PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about .327 Mag's

Krag 1901
04-19-2021, 05:43 PM
I haven't bought a new gun in ~30 years and have been wondering about the 327 Mag as a pistol cartridge. I shoot .38/.357 and find them to be fine, but maybe a .327 might be lower recoil and lighter for a hi vel load? Not being a fan of SA I was looking at the Ruger SP-101 and it looks like a "Kit Gun" with promise? I've got a couple of .22 revolvers in excess and might just work a swap out for them.

How are they with cast boolets, 90-125 gr?

megasupermagnum
04-19-2021, 06:13 PM
They are great, however, I think the cartridge is at it's best with bullets 120 to 150 grains. The lighter bullets are fine, especially with lighter loads, but accuracy can be tricky with the the velocity you can get. With a 90 grain bullet and H110, I wouldn't be surprised if you are looking at 1700+ FPS in the 4.2" SP101. The Federal 100gr factory load runs around 1650 fps. You definately want gas checks on any bullet under 120 grains, if you intend to load to full power. With heavier bullets, plain base shoots great. One of my favorite loads is a 137 grain plain base SWC at 1225 fps. Nice and pleasant to shoot in the SP101, and shoots good at longer ranges too.

I think the 327 federal and the SP101 are the best possible combination you can get. It is hefty enough recoil is not a big concern, yet is very compact, and still has 6 shots. The cylinder is plenty long too, unlike the super restrictive single seven. The one and only drawback to the SP101 is the complete lack of a field or target style grip. There is not a single one out there, every one is on the small side, intended for concealed carry. I have been hearing a possibility that the longer LCRX grip may fit. I intend to try one and see myself it they work.

Soundguy
04-19-2021, 06:37 PM
My 327 is an sp101. Love it. It's shot more cast than jacketed and does fine.

I shoot the entire family.. 32acp 32short long HR mag etc.

A while back I got a 32hrmag charter arms ' 'professional'... Loved it... Started looming for a 327 immediately. My next fav is 38/357. The 32s are so easy to handle.

El Bibliotecario
04-19-2021, 06:40 PM
I don't know anything about the Ruger SP101. I do know that I think my Single 7 .327 is the caterpillar's spats. I shoot 98 grain bullets--with gas checks--so I have never had a problem with a restrictive cylinder. But I sense the original poster is looking for something more light and compact. I would not recommend this caliber to anyone who does not handload.

dverna
04-19-2021, 06:47 PM
I have come close to getting some guns in .327 more than once....one is not enough to meet my requirement for redundancy.

But with four revolvers in .38/.357 and three rifles, there is very little incentive to do so. If recoil is a reason, I can download .357’s. I do not need light loads past 50 yards, and 125-130 gr bullets in .38 cases address that need.

Nothing “wrong” with the .327, but, at least for me, no good reason to add it.

cwlongshot
04-19-2021, 08:51 PM
http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/threads/my-327-federal-mag-thread-w-updates.257831/

Krag 1901
04-19-2021, 10:49 PM
What about sizing dia and molds? I'm not sure I'd shoot a lot of Hot ammo but like the opportunity to if I wanted to.

contender1
04-19-2021, 10:52 PM
Well, I have a few .327's myself. Including a SP-101.
When they first came out with the 32 H&R mag,, I didn't think much of it. I wondered "why?" Well, I got one, shot it, and was glad to be proven wrong. It caused me to jump when the 327 came out.
Low recoil, easy to handload for, and as noted,, a killed on small game.
And in a .327,, you can shoot the .32 Short, .32 Long, .32 H&R Mag, and the .327.
What's not to like?

M-Tecs
04-19-2021, 11:04 PM
I don't have one but my buddies that have them love them. In these parts .327 handguns are easy to find. Loaded ammo, brass, bullets, dies or molds not so much.

dubble winger
04-19-2021, 11:19 PM
I have a GP (great pistol) 100 4' barrel, and i love it. It just fits my hand. Been working up some loads in the 135 ,140 gr. range. Love to shoot it , but never forget your ear protection . very hard on unprotected ears.

BBMF1
04-20-2021, 12:14 AM
G'day from Downunder[smilie=s:

G'day All , I have a few a GP 100 4" a T/C encore 10" and a 20" barrel Henry lever action and love them all :smile: I had a single seven but it was a pain to load so it went down the road but along with my .32 H&R mag contender I will always have them .

