PDA

View Full Version : Accurate mold quality

sixgunner452
04-23-2021, 03:56 PM
I am considering a new mold purchase, and would appreciate everyone's input. I know Accurate makes a good mold. I know they offer more more designs. I know the will make a mold to my specs. How are Accurate molds better than say, NOE, or Arsenal molds? I.E., materials, mold design, etc, to justify their price? That is, unless you require a specific design that they only offer. Many thanks, Randy.

wddodge
04-23-2021, 04:21 PM
I have quite a few Lee molds, 3 NOE and 1 Accurate. In my limited experience, NOE and Accurate are both fine molds that work with no frustrations. Lee molds work if you don't mind giving them a whack now and then. I would not hesitate to buy from either NOE or Accurate again. Both are a work of art.

Denny

Burnt Fingers
04-23-2021, 04:27 PM
Accurate, MP, Arsenal, and NOE are all great molds. I doubt most people could tell them apart if they were blindfolded.

I have molds from all four.

Valley-Shooter
04-23-2021, 04:31 PM
Accurate moulds are great.
I like way you can add a Sprue Cutter Handle like Lee 6- cavity moulds have.
I only have 2 of their moulds and I'm ready to buy more when I need them.
I also have all the other brands.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

sixgunner452
04-23-2021, 05:18 PM
I was unaware of the option for a Sprue Cutter Handle like Lee 6- cavity moulds. Sounds sweet. I have always liked the way lee 6 banger molds cut sprues. Thanks, to all. Randy.

dh2
04-23-2021, 07:04 PM
My first experience with Tom at Accurate was a very good, the first time I ordered a custom mold I told the catalog number that I want and the diameter my boar slugged at. when the mold arrived a bit I cast and sized them, a bit of load development and it is punching a group less than 1 inch at yards. since then I have ordered more from him, I have many NOE molds not preforming quite as well as Accurate but did make me give up on Lee and rethink some others RCBS and Lyman, and With MP molds I have been happy I still have a few of them in load development, to see what I can get out of them.

toallmy
04-23-2021, 07:23 PM
I'm saving my dream 45acp mold for Tom to be cut in hard metal .

Divil
04-23-2021, 07:27 PM
I have owned 3 accurate moulds and like them better than RCBS, SAECO or Lyman. I only sold my 45-185-O because I don’t shoot .45 anymore. My Iron 36-127-Q and Iron 36-140–O are excellent and cast beautiful bullets. I hope to add another half dozen accurate moulds to my collection.

Tar Heel
04-23-2021, 07:30 PM
Accurate molds are fantastic. I have both aluminum and brass molds from Tom. Specs are TIGHT and the mold will throw bullets at the specified diameter and weight for a specific alloy. Order to ship is minimal time and quality of the molds is old school.

sixgunner452
04-23-2021, 08:56 PM
OK. I get it. He makes a great mold. I will have to get me one soon. Thanks, Randy.

Outpost75
04-23-2021, 11:12 PM
NOE molds are fine and I have several and no issues with them. But I have more than twice as many Accurate molds, over 20 of them, as I do lots of experimental design work, and Tom has always been very helpful.

I would have no reservations recommending either one.

If you want a "one-off" brain fart mold to test your pet theory of the week Tom Ellis is your "go-to" guy.

sixgunner452
04-23-2021, 11:30 PM
Outpost75, message received. An endorsement from you is all that is needed. Thanks to all, Randy.

Teemu
04-24-2021, 01:29 AM
My opinion is that Accurate is one of the best mold makers. I have about 20-25 of those molds.

Good Cheer
04-24-2021, 09:54 AM
Another thumbs up for Accurate.
Add to that how Tom works with people to get them what they want and shazzam, how could it get any better?

Smoke4320
04-24-2021, 03:19 PM
very good Molds. Accurate, NOE and MP are all top of the line.
Tom is also an honest and understanding person.
I got some bad info from someone and ordered a mold based on that info . Found out before the mold was made. sent him an email
he refunded my money within 2 hrs

DHDeal
04-24-2021, 07:08 PM
I only have Accurate aluminum and MP brass handgun molds. When I cast with the MP's, I'm positive they are the finest handgun molds I could want to own. Then I need some more RNFP's and install one of the Accurate Molds on handles and I'm positive they are the finest handgun molds I could want to own.

