PDA

View Full Version : 45acp dies

Bashby
04-18-2021, 09:56 AM
Are there any brands of dies that are better for loading cast boolits in 45acp? Any to avoid altogether? I’m piecing together a Polymer 80 in 45acp and dies are on my shopping list.

Wag
04-18-2021, 10:02 AM
I use RCBS. Just be sure to get the carbide dies.

--Wag--

StuBach
04-18-2021, 10:05 AM
I use an old set of lymans and have never had an issue. Second the carbide recommendation. I do plan to upgrade mine to Dillons eventually though as I prefer their dies due to their decapping and stuck case removal being nicer in my opinion. I also like their seating die stems being flippable rather than multiple stems.

Dad uses older Dillons with the MP 454-200s, Hg68s, and HG130s I make for him and has never had an issue with them to my knowledge.

Bashby
04-18-2021, 10:21 AM
Definitely going carbide. Can you even get non carbide pistol dies these days?

tja6435
04-18-2021, 10:48 AM
I have the least problems with Dillon Precision dies with cast boolits, Hornady isn’t so good with cast

Burnt Fingers
04-18-2021, 10:51 AM
I'm a convert to Dillon dies. Especially when loading on a progressive press.

The key there is to get the right powder funnel for the Dillon powder measure. You want one with a Lyman M die step. Uniquetek has them and Lathesmith here can make them for ya.

Hanzy4200
04-18-2021, 11:11 AM
I have a set in RCBS, my second die set I purchased. They have processed around 20,000 rounds and are still going strong. I have dies from Lee, RCBS, Hornady, and CH4D. RCBS is the best quality for value in my opinion.

Char-Gar
04-18-2021, 11:40 AM
I have 45 ACP die sets from RCBS, Redding and Lyman. They all work.

lightman
04-18-2021, 11:47 AM
I don't think you could go wrong with anything available today. The problem is that everything is out of stock right now.

justindad
04-18-2021, 12:18 PM
Whatever you get, consider adding the Lee Factory Crimp Die (FCD).
I had an issue with copper plated bullets bulging just outside the case mouth, causing feeding issues. This was fixed by seating the bullet first, then using the Lee FCD. That & other experiences have led me to always seat my bullets in one step, then apply the taper crimp afterwards. For roll crimps (does not apply to .45ACP), I seat & crimp in one step.

bangerjim
04-18-2021, 02:37 PM
You should not be so concerned so about the dies, but the nose configuration of the boolit! ACP's are notoriously hard to load for due to the sharp ramps many guns have that prevent some nose designs from cycling correctly until you ream the throat of the gun to fit the boolit you are using. Once you figure out the weight and design you want, use any dies you can find these days!!!! I have 3 different brands mentioned above and all are most excellent.

It took me several tries (not with the dies!) to get my 45 ACP's to cycle and shoot correctly.

Good luck. Molds for most cals are VERY hard to find unless you take a 2nd mortgage out to buy on gun-broker! Unless you plan on ONLY loading comm FMJ boolits.

banger

Petrol & Powder
04-18-2021, 04:04 PM
I'm a convert to Dillon dies. Especially when loading on a progressive press.

The key there is to get the right powder funnel for the Dillon powder measure. You want one with a Lyman M die step. Uniquetek has them and Lathesmith here can make them for ya.

/\ THIS !!!! /\

I use the Uniquetek powder funnel in a Dillon 550 for my 45 ACP loading and it's the way to go. I have a couple of powder funnels (powder through expanders) made by Lathesmith for 38 Special. They have the correct dimensions for 38 Special CAST bullets and incorporate the Lyman M-die style step. They are game changers. If you're running a Dillion 550 and cast bullets - Lathesmith powder funnels are the way to go. the Uniquetek powder funnel is also an option.

If you're using a single stage press or some other setup, the Lyman M-die expander (or similar style from another brand) is worth the effort.

As for the 45 ACP dies, a carbide sizing die is the way to go.
I use the Dillion dies in 45 ACP but you can never go wrong with RCBS or Redding.

Petrol & Powder
04-18-2021, 04:15 PM
I may regret writing this but.... I am NOT a fan of the Lee FCD.

If you use the correct Lyman "M"-die style expander (or equivalent from another maker), seat & crimp in separate operations, and use a good taper crimp die (like say, a Redding taper crimp die) - the Lee FCD is not needed.

I know there are people that like the Lee FCD, I am not one of them.
YMMV

243winxb
04-18-2021, 04:51 PM
Seating dies come with a roll crimp for revolver cartridges OR a taper crimp for autoloader cartridges. Get the correct one.

RCBS is my choice.

Burnt Fingers
04-18-2021, 05:01 PM
Whatever you get, consider adding the Lee Factory Crimp Die (FCD).
I had an issue with copper plated bullets bulging just outside the case mouth, causing feeding issues. This was fixed by seating the bullet first, then using the Lee FCD. That & other experiences have led me to always seat my bullets in one step, then apply the taper crimp afterwards. For roll crimps (does not apply to .45ACP), I seat & crimp in one step.