Regards Paul . :smile:

Lefty Red
04-20-2021, 06:22 AM
I never warmed up to the 327. I love the 32H&R, but the 327 just seemed a lot of noise for nothing. That seemed to be the main complaint of anyone with shot it, the sharp report. Much like a 357 out of short barrels. I down loaded, but then I ended up with a 32H&R load. So just keep the shorter 32.

Like Paul, my 32H&R TC will never leave!

Lefty

contender1
04-20-2021, 08:06 AM
"That seemed to be the main complaint of anyone with shot it, the sharp report."

As a RSO, I always say "Safety equipment is required. Eye & ear protection a must."

Thumbcocker
04-20-2021, 09:01 AM
Anyone else have problems with pierced primers in an SP101? Mine pierced primers. Sent it back to Ruger and they replaced some parts. Still makes extra deep primers strikes.

Dunross
04-20-2021, 09:48 AM
A "kit gun" is exactly why I bought my SP101. Of course it is chambered for 327 Fed Mag, but as I reload I typically keep my loads for it in the 32 H&R Mag and 32-20 range. They have gotten the job done for everything I have wanted to use it for including one close range pig shot. If I needed them for something bigger I'd put in full-house loads.

Liked it so well I bought a 20" Henry to complete the pair.

Green Frog
04-20-2021, 10:51 AM
My fondness (dare I say “Love”?) for the 327 FM is a matter of record here. Unfortunately, neither of the examples I have had are readily available today. :( The first one I found was the short lived (production, not endurance) Ruger Blackhawk 327 Eight Shooter. With full power Magnum loads it is a ground stomping, rip snorting stud horse of a gun. I consider it safe for anything I would want to load into it and shoot by hand. :Fire:

Next came a custom stainless K frame gun built on a well used Model 66 platform with rebored Model 617 cylinder and 4” barrel (with full under lug.) This one is a bit more refined and genteel, but can still wake you right up when it goes off. I’ve compared felt recoil from the 327 to something between that of a 38 Special +P and a standard 357 Magnum, but louder with loadings I’ve tried. Two of my friends who are sensitive to concussion have had to move away when I unleashed a cylinder full of 327s. :not listening:

As has been stated previously in this thread, revolvers with the 327 chambering will handle cartridges in 32 ACP, 32 S&W and S&W Long, and 32 H&R (which I refuse to label “magnum.”) This chamber will not accept a 32-20 cartridge, and a chamber in that configuration cannot be made to fit the 327s without bushing and starting over. :???:

Truth to tell, I frequently enjoy shooting 32 S&W L in my custom Smith, as it has about the same recoil as a 22 LR, and until SP Primers got so expensive recently could be shot about as cheaply. I hope the primer “situation” comes back to “normal” soon. :Fire:

I like the idea of a Henry lever action in 327, and if they’ll ever make it in the configuration I want, I’ll have to go into my Social Security income and buy one, even though it would mean peanut butter sandwiches and Ramen noodles for a while! :roll:

Green Frog

PS For further info about my custom 327 K frame, do a search here or on the S&W Forum for “Project 616.” :coffeecom

Soundguy
04-20-2021, 10:51 AM
Anyone else have problems with pierced primers in an SP101? Mine pierced primers. Sent it back to Ruger and they replaced some parts. Still makes extra deep primers strikes.

mine runs fine with any 32cal ammo... acp.. shorts, longs, hr full 327.. etc.

rintinglen
04-20-2021, 11:55 AM
I have 4, A 4 1/4" SP101, and one each length of the Single Sevens. I had a Stainless 4 5/8 Blackhawk which was quite accurate, but much too heavy for the caliber. My brother liked it more than I so he owns it now. When they first hit town, they were crap: the actions were rough and most had the loading gate cut out made too shallowly, resulting in severe difficulty in loading. The brass case would actually be shaved as the cartridge was pushed into the chamber. Thankfully, Lipsey's got onto Ruger and later runs were better. My SP-101 has been fine since I got it. I think that had they left off the heavy barrel underlug, it would be the perfect Kit gun.

When it comes to the cartridge, I disagree with the big boolit advocates: the heaviest boolit I have used is a 311-465 which runs ~122 grains, but by far I have shot more 90-100 grain boolits. My view is that a 150 grain boolit belongs in a .357, not a .327. My favorites are the MP 314-640 and a 358-477 wannabee made by NEI. Both run about 100 grains, and have produced five shot, 1" 25 yard groups for me on occasion when loaded fairly warm over H-110. I have found that for lighter loads, the 32 H&R brass works better than reduced loads in 327 brass. Brian Pearce recommended Power Pistol, but I do not: it is a mediocre performer, reduced velocity and 2-3' groups at best. Longshot works well, as do the Bobbsey Twins, 296/H-110. Long-nosed boolits don't work in the Single Sevens, unless you artificially shorten them by deep seating them. The two on the right , the 311-008 and the otherwise excellent RCBS 32-98 SWC both share this drawback.

