PDA

View Full Version : Older Nosler Partitions

218bee
04-19-2021, 09:24 PM
I came across these two boxes of Nosler 7mm bullets.
Note the band around each bullet, I guess for neck to be crimped into?? Its about .002 less dia. than surrounding area.
Under magnification you can see bullets were turned on a lathe.
Nosler moved from Ashlad to Bend Oregon in 1958 and name change to Nosler Bullets in 1969.
So these date from somewhere in between those dates.
Kinda cool

Winger Ed.
04-19-2021, 09:36 PM
A friend loaded .243 partitions in the 80's and they looked like that too.
For the hunting I did, the extra expense didn't really justify them.
For manufacturing, they're approx. double the steps to make one, and the price has followed right along.
Whatever spire points sold for in a box of 100, Partitions were the same for 50.

I don't remember lathe marks, but they did have the band.

Norske
04-23-2021, 12:47 PM
Just a guess, but if that's where the partition is located, the relief may be there to lower pressure. The solid brass part won't compress when it hits the rifling.

MostlyLeverGuns
04-23-2021, 12:58 PM
As I recall, the band was in fact a pressure relief groove when Nosler Partitions were machined. Impact extrusion and better pressure measuring did away with the relief groove. Barnes added grooves to enhance accuracy to achieve better barrel fit over more guns. Nosler Partitons have very soft lead so barrel engravinf/ size reduction requires less pressure.

Char-Gar
04-23-2021, 01:18 PM
The original Noslers were turned on an automatic screw making machine and the front and back cores swaged in. The band was for pressure relief and not for crimping. There were and are fine bullets. The current Noslers are more accurate, but the originals were more than adequate accuracy wise for any hunting use.

218bee
04-23-2021, 03:02 PM
Yes. I did find out that was a "pressure groove".
And if ya look at box it shows it on pictured bullet right over where partition is.