I may regret writing this but.... I am NOT a fan of the Lee FCD.

If you use the correct Lyman "M"-die style expander (or equivalent from another maker), seat & crimp in separate operations, and use a good taper crimp die (like say, a Redding taper crimp die) - the Lee FCD is not needed.

I know there are people that like the Lee FCD, I am not one of them.
YMMV

I'm with you. I load thousands of rounds of 9mm and 45 ACP every year. I've never seen the use for the Lee FCD. The crimp die that comes with the Dillon die does the job just fine. After all, you're really not crimping so much as just removing the flare.

The Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die is a crutch used by reloaders to cover up their mistakes due to poor reloading practices. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Walks
04-18-2021, 05:43 PM
I'm not a fan of the lee fcd, or of lee dies in general. The fcd is VERY hard on case life, 3-4 loadings and the case mouth will split.
You want Quality? BUY Redding, RCBS, Redding or Lyman. That Lyman M-Die is the best thing going for expanding case mouths for lead bullets. Having one of those and a Taper Crimp die in your die set and you're are in business for reloading .45 ACP ammo. RCBS and Lyman also give you 2 or 3 seating stems for your bullet seating die.
dillon dies are geared for their machines ONLY.
A stuck case? Happened to me once in 60yrs. Teaching someone about reloading, forgot to roll the .25-06REM cases across the Lube Pad. Too busy talking and not doing. With so many LUBE options available today it's hard to believe anyone could get a stuck case. Plus, the Carbide Sizer dies that are available for about every straight wall handgun cartridge.
Good Luck and Have FUN.

gwpercle
04-18-2021, 07:44 PM
All standard 3 die sets are designed for loading metal J-word's ( Ball aka FMJ) .
To load cast lead , coated lead or plated you need to add a Flaring die , it flares the case to accept the soft boolits . Lee Universal Case Expanding Die (it simply flares) or Lyman M-Die or NOE neck Expanding M-type plugs used with the Lee body .
Some 4 die sets come with the extra die to load cast ... but double check before buying .
Gary

Green Frog
04-18-2021, 08:02 PM
I made my own “set” of Lyman dies in 45 ACP. It’s easy to find a carbide sizing die as an individual sale, and I picked up a seating die on e-Bay. I did this because I wanted to use the multi-caliber powder through expander die, and a taper crimp. I sourced each die separately and got the set cheaper than buying a factory set and adding to it. End the end, all of my “set” still came from Lyman, just not together. Dad bought the other auto pistol caliber we load, 9mm, from RCBS, complete IIRC with a taper crimp die.

Both sets work well for me, and I wouldn’t change either one. If I were starting from scratch I wouldn’t hesitate to buy either one if it were offered, but I still like the Lyman die for mounting a powder measure to charge the case in the same step as I expand my case mouths.

Froggie

Froggie

243winxb
04-18-2021, 10:12 PM
The 45 acp expander may be like my new 9mm one? 3 die set. https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?media/rcbs-expander-m-type-9mm-strange-black-coating.3604/full

Mk42gunner
04-18-2021, 10:25 PM
Similar to Green Frog, my .45 ACP die set is a mixture of CH, Lyman and RCBS. Some found at bases that closed down, some bought from the five dollar box of used dies that used to be common at gun shows.

The only die that I will categorically refuse to try any more is the Lee powder through expander die, (I've had several other caliber Lee handgun dies and always end up replacing them). By design it grips the case neck and requires a jerk on the press handle to free it. This is meant to ensure no powder bridging when charging cases on a Lee turret press. Since I don't charge powder on my single stage, I don't like or need that feature.

Never tried the Lee FCD handgun style die, but I don't think it is needed.

Robert

onelight
04-18-2021, 10:56 PM
I have Hornady , RCBS and Lee for 45acp they all work.

Winger Ed.
04-18-2021, 11:06 PM
As old as the cartridge is, all the die makers have had plenty of time to get it all figured out.

There may be some tweeky little differences, but nobody makes bad ones.

ioon44
04-19-2021, 08:47 AM
I have been using Hornady .45 ACP dies for cast bullets sized .452" with my Dillon 550 works great no problems.

Tazman1602
04-19-2021, 09:05 AM
Are there any brands of dies that are better for loading cast boolits in 45acp? Any to avoid altogether? I’m piecing together a Polymer 80 in 45acp and dies are on my shopping list.

I have great luck with Dillon does as all my machines are Dillon. RCBS carbide dies work well also!

Art

cowboy4evr
04-20-2021, 10:43 AM
I use LEE dies for revolvers , semi auto's and rifles . NO problems for me , and yes I use the LEE fcd on 357 sig and 44-40 . Regards Paul

45-70 Chevroner
04-20-2021, 01:26 PM
I'm with you. I load thousands of rounds of 9mm and 45 ACP every year. I've never seen the use for the Lee FCD. The crimp die that comes with the Dillon die does the job just fine. After all, you're really not crimping so much as just removing the flare.

The Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die is a crutch used by reloaders to cover up their mistakes due to poor reloading practices. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

I'm going to get slammed for disagreeing with this, but your statement about poor reloading practices is a load (pun intended) of crap. I have been using Lee FCD'S since they came out and it wasn't to cover up anything. If you don't like FCD's just say so with out criticizing others for using them.

justindad
04-20-2021, 01:35 PM
Burnt Fingers & 45-70 Chevroner - you could both be correct. There may be a proper use for the FCDs, and there may other ways to use them that compensate for improper practices elsewhere.
For me, it allows me to crimp while the bullet is stationary without needing to continuously reset the seating die. Perhaps it would be better to have two seating dies instead, but I have not experienced any issues telling me that this is necessary. I measure the OD of the case neck right at the mouth, and everything’s working good for me.

45-70 Chevroner
04-20-2021, 02:13 PM
I have 18 sets of dies, RCBS, Lyman, lee, and 1 set of Hornady . The Hornady dies are for 45 ACP, my son just recently bought a 1911 style 45 and the Hornady dies were the only one available. The problem with the Hornady it does not come with a crimp die, I adjusted the seater die to set the tapper crimp until I finally gave up and called Hornady and they said that set of dies does not come with a crimp function and I would have to buy a separate die, that cost something like $20.00 plus shipping. I ordered a Lee FCD for a lot less and some other stuff from Midway so I could get free shipping. The FCD works just fine. I've never had any problems with any of the different brands of dies including Lee. They all work as expected. I will say this though, I will never buy another set of Hornady dies.

onelight
04-20-2021, 02:23 PM
I have 18 sets of dies, RCBS, Lyman, lee, and 1 set of redding. The Redding dies are for 45 ACP, my son just recently bought a 1911 style 45 and the Redding dies were the only one available. The problem with the Redding was it does not come with a crimp die, I adjusted the seater die to set the tapper crimp until I finally gave up and called Redding and they said that set of dies does not come with a crimp function and I would have to buy a separate die, that cost something like $20.00 plus shipping. I ordered a Lee FCD for a lot less and some other stuff from Midway so I could get free shipping. The FCD works just fine. I've never had any problems with any of the different brands of dies including Lee. They all work as expected. I will say this though, I will never buy another set of Redding dies.

That is strange why would they not make it to crimp ? If you don't want crimp it's an easy adjustment to not crimp. I have not run into that. Nice to know about it.

45-70 Chevroner
04-20-2021, 02:53 PM
That is strange why would they not make it to crimp ? If you don't want crimp it's an easy adjustment to not crimp. I have not run into that. Nice to know about it.

onelight.
Sorry, looks like I made a Chang in my post after you read it, the weren't Redding dies they were Hornady dies.

bigwagon
04-20-2021, 03:18 PM
I use a separate crimp die for most of my pistol loads, both for autos and revolvers. I find I get much more consistent ammo this way. In most cases I've acquired a separate seater die to use solely for the crimp stage, but some brands are better than others. I was quite pleased recently when I found I was able to use a spare Lee 45 Colt seater die to put a crimp on 45 Schofield rounds I was loading. I tried to use my RCBS die to do it, but the die body is too long to reach the rim on the shorter Schofield case. I also use a Lee FCD for 45acp lead loads to uniform the overall width. I suppose this could be avoided in some cases by using a custom sized expander, but with mixed brand range pickup brass being all over the place dimensionally, the FCD makes sure everything will chamber. I guess some people might call this a "crutch" but frankly, it's not worth putting much more effort into cheap blasting ammo.

Burnt Fingers
04-20-2021, 03:28 PM
All my brass is unsorted range brass.

I load nothing but my cast .452 boolits.

The Dillon Crimp die does everything I need it to do...and doesn't size my boolits down. My failure rate for ammo that won't fit my EGW gauge is around 0.1-0.2%

Yep, 1-2 rounds in a thousand.

Also note, I'm talking about the Carbide Factory Crimp die. It's a crutch.

bigwagon
04-20-2021, 03:36 PM
Crutch for what? It has nothing to do with reloading technique if your dies are under or oversizing the brass.

onelight
04-20-2021, 04:05 PM
onelight.
Sorry, looks like I made a Chang in my post after you read it, the weren't Redding dies they were Hornady dies.
Thanks for the update.

45-70 Chevroner
04-20-2021, 06:31 PM
All my brass is unsorted range brass.

I load nothing but my cast .452 boolits.

The Dillon Crimp die does everything I need it to do...and doesn't size my boolits down. My failure rate for ammo that won't fit my EGW gauge is around 0.1-0.2%

Yep, 1-2 rounds in a thousand.

Also note, I'm talking about the Carbide Factory Crimp die. It's a crutch.