Lefty Red
04-20-2021, 01:54 PM
"That seemed to be the main complaint of anyone with shot it, the sharp report."

As a RSO, I always say "Safety equipment is required. Eye & ear protection a must."

Funny, was wearing that when shooting. And didn’t even need someone to tell us. Don’t assume, cause you know what that makes out of you.

Lefty

scotth
04-20-2021, 02:12 PM
not a big fan of the 327 fed mag. i started off with a single seven 5.5 barrel then a sp101 4.2 barrel then the lcr and then the henry 16.5 barrel now i have a 22" barrel on order with mgm for the contender. nope not a big fan at all i'am a huge fan of the 327 fed mag. i bet if you get one you will have others be for you know it.

onelight
04-20-2021, 02:42 PM
Both of mine do it a single seven and the sp101.
I did a light stoning on the tip of the firing pin of the sp101 and it did not pierce the last time I took it out.
But need to test it a bit more before I say it is fixed.

onelight
04-20-2021, 02:48 PM
I like my 327s a lot they both shoot good and are versatile hard hitting 32s. But I mainly shoot 100 grain bullets at 850 to 1000 FPS from them. From my 4.2" sp101 the the federal 100 grain sp is well over 1500 FPS and the discontinued Speer 115 jhp are well ove 1400 FPS so it is quite peppy for a 32 :)

Burnt Fingers
04-20-2021, 03:48 PM

Small pistol or small rifle????

Some load data with some powders indicates the use of small rifle primers.

Krag 1901
04-20-2021, 04:24 PM
Yesterday I looked up the loading data that is on the net and I must say that the velocities achievable are unbelievable! And in only 2-4 inch barrels! Like a lot of you say, that .32 H&R vel is enough for you, it still is pretty snappy too. I'd probably load most of it at those velocities if I had one.

Like I said, I have some .22 revolvers that were made surplus when I bought my S&W Mod 41 with both barrels. A Mod 17 8", a Mod 17-6 6" and a Colt Diamondback 6". Bet I could sell any one of those to by an Sp-101 and a mold for for it.

Thumbcocker
04-20-2021, 05:43 PM
Small pistol or small rifle????

Some load data with some powders indicates the use of small rifle primers.Small pistol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

onelight
04-20-2021, 06:17 PM
Yesterday I looked up the loading data that is on the net and I must say that the velocities achievable are unbelievable! And in only 2-4 inch barrels! Like a lot of you say, that .32 H&R vel is enough for you, it still is pretty snappy too. I'd probably load most of it at those velocities if I had one.

Like I said, I have some .22 revolvers that were made surplus when I bought my S&W Mod 41 with both barrels. A Mod 17 8", a Mod 17-6 6" and a Colt Diamondback 6". Bet I could sell any one of those to by an Sp-101 and a mold for for it.
If you sell the Diamondback you could buy a nice used truck to haul your sp101 home in :)

megasupermagnum
04-20-2021, 07:16 PM

The round is no joke. I shot a full grown whitetail buck with my 5" GP100 that went down on the spot. Sure, it looses velocity in shorter barrels, but it is still quite powerful. The 327 Federal was originally introduced in shorter barrel SP101's as a self defense cartridge. It offered very impressive performance close to a lot of the more mild 357 magnum ammo, yet allows 6 shots in the same gun. Revolvers were not super popular at the time, which I think was 2008-2009, but the cartridge was, and continues to be popular for what it was designed for. It offers 6 shots of decent firepower in a small package.

In the longer barrels, it can be a real speed demon, but that doesn't necessarily mean it will shoot good. The Federal 100gr SP load shoots well in any gun I ever tried it in. The 85 gr version on the other hand is utter garbage. The problem I see with the lighter 32 caliber bullet molds is that they were intended for lower velocities. I think it probable a lighter bullet could work, but I would want as much bearing surface as I could get on it, a gas check, and a decent length front driving band. An example would the the Accurate 31-110H. I would add a crimp groove, and give it a gas check shank, and I would think that general design could work well.

