PDA

View Full Version : Found out why LEE 223 decapping pin wont go flush with FL die

guy_with_boolits
04-17-2021, 09:32 PM
I have the LEE 223 full length sizing die

It has the collet on top that holds the decapping/expander pin.

I've never been able to get that pin to be flush with the top of the collet.

It sticks up 0.080" past the collet face.

I did a little measurement to see whats going on:

If I take the decapper/expander pin and put it in a 223 case

Then put a shell holder on the case head

And I measure from the top surface of the shell holder to the top of the pin, I get 3.077"

If I then measure 3.077" from the bottom of the FL sizing die, the top of the caliper goes right to 3.077" above the screwed in collet face, just like it does when its installed.

So...there is actually no way the pin would be flush with that collet face. The pin bottoms out on the top of the case head. Its not getting pushed up because the expander ball is too tight or the pin needs to be polished.

Just wondering what the hive mind thinks about this. Seen lots of posts on the world wide web about this situation and nobody mentioned this.

Good news is, its not a problem, apparently. Unless the expander ball wont work unless its lower..but thats not the case right?

Tim357
04-17-2021, 09:39 PM
As long as the brass gets deprimed, it doesn't matter. I've seen no issue with it being not flush

guy_with_boolits
04-17-2021, 09:43 PM
As long as the brass gets deprimed, it doesn't matter. I've seen no issue with it being not flush

what about the expander ball? isnt it "timed" with the die so it does its job

Hick
04-17-2021, 10:34 PM

Agree-- and I don't think it is designed or intended to be flush.

nhyrum
04-17-2021, 10:36 PM
The top of the pin could stick up 10 inches. Flush or not, I've never noticed

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

nhyrum
04-17-2021, 10:37 PM
what about the expander ball? isnt it "timed" with the die so it does its jobNope. All it needs to be us correctly sized. No matter what it's going to draw the brass to it's size

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

rbuck351
04-18-2021, 10:04 AM
If it works and you don't like it sticking out the top, cut it off. All of my lee dies decapper rod sticks out the top.

Three44s
04-18-2021, 10:11 AM
If it works and you don't like it sticking out the top, cut it off. All of my lee dies decapper rod sticks out the top.

This!

I was trying to get my head around this and see the problem. But there is not one.

Best regards

Three44s

imashooter2
04-18-2021, 11:23 AM
The top of the pin is supposed to be above the nut. This is Lee’s design in which the decapping pin is also a stuck case remover.

guy_with_boolits
04-18-2021, 12:07 PM
https://i.postimg.cc/J031ZvKR/Untitled.jpg

DaveF
04-18-2021, 02:19 PM
If you follow lee's instructions as shown in the above post, the first time you de-cap a case the de-cap rod will push up through the tightened de-capper clamp leaving about 0.10" sticking up, and the de-capper rod is then set up at optimum effective length, as it should be.

FLINTNFIRE
04-18-2021, 11:28 PM
I find I leave it up a hair and tighten the hell out of it as if it is not good and tight it pops out on a hard crimped primer .

Three44s
04-19-2021, 11:56 PM
I use my Lee Collet die to de-prime crimped primers. My Lee Full length die will not hold the de-capping pin in place on the toughest crimps.

I adjust the collet die to de-cap and no more with military cases (no neck sizing). Later I lube and FL size.

Three44s

robg
04-21-2021, 11:29 AM
its got to be tight and it doesnt need to be flush as long as it pushes out the primer.

Three44s
04-23-2021, 09:51 AM
I also had to tighten the daylights out of mine and still some really crimped in military primers would displace it. Hence my use of the collet die set shallow to de-prime but not neck size has been my go to.

Post primer crimp removal, I have no difficulty with unstaked primers with the FL die.

However the end of the de-capping stem on the Lee FL must protrude once it’s properly adjusted with a .223 Case.

Three44s