Just keep sticking too it and a lot of us will keep using the FCD. If I needed a crutch I probably would have blown my self up sometime within the last 55 years or so. For the life of me I don't see where you get that we are covering up bad reloading habits by using the Lee FCD. Just admit it you don't like Lee stuff.

onelight
04-20-2021, 07:41 PM
Here is a link to a poll from this forum on use of the Lee factory crimp die .
It's no more of a crutch than a gas check or powder coat is or any number of other items we use, it's another tool in the tool box that we have a choice to use.
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?106715-Lee-Factory-Crimp-die-for-Handgun-Cartridges-and-Cast-Bullets.

jim147
04-20-2021, 10:20 PM
I have a few Lee FCD's. When properly adjusted all they do is put a crimp on. Not sure what some people do to crush things down. Maybe they should ask how to adjust them.

Burnt Fingers
04-21-2021, 09:10 AM
Here is a link to a poll from this forum on use of the Lee factory crimp die .
It's no more of a crutch than a gas check or powder coat is or any number of other items we use, it's another tool in the tool box that we have a choice to use.
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?106715-Lee-Factory-Crimp-die-for-Handgun-Cartridges-and-Cast-Bullets.

That tells me that just over a third of us have seen the light.

DocSavage
04-21-2021, 10:02 AM
I use Dillon,Redding and RCBS dies but to make things a bit easier I load cast bullets with a bevel base that way I don't have to expand the case mouth that much.

Martin Luber
04-21-2021, 10:20 AM
Gary Percle has it right. How many folks complain of leading and poor grouping when using soft swaged boolets? Plenty . Why? Most 45 dies and the ALL IMPORTANT expander plug are designed for j word bullets. Idiots complain of loose bullets with reloads. The commercial lead boolet market is small! So the main die suppliers gear for commercial products. Their die and plug are too small for lead but holds jwords tight. With soft lead You can use any sizer if the expander plug is big enough, and long enough, to allow the boolet to hand start 1/16" and then seat to full bearing length without getting swaged down in diameter. Myself, for 45acp, l use a Hornady 454 casull carbide sizer to avoid excess sizedown combined with an oversized expander. The really old 45 Colt dies did this too. My RCBS seater is bored out to 0.375 so it only touches the shoulder of the boolet and seats straight. Good luck

justindad
04-21-2021, 11:43 AM
It seems the OP should slug their throat & barrel, to decide which expander & taper crimp dies are most likely to yield successful results from the start. Or, take some risk and buy the dies first.

StuBach
04-21-2021, 06:17 PM
Gary Percle has it right. How many folks complain of leading and poor grouping when using soft swaged boolets? Plenty . Why? Most 45 dies and the ALL IMPORTANT expander plug are designed for j word bullets. Idiots complain of loose bullets with reloads. The commercial lead boolet market is small! So the main die suppliers gear for commercial products. Their die and plug are too small for lead but holds jwords tight. With soft lead You can use any sizer if the expander plug is big enough, and long enough, to allow the boolet to hand start 1/16" and then seat to full bearing length without getting swaged down in diameter. Myself, for 45acp, l use a Hornady 454 casull carbide sizer to avoid excess sizedown combined with an oversized expander. The really old 45 Colt dies did this too. My RCBS seater is bored out to 0.375 so it only touches the shoulder of the boolet and seats straight. Good luck

I do not doubt your statements here what so ever on the value of upgraded expanders.

That being said. My dad and I have been loading my cast 45 of several flavors with no issue using the standard Dillon powder funnel expander and my old hand-me-downLyman dies (3-die set carbide). Dad uses same expander but Dillon dies. I personally reload for a Custom 1911, 2 1917s, and a g21. Dad loads mostly for 1917 and 1911 custom “race” gun (pin shooting gun). We both see fine accuracy, clovers at 10yds, so I recommend starting with the basics and upgrading if you find the need.

As earlier stated, 45acp has been around a long time and all the makers have it down pretty well. One may be “better” than another but often that’s more in the eye of the beholder than anything. They all can get the job done for you. Given that your loading for a poly gun frame and not a rifle I think you’ll be fine. If looking for long range accuracy than upgrade as the need arises.

charlie b
04-22-2021, 04:01 PM
Been using the Lee stuff for almost 40 years. I like the FCD for the taper crimp rounds and the bottle neck rifle stuff (collet crimp). Revolver isn't that big a deal since the FCD is still a roll crimp, but, I still like to crimp separate from the seating operation.

A 'crutch"? For what? What bad reloading practice would it cover up? Curious to know.

And, yes, I have used RCBS dies for reloading the .45acp, many, many years ago. Never had any problem with them, I just liked the Lee ones better.

And I am not exclusive to Lee either. For example, I like my Redding Competition seating die for the rifles :)

Bashby
04-22-2021, 04:29 PM
Thanks for all the advice, guys. I’ve been using a FcD for 9mm and am planning on getting one for 45acp. I’ll probably order a set of RCBS dies as I’ve had good luck with them in the past and others here have also.

GBertolet
04-22-2021, 04:53 PM
There is much truth in the statement, that expanders are dimensioned for jacketed bullets. Just measure the diameter of your expander, and subtract .001 for springback, and you will see how much swaging pressure is put on a lead bullet. RCBS does make "Cowboy expanders" for lead bullet use. They open the case 1 to 2 thousandth more, for a less damaging bullet fit. I have made expanders already of drill rod, to get a better fit on oversized cast bullets, for revolvers with oversized cylinder throats.

