PDA

View Full Version : 45 auto shot-powders

SWANEEDB
04-23-2021, 03:54 PM
Am doing some shot loads using cut down 308 brass, need a little help on powder loads not using the 410 wads, tried AA-2, friend test fired thought they were a little weak @ 5gr, have some Vihtavuori N320 but have not yet tried, have 231 coming (sometime). Using #9 shot to start off with. Have looked all over (I think) but seems I can find none or very little info on not using the 410 wads. HELP !!!!

BUCKEYE BANDIT
04-23-2021, 05:50 PM
SWANEEDB , 231 is the ticket !! , when you say "not using 410 wads , do you mean using a nitro card only??.

SWANEEDB
04-23-2021, 07:34 PM
SWANEEDB , 231 is the ticket !! , when you say "not using 410 wads , do you mean using a nitro card only??.

Right, card over powder, card over shot. Think it would be the same setup as CCI.

BUCKEYE BANDIT
04-23-2021, 08:02 PM
Never tried it that way, sure could get a larger shot load.

Mk42gunner
04-24-2021, 06:53 PM
I've always used 231 and a .410 wad. I have used different thing for the over shot case closing card though.

231 has worked for all except the latest round made with SIG .308 brass, and even then the loads had plenty of power; the brass just acted soft. I need to get back to that project.

Robert

Dale53
04-26-2021, 12:49 AM
A number of years ago, I experimented extensively with shot cartridges. I mostly used the Speer shot capsules. One thing I did learn is that #12 shot worked best at the ranges we need for snake protection. At ranges that a rattlesnake, as a for instance, is dangerous, the #12 shot gives a considerably better pattern and will literally shred a snake's head. I often encountered rattlesnakes in the mountains in Kentucky and Tennessee in rough rocky country. The fine shot did not bounce back at me like solid projectiles could and did. Further, when canoeing and kayaking in the streams in the mountains, the fine shot worked better when confronted with water moccasins.

FWIW
Dale53

MostlyLeverGuns
04-26-2021, 11:45 AM
I have been using the Speer Shot capsules in .38, .44, and .45. I use Hp38/231 in all of them. I have #11 shot and find the patterns for rattlers much better than #9 or bigger. The #11 always seems to put a few pellets in the brain shutting them down completely while the #9's stop them but sometimes they aren't lifeless for a little while.

TNsailorman
04-26-2021, 03:54 PM
The water moccasin the my "dread" snake. My Dad, Uncle and I use to fish for trout fairly high up in the mountains in East Tennessee and Soutwest Virginia. You seldom saw one of those critters high up but once in a while you would run into one. Once we located one we tried to make sure he/she did not live to breed. Back in those days you could not carry a hand gun in either state, so we were left using rocks and sticks. I have some factory Remington .45ACP shot loads but since I cannot replace them, I am saving them for poison snakes which I haven't seen in some time now. I may have to look into getting set up to load some .38 Special or .45ACP loads for vermin. I have reloading since the late 50's but never pistol shot loads. I am always looking to try some new reloading wrinkle and maybe that will be a winter project thhis year. Thanks for the info you guys are spitting out on this forum. james

Alferd Packer
04-26-2021, 11:38 PM
As handloaders you are free to experiment.
If you get a chance, read gearnasher's thread in the sticky at the top of this page.
He knows what he's talking about IMHO