One thing a number of us have found, including Brian Pierce of Handloader magazine, is that there are many loads that can give high extreme spreads for velocity. Brian found the best fix was trying different primers, which does work. I found a big issue was poor quality Starline brass, which had poor or non-existent annealing. I could feel as I seated bullets, one would slip right in, and the next would really squeeze in there. If you can feel it in the press handle, you know the problem is REALLY bad. In my case, I got rid of every single Starline case I had, some 2000 or so of them, and bought all brand new Federal brand cases. The Federal brass is fantastic, and the lengths are better too. I did side by side accuracy tests, and the Federal brass cut groups in half in some instances.

You will see some discussion on primers. The original recommendation was only small rifle primers to handle 45,000 PSI. That is not the best way to go. The Federal 100 small pistol primer will show pressure signs sooner than any other small primer. You won't get to 45,000 PSI without them flattening. I use them in most of my loads, which run under that, and they generally produce the best accuracy for me. The CCI 500 small pistol is a good choice, and will handle 45,000 PSI well. I have yet to have a small rifle primer shoot as well as a small pistol primer. When a magnum primer is needed, like with H110 powder, I like to use a small pistol magnum like the Federal 200. I have not had any issues with primers piercing. I've owned an LCR, two SP101's, a GP100, and a Henry rifle, as well as having shot a single seven quite a bit, and all of them are a non-issue. The one thing I have had is my SP101 does flatten primers more than my GP100, and my LCR and Henry are somewhere between those two. I don't know why, but that is one thing to keep in mind when loading ammo. I see a lot of reports of flattened primers with less than max loads. Primers are a terrible pressure indicator alone. I recommend you try factory ammo, and see how much those primers flatten, before you write off your starting load handload as high pressure.

There are better people than I for data on lower velocity loads. There's lots of data out there on 32 H&R. I sure hope those guns could buy you an SP101. I think I paid $650 for the 4.2" SP101 a couple years ago, but I can only imagine what they are today. Especially with todays market, go with a mold from a custom maker like Accurate, NOE, Aresenal, etc. Don't mess around with the production brands like Lee, Lyman, et al.

GooseGestapo
04-20-2021, 08:14 PM
My .327 is a Ruger Single-7 w/5.5”bbl. It’s been a struggle, but It’s finally giving me what I wanted/expected.
It’s a reloaders dream, and necessity. Besides, I finally discovered a load it REALLY likes and couldn’t be more pleased.
It’s the Lee 113gr FNGC sized to .314” with crimp on gas check and SPG lube. Over 13.0 of H110 and Small rifle primers it gets 1,300fps and at 50’ shoots cloverleafs.
I recently picked up a Taurus Mod 76 in .32H&R mag. It’s good to go out of the box.
I may have it reamed to .327 because it’s capable.

contender1
04-20-2021, 09:36 PM
Lefty, my apologies.

Sharp reports (noise) is usually noticed the most by folks who do not wear hearing protection. I haven't found the .327, or the often noticed .30 Carbine Blackhawks to be an issue with noise or a sharp report etc when good hearing protection is used.

And I've taught ladies to enjoy these calibers/guns without them complaining of the noise.

Cosmic_Charlie
04-20-2021, 10:47 PM
I would like one in a double action revolver with a 6" barrel. Too bad Smith is being so stodgy about clambering for it.

megasupermagnum
04-20-2021, 11:28 PM
I would like one in a double action revolver with a 6" barrel. Too bad Smith is being so stodgy about clambering for it.

It is available in a 6" barrel GP100. S&W would just dork it up anyway, likely with a Hilary hole, and crappy EDM rifling.

megasupermagnum
04-20-2021, 11:32 PM
Lefty, my apologies.

Sharp reports (noise) is usually noticed the most by folks who do not wear hearing protection. I haven't found the .327, or the often noticed .30 Carbine Blackhawks to be an issue with noise or a sharp report etc when good hearing protection is used.

And I've taught ladies to enjoy these calibers/guns without them complaining of the noise.