1hole
04-24-2021, 01:06 PM
I have 45 ACP die sets from RCBS, Redding and Lyman. They all work.

The only average difference between sizer dies is the SAMMI tolerance specifications; sizers vary as much between dies of the same name as there is between brands.

There is little or no significant difference for expanders and seaters and crimpers if the user knows what he's doing. That said, Lyman's "M" expanders and its copies (RCBS, Redding) are the best for cast bullets.

Harter66
04-24-2021, 01:50 PM
I've run Lyman All American , RCBS , and Lee dies in 1965 , 198? , and 199? .
I kept the FCD but gutted it to use as a sizer for a fat Colts carbine and a light bulge buster push through die , the rest of the set went down the road recently .

Both the RCBS and Lyman are ACP/AR dies . To date other than some occasional base dia issues , hence the stripped FCD , I've had no issues with either set nor a sufficient difference to prefer one over the other . I have a loose RCBS taper crimp die but really have no need for it .

In my use of both sets together and individually I find the Lyman to produce a faster roll crimp and slightly less taper . The RCBS has a longer deeper taper and a less aggressive roll crimp . Ultimately the RCBS seater gives me more adjustment of the taper .

None of this is a help or hindrance or really of any significance to me as the 1917s the kids and Mom have don't have feed issues as long as the case heads fit and the front band is under .4535 .

As for quality and customer service and price value . I have a few high rent die sets and some Lee's , 7-8 makers and I'll buy RCBS of any vintage over most others unless the price happens to be the same or really close .

35remington
04-24-2021, 02:37 PM
A hint to those asking..... if the FCD by Lee is needed to “fix” rounds so they will chamber, it is possible you missed an oversized bullet, crooked bullet seating, or some other process that you missed earlier. In fact you most certainly did.

Perhaps better to catch the problem where it exists rather than squash the unlike round in an attempt to make it like the others. Often this reduces desirable bullet/case grip in so doing.

If it was so essential one wonders why current ammo plants and reloaders prior to its introduction managed to make functioning ammo.

Just answering the question posed. If you want to mash out of spec ammo into shape instead of investigating the why of why it doesn’t fit have at it.

onelight
04-24-2021, 03:39 PM
I can buy the 4 die Lee die set handgun set cheaper than I can buy a 3 die set of any other brand with that I get a separate crimp die and the powder through die . The carbide ring does nothing on the revolver dies I have . the crimp die for auto rounds does . It insures that they all work in all my pistols . The Lee crimp die is also the easiest to fine tune of any of the dies I have on progressives and turrets so is the bullet seating die and I have Hornady , Rcbs and Redding .
I have different brand dies for almost every thing I load for but I use the Lee's unless I have a particular situation I am trying to deal with. I shoot for fun I don't compete and I am not an expensive equipment junkie. I can't tell any difference at the range which die set I loaded my ammo on . Some guys start with Lee and move to something else . I started with the other brands and have switched to Lee , at least for handgun ammo.

jonp
04-24-2021, 04:01 PM
Late but I have dies from Lee, Lyman and RCBS. The Lyman are old Lyman steel All Americans. I notice no difference in the dies except the lubing, of course. I use the Lee's more than any other.

The Lee is the 4 die set. I seat and crimp in 2 steps for better performance. With cast I also use the Lee Universal Expander Die. Well worth the under $10. One pistol likes .469, another .471 The Lee lets me dial it in and get better results but others may not care to do this.

charlie b
04-24-2021, 04:13 PM
A hint to those asking..... if the FCD by Lee is needed to “fix” rounds so they will chamber, it is possible you missed an oversized bullet, crooked bullet seating, or some other process that you missed earlier. In fact you most certainly did.

Perhaps better to catch the problem where it exists rather than squash the unlike round in an attempt to make it like the others. Often this reduces desirable bullet/case grip in so doing.

If it was so essential one wonders why current ammo plants and reloaders prior to its introduction managed to make functioning ammo.

Just answering the question posed. If you want to mash out of spec ammo into shape instead of investigating the why of why it doesn’t fit have at it.

I never said it was 'needed' to mash out rounds. Someone else is implying that if you use an FCD die then somehow you are doing something wrong.

I just like the way they work. They take a perfectly good 'bell mouth' case with properly seated bullet and apply a good taper crimp. FWIW, I have never noticed the bases of the rounds being touched by the carbide base insert. I guess I am doing something right after all :)

1I-Jack
04-24-2021, 04:18 PM
+1 for the Dillon dies

35remington
04-24-2021, 05:19 PM
Charlie, a regular separate taper crimp die does the exact same thing that you want so by that definition the addition of the carbide sizing ring on the bottom their die as used by Lee is needless for you.

All reloading manufacturers offer a separate taper crimp die and have done so for many years. They will work as the Lee die does minus the potentially detrimental sizing.

The problem with the LFCD is many do use it as a fix it die which is the bad procedure mentioned earlier.

