PDA

View Full Version : Wife-nus Inter-upts

Gator 45/70
04-18-2021, 03:13 PM
Yep, You guessed it, Its a wife's duty to enter the reloading shack every time she's home, Without fail.

Just when I'm set up and running here she comes, As a kicker the dogs tag along.

You want to shopping with me?

Me, no

She explains then where's she's going, Pick up a laptop, Grocery shopping (she went yesterday? )

Me, Good luck, See you later.

Now my concertation is shot and I realize I've have loaded a squib. Drat !

On a side note, That gas check that was on the bullet, It's now inside the case, Alone all by itself, lol

Now to find the needle nose pliers !

Winger Ed.
04-18-2021, 03:18 PM
Whenever someone comes along, I always back up and move away from the press as soon as I see them.
That has worked pretty well so far.

Gator 45/70
04-18-2021, 04:03 PM
Whenever someone comes along, I always back up and move away from the press as soon as I see them.

That's good advice, I think it's in the wife's job description or something?

Polymath
04-18-2021, 04:46 PM
one of inertia "hammer type" bullet pullers pays for itself the first time you use it. Saves the bullet & reuse the charge of powder, and tickity-boo

Gator 45/70
04-18-2021, 04:50 PM
one of inertia "hammer type" bullet pullers pays for itself the first time you use it. Saves the bullet & reuse the charge of powder, and tickity-boo

It does indeed, I threw away the flimsy alum. shell holder thingy and just use the case holder.

David2011
04-18-2021, 04:53 PM
If you push the press handle down and leave it there as the interruption begins it really helps to establish where in the process you stopped. Works for single stage and progressives. SWMBO used to like to walk up behind me quietly and brush my neck while I was reloading. While I regret the response she got one day, she understands now that distractions while loading are dangerous.

David2011
04-18-2021, 04:55 PM
It does indeed, I threw away the flimsy alum. shell holder thingy and just use the case holder.

I have never understood “throwing away” parts to something unless defective and a replacement has been obtained. They seldom take up much space and might get me out of a bind some day.

RogerDat
04-18-2021, 05:29 PM
Mine does it too, I think it is just a thing they do, maybe learn it from their mothers who learned it from their mothers and so it is passed down through generations. Sort of like a small child asking "why" seven times in a row while you are doing your taxes or other activity that requires concentration.

Maybe the wife is serving a purpose sort of as Mark Twain described when he said a certain number of fleas are good for a dog, keeps him from brooding about being a dog.

Walks
04-18-2021, 05:49 PM
After being married to me for 38yrs, My Wife KNOWS better.

Gator 45/70
04-18-2021, 05:52 PM
She is forgive, Brought home some filets, crab salad, garlic French bread and a head of Romain Lettice

Gator 45/70
04-18-2021, 05:54 PM
I have never understood “throwing away” parts to something unless defective and a replacement has been obtained. They seldom take up much space and might get me out of a bind some day.

It's really easy once it blows apart and the donuts fly all over, The case holder is the way to go !

Gator 45/70
04-18-2021, 05:57 PM
Mine does it too, I think it is just a thing they do, maybe learn it from their mothers who learned it from their mothers and so it is passed down through generations. Sort of like a small child asking "why" seven times in a row while you are doing your taxes or other activity that requires concentration.

Maybe the wife is serving a purpose sort of as Mark Twain described when he said a certain number of fleas are good for a dog, keeps him from brooding about being a dog.

Ha, Genetics I believe, lol Next time I'm putting her on the powder thrower, Trail boss is some of the funkiest powder to meter out, Hands Down !

Winger Ed.
04-18-2021, 06:17 PM

I didn't just throw away those little clippy things for my kinetic puller either.
I put them in the Aluminum scrap/recycling bucket.

Gator 45/70
04-18-2021, 06:22 PM
I didn't just throw away those little clippy things for my kinetic puller either.
I put them in the Aluminum scrap/recycling bucket.

Baahhahha Plus 10,000

dale2242
04-18-2021, 07:09 PM
My wife of 58 yrs does come into the loading room while I`m loading.
She says" Don't let me interrupt you or go ahead with what you are doing."
At 79, I find I can lose focus enough when I`m alone.
All loading stops and we have our conversation until she leaves.
Don`t be distracted.

rbuck351
04-18-2021, 08:07 PM
I'm not sure whether it's genetics or they take annoying classes but my wife is really talented at interrupting at the wrong time.

Markopolo
04-18-2021, 08:19 PM
wow... I figured it was only me that had concentration issues!!!

Gtrubicon
04-18-2021, 09:26 PM
Reload in your underwear, I do. Tell her how romantic reloading is to you, she’ll leave you alone.

sghart3578
04-18-2021, 09:45 PM
Interruptions can be hazardous. That is one of the reasons I don't take my flintlocks to the gun club any more. When I want to shoot them i go by myself into the woods

It never fails that the flintlock draws a lot of attention, so much so that I got distracted once and when the long winded gent finally left I loaded a second charge on top of the first charge that I already had in there. Thankfully I had my ramrod marked.

As far as reloading I have tried through the years to get people to leave me alone when I am working. I would have better luck turning my lead into gold. After 35 years of marriage and 5 kids I have resigned myself to the fact that, unless I am home alone, interruptions can and will occur at any time. So when they do I stop and walk away until the wife is gone.

Steve in N CA

45workhorse
04-18-2021, 09:49 PM
Reload in your underwear, I do. Tell her how romantic reloading is to you, she’ll leave you alone.

Just reloading I hope! Not casting boolits!:bigsmyl2:

Gtrubicon
04-18-2021, 10:06 PM
Just reloading I hope! Not casting boolits!:bigsmyl2:

No, I cast when I’m at home alone, fully clothed!

GhostHawk
04-18-2021, 10:10 PM
It took 5 years but I trained my wife not to bother me when I was in the reloading room.

She'd want a favor done, would yell down from the top of the stairs.

I'd yell back "Tommorow, assuming I don't hear another word, if I do its next week at best"

Did not take me following through with a few of those for her to learn.

Write it down (So you don't forget) wait till I hit the top of the stairs, then ask. Done right stuff happens right now.

Cause and effect. You just have to be very firm, consistent. Not a whole lot different than training a young dog.
And if the wife ever read that I'd be in the doghouse and sleeping rough for a month. Grin

Wayne Smith
04-19-2021, 08:02 AM
It took 5 years but I trained my wife not to bother me when I was in the reloading room.

She'd want a favor done, would yell down from the top of the stairs.

I'd yell back "Tommorow, assuming I don't hear another word, if I do its next week at best"

Did not take me following through with a few of those for her to learn.

Write it down (So you don't forget) wait till I hit the top of the stairs, then ask. Done right stuff happens right now.

Cause and effect. You just have to be very firm, consistent. Not a whole lot different than training a young dog.
And if the wife ever read that I'd be in the doghouse and sleeping rough for a month. Grin

Naah, just tell her you learned Behavioral Psychology from me!

Eddie Southgate
04-19-2021, 08:28 AM
Learn to lock the door .

MrWolf
04-19-2021, 09:41 AM

This. They get the point which is reinforced by your actions of moving away from the press. Explain how a double charge or stuck bullet could kill or maim you and she would be stuck caring for you. Divorced now so no longer an issue but gf moved in last year. She knows better and likes to shoot.

RogerDat
04-19-2021, 10:12 AM
Wife has walked silently up behind me while I'm in the basement hunched over the reloading bench and all alone then from a foot behind me asked "what do you want me to do with this paper?" Let us just say I'm looking for a fancy gold bell necklace that I can get her to wear. It is either that or give her leprosy because one way or another she NEEDS to wear a bell.

The trouble with CRS is you can come into the room trying to tell spouse an important errand we need to do when we go to town, an expensive repair that is urgently needed on the water heater or you think the dog is pregnant. As soon as you make a sound she proceeds to tell you, in amazing detail, all aspects of something a girlfriend or girlfriends said and did. By the time your brain handles that barrage you have totally forgotten what YOU were saying or why you were there. As you can see it is her own fault she didn't hear about grandkid number 5 earlier, I'm sure I tried to tell her.

There is also the possibility that when you say "don't move this, I need it there" or "don't move that it is battery acid, I want it outside until I can wash the container off" you will find it moved to someplace in the garage, or basement, or office, or junk drawer. Or sitting on the table saw corroding the surface. Just saying cages, not just for the family dog anymore. Just another way to enhance safety at the reloading bench and in the shop.

I found a vintage 100 pack of pistol primers a friend gave me that I set on half wall going to basement in the basket she has hanging on the wall to keep her keys, gum, assorted purse junk in. She had no idea what had happened to them when I was next was headed downstairs and went to take them with me. Asking have you seen..... got an emphatic no. Now what I wonder is am I the only one who learned in kindergarten that if it was Billy's or Susie's and not yours then you didn't touch it without asking first?

These days I do loose my train of thought pretty easily if interrupted, could be my blah blah filter is wearing out or just a symptom of not having managed to blow myself up or set myself on fire or get crushed by a press so far. Getting older sure ain't for sissies. Now I have to go and find the mate for the shoe I'm wearing because I'm pretty sure they are a pair.

GregLaROCHE
04-19-2021, 10:14 AM
My wife is always welcome to come in, but she’s knows she is likely to get drafted into doing something like cutting paper patches.

It’s the cat I can’t stand coming in and knocking things over!

waksupi
04-19-2021, 12:40 PM
Interruptions can be hazardous. That is one of the reasons I don't take my flintlocks to the gun club any more. When I want to shoot them i go by myself into the woods

It never fails that the flintlock draws a lot of attention, so much so that I got distracted once and when the long winded gent finally left I loaded a second charge on top of the first charge that I already had in there. Thankfully I had my ramrod marked.

As far as reloading I have tried through the years to get people to leave me alone when I am working. I would have better luck turning my lead into gold. After 35 years of marriage and 5 kids I have resigned myself to the fact that, unless I am home alone, interruptions can and will occur at any time. So when they do I stop and walk away until the wife is gone.

Steve in N CA

I can relate to that. Guys would want to come to my shop and watch me build guns. I would tell them, nope, no one in my shop while I'm working. I learned the hard way when I had the distraction, sure as hell I would screw us some simple procedure.

lightman
04-19-2021, 08:39 PM
I told mine the last time she came in that I was going to get a sign for the door saying No Girls Allowed. She just laughed.

Seriously though, we need to just stop what we are doing until whatever distraction is over. Finding a simple way of marking where we left off is a good idea.

Hogdaddy
04-19-2021, 08:53 PM
They say " The mind is the second thing to go " But to back away or leave handle down
where you left off works for me ; )
H/D

Idaho Sharpshooter
04-20-2021, 02:17 PM
I just built a 10x20 shop next to the house. That did not work either.