I've had no issues either, even the few shots I've taken without ear protection. It is loud, same as any magnum. I doubt you could ever tell a 357 magnum from a 327 Federal side by side. It's not noise for nothing. That is the cost of an extra 400-500 fps over the 32 H&R.

megasupermagnum
04-20-2021, 11:39 PM
@GooseGestapo, I had never considered that bullet before, but that is about what I would think would work good for a light bullet. Lots of bearing surface, and a good front driving band. That drops over .314" for you? It seems my various Lee 309 molds drop around .311", and I don't think any drop that big.

rintinglen
04-21-2021, 08:06 AM
I use Winchester SPMP's or CCI 500's, exclusively in this cartridge nowadays. Remington and Standard Winchester primers are pierced very often as are Federal Match SPP's. Hard primers work the best.

onelight
04-21-2021, 08:23 AM
[QUOTE=rintinglen;5173198]I use Winchester SPMP's or CCI 500's, exclusively in this cartridge nowadays. Remington and Standard Winchester primers are pierced very often as are Federal Match SPP's. Hard primers work the best.[/QUOTE
This may be my problem I use mainly WW primers that may be a big part of my problem . I even get pierced on low pressure loads Ike 32 S&W in my 327 revolvers.

ddixie884
04-21-2021, 11:18 PM
I sure like mine.........

P Flados
04-22-2021, 12:38 AM
I have the 4.2" SP-101.

It does pierce regular pistol primers at just above 32 H&R power level. Small pistol magnum let me get to 80% of book max velocity without piercing. My gun will not reliably set off small rifle primers.

I made some custom NLG molds.

I have a 55 gr that I lube with BLL. A light charge of titegroup under it makes for a dirt cheap "22 alternate". I have sent many thousands of these little bullets downrange.

My 78 gr with PC and 4.7 Promo (~1200 fps) makes a nice mid range load that is snappy, but not unpleasant.

My 85 gr with PC and enough SW Heavy Pistol for just over 1400 fps shoots good and sounds about like a 357 mag. Even though this is only around 80% of book max, it is enough for my liking.

I also work up a couple of heavy loads with a 110 gr. I just did not like shooting the 110s.

I recently replaced the factory grips with a Pachmayr grip. Much better feel when shooting shout loads.
https://www.amazon.com/Pachmayr-02483-Diamond-Ruger-Grips/dp/B00URUEIG0.

Green Frog
04-22-2021, 11:56 AM
Re: pierced primers. I use Winchester SPPs. AFAIK, they advertise a “one size fits all” SPP, with no distinction between those for standard or magnum rounds. Regardless, I’ve never had one pierced in 327, including a few I grossly overloaded. I got some serious flattening, but none were pierced. YMMV.

Froggie

megasupermagnum
04-22-2021, 05:18 PM
No piercing here either. That is a problem with the gun, not the primer or load.

rintinglen
04-22-2021, 07:10 PM
All 3 of my single sevens will puncture a standard WW SP at loads approaching top end. They do not pierce CCI 500 nor WMSP. Brian Pearce noted this in his article in the February 2017 (2016?) issue of Handloader.

PS. I'll post a picture of the WMSP sleeve after a while--I have honey-dews to deal with first.

onelight
04-22-2021, 07:21 PM
No piercing here either. That is a problem with the gun, not the primer or load.
I agree .
I wonder if Ruger does something different with the firing pin on 327 to make them work with small rifle primers.
But apparently they don't all do it . I just got lucky :)
The single seven and sp101 in 327 are the only two Rugers I have had that pierce primers.

rintinglen
04-22-2021, 07:35 PM
281760 And here ya go. I only have 1500 or so left.

megasupermagnum
04-22-2021, 07:59 PM
I agree .
I wonder if Ruger does something different with the firing pin on 327 to make them work with small rifle primers.
But apparently they don't all do it . I just got lucky :)
The single seven and sp101 in 327 are the only two Rugers I have had that pierce primers.

The firing pins are identical. I seem to recall the hammer springs are stronger than the 357 magnum's. I could be wrong. I put a 10# hammer spring in my GP100, and it sets off small rifle primers with zero failures. The only handgun I had that pierced primers was a 41 magnum blackhawk. A new firing pin fixed it.

dubble winger
04-22-2021, 10:43 PM
Had same issue shooting factory rounds. Started to etch the metal surrounding the firing pin. Then started rolling my own and havent had a peircing since. Think maybe some thin metal primers got out of the factory ?

dubble winger
04-22-2021, 10:46 PM
Yeh, i forgot that i too changed to lighter springs, no problem since.

onelight
04-22-2021, 11:35 PM
The firing pins are identical. I seem to recall the hammer springs are stronger than the 357 magnum's. I could be wrong. I put a 10# hammer spring in my GP100, and it sets off small rifle primers with zero failures. The only handgun I had that pierced primers was a 41 magnum blackhawk. A new firing pin fixed it.
I have lighter springs in both . And in the sp101 I have stoned the end of the FP to blunt the tip and shorten it a tiny bit and it did not pierce the last trip but I need to test more for function . If all is good I will do the same to the single seven if not I may have to send them back to Ruger for them to fix. I like both guns they are fun to shoot and new shooters really seem to enjoy them.
Thanks for the suggestions .

Thundarstick
04-24-2021, 07:16 AM
I've got the big ole Blackhawk, three single sevens (the Bisley is my favorite), a Taurus stubby, a S&W 632 (great gun), both sp101s, and a Henry lever rifle. I'd say I like them 327s! The worse thing is the bark, but it's still not as bad as a 357, the best thing is the bite for the amount of powder and lead you use! Probably overkill for critters a 22 will stop, but big coons and coyotes can attest to its effectiveness! All mine are very accurate as well!

Woops, I plum forgot about the two GP100s!

Green Frog
04-24-2021, 10:07 AM
281760 And here ya go. I only have 1500 or so left.

That’s what I’ve used for virtually all of my 327 loads in the Blackhawk 327 and the S&W Stainless K. As I said, no piercing, even with serious loads. I vote for hammer nose shape to be the source for everyone who is having problems.

Froggie

DHDeal
04-24-2021, 07:30 PM
I only have one 327, a FA97, and it can be a picky thing. I will say that it will be with me until I no longer have any guns. I learned what it likes and have more or less stuck to 2 MP molds and 2 powders. It likes a GC Sledgehammer with either AA9 or HS6 best and the 115 grain GC 314-640 almost as well with the same powders. Primers typically will be Federal 200's.

My 327 isn't any louder than my FA83 in 357. So yeah it's loud, especially with AA9. Accuracy with it isn't one bit better than the above mentioned FA83.

Soundguy
04-24-2021, 07:38 PM
Fa97 are a bit pricey to be picky...

DHDeal
04-25-2021, 09:23 AM
Fa97 are a bit pricey to be picky...

In my experience, all of my FA's have very tight throats and I'm a cast bullet shooter. For the more normal sized versions (357, 44, 45) I could just shoot jacketed as there are so many to choose from. The little 32's give me no choices of jacketed beyond 100 grains.

My comment about picky has to do with what cast bullets fit those snug chambers. The little revolver is as ridiculously accurate as it's bigger safe mates. I've never really tried what would be considered a light load in it but I'm sure it would shine there too.

I haven't found Starline brass to be a problem but I did anneal them after the third firing as they were hard. I have lost a few to split necks but the annealing seemed to stop that along with smooth seating of the cast bullets. I do have 300 pieces of Federal standing by but won't use them until the Starline is done.

After playing with the 327 for a couple years, I've found it to be very accurate and very fast. In my experience the 327 likes to run at about 7/8 throttle using GC's. Brian Pearce's article has been referred to (I've read it many times and keep it handy) and I also agree with his theory about powders (faster than magnum powders performing better). Mine shoots slightly better with AA9 than H110 and AA9 can be backed off, which I have done with great results. HS6 is also wonderfully accurate but that's not a surprise. I haven't had as much luck with Longshot but if I were to get serious with LS I don't doubt it would shine too.

Soundguy
04-25-2021, 10:10 AM
That’s what I’ve used for virtually all of my 327 loads in the Blackhawk 327 and the S&W Stainless K. As I said, no piercing, even with serious loads. I vote for hammer nose shape to be the source for everyone who is having problems.

Froggie

Agreed.. Pierced primers in spec loads usually is a gun issue.

Soundguy
04-25-2021, 10:12 AM
In my experience, all of my FA's have very tight throats and I'm a cast bullet shooter. For the more normal sized versions (357, 44, 45) I could just shoot jacketed as there are so many to choose from. The little 32's give me no choices of jacketed beyond 100 grains.

My comment about picky has to do with what cast bullets fit those snug chambers. The little revolver is as ridiculously accurate as it's bigger safe mates. I've never really tried what would be considered a light load in it but I'm sure it would shine there too.

I haven't found Starline brass to be a problem but I did anneal them after the third firing as they were hard. I have lost a few to split necks but the annealing seemed to stop that along with smooth seating of the cast bullets. I do have 300 pieces of Federal standing by but won't use them until the Starline is done.

