PDA

View Full Version : 50/90 smokeless loads

Earl54
04-19-2021, 03:42 PM
If I reduce the case capacity of a 50/90 with wads under the bullet, can I use 50/70 data? I am going to make the capacity under the bullet and wads the same as a 50/70 with just a bullet. Using a cast 450gr. bullet, add the weight of the wads, reduce the load by 10% and work up.

elk hunter
04-21-2021, 09:39 AM
The use of any case filling material is controversial at best. If you do a search in the different forums here you will find plenty of advise for and against it's use. Personally, I use both Dacron and wads when loading smokeless in large capacity cases originally intended for Black Powder. How to do so safely is the rub. I use enough Dacron or wads to completely fill the space rather tightly between the powder and the bullet, like wads in a shotshell. That way the filler does not become a separate projectile that slams into the base of the bullet when the round is fired. Others believe that the only safe way is to load a tiny amount to just hold the powder in place. Perhaps I've just been lucky but I have fired thousands of rounds loaded my way with never a problem. You will have to decide what method you want to use.

black mamba
04-23-2021, 07:34 AM
Depending on the bullet, of course, you could just seat the bullet more deeply into the case and crimp over the ogive. I do it all the time in revolver cartridges, works great.