PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Lee .430 310 grain load data for .44 Magnum

BrianB
04-25-2021, 08:16 AM
I've seen various threads about .44 Magnum load data for this mold, but I can't find one that includes complete information. I have H110 powder, so what I need to know is a good starting load for hunting, which crimp groove to use and what type of primer. I'm just tumble lubing these in Liquid Alox and I'm gas checking them. Also, I'll be shooting these in a Henry single shot rifle. Thanks in advance.

44MAG#1
04-25-2021, 08:23 AM
Just curious, why not use the crimp groove for the "normal" length, use Hornady load data and work up yourself an accurate load. The KISS principle is a great principle to be aware of. I've used that bullet myself. Work up, watch for signs of pressure and look for accuracy.
It is simple. Oh, BTW 10 grains more weight is not important to be concerned about IF you WORK UP your load and generally isn't if you didn't work up.
Have fun doing this.

BrianB
04-25-2021, 08:29 AM
44MAG#1 Thanks. The reason I asked about the crimp groove is because in some threads I've read some folks are using the one closest to the nose and others are using the one second from the nose. I'd personally feel more comfortable keeping it at normal length.

racepres
04-25-2021, 09:22 AM
Brian
I use that boolit in my Contender, and I like to keep the jump minimum to the throat/rifling, so I use the Lower crimp groove.
I would see how much "freebore", or throat, you have in that Henry...and go by that.
I do not use H110 in my .44 tho..so Sorry bout that. My best load for accuracy, is Win LRP, with more than published amount of IMR 4227.
If I were You, I would Obtain a copy of the Sierra 3rd edition, of Handgun reloading guide.. They had plenty of loads, with H110 as I recall!!!

44MAG#1
04-25-2021, 09:30 AM
Hornady has plenty too.

RustyReel
04-25-2021, 10:55 AM
Deleted.

Mal Paso
04-25-2021, 11:31 AM
Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition used .429" Lead bullets for their testing. They must have been made special, most commercial cast is .430" and mine are .431". In my opinion it makes a difference.

waco
04-25-2021, 12:07 PM

oldcanadice
04-25-2021, 06:18 PM
The top crimp groove is for nominal 1.6" cartridge length that is needed to function in an unmodified Henry lever action rifle. In that length, 19.5 gr WW296 (same powder by a different designation) and old CCI pistol primers gives nice, full-pressure looking, but round-edged fired primers in my rifle. Velocity is a bit over 1400'/sec in the 20" barrel with 20" twist (new barrel version). I've considered modifying the Henry lifter so I could use the longer length because that would have a definite performance advantage. BTW: Don't go under 19.0 gr because cases start getting dirty with carbon so the powder isn't burning well at that point.

If the single shot will chamber them, I'd go with the longer 1.7" nominal cartridge length using the bottom groove. That would chamber in a long cylinder revolver (like a Ruger) as well as in your single shot (flexibility is good) and give you the extra powder space to use if you wanted to boost the load. At the longer length I'd increase the charge to 20.0 gr, which is getting a little warmer than I like for every day in my rifle but should be fine in yours.

FOR SURE: No matter what I've said or you happen to read, shoot ONE of whatever you finally decide on and look carefully at the resulting case. My primers are flat at 20.0 -- which seems to be an attribute of 296/110 -- and I've shot 20.5 where they are even flatter, but I'm personally very reluctant to commonly shoot primers that look like that. Other's mileage -- including yours -- may vary.

44MAG#1
04-25-2021, 06:31 PM
What I found out about loading longer than normal is this. Using the Hornady 300 grain XTP using CCI 350 mag primers, remington cases and Hodgdon H110 over the chronograph in a Ruger Super Blackhawk. Chronographed back to back. Using the same lots of everything it took 3 grains more H110 to get back to the same velocity as 19.5 grains gave me seated to 1.600 inches OAL. So seated out it took 22.5 grains H110 with the bullet seated out to equal 19.5 grains H110 with the bullet seated normal
Now I am sure there will be someone with doubt come along to pick apart what I have said. So be it.
I don't have thousands of dollars worth of testing equipment or degrees in higher education but this is what I have found trying to be as careful as possible in my testing.
This information may be used as seen fit.

Mr_Sheesh
04-25-2021, 08:05 PM
44Mag#1, the question I'd have is, did seating it out further give you better accuracy? If so, a bit more powder might be worth it?

44MAG#1
04-25-2021, 08:23 PM
I could tell no difference in accuracy. How much difference would one have to have to be able to tell a true difference in their shooting other than on the benchrest?
Again, as I am known for on here, small differences in benchrest accuracy will not show up in field shooting positions unless one is bordering on super, super good in field shooting positions this factoring in offhand shooting.
Most know my belief on this. Not to say there aren't some that good but they only come along once in a great, great while.
Let me give this analogy. Let's say you need 1000 dollars in a big way and I give you 100 dollars. That is a " help"correct? But you are still 900 dollars short. But I did "help" with my 100 dollars. Now if I had given you 800 dollars I "helped" right? So you see the difference in "help" versus "H E L P".

reloader28
04-26-2021, 03:41 PM
About half the guns Ive tried that boolit in wont work seated in the lower crimp groove. Most rugers seem to have a short chamber and would hit the shoulder (unless its just the ones Ive tried) so it was seated in the upper crimp groove. I prefer it seated long so I turn it over and size just the nose .429 to the crimp groove. Then I size the body of the boolit normally

My puma rifle will chamber it seated long but it is too long to feed out of the magazine so for that I have to seat it short.

oldcanadice
04-26-2021, 09:06 PM
44Mag#1: What was the barrel length of the Blackhawk, and have you ever checked that info out in a rifle-length barrel (18-20")? I'd sure like to know if that difference holds in a long barrel situation. As it is, a 310gr bullet at 1400+ is already roughly 3/4 of the original 45/70 carbine load, so any more falls into the category of "nice to have" in a rifle. Still; it might actually be nice to have if you are far away off in the boonies looking at a moose or a bear.

44MAG#1
04-26-2021, 09:38 PM
44Mag#1: What was the barrel length of the Blackhawk, and have you ever checked that info out in a rifle-length barrel (18-20")? I'd sure like to know if that difference holds in a long barrel situation. As it is, a 310gr bullet at 1400+ is already roughly 3/4 of the original 45/70 carbine load, so any more falls into the category of "nice to have" in a rifle. Still; it might actually be nice to have if you are far away off in the boonies looking at a moose or a bear.

No, I don't know about a rifle under the same circumstances. The SBH has a 4.625 inch barrel.
I am relating what I found out on testing with a Hornady 300 XTP seated short compared to seated long in a Ruger 44 Magnum SBH.
I am sure something, or someone,, could come along to make me wrong.
If a person has a rifle and a chronograph they could do a test shooting back to back with the same components of the same lot numbers and find out.
I do not have a 44 Magnum rifle.
As I have said many times when looking at tests by anyone that nothing is written in stone.

oldcanadice
04-27-2021, 01:52 PM
44Mag#1 Thank you.

ddixie884
04-28-2021, 11:46 PM
Way to go waco. That is giving a friend a hand........

44MAG#1
04-29-2021, 06:44 AM
Way to go waco. That is giving a friend a hand........

I have the same book too.

lar45
04-30-2021, 09:58 PM
If you are going to shoot in very cold weather, I would suggest using a mag primer. Don't start to low on your workup. H110 does not like to be light loaded. It can fail to burn and lodge the bullet in the barrel. It's not fun trying to pound the bullet back into the case on a revolver. Your's is a rifle so it wouldn't be too bad. Don't load below 90% load density. If you need to load lighter, try a different powder.