PDA

View Full Version : Ramshot TAC?

LIMPINGJ
12-31-2008, 06:11 PM
I was looking at the burn rate chart on the Ramshot site and see TAC listed next to H4895. When I looked at prices I can get TAC for about $20 less than the H4895. Has anyone used Tac in place of 4895 and how did it work? Also do you know if TAC's burn rate is compatable with the Garand gas system?

skeet1
12-31-2008, 06:19 PM
Limpingj,
I don't know about TAC but a while back I made inquirers to Ramshot about which of their powders would be suitable for the Garand. This was their reply.

Ken,
Our Big Game is a very good choice for the Garand.
HUNTER is too slow burning and might cause problems.
I am attaching the published information.
This data is also available on our website www.ramshot.com
NB!!!! Always start at the minimum or “START” charge and gradually (2% increments) work up towards the “Maximum load”.
Note: It will be a .pdf file -- (Adobe-Acrobat) If you do not have it yet, you can download Acrobat Reader 7 or later version (Available Free), from the website www.adobe.com to view it

Thanks for your interest in our powders.
We appreciate your business and interest!!
Regards
Johan Loubser
Ballistician
Ramshot/Accurate Powders
Tel: (406) 234 04 22 email: johan@ramshot.com
Western Powders Inc -- Miles City – Montana.

cbr
12-31-2008, 06:58 PM
I have been wondering about this as well and if Tac was a good powder for cast loads. I tried 3 rounds of 25 grains of Tac in my 30-30 behind a 170 grain lee FPGC bullet yesterday and noticed quite a bit of unburnt powder in my barrel. Accuracy was so-so. Havent had a chance to play with it any more as I am buisy changing diapers and feeding our newborn. Nobody told me how much they eat and poop!

Bigdogcrise
12-31-2008, 07:32 PM
Limpingj,
I cannot speak as to whether or not the TAC will work in the Garand gas system, but I do use TAC in place of H335 and H4895 for both my AR's and my FAL's. It delivers a slightly higher velocity-about 10% in some cases but the accuracy is about par with my loads in H4895. I just started to look into casting and can't really comment on whether or not it would work for cast bullets well.

timkelley
12-31-2008, 11:51 PM
CBR, it gets even better when GOD puts da smell in da poop.[smilie=s: