounced as "Si-Kay-Duh". The first part is like "sit" but without the "T".

GhostHawk
04-27-2021, 09:18 PM
Up here in the north country I grew up hearing them called "June Bugs".

Did not ever really run into many until I tried camping out one night in about an 80 acre patch of oaks next to a nice lake.
Man those things were dive bombing my fire. Caught enough that I had some fine fishing the next morning.

They still sell copper june bug spinners up in this country.

We'd be about due I think.

38SuperAuto
04-29-2021, 09:07 PM
“Coincidence is God’s way of remaining anonymous.”

Nice quote