PDA

View Full Version : New Gear and Book(s)

Ugly Dwarf
12-31-2008, 03:11 PM
Ok, I've been reading a bunch and am about to buy the foundation for my casting setup.

I'm planning to go with the following items, but would be interested in some feedback on my choices.

For background, I've been reloading with jacketed bullets (rifle and pistol - perhaps 10 different calibers) on a Dillon 550B for about 15 years. I'm now looking to get into casting on a low budget, while buying 'good enough' equipment to not require I upgrade anything in the near future. I currently have a propane turkey fryer and cast iron dutch oven that I've been using to make ingots out of WW scrounged from local sources.

Manual - I've got the Lyman Reloading Manual (#47) already. Is there any reason to get the Lyman Casting Handbook too? From what I've been able to find at this site, the Casting Handbook has more load data, but contains the same information in regards to the "Casting Process". Are there any other manuals that do a 'deeper dive' into the process that I should consider a 'must have'? Obviously, I'll be using this site as a reference as well.
Furnace - I'm planning to get the Lee Pro 4 20 (bottom pour) Furnace. By all accounts I've read, this is a good to great way to start, at a low price point.
Sizing - I've been planning to go with the Lee Sizers in each caliber I cast.
Press - I'm planning to get a Lee 4 Hole Turret Press, so I can have each sizing die in one turret (I don't expect to size for more than four calibers in the near future, and I figure I can always add more turrets if needed). As an added benefit, I also plan to use this for some 'single stage' reloading functions like depriming, bullet pulling, sizing prior to trimming, etc...
Molds / Moulds - I'm leaning towards 6 cavity Lee molds (are you sensing a theme here?). To start, I'm looking at loading for my .357 Mag and .45 ACP (Glock, but I'll be getting an aftermarket barrel since I understand the polygonal rifling doesn't like lead). Eventually, I will be casting for .44 Mag and .30 Carbine (Blackhawk). I also plan to cast for my .35 Remington (Marlin 336 Microgroove), but will probably need to go with 2 cavity RCBS or Lyman molds for that. Any bullet styles / designs to stay away from, or is that mostly a matter of personal preference?
Thermometer - I'm all about "inexpensive and works well", but it looks like I'll be going with the RCBS thermometer. The reviews I've read about the Lyman suggests it has some quality control, accuracy and longevity issues. For the extra $15 ($45 vs. $30), I'd rather not need to send it back for repairs, or replace it in a year. Any other suggestions on inexpensive thermometers that work well and last?
Lube - I've been planning to use Lee Liquid Alox.

I think that's it. Am I missing anything? Is there anything on my list that seems like a waste or that I should reconsider?

Thank you for your input.

Dwarf

ETA - Flux - I've already placed an order for some of PatMarlins CFF.

copdills
12-31-2008, 04:19 PM
sounds like a PLAN good luck

IcerUSA
12-31-2008, 05:04 PM
Books , I got all 3 , the 2 Lyman's and the Lee , they all have good info in them .

Take a look at Ranch Dog's site for your 35 Rem , his link is at the bottom of the page .

Do a search for thermometers as there are some out there that are good and at reasonable prices .

Look in the stickies for lubes or a search for same , all kinds of lube and don't forget to check out Lar's stuff also , link at the bottom of the page also .

Otherwise it looks like you have it covered for awhile..............maybe . LOL

Welcome to the site and good casting to ya .

Keith

RayinNH
12-31-2008, 05:42 PM
Dwarf, no problems with your selections. Personally I would reconsider the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual #3 even though it is woefully outdated ( some powders no longer available). The information contained therein is worth the price of admission. In my roughly 35 years of casting I have never used a thermometer nor a hardness tester, others on this site would never be without. Enjoy your new sickness for which there is no cure.[smilie=w:...Ray

GSM
12-31-2008, 06:30 PM
Containers for the new bullets & a decent set of thin gloves.

Ugly Dwarf
12-31-2008, 06:52 PM
Keith,

I came across Ranch Dog's site yesterday, but couldn't think of the name when I wrote this up (funny that he's a sponsor and has a link at the bottom - that should make it easier to find).

Keith and Ray,

You both suggest the Cast Bullet Handbook in addition to the full reloading book by Lyman.

Does it include background on casting that is not covered in the full reloading book? I thought I'd read the difference was only in the Load Tables (a good thing to have, but not necessary for the casting portion). Just wondering.

GSM,

Good point about the containers. I was planning to use ziplock baggies in batches of 100, but something reusable (and stronger) is probably a good idea.

For my hands, I have some welding gloves I use in the smelt, leather work gloves for more dexterity while pouring (and sorting WW) and I was planning to use nitrile gloves for sizing and lubing.

All, thanks for your input. I should get this moving in the next week if not today.

dubber123
01-01-2009, 06:23 AM
Try some cast in your Glock before you spend the money on an aftermarket barrel.
There are quite a few Glock cast shooters at the club, and most if not all use the factory barrel with good results. Have fun.

01-01-2009, 09:12 AM
+1 on the Ranch Dog mould. Made specifically for your rifle. Also, bull plate lube for use on your moulds. The 6 cavities make some fine boolits. I have a bunch but really prefer the two cavity. That is purely personal and no reflection on the 6'ers. (Well, actually I guess it is, but there you have it.)

Steelshooter
01-01-2009, 09:48 AM
Dwarf
I don't know if the lee turret press will hold up sizing bullets, unless you are barely sizing them. A O frame press is what you need.
Good luck
Chuck

cajun shooter
01-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Your choices will get you started but will not pass the have to update test. Go and use search on this site and read the postings on the Lee pots. About 4 months ago. They are IMHO a PITA. All depends on what you consider your time in casting worth. I had a 4-20 let go with a full pot of very hot lead. Not a favorite moment.I wrote Lee and advised them that they might want to look into the design of this part. The answer I received was a new pot.

opentop
01-01-2009, 07:44 PM
Storage containers for cast boolits..............I use coffee cans, butter bowls and what ever else I can find.

Calehedron
01-01-2009, 08:26 PM
I order lots of chinese food that comes in nice black plastic rectangular containers and clear lids. I also have LOTS of Ziploc bowls of all sizes for brass and bullets and they stack well. I am debating on going the Akro Bin route with a roll around rack but I will have to kick my wifes car out of the garage for that.

As for books, you cant have enough resources for info. Check the local library or used book stores. Most paper backs are under $20 new from the major outlets.

I use a Rockchucker Supreme single for all my reloading. Dont have the need to go progressive just yet, if I reload too fast I will look for more to do. I am buying a fully decked out Star later this month and I have a Lyman 4500 and 450 for now, 1 with hard and 1 with soft lube.

I started with the 4-20 and Production Pot IV. I removed all the bottom pour rigging on the 4-20 and now ladle cast. It just works better for me, dont know why. My IV is now pure lead for jigs and sinkers.

I have no experience with Lee moulds yet, but I am in on 2 group buys for the 500S&W. I use all Lyman right now. The Lee should serve you well if you care for them properly from what I have learned here.

Other than that, ask lots of questions here if you run into anything you cant figure out on your own. There is a plethora of knowledge here and I doubt there is a situation that hasnt happened to someone else already.

Happy Casting!