PDA

View Full Version : .357 MAX Rifle Progress

Jim22
04-20-2021, 08:00 PM
I have been working on cast boolit loads for my Henry steel single shot that started as a .357 Mag. It's now a .357 MAX thanks to David White of Oklahoma. He has had a lot of good luck with this cartridge in rifles and so have I. 180 grain J-boolits can easily rival those in a .35 Remington. I have been trying 200 gr. cast boolits from Lee. They are gas checked and I have been using Carnauba Red lube. I have a number of three shot groups under an inch at 100 yds. Most loads give bigger groups but the number of sub-MOA groups makes me hopeful. I haven't done any chronographing with lead boolits but will. I am looking for about 2,000 fps with the 200's.

Today I tried some of Lee's 158 gr gas check boolits. Same lube, Lyman #2 alloy. I dunno but either I was pushing them too fast for the rifle or they need more testing. It reminded me that my goal was 2k with 200 grains. Don't know how I got side tracked.

Rather than fooling with the 158's I will concentrate on refining the 200 grain loads until I find one I like. I'll re-try the loads that gave MOA and work a grain or two either side. Then Chrono. The Lee 200 Gain GC has a nice wide meplat that should make them more lethal. I will sort the boolits by weight to help with group size. May try alloys softer than #2. Have not used any powder coated boolits in this rifle yet. They are the real deal for the 1894C Marlin in .357.

I don't know if I will even use this combination for hunting. Don't really need any venison. Gettin' old I guess. 74 in a couple weeks.

If I can get the Henry Dialed in my next goal is my Ruger #3 in .375 JDJ. Already have a few loads but haven't started testing.

Buy mom some flowers for Mother's Day. I will.

mulespurs
04-20-2021, 08:56 PM
Please share what your powder and charge weight might be. I am working with a 350 legend with the same bullet and good results with 21 gr of W296.
Some claim there might be better powders that might yeild more consistant results.

I like the Lee bullet in my rifle and took a large whitetail buck last fall at 200good steps, bang, flop, with a hi shoulder shot and the above mentioned load with a powder coated bullet.

Ar-15 function is good with careful crimping and I check reloads in a chamber guage.

jaysouth
04-21-2021, 10:13 PM
David rechambered my Handi rifle from .357 mag to MAXX. I bought two boxes of Hornady 185XTP and load these on healthy does of RX-7. It kills whitetail and feral pigs like lightning.

NSB
04-21-2021, 10:34 PM
Try this load if you’re looking for moa or less. Kills deer with authority out to 200 yds with no problem.

Cargo
04-21-2021, 10:45 PM
I briefly considered having my 77/357 reamed to Max but thought feeding from the magazine might be an issue. That Henry sounds like it might be a good way to go.