After playing with the 327 for a couple years, I've found it to be very accurate and very fast. In my experience the 327 likes to run at about 7/8 throttle using GC's. Brian Pearce's article has been referred to (I've read it many times and keep it handy) and I also agree with his theory about powders (faster than magnum powders performing better). Mine shoots slightly better with AA9 than H110 and AA9 can be backed off, which I have done with great results. HS6 is also wonderfully accurate but that's not a surprise. I haven't had as much luck with Longshot but if I were to get serious with LS I don't doubt it would shine too.

I pretty much only shoot cast as well. I like having good bore fill.. If a too tight chamber would make me shoot undersized lead..id have them opened up so they aren't undersizing my good fit projectiles. No reason to have a 2700$ gun do that. My MR73 certainly doesn't undersized my cast loads..id be peeved if it did at that price.

LeadHead72
04-27-2021, 07:54 PM
I've had a hankering for a .327 for the last year or more. Recently the opportunity presented itself to buy a Ruger Blackhawk for a (by today's standard) decent price so I snatched it up. The 3" SP101 had also caught my eye and a couple of days ago another "right deal" presented itself and it should be here on Friday.
Due to bullets that I already have on hand I'm looking for more load data for some plain base 98gr SWC and LRN's (plain base). I have Brian Pierce's article from 2009 but it sounds like there is another from a much more recent publication. Does anyone have it in PDF format and/or other data for these bullets?

Soundguy
04-27-2021, 07:58 PM
Spq01 are great.

RJM52
04-28-2021, 07:16 AM
DH...what configuration is your FA 97?

Green Frog
04-28-2021, 12:42 PM
I've had a hankering for a .327 for the last year or more. Recently the opportunity presented itself to buy a Ruger Blackhawk for a (by today's standard) decent price so I snatched it up. The 3" SP101 had also caught my eye and a couple of days ago another "right deal" presented itself and it should be here on Friday.
Due to bullets that I already have on hand I'm looking for more load data for some plain base 98gr SWC and LRN's (plain base). I have Brian Pierce's article from 2009 but it sounds like there is another from a much more recent publication. Does anyone have it in PDF format and/or other data for these bullets?

Did you get the 8 Shot Blackhawk? That’s what I have and it’s a Stud Hoss! I can use it as my test gun and feel safe that I won’t overstress it shooting anything I would want to put in it.

Froggie

LeadHead72
04-28-2021, 01:54 PM
Yes, sir, they're not all that easy to find.

DHDeal
04-28-2021, 03:08 PM
DH...what configuration is your FA 97?

5.5" fluted, Black Micarta, action job, and until a week or so ago it wore a Trijicon SRO 1 MOA dot sight. Right now it has a Leupold 2.5-8 on it because, well because I could. It might be a little top heavy....

GooseGestapo
04-28-2021, 07:50 PM
@GooseGestapo, I had never considered that bullet before, but that is about what I would think would work good for a light bullet. Lots of bearing surface, and a good front driving band. That drops over .314" for you? It seems my various Lee 309 molds drop around .311", and I don't think any drop that big.

I “beagled” the mold to throw .314”. However, with the energetic load, it seems to obturate adequately even at.311”. Another good load is 10.0gr of #2400.
Rough chambers, tight throats, and thread choke in the barrel took a lot of “elbow” grease to over come.

Green Frog
04-29-2021, 01:49 PM
Yes, sir, they're not all that easy to find.

Prior to the Blackhawk Eight Shooter there was also a six shot Blackhawk 32 H&R built with a second cylinder in 32-20. I’ve heard of several of those having their H&R cylinders reamed out to 327 FM. It was a part of a special run sold through the now-defunct Buckeye Sports. I wish I had kept the (unaltered) one I sold many years ago. Yes, I would have had it reamed! :mrgreen:

Froggie

LeadHead72
04-29-2021, 02:46 PM
Prior to the Blackhawk Eight Shooter there was also a six shot Blackhawk 32 H&R built with a second cylinder in 32-20. I’ve heard of several of those having their H&R cylinders reamed out to 327 FM. It was a part of a special run sold through the now-defunct Buckeye Sports. I wish I had kept the (unaltered) one I sold many years ago. Yes, I would have had it reamed! :mrgreen:

Froggie

Yeah, I've kinda been watching out for one of those as well, but they are a bit pricy when you do find one.

david s
04-29-2021, 07:18 PM
I have the 8 shot Blackhawk, having also fired the Single Seven version I think if I were to do it again I would buy the smaller framed gun. The bark is like the 30 Carbine Rugers. It's quick to get a bullet to 100 yards, at least for a pistol. It's quite a step up from the 32 H&R at least with the factory equivalent loads. The only real equals are a hot loaded 32-20 or the 30 Carbine.