Now my experience isn't close to other guys here by a long shot but I see no need to try any other makers molds. Both drop great accurate bullets quickly. I have at least 10 of each (that's where that money must have went).

bigboredad
04-25-2021, 08:30 PM
If customer service is important there is none better than Tom. If you know what you want to do but don't know how to get there Tom is patient and very very knowledgeable and will help decide what is best then draw it and show you upon your acceptance he will put in the catalog and you will receive the finest mold made. His molds do not require you to heat cycle to properly function you receive the mold add handles and start casting. Before shipping he puts the mold into a sonic cleaner so there is no scrubbing and cleaning you just start casting.

I've strayed a couple times and every single time I kick myself for not getting the best. Personally for customer service the speed you receive it and being the only true one off custom mold maker I feel his prices are easily justified. Like I said every single time I've strayed I've been very unhappy. He may be a bit more but it is easily twice the mold

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

cowboy4evr
05-01-2021, 04:55 PM
I have numerous molds from Accurate Molds and they all are great . I also heartily endorse Veral Smith @ LBT Molds . I have more of Verals molds than any others , I like them that much . Regards Paul

Roger Kehr
05-04-2021, 05:52 PM
I recently purchased an Accurate mold from Tom. I haven't shot the bullets yet, but quality of mold seems top flight and dims are spot on.

Taco Belly
09-19-2021, 10:26 AM
One more 5-star rating for Accurate Molds and Tom...I've been replacing NOE molds with Tom's. The Accurate molds have proven (to me) to cast exceptional bullets and are easier to use (sprue plate) as well...I just emailed him some specs for a 9mm mold Wednesday, he added it to the catalog within 24 hours! The last Accurate mold took 2-3 weeks. Takes a bit to break them in, but after 2 or 3 times bringing to temperature, they are great to work with!

Tar Heel
09-19-2021, 03:42 PM
Excellent molds!

John Boy
09-19-2021, 06:33 PM
There is only one mold maker that cuts a customized quality mold and have it at your door in less than a week or two. I have sent several original bullets from rare Ideal molds to Tom, had the 1st old back in a week it cast drop dead bullets, completely filled out with bases one could ‘shave with’
Plus his inventory mold catalog is akin to a Sears & Roebuck catalog … and no one has a larger inventory of small to large caliber mold designs

Wag
09-19-2021, 06:42 PM
First mold I bought was a 230gr rn in .45 for the .45 ACP loads I was working.

Boolits dropped:

- perfectly round. No sizing required.
- within a half grain or so of the 230gr I was looking for.
- shooting accuracy/consistency was excellent with a Sig p220

I have no complaints.

--Wag--

Woodtroll
09-19-2021, 07:43 PM
I just ordered yet another mold from Tom/Accurate. Unfortunately his website says he is backlogged about 10 weeks right now, but I'm certain it will be worth the wait. And like others have already said, if you can't tweak an existing mold to get exactly what you want, then he'll work with you to get you what you want.

Good luck!

swamp
09-19-2021, 09:59 PM
I received my new mold Sat. Beautiful as always. Cast with it this morning, mostly to see what it liked. Cast really nice and to specs. Have not had any problems at all with his molds. Highly recommend.
swamp

Greg G
09-20-2021, 02:02 AM
Tom at Accurate Molds is the best! The rest compete for second place.

Moonie
09-22-2021, 10:16 PM
I have quite a few Accurate molds from Tom, he makes great molds, my preference in non HP molds. My 375 Hurt&Hurt and 450 400 Nitro Express both shoot Accurate Molds boolits.

Bengal
10-13-2021, 01:01 AM
I realize I'm only reiterating the consensus, but I have something close to three dozen molds in Lee, Lyman, RCBS, NOE, and Accurate flavors, and Accurate is the only one of the bunch that's always been satisfactory.

jaysouth
10-14-2021, 01:24 AM
I quit looking at the NOE website because they never have what I want in stock. Good molds but unobtainable. Accurate and Arsenal make excellent molds to order and ship in days.