It’s not the base of the round that is touched by the Lee die. It is often over the bullet, and if you don’t want the bullet sized that is not good

44MAG#1
04-24-2021, 05:28 PM
What is wrong with RCBS dies? I've used them for years.
Am I in the dark about something?

onelight
04-24-2021, 05:46 PM
What is wrong with RCBS dies? I've used them for years.
Am I in the dark about something?
Nothing wrong with them , they all work .
I use the Lee powder measures on presses so I was adding the Lee powder through expander and also adding a separate crimp die for about $15. more I can buy the 4 die Lee set . I find it handy to have a variety of dies so I can leave them adjusted in turrets or breech lock bushings depending on where they get used I can leave a set adjusted for 44 special and another for 44 mag same for 38/.357 and 32 h&r /327. I do like some of the features on Lee dies better than others but some of the others have features I like better than Lee.
But the bottom line if a person likes the Lee press mounted PM (I do) then with any set besides the 4 die Lee sets you still have to but 2 more dies to set up 4 stations. I come out cheaper if at some time I don't want to use a Lee die from the 4 die set to then buy that one special die of a different manufacture.

1hole
04-24-2021, 07:49 PM
Never tried the Lee FCD handgun style die, but I don't think it is needed.

Robert

Rob, the much misunderstood and improperly used Lee FCD for handgun ammo IS just another tool for those who need it - and that's NOT because the loader doesn't know what the supposed web "experts" think it is!

The point of the FCD is to make ammo that will function every time, all the time; that's not a bad quality. Used "due to some (bad) reloading practices" ? That's not true and no one I've read has ever said what "bad practices" they are talking about!

Some reloaders presume that ALL cast bullets will shoot better if they are fatter than jacketed bullets; that isn't so but the myth persists. If we mix a fat bullet and a thick case with a tight chamber the odds of a stuck round (when you need it most?) goes way up and it just might get you killed. Lee's FCD and it's post crimp sizing ring is made to prevent failures to chamber and they do it without even touching a round that is "normal" diameter.

Thus, those people who loudly proclaim the FCD is a "crutch" for poor technique simply don't know what they're talking about.

Martin Luber
04-24-2021, 08:15 PM
Just me but I would never use reloads for self defense...mainly due to legal issues.

Tazman1602
04-24-2021, 08:26 PM
I'm going to get slammed for disagreeing with this, but your statement about poor reloading practices is a load (pun intended) of crap. I have been using Lee FCD'S since they came out and it wasn't to cover up anything. If you don't like FCD's just say so with out criticizing others for using them.

Agreed 100%. Been using Lee FCD for years for heavy recoiling handgun Ammo and 500 grain 45-70 bullets. Don’t *need* it, no problems with hand loads, it’s just something I picked up years ago...and most of my ammo shoots MOA (rifle) or 2”@25 yards (handgun)

Art

jim147
04-24-2021, 09:38 PM
Just me but I would never use reloads for self defense...mainly due to legal issues.

This seems to be the same myth as the Lee FCD.

Can you find me one case with someone being charged with using handloads in a legal self defense situation?

35remington
04-24-2021, 09:45 PM
Given that if ammunition must work in an autoloader proper procedure is to run it through a gauge or the gun’s chamber first it is rather hard to see the LFCD as some sort of lifesaving device.

Again....if your rounds don’t fit, find the cause and fix that rather than trying to crush an oversized round into shape. If rounds don’t fit investigate why not. The result is more consistent ammunition.

A thick case or oversized bullet really needs to be culled from the good ammo, not fixed by squashing it while possibly allowing it to have the same problem when reloaded again.

onelight
04-24-2021, 09:57 PM
Given that if ammunition must work in an autoloader proper procedure is to run it through a gauge or the gun’s chamber first it is rather hard to see the LFCD as some sort of lifesaving device.

Again....if your rounds don’t fit, find the cause and fix that rather than trying to crush an oversized round into shape. If rounds don’t fit investigate why not. The result is more consistent ammunition.

A thick case or oversized bullet really needs to be culled from the good ammo, not fixed by squashing it while possibly allowing it to have the same problem when reloaded again.

Do you really think that 2/3 of the people that responded to the poll can't tell the difference between ammunition that leads and is inaccurate and ammunition that does not lead and is accurate for its intended use.

35remington
04-24-2021, 10:24 PM
One of the things you must accept on a forum is that someone who knows precisely what he is talking about will find the use of the LFCD to be unnecessary and in some specific cases, actually detrimental.

Did you notice a significant portion of those polled felt it fell into that category? So do I. Not because I haven’t used one, but rather because I have. My current ones have the guts removed after making a negative assessment of their utility.

They are now used as bulge busters for unsized bulk purchase mixed case empty brass where they serve well. Now a push through die, not a sizing crimper.

No, I do not expect everyone to be as discriminating as me, but I don’t care to shoot anyone else’s ammo either. I prefer to do it a way I judge to be better.