Green Frog
04-30-2021, 10:41 AM
My favorite 327 FM performance story involves the Federal high performance loads, the ones with jacketed base and a lot of exposed lead hollow point and the little teat of lead in the HP cavity. I shot one of these at a liter sized plastic soda bottle full of water at a distance of about 10 yds. As expected, I got explosive effects, but I was amazed when I picked up what was left of the bottle and it rattled. When I looked inside I found the bullet expanded to about double diameter, perfectly round. :!:

Can you imagine the hydrostatic shock of that bullet expanding and shedding all of its momentum in just that liter of water? :shock:

Froggie

nhithaca
04-30-2021, 11:15 AM
I have the two Buckeye Blackhawks, 10mm/38-40 and 32H&R/32-20. Have often thought of reaming the 10mm to 10mm Mag and the 32H&R to 327 Mag, but since these are limited production guns I can't bring myself to do it. If I want hot loads in the 10mm/38-40 I just use +P 200 grain loads in the 10mm cylinder (1,300 fps) and in the 32H&R/32-20 I use the old HV loads in the 32-20 cylinder and toss the brass after 2 reloads. More than enough speed in both guns.

LeadHead72
04-30-2021, 11:28 AM
I have the two Buckeye Blackhawks, 10mm/38-40 and 32H&R/32-20. Have often thought of reaming the 10mm to 10mm Mag and the 32H&R to 327 Mag, but since these are limited production guns I can't bring myself to do it. If I want hot loads in the 10mm/38-40 I just use +P 200 grain loads in the 10mm cylinder (1,300 fps) and in the 32H&R/32-20 I use the old HV loads in the 32-20 cylinder and toss the brass after 2 reloads. More than enough speed in both guns.

Perhaps you could just find 2 other BH cylinders and have them reamed/fitted to your guns? Might cost a little more but you would retain all of the collector's value and enjoy the flexibility of the other calibers at the same time. Seems to me it could be a huge selling point if you ever decided to part with them down the road, too. Win-win, for a price, of course.

Burnt Fingers
04-30-2021, 01:39 PM
I have the 8 shot Blackhawk, having also fired the Single Seven version I think if I were to do it again I would buy the smaller framed gun. The bark is like the 30 Carbine Rugers. It's quick to get a bullet to 100 yards, at least for a pistol. It's quite a step up from the 32 H&R at least with the factory equivalent loads. The only real equals are a hot loaded 32-20 or the 30 Carbine.

If you are in Texas I would trade my Single Seven for the Blackhawk.

nhithaca
04-30-2021, 01:56 PM
[QUOTE=LeadHead72;5179931]Perhaps you could just find 2 other BH cylinders and have them reamed/fitted to your guns? Might cost a little more but you would retain all of the collector's value and enjoy the flexibility of the other calibers at the same time. Seems to me it could be a huge selling point if you ever decided to part with them down the road, too.

Maybe I'll check on that, but I think it would be hard to find a 32 caliber cylinder for the full sized Blackhawk. The 10mm could be done on a 9mm or 357 cylinder which are available. A 30 Carbine cylinder may work but I would have to compare dimensional drawings to be sure.

Green Frog
04-30-2021, 03:14 PM
I’ve seen it written that the current Blackhawk 30 Carbine cylinder will take a 32-20 round with no alteration, but it would already be too big at the base for a 327... you can’t “ream it smaller.” :(

Froggie

david s
04-30-2021, 07:06 PM
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=5179997

Nope Montana, oddly enough your the second person to suggest that. A member on Art and Science of Bullet Casting also liked the idea but nothing ever came of it. I like the 32's alot. I've always said the most un American thing about me is I don't particularly care for 30 caliber rifles but think that 30 caliber (32's) pistols are pretty neat. I have one of the Ruger Single Sixes in 32 H&R that I thought about getting a cylinder for and rechambering but it's my understanding that Ruger made the cylinder window a bit larger for the 327 Federal. Like Green Frog my first target with the 327 Federal was food related, a can of Sour Kraut that we forgot the can opener for. Used the Federal American Eagle load, didn't find the bullet but the can sure did open.

LeadHead72
04-30-2021, 11:28 PM
Well, I got to pick up the SP-101 today. The finishing touch is the fact it came with the Crimson Trace LG-303 grip which seems appropriate for a 3-inch model. Pretty sure I'm gonna like this outfit.