PDA

View Full Version : First time for everything... and hope it is the last.

beezapilot
04-19-2021, 11:12 AM
I've been loading for a long time, coming up on 50 years. Can't even imagine the number of rounds that I've loaded over the years. When I was learning from my dad he was pretty tough on bench keeping the bench clean & uncluttered and equipment in good operating order - and you ALWAYS wear safety glasses. I'm grateful that I kept those habits over the years. So the attached photograph is what a MEC loader bar plate looks like when a primer detonates while being seated- on the other side of that plate and charge bar was about a half pound of powder. No debris in the primer cup, no anomalies on the face of the seated primer- just a flash & bang... woke me up more than morning coffee I tell you. Defective primer????? Seems like no reason for the detonation that I can find.

Remember your A-B-C's and Always Be Cautious.

Polymath
04-19-2021, 11:49 AM
I had one primer go off in all the years. Due to a bit of "something" on the primer seater. Not sure what it was but it fired off with a pop. So now I keep an eye on the seater and blow any dust, crud out.

MrWolf
04-19-2021, 12:24 PM
Glad you are ok. Goes to show you never know.

missionary5155
04-19-2021, 12:31 PM
A 209 primer would be a real pop ! Those safety glasses are good to always have close at hand.

Scrounge
04-19-2021, 12:32 PM
My brother just gave me A MEC loader, and suggested I do all the primers, then do all the powder, then all wads. Then all shot, then all crimps.His reason was that it would likely give more consistent results. Looks like that was better advise than he knew. I'm also glad you're OK, and also that you were willing to tell us about it. Many thanks!

Bill

dverna
04-19-2021, 12:46 PM
Wonder if you got a piece of shot under it?

BTW, good advice above about wearing glasses whenever reloading. I know a top shooter who had a tube full of small pistol primers go off twice on a Dillon 1050. Going too fast can have consequences.

Glad you are OK.

Hogtamer
04-19-2021, 09:41 PM
That will surely get your heart started! Glad you weren't hurt.

fecmech
04-20-2021, 01:07 PM
The good thing about the design of that Mec press is that while seating the primer the charge bar blocks the powder bottle off from the primer. Sounds like you may have had an errant piece of shot fall into the primer punch hole.

Txcowboy52
04-20-2021, 01:15 PM
Glad to hear you are ok , a man can get hurt in the blink of an eye, safety glasses always or no eyes to blink !