PDA

View Full Version : Is Remington ammo being made again?

nagantguy
04-23-2021, 03:21 PM
So I know the brands-components and names of various Remington products have been bought by others like Ruger acquired Marlin .
In my local store the other day I was surprised to see more ammo than usual on the shelf, .243, 308 .22 and more 12 and 20 gauge offerings than I’ve seen in a while.
What caught my eye was Remington thunderbolts in bulk 500 round loose packs, and even more surprising is it was around $9 per 500. I don’t remember thunderduds coming in loose 500 round bulk- in 500 round bulk in individual 50 round boxes yes.
All one lot number on the packs I bought . Have a new 22 to break in and didn’t want to use my CCIs to sight in and let my daughter and nephew blast all they want so I figured I’d try the “new” thunderbolts. And this wasn’t a gun shop but a box store so probly not “new” “old” stock someone sold or traded in like may happen at a real gun shop.
Interested to here If anyone else has seen Remington ammo being delivered by the new owners? And if it’s better or at least as “good” as the old thunderduds.
I’ll report back when I e had a chance to run some.
I do remember as a teenager thunderbolts being cheap and easy to get at local hardware store and we shot lots of them killing rats coons woodchucks and such on the farm, I don’t remember them being junk back then but the last few years they’ve been terrible in my experience- dirty inconsistent and a few duds per box. I’m hopping for better with these.

white eagle
04-23-2021, 03:38 PM
Hope not they make junk

jim147
04-23-2021, 03:44 PM
They are supposed to have the Arkansas plant up and running full blast with new or rebuilt tooling.

zarrinvz24
04-23-2021, 04:08 PM
I’ve had surprisingly good results with the thunderbolts in my cz’s.

nagantguy
04-23-2021, 04:21 PM
These boxes have an Arkansas address so just maybe possibly new manufacture?

beshears
04-23-2021, 04:24 PM
I saw Remington 22 lr in plastic boxes in LGS last week.

Adam20
04-23-2021, 04:48 PM
Vista outdoors bought out remington ammo,
Vista owns a lot of company's, federal ammo, cci, speer. way to many to list.
https://vistaoutdoor.com/brands/

What store did you find them at

nagantguy
04-23-2021, 06:12 PM
The walmarts of all places.
Everything else on the shelves was federal in various flavors. That could mean something or not. I love a good mystery.

panhed65
04-23-2021, 06:38 PM
I keep getting emails from Remington Ammo claiming they are running, but have yet to see any on the shelves. but other ammo is starting to show up again at the local gunstore, and some bullets and powder.
Barry

BrutalAB
04-23-2021, 07:05 PM
Saw some remington 30/06 at walmart yesterday. Also had winchester. Federal and cci 22s.

Ive been there when they unbox, they arent getting much in at a time. Less than 10 boxes across all brands and calibers.

farmbif
04-24-2021, 07:59 AM
this story says the old Remington plant in Arkansas is running at full tilt. I think its a good thing. I have no idea if this is where they make primers but hopefully they will produce the same consistent primers of days gone by.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/aaronsmith/2021/02/04/bullet-sales-are-booming-as-vista-brings-remington-factory-online/?sh=14fcc6f97f87

nagantguy
04-24-2021, 04:55 PM
Well I got an email to today from ammo depot - and they had Remington ammo for sale, 223,308 and I think 30-06 ,email said new delivery so unless it’s been tucked away in a wearhouse somewhere for a year or so it must be new?

lightman
04-24-2021, 09:10 PM
The Arkansas Plant is just up the road from where I live. I go by there quite often. During most of December the parking lot was mostly vacant. Then after Christmas we started seeing cars there again.

I called a buddy that works there and he told me that they are up and running as fast as they can but were slightly limited by lack of raw materials. I didn't think to ask him if this was due to the previous owners financial problems or if it was a supply train problem.

My Buddy also said that they were going to hire or call back up to 300 employees. Thats good news for the area. They were one of the better paying jobs in the area.

NyFirefighter357
04-24-2021, 09:17 PM
"Thunder Duds"

NyFirefighter357
04-25-2021, 09:49 PM
LGS had Thunder Duds today $79/500. I told him what I read here & he said they must be miss marked.

trails4u
04-25-2021, 09:57 PM
Hope not they make junk

Suppose that depends on your definition of junk..... Not any one of the deer I ever killed (back before I loaded my own) believed them to be junk. And beyond that, in today's market.....if you're not a handloader, I'd expect those folks to be dang happy to see it on the shelf.

reloader28
04-26-2021, 09:47 AM
I still have several 500rd boxes of Thunderbolts and have had darn good luck with them.
The worst 22ammo I have ever had was Winchester. Nothing has ever came close to how bad that was

Gator 45/70
04-26-2021, 12:14 PM
My 10/22 hates the Thunderjammers

jim147
04-26-2021, 02:10 PM
I still have two bricks of thunderbolts I haven't opened. They are from the '90's. I'm still shooting old coast to coast and federals that are older.

BigAlofPa.
04-26-2021, 02:47 PM
I saw Remington ammo at Dunhams. They even had 220 swift. 9.00 bricks? Boy i miss them days. It was 9.00-11.00 before the last ''shortage''

Scrounge
04-26-2021, 02:55 PM
So I know the brands-components and names of various Remington products have been bought by others like Ruger acquired Marlin .
In my local store the other day I was surprised to see more ammo than usual on the shelf, .243, 308 .22 and more 12 and 20 gauge offerings than I’ve seen in a while.
What caught my eye was Remington thunderbolts in bulk 500 round loose packs, and even more surprising is it was around $9 per 500. I don’t remember thunderduds coming in loose 500 round bulk- in 500 round bulk in individual 50 round boxes yes.
All one lot number on the packs I bought . Have a new 22 to break in and didn’t want to use my CCIs to sight in and let my daughter and nephew blast all they want so I figured I’d try the “new” thunderbolts. And this wasn’t a gun shop but a box store so probly not “new” “old” stock someone sold or traded in like may happen at a real gun shop.
Interested to here If anyone else has seen Remington ammo being delivered by the new owners? And if it’s better or at least as “good” as the old thunderduds.
I’ll report back when I e had a chance to run some.
I do remember as a teenager thunderbolts being cheap and easy to get at local hardware store and we shot lots of them killing rats coons woodchucks and such on the farm, I don’t remember them being junk back then but the last few years they’ve been terrible in my experience- dirty inconsistent and a few duds per box. I’m hopping for better with these.

I got an email a few days ago that said they were back in business producing ammo. I thought. Maybe I dreamed it, as I can't find it now.

Gone_rabid
04-26-2021, 03:41 PM
I was at a LGS the other week and they had just gotten a case of Remington range 9mm. I had to really look at it as I didn’t know they were back up and running. They had them for $26/box of 50. It’s been the cheapest I’ve seen anywhere locally. Only one other place has had any instock and it was $35.

shooterg
04-30-2021, 10:31 PM
Hope they bring back the subsonic. It worked well - liked it for the grandson's shooting as it was so quiet that I could let him shoot w/o muffs so he would hear instructions .

panhed65
05-01-2021, 06:40 PM
last visit to the local gunshop, there were maybe 25 boxes of Remington bulk 22lr on the shelf. given the state of things I assume there are newly made. did not ask a price, as I have more .22lr than I will ever need, but last time bulk showed up there, the price was like normal a couple of years ago.
Barry

myg30
05-01-2021, 09:15 PM
Can’t remember how long ago but those 500 rd thunder duds and Rem 325 pks were $13.95 and $15.95 at Wally World.
I do think the thunder bolts were dirty and a few (<15) duds per box.

Mike

brassrat
05-01-2021, 09:59 PM
I found a nice box of .243 at Wallyworld today in the middle of the city

Cargo
05-01-2021, 10:07 PM
We picked up three bricks of Remington Thunderbolts last week at chinamart.

Gone_rabid
05-01-2021, 11:08 PM
I’ve never had very good luck with thunderbolts and wouldn’t buy any of them. I understand get what you can get right now but man they were junk with not firing.

Any of you try the new ones yet? Are they any better?

3006guns
05-01-2021, 11:40 PM
This is NOT related to the present thread or situation, but......it concerns Remington .22 ammo that was packed in those little yellow plastic boxes with the slide out tray.

Many moons ago....maybe 1982 or so....I bought a full case of Remington .22's from our local hardware store. Almost every one of those blasted things refused to extract from my Remington 514 single shot, which I've owned since childhood. An examination of a fired case showed the rim to be "blown out" to an almost comical balloon shape. After diagnosing everything, it turns out that the case material was so thin (cheap) that the rim expanded in the extractor slot, and the extractor hook simply rode over the rim......leaving the case in the chamber and a mystified owner.

So, I have to ask myself, which is worse........a round that doesn't extract, or one that just won't go "bang"? Hopefully, that problem has been rectified since I've shunned Remington ammo for years.

Scrounge
05-02-2021, 01:23 AM
Don't know if this is a reliable source, but: https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2021/04/16/remington-ammunition-back-full-swing/

Sasquatch-1
05-02-2021, 08:25 AM
I have a 514. Great little rifle but it won't extract anything. I have to keep a knife on the bench to pull the shells out.

Murphy
05-02-2021, 02:08 PM
It's good to see Remington is back online producing ammunition. I'm sure more than a few people are happy to find anything at this point and time. It's a rare occasion for me to purchase factory ammunition. After all, this site is dedicated to making our own, right?

Thunderbolt .22's. It's been many years since I've used them. I do remember a time 40 years ago they suited my purposes just fine. Of course over the years, I tried new things and different rimfire .22 rimfire ammunition by various makers. Let's hope the newer Thunderbolts are more reliable than some have experienced.

Murphy

shooterg
05-03-2021, 11:45 AM
This is NOT related to the present thread or situation, but......it concerns Remington .22 ammo that was packed in those little yellow plastic boxes with the slide out tray.

Many moons ago....maybe 1982 or so....I bought a full case of Remington .22's from our local hardware store. Almost every one of those blasted things refused to extract from my Remington 514 single shot, which I've owned since childhood. An examination of a fired case showed the rim to be "blown out" to an almost comical balloon shape. After diagnosing everything, it turns out that the case material was so thin (cheap) that the rim expanded in the extractor slot, and the extractor hook simply rode over the rim......leaving the case in the chamber and a mystified owner.

So, I have to ask myself, which is worse........a round that doesn't extract, or one that just won't go "bang"? Hopefully, that problem has been rectified since I've shunned Remington ammo for years.

I think 100% the Remington brass was thinner - I preferred 'em for swaging 53 gr. bullets , the thin jackets made 'em very frangible on impact . A few groundhogs looked like they swallowed a baseball and it almost came out ! CCI and Federal were thicker . Liked the Winchester Super X just because the finished bullet had that "X" on the base !

Geezer in NH
05-06-2021, 04:26 PM
Can’t remember how long ago but those 500 rd thunder duds and Rem 325 pks were $13.95 and $15.95 at Wally World.
I do think the thunder bolts were dirty and a few (<15) duds per box.

Mike95 per hundred worked but from none available = 100% did not fire. Look at the bright side.