PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Tree lead hardness tester

vagabond
04-17-2021, 06:55 PM
There were rave reviews of the lead hardness tester formerly manufactured by Cabin Tree and I went in search of one. They sold that portion of the business to ST Machining Products. Does anyone have an opinion on the new model that they are manufacturing?

hermans
04-20-2021, 03:58 PM
I was also wondering about the quality of the new models....my one is an original Cabine Tree and is very well made.

Dog1
04-20-2021, 04:08 PM
Interesting I think I'm going to order one and see how they work. I'm a little tired of trying to use the magnifying thingamajig from the Lee testing kit.

https://cowboybullets.3dcartstores.com/Lead-Tester_p_57.html

John Boy
04-20-2021, 04:42 PM
First of all, a bullet base is where the test is performed
Secondly, this $120 tester doesn’t have a large enough opening & would not measure the hardness of an ingot
Thirdly, it’s a tool that has to be stored separately
So, with my Lee tester, permanently mounted on the turret with the universal deprimmer, immediate results in 30 seconds to determine a bullet hardness or an ingot up to 6 pounds

Dusty Bannister
04-20-2021, 06:22 PM
When I melt scrap lead or other sources, I usually cast sample bullets with a bullet mold for a wide flat nosed bullet. That prevents an error in reading at a shrinkage void in a bullet base. It looks like the opening between the spring base and the indent point will take up to a piece 1 1/2" thick. That should handle most cast ingots normally used by bullet casters. I suppose it all depends upon what you need and how you plan ahead to use the tools.

Ingots and bullets may not give the same test results due to a different cooling rate of the sample.

LenH
04-21-2021, 08:11 AM
Vagabond, I have one of the ST Machining testers, It is very well made and it gives pretty accurate results if I do my part right.

vagabond
04-21-2021, 10:56 PM
Thank you for the input. I will put it on the "list" of approved toys.

fredj338
04-30-2021, 01:18 AM
First of all, a bullet base is where the test is performed
Secondly, this $120 tester doesn’t have a large enough opening & would not measure the hardness of an ingot
Thirdly, it’s a tool that has to be stored separately
So, with my Lee tester, permanently mounted on the turret with the universal deprimmer, immediate results in 30 seconds to determine a bullet hardness or an ingot up to 6 pounds
I use a CT, test on the nose. Base testing is dubious if there is even a tiny void. I can test a pretty big i got, maybe 1"+ thickness? I don't make ingots bigger than that.