Burnt Fingers
04-25-2021, 09:21 AM
Rob, the much misunderstood and improperly used Lee FCD for handgun ammo IS just another tool for those who need it - and that's NOT because the loader doesn't know what the supposed web "experts" think it is!

The point of the FCD is to make ammo that will function every time, all the time; that's not a bad quality. Used "due to some (bad) reloading practices" ? That's not true and no one I've read has ever said what "bad practices" they are talking about!

Some reloaders presume that ALL cast bullets will shoot better if they are fatter than jacketed bullets; that isn't so but the myth persists. If we mix a fat bullet and a thick case with a tight chamber the odds of a stuck round (when you need it most?) goes way up and it just might get you killed. Lee's FCD and it's post crimp sizing ring is made to prevent failures to chamber and they do it without even touching a round that is "normal" diameter.

Thus, those people who loudly proclaim the FCD is a "crutch" for poor technique simply don't know what they're talking about.

Let's see.

I loaded right at 50K of 45 ACP and 9mm last year. Loaded and shot to be precise. I've got at least a dozen 9mm firearms and the same for 45 ACP.

I don't use/didn't need the crutch of a Lee CFCD. All my rounds, loaded with bullets I cast, work in every firearm that's chambered for them.

Most of the 9mm rounds look like a coke bottle due to the use of .357 bullets. They work just fine.

I run every round through an EGW case gauge. My failure rate is less than 0.1%, far less. In the past two weeks I've loaded 4,200 9mm. I had one round that failed the case gauge. It had a small defect in the mouth of the case. I've loaded 2,400 rounds of 45 ACP. All rounds passed the case gauge.

The Lee CFCD is a crutch. It's used to hide bad reloading practices. 35Remington has it right.

Either you're using it for mental masturbation. It accomplishes nothing but makes you feel good. Or you're using it to hide bad reloading practices.

If your equipment, minus the Lee CFCD can't produce quality working ammo then you need better equipment.

Burnt Fingers
04-25-2021, 09:24 AM
Let's see.

I loaded right at 50K of 45 ACP and 9mm last year. Loaded and shot to be precise. I've got at least a dozen 9mm firearms and the same for 45 ACP.

I don't use/didn't need the crutch of a Lee CFCD. All my rounds, loaded with bullets I cast, work in every firearm that's chambered for them.

Most of the 9mm rounds look like a coke bottle due to the use of .357 bullets. They work just fine.

I run every round through an EGW case gauge. My failure rate is less than 0.1%, far less. In the past two weeks I've loaded 4,200 9mm. I had one round that failed the case gauge. It had a small defect in the mouth of the case. I've loaded 2,400 rounds of 45 ACP. All rounds passed the case gauge.

The Lee CFCD is a crutch. It's used to hide bad reloading practices. 35Remington has it right.

Either you're using it for mental masturbation. It accomplishes nothing but makes you feel good. Or you're using it to hide bad reloading practices.

If your equipment, minus the Lee CFCD can't produce quality working ammo then you need better equipment.

I have other shooters at my club begging to use my ammo. One is a double Distinguished Marksman US Army Command Sgt. Major. He tells everyone that the 9mm ammo I produce is the most accurate he's ever shot. He's also shooting my 45 ACP ammo right now.

Walstr
04-25-2021, 10:57 PM
I use an old set of lymans and have never had an issue. Second the carbide recommendation. I do plan to upgrade mine to Dillons eventually though as I prefer their dies due to their decapping and stuck case removal being nicer in my opinion. I also like their seating die stems being flippable rather than multiple stems.

Dad uses older Dillons with the MP 454-200s, Hg68s, and HG130s I make for him and has never had an issue with them to my knowledge.

I dunno, aftr cleaning, I tumble polish/lube the 45ACP cases & they behave very nicely during resize; same with 45-70 & .357/.38, etc.

justindad
04-26-2021, 06:45 PM
This seems to be the same myth as the Lee FCD.

Can you find me one case with someone being charged with using handloads in a legal self defense situation?

I have zero trust for our legal system. As political winds blow, you may be unfortunate to have used reloads in self-defense. Conside this: https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/the-peculiar-problem-of-handloads-in-self-defense-shootings.821474/

44MAG#1
04-26-2021, 06:57 PM
I have zero trust for our legal system. As political winds blow, you may be unfortunate to have used reloads in self-defense. Conside this: https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/the-peculiar-problem-of-handloads-in-self-defense-shootings.821474/

I don't trust the legal system either. The gun hating lawyers, gun hating law enforcement, gun hating judges, gun hating doctors, gun hating private citizens will hurl anything at you they can. If you eliminate one thing they will come up with something else to take its place. What about being a shooter that practices and does IDPA, IPSC or the other speed demon sports portraying one as a person looking and carrying for trouble?
Anything WILL and CAN BE used AGAINST you.
What about the selection of FACTORY ammo? Those deadly HP's. Those deadly LIBERTY CIVIL DEFENSE rounds. Oooooh.
ANYTHING can and WILL BE used against you.
So what does one do?

justindad
04-26-2021, 10:23 PM
Can’t argue against that. You can’t even train in Karate without that being held against you. I have heard about a case of a person being unjustly prosecuted because he used a 10mm in self defense, as if the power of that cartridge implied malicious intent.

charlie b
04-26-2021, 10:37 PM
...Either you're using it for mental masturbation. It accomplishes nothing but makes you feel good. Or you're using it to hide bad reloading practices.

I've loaded a lot of ammo without the Lee FCD and a lot with it. Why do I use Lee dies now? They are less expensive and just as good as a set of more expensive std die sets for my uses. Yes, I've used RCBS back in my youth. Never saw a reason to use it again.

Yes, if I do not flare the case mouth I don't need to use the FCD die in my set of dies. Yes, I could use the roll crimp feature in the seating die to get rid of a slight flare in the case mouth. I just prefer to do it with the taper crimp in the FCD.

Mental masturbation???? That's a bit rude. Just because I don't do things the way you do them. I applaud your opinion of your reloading skills. You can keep them.

StuBach
04-27-2021, 06:03 AM
Just going to say this. I think it’s kinda rude for everyone to have turned this thread into an argument over the FCD yet again. Which seems to happen every time a die thread gets started, let the hate go. If you hate the FCD, don’t use it, if you love it, have at. The creator of this thread just wanted honest opinions of what dies to buy and he’s gotten a ton of responses with opinion on which is best.

End result: buy the best you can afford and fits your need. All dies can be used to make quality ammo so you can’t really go wrong if you use solid technique.

Please everyone put the FCD argument to rest.

44MAG#1
04-27-2021, 09:45 AM
Just going to say this. I think it’s kinda rude for everyone to have turned this thread into an argument over the FCD yet again. Which seems to happen every time a die thread gets started, let the hate go. If you hate the FCD, don’t use it, if you love it, have at. The creator of this thread just wanted honest opinions of what dies to buy and he’s gotten a ton of responses with opinion on which is best.

End result: buy the best you can afford and fits your need. All dies can be used to make quality ammo so you can’t really go wrong if you use solid technique.

Please everyone put the FCD argument to rest.

It just isn't this forum it is all of them to some extent, some more than others.
When one asks a question everyone that answers takes the position that the OP has no knowledge on the subject so the professors start their educational process.
Some will also post with a system of maybe curiosity and nothing else but are just seeing what others are doing.
Some post just to start a conversation.
Some post to really get help but are bombarded by suggestions that would mean jumping through mental hoops for the unknowing to do or understand because they feel the more complicated they make it the better they look.
Some like to show off their knowledge so they unload it like they unload their 9MM at the local speed shoot.
It takes all kinds. That is what makes it interesting.

Soundguy
04-27-2021, 10:45 AM
im using lee 45acp dies.. and I have a lee universal expander that i use cor cast bullets of different calibers..

Doog-Meister
04-29-2021, 03:03 PM
RCBS carbide dies. 1,000's of rounds, Hornaday progressive press. never a problem.

Rich/WIS
04-29-2021, 04:42 PM
Have used Lee, RCBS and Hornady over the years. The Lee and RCBS went with the pistols when I sold them. When I broke down and had to have another 1911 picked up a Hornady 3 die set used with a 4th taper crimp die at a gun show for IIRC $30. Have been using them for about 15 years. They all loaded satisfactory ammo, although like a previous poster did not like the Lee sliding expander. A spacer to lock it in place and adjusting expansion by adjusting the die body and lock rings that were secured to the dies worked for me. Get the carbide set, adjust properly and don't look back.

JoeJames
04-29-2021, 05:09 PM
Definitely going carbide. Can you even get non carbide pistol dies these days?Certainly can - used ones. Just be careful. I have had excellent results with buying used dies from members, and they note which ones are carbide and which ain't.

ddixie884
04-29-2021, 05:48 PM
Things have changed a lot in the last year. For a long time I tried to buy good dies used and bought several sets of Lee dies for calibers I didn't expect to load a lot of, like .455 Eley. The way things are now if you need dies you have to take them where you find them and they bring more now.......

danmat
04-30-2021, 02:01 PM
I have 18 sets of dies, RCBS, Lyman, lee, and 1 set of Hornady . The Hornady dies are for 45 ACP, my son just recently bought a 1911 style 45 and the Hornady dies were the only one available. The problem with the Hornady it does not come with a crimp die, I adjusted the seater die to set the tapper crimp until I finally gave up and called Hornady and they said that set of dies does not come with a crimp function and I would have to buy a separate die, that cost something like $20.00 plus shipping. I ordered a Lee FCD for a lot less and some other stuff from Midway so I could get free shipping. The FCD works just fine. I've never had any problems with any of the different brands of dies including Lee. They all work as expected. I will say this though, I will never buy another set of Hornady dies.

I also found this out after I bought the Hornady die set.

mvintx
05-01-2021, 06:45 PM
Dillon dies here and I use the standard powder funnel/case expander with a 200 grain H&G #68 sized to .453". I get a little bit of case-swelling but they shoot great in my 1911.