PDA

View Full Version : Selling Ammunition

wch
04-24-2021, 08:45 AM
What must I do to sell ammunition on line or on an auction site?
I know this question has been asked before but I never paid attention to the answers.
Hazmat for sure and UPS or FedEx, I think; fill in the gaps for me, please.

sureYnot
04-24-2021, 09:04 AM
Joe Public can't ship hazmat.

Multra
04-24-2021, 09:07 AM
Complete ammunition you made? FFL06, no hazmat fee, just orm-D sticker.
Complete ammunition you bought and don't want anymore? Just orm-D sticker.
USPS won't ship ammo.

Wheelguns 1961
04-24-2021, 09:07 AM
Loaded ammo does not need to go hazmat. Packaged properly, with the proper stickers, ups will ground ship ammo.

JonB_in_Glencoe
04-24-2021, 09:10 AM
it depends on exactly what you are doing?
re-selling factory ammo?
selling reloaded ammo?
is it a one time thing?
or are you setting up a business?

if a business, then don't forget about sales tax and Excise tax ;)

HumptyDumpty
04-24-2021, 09:38 AM
UPS (https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/hazardous-materials/shipping-ammunition.page)makes it easy. Just note that ORM-D is the old label. I still receive packages with that marking from time to time, but going forward you are supposed to use the Limited-Quantity marking. An example is on the UPS page, and I usually just print that out. They specify approximately 4"x4", but I've used much smaller ones on little boxes. My hub has never made an issue of it. Ow, and that's another thing, you can only send ammo from an actual UPS hub/customer service center, not a UPS store. Those are franchise locations, and operate under a bunch of other rules. I've not used FedEx for ammo.

Huskerguy
04-24-2021, 09:44 AM
I sold an odd caliber I had laying around and it was a piece of cake. I packed it well took it to my local UPS place, told them exactly what it was and they took it from there. You could even take it to them I am guessing and they will pack it for you. It was not a big deal.

Smoke4320
04-24-2021, 09:56 AM
If you are selling factory ammo you no longer need/want . Ship it USP with O-RMD Sticker .. You can hand draw one .. its acceptable.
If reloading and selling you will need an 06 FFL and a very hefty insurance policy

Stewbaby
04-24-2021, 11:04 AM
If you are selling factory ammo you no longer need/want . Ship it USP with O-RMD Sticker .. You can hand draw one .. its acceptable.
If reloading and selling you will need an 06 FFL and a very hefty insurance policy

O-RMD ended December 31st. It has to be labeled ‘limited quantity’ and marked with the diamond.

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/hazardous-materials/ground-limited.page

Info on O-RMD sunset:

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/hazardous-materials/ground-orm-d.page

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210424/8fa4a777668f1977af3da272ad1d965d.jpg

wch
04-24-2021, 11:15 AM
it depends on exactly what you are doing?
re-selling factory ammo?
selling reloaded ammo?
is it a one time thing?
or are you setting up a business?

if a business, then don't forget about sales tax and Excise tax ;)

Reselling factory ammo, no business involved.

fatelk
04-24-2021, 12:01 PM
you can only send ammo from an actual UPS hub/customer service center, not a UPS store

Mostly true: you have to take it to the hub, OR you can sign up for an online UPS account (easy to do), print your labels from home, and hand the box directly to a UPS driver. The closest hub here is an hour away, so I just asked the local UPS store what time the truck shows up. I showed up at the same time and handed it to the driver. No problem, quick and easy.

Rizzo
04-24-2021, 01:54 PM
What must I do to sell ammunition on line or on an auction site?
I know this question has been asked before but I never paid attention to the answers.
Hazmat for sure and UPS or FedEx, I think; fill in the gaps for me, please.
It is not stated where you are from, but if you are in California for instance, it is a whole different situation.
Best to